Tufts vs. UF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StillDreaming

Tufts c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I really don't know which school to pick. Both are OOS.
I'm interested in large animal medicine/surgery.

I love both schools, I'm just not sure which one holds more opportunities for me.

Members don't see this ad.

if finances are a factor for you, you are able to establish residency at UF if you move to Gainesville a full year before your sophomore year and be able to pay in state tuition!

They are both great schools!

Weather is definitely going to be a tiny bit different...as a native Massachusetts resident our winters can be brutal (but not as bad as elsewhere, that's for sure). That being said, I don't know if I can handle a Florida summer!

As far as being LA, they are both great. Caseload isn't everything by any means, but I think Florida probably wins on that. UF has an excellent reputation for LA, especially equine. It has the advantage of being at the heart of winter-equine activities by being near Ocala and Wellington. So I'm sure you'd see a lot of sport-horse (i.e. big budget) cases. Tufts on the other hand I'm sure has a good caseload, but there is a lot of competition with other local referral hospitals (Fairfield, NE Equine, Myhre, etc.). Also, from what I have heard, Tufts has very limited food animal on campus (they have a relationship with a clinic in CT I think). As a former local horseowner, Tufts has an unfortunate unfair reputation among a lot of horse people but I think that is getting better - I know Tufts has some fantastic clinicians and I personally wouldn't hesitate sending my horse in (other than my wallet hesitating...).

Establishing residency is definitely nice, and obviously with Tufts being Private this is probably not an option :(

Another thing that is going to be pretty different is the environment. Tufts is on an isolated campus which is great in a lot of ways - they have a ton of space, land, etc. It is a little creepy because there are several empty buildings that are all boarded up...I am pretty sure it used to be a mental institution! I am pretty sure UF is more connected with the other schools of the University. So it sort of depends what you're looking for. If you like the idea of being fully immersed in Vet Med with fewer distractions in a pretty New England town, Tufts might be great. If you want to feel like you are part of a big bustling University with more students of all types around in a college-town, then UF might be a better match. Clearly you have visited both so you will likely have a good feel for the differences!

No bad choice between them! Good luck and congrats!!

Both schools are going to offer a great education. Tufts does have a more established large animal program. Money is a big factor if you are taking out loans; please don't disregard the amount of debt you will be in, especially in this economy. You won't regret the decision to save money (if money is a factor for you).