Tuskegee 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's just so discouraging! I've been at this for years, went back to school, am about to graduate with a MS in biology (thesis pending lol), have worked as a Vet Tech for 5 years, what else do I have to do to even get considered?! Sorry just needed to vent Haha. I'm still praying every day that I get into Tuskegee
I've been a tech for 5 years as well! Are you into small animal?

Members don't see this ad.

I

I'm not sure, but I agree that it doesnt seem like a lot of people. I've only seen like 2 or 3 people posted on here that they have been accepted, however there could be a lot of applicants that dont even know this forum exists.. I wonder how many people were interviewed in total and are deciding between. Because typically their class size is 70ish but the first years who were showing us around said their class was only 50ish students. I know like 30 people were scheduled the day I interviewed.
Yeah, it's a little suspicious... I don't know why they don't just tell everyone at once so they could avoid people calling all of the time lol

I've been a tech for 5 years as well! Are you into small animal?

Yeah my experience is primarily small animal, but one clinic I worked at gave me some experience with exotics like birds, ducks, chickens, rabbits, hedgehogs, Guinea pigs, and reptiles. The other clinic was mixed animal with an emphasis on small but I got to work with some horses and goats!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah my experience is primarily small animal, but one clinic I worked at gave me some experience with exotics like birds, ducks, chickens, rabbits, hedgehogs, Guinea pigs, and reptiles. The other clinic was mixed animal with an emphasis on small but I got to work with some horses and goats!
No way! I currently work at a mixed practice with small and exotics! My heart is with small animals but I love large too!

No way! I currently work at a mixed practice with small and exotics! My heart is with small animals but I love large too!

The small ones are (usually) more domesticated and easier to work with so I prefer them but I really want to get better with large animals. Cause if I end up going to TU the tuition is SOOOOO much more than IS tuition anywhere that I'm going to have to do a loan forgiveness program with the government haha (and that's mostly large or food animal)

The small ones are (usually) more domesticated and easier to work with so I prefer them but I really want to get better with large animals. Cause if I end up going to TU the tuition is SOOOOO much more than IS tuition anywhere that I'm going to have to do a loan forgiveness program with the government haha (and that's mostly large or food animal)
Yeah, one of my friend's will be doing a similar thing with the USDA! Especially since you have a masters it'll help you be more competitive for that.

It's just so discouraging! I've been at this for years, went back to school, am about to graduate with a MS in biology (thesis pending lol), have worked as a Vet Tech for 5 years, what else do I have to do to even get considered?! Sorry just needed to vent Haha. I'm still praying every day that I get into Tuskegee

Don't get discouraged out IS! I got denied from my IS too AND I'm finishing up my M.S in Biology with years of tech experience. I don't know what our IS was looking for lol. I'm sure you're going to get into TU! They're just moving super slow.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't get discouraged out IS! I got denied from my IS too AND I'm finishing up my M.S in Biology with years of tech experience. I don't know what our IS was looking for lol. I'm sure you're going to get into TU! They're just moving super slow.

Thanks for the encouragement! Im trying to be patient but apperantly its something I need to work on! I think I saw you posting on my IS school's forum too! You're from GA, right?

Thanks for the encouragement! Im trying to be patient but apperantly its something I need to work on! I think I saw you posting on my IS school's forum too! You're from GA, right?

Yup! Have they ever told you exactly what the problem was?

What their issue would be with your application? Or is that your first time applying IS?

Oh, I'm not sure, but I plan on doing the counselling session that they offer to see! This is actually my third time applying, first time was in fall 2015 (didn't think anything of getting rejected my first time), I applied last cycle hoping to defer for a year or fast-track my thesis research to finish early:laugh: BUT there was an issue with my VMCAS application never being verified, so my application wasn't looked at. So this cycle is only the second time they looked at my application. Still, I would think years of technician experience and an anticipated MS in Biology would get us like... at least on the waitlist or something!

Yeah, one of my friend's will be doing a similar thing with the USDA! Especially since you have a masters it'll help you be more competitive for that.

Yeah, USDA is the thing I was talking about! I hope a master's will help- even though my thesis has nothing to do with large/food animal med haha. :cow:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to let y’all know who are curious. About 125 students interviewed I think and they’re are accepting 65. Tuskegee is very slow with everything lol even after you get accepted you’ll be waiting around to hear what the next steps are. We didnt get much info until right before school started so everything related to Tuskegee is a waiting game lol. So try not to get discouraged!

Reactions: 3 users
On APVMA one girl said she got an email yesterday...

Heads up, the tornado that killed 23 in Alabama is around Auburn and right next to Tuskegee so I'm not sure how they are doing over there, but hopefully everyone is safe!!

Anyone have an idea when more acceptances will go out?? Not hearing anything in the middle of March is freaking me out

TUCVM Grad here! If it helps anyone calm their nerves even just a bit lol, I got my acceptance letter like the last week of March. Don't forget some accepted students are still on their in state school's waiting list. If their spot opens, that just another empty seat that needs to be filled :)

TUCVM Grad here! If it helps anyone calm their nerves even just a bit lol, I got my acceptance letter like the last week of March. Don't forget some accepted students are still on their in state school's waiting list. If their spot opens, that just another empty seat that needs to be filled :)

Thank you for the encouragement!

Would you happen to have any advice in terms of possible housing options for Tuskegee?

I was warned of the importance of finding a place to stay as soon as possible since we'd be competing against Auburn students for housing as well. Honestly I'm a little worried about having to stay 20-30 min away from the school.

Thanks for the encouragement! I've been feeling down about it lately (not knowing an answer still)... I'm still trying to be positive though. :)

Would you happen to have any advice in terms of possible housing options for Tuskegee?

I was warned of the importance of finding a place to stay as soon as possible since we'd be competing against Auburn students for housing as well. Honestly I'm a little worried about having to stay 20-30 min away from the school.
Majority of students live in auburn/opelika area. That 25min drive everyday isn’t as bad as you think bc it’s straight highway all the way to school. You get use to it and it doesn’t seem that bad at all. Of course living 5 mins from the school if beneficial but there is literally nothing in Tuskegee. Anytime you want to go the the store or get food you have to drive to auburn. There are also some people who live in Montgomery as well. That’s about 30 mins but still straight highway. But I do agree on finding a place soon after you get your acceptance letter.

Reactions: 2 users
I went ahead and signed my lease at Auburn Village - it's a really good housing place with no breed or weight restriction!

I got accepted yesterday but am going to decline so hopefully someone gets my seat

Does anyone know how the waitlist works? I emailed Mr. Perry last week and asked if there was a way to tell where we stand on the waitlist (like if it's numbered or not) but haven't heard back.

Do any accepted students want to start a groupme or a facebook page or something?

Did anyone else's heart about jump out of their chest when they got the email about the waitlist from Mrs. Turk this morning only to find out it was just a notice saying they haven't made decisions yet?!

I just got accepted off the wait list. I will be declining. Good luck to whoever gets my spot!! :)

Hey all! I also was accepted off of the wait list and will be declining. Congrats and good luck to the next in line!:)

Is any one applying here? I have found that they make it very difficult by wanting everything on paper. Is it ok to request official transcripts to be sent to me and then I send them all together by certified mail?
Hi everyone! I'm only a sophomore in college rn, so I have a little bit to go until I apply to Vet School. But I just wanted to ask the people who applied to Tuskegee what their GPA was or anything that you put in your application to stand out. I am a little worried that my GPA will be the factor that will kill my application. It is currently a 3.0 but I am trying to get it higher. I had a 3.4 my freshman year but I didn't do well in Biology.. I know grades are not exactly everything in your application to Vet school, but I love Tuskegee and I consider that my "dream vet school!" Sorry for the long post lol this is my first time on here.

Hi everyone! I'm only a sophomore in college rn, so I have a little bit to go until I apply to Vet School. But I just wanted to ask the people who applied to Tuskegee what their GPA was or anything that you put in your application to stand out. I am a little worried that my GPA will be the factor that will kill my application. It is currently a 3.0 but I am trying to get it higher. I had a 3.4 my freshman year but I didn't do well in Biology.. I know grades are not exactly everything in your application to Vet school, but I love Tuskegee and I consider that my "dream vet school!" Sorry for the long post lol this is my first time on here.

You still have time to boost your GPA, so keep striving for higher! I graduated undergrad with a 3.37 but pursued M.S and I currently have a 3.81 (but they focused on my undergrad). SHADOWING is major. The more experience you have, the better. The great thing about TU is that they do an interview - so they get to see you in person to really see if this is something you want to do. Get involved too - build your CV and have fun!