Two semesters of biochem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babytomato

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I noticed that a lot of dental schools only require one semester of biochem. Since it's part of the dental school curriculum, would it be helpful to take biochem II?

Members don't see this ad.

I noticed that a lot of dental schools only require one semester of biochem. Since it's part of the dental school curriculum, would it be helpful to take biochem II?

I doubt it will be helpful.

In my undergrad, I had the option of taking a two course biochemistry sequence through the Chemistry department or one course through the Biology department.

I took the one course with the Bio department 2+ years ago in undergrad, and was fine in Biochemistry last term in dental school. You definitely don't need two terms.

At my dental school, everything was taught from the ground up (including memorizing the amino acids and their structures, etc.) and I think an undergrad course would only be useful for providing you with an introduction to biochemistry before rapidly reaching the point of diminishing returns.

Bottom line: if you're interested in other courses, take them and do the one semester of biochemistry in college. You'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
I doubt it will be helpful.

In my undergrad, I had the option of taking a two course biochemistry sequence through the Chemistry department or one course through the Biology department.

I took the one course with the Bio department 2+ years ago in undergrad, and was fine in Biochemistry last term in dental school. You definitely don't need two terms.

At my dental school, everything was taught from the ground up (including memorizing the amino acids and their structures, etc.) and I think an undergrad course would only be useful for providing you with an introduction to biochemistry before rapidly reaching the point of diminishing returns.

Bottom line: if you're interested in other courses, take them and do the one semester of biochemistry in college. You'll be fine.

Okay, that helps! Thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently taking Biochem II at my university and I don't regret taking it at all. The curriculum at my school does a great job of incorporating clinical companies into each chapter, as well as enlighting us on the research methods used to discover these relationships. In my opinion, if you are desiring to be involved in research it would do a great job exposing you to information that can change the way you think about science material.

Reactions: 1 user
If the Dschools you want to attend don’t teach biochem, then it would maybe be helpful. Otherwise 1 semester is good!