This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Manny Q's

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
School: The University of Texas at Austin
Major: Biology 3rd year
Background: Latino, 1st generation, low income
cGPA: 3.21
sciGPA: 3.0
MCAT: taking it in Summer

I have one semester left until I apply to med schools in TX. I am a first generation college student from a low-income family who lives in south TX. I started off my first semester not even knowing basic chemistry due to my high school's lack of decent teachers... I've struggled a lot to adapt to college not only academically, but mentally. Ive also struggled with panic-attack disorder for years which has caused me trips to the ER and loss of focus in school. There has been an upward trend in my grades and activities however. I have done research in biochemistry since my first semester of college, EMT with patient-care experience (180 hours of training in ER/lecture), leadership positions for 3 orgs, involved in a fraternity for 2 years, HS and college student mentor, I have done some doctor shadowing for a local clinic, volunteered to teach science lectures for elementary-middle school, and have organized two global outreach projects.
UT is known as the harder Texas school and average GPA of accepted longhorns ~ 3.6. How are my chances of getting in looking if I score ok -->well on the MCAT ? I plan on taking my MCAT in the summer but I'm not a very good test-taker.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You would need a MCAT of 505 or higher to have a chance for MD interviews. 5oo would be OK for some DO schools. Do not take the MCAT until your practice scores are over 505. If you plan to apply in this upcoming cycle you would need to take the MCAT no later than July for MD schools.

Reactions: 1 user