U of MN supplemental app question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MuskieMan33

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'm filling out the U of MN supplemental app through their website and came across something. It is the "Statement of Contribution to the Program/Diversity" and here is exactly what it says:

"In evaluating an applicant's potential contribution to diversity, the DDS Admissions Committee considers the following factors: geographic diversity (e.g. rural), first generation college student, financial need, disadvantaged educational background, racial and ethnic diversity, evidence of outstanding leadership, special talents, high academic potential, unique work or service experience, community involvement, experience and/or interest in research or teaching, and interest in providing dental services to underserved areas. The School of Dentistry is committed to enrolling and graduating a diverse student body of thought, interest, background, and intellect. Diversity enhances the educational experience of all students and better prepares our graduates to practice dentistry in today's world. If accepted into the DDS program, how will you contribute to the University of Minnesota School of Dentistry and to the profession of dentistry? Please also include your contribution to diversity in this essay and be sure to cite important points from your experiences. Please limit your comments to 6000 characters."

To me, this sounds extremely similar to the personal statement. Can anyone who is applying to U of MN enlighten me, do they want me to type another, different statement, or is there no shame in using my personal statement? My personal statement covers basically everything they are wanting to touch on. I just don't want to hurt my chances if I use my personal statement and they were wanting something different or if they were wanting my personal statement and I type something else... Any help or insight would be helpful!! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm actually in the process of writing one and to be honest, I can't shake the feeling that I am just writing an "unabridged" version of my personal statement. As far as the wording of the question goes, I think that's exactly what they want: more insight.
Oh and don't forget we didn't even cover the orientation to dentistry statement :hungover:

Awesome! Thank you for the reply! Part of me doesn't want to keep typing more, and more, and more. But if thats what I need to do, then thats what I'll do. I guess I'll write a slightly different version of my personal statement and go into a little more detail on a few of the topics.

The orientation to dentistry statement doesn't seem as bad though, at least to me. Maybe I'll change my mind when it comes time to type it.

I wrote about cultural diversity and how I use my knowledge of different cultures to solve problems in my life.

also included my bg as a first generation etc etc