U of Pitt or Ohio State?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thompsonae12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm trying to decide between U of Pitt and OSU. If you interviewed at both of these places, how did you compare them in your mind? Both places would be about the same in cost and living cost is pretty equal too. Any impressions or opinions on which one is a better school? And why?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I'm trying to decide between U of Pitt and OSU. If you interviewed at both of these places, how did you compare them in your mind? Both places would be about the same in cost and living cost is pretty equal too. Any impressions or opinions on which one is a better school? And why?

I didnt inverview at OSU, but I had 4 other interviews (NYU, Marquette, Midwestern, Temple, Pitt) and out of those 5, Pitt was on the top of my list.

Obviously a great school.

The biggest thing that stood out to me was the amount of specialties that they had there. They had them all and if you are interested you can get a TON of experience in a specialty if you want.
Also they give you time to study for the boards (first part) which is a HUGE thing, because many schools do not. additionally, they allow you to take them after your first year, which is great because all of the sciences that you take your first year you will more fresh in your memory than if you took them a whole year later.

Lastly, Pitt was an awesome school and the people there were REALLY nice. A lot of the dental students looked happy and when I talked to them, they were very positive. That makes a big difference, because if the students arent happy or look upset thats not a good sign.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: 1 user
I didnt inverview at OSU, but I had 4 other interviews (NYU, Marquette, Midwestern, Temple, Pitt) and out of those 5, Pitt was on the top of my list.

Obviously a great school.

The biggest thing that stood out to me was the amount of specialties that they had there. They had them all and if you are interested you can get a TON of experience in a specialty if you want.
Also they give you time to study for the boards (first part) which is a HUGE thing, because many schools do not. additionally, they allow you to take them after your first year, which is great because all of the sciences that you take your first year you will more fresh in your memory than if you took them a whole year later.

Lastly, Pitt was an awesome school and the people there were REALLY nice. A lot of the dental students looked happy and when I talked to them, they were very positive. That makes a big difference, because if the students arent happy or look upset thats not a good sign.

Hope that helps!

Okay, thanks for the advice! It actually does help me to hear opinions from other people about the schools. I do think I am definitely leaning towards accepting Pitt.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll make you a pros and cons sheet for Pitt (in my opinion; I went to undergrad there and worked extensively in the dental school)

Pros:
1) Early clinical rotations first year - tissue charting, placing dental dam, getting introduced to specialties, assisting, etc.
2) Academically strong, research available to you.
3) Staff and students very cohesive and proud of their school. If you like college sports we have them and they are cheap to attend, and FUN!
4) Located on an undergrad campus, have a chance to meet pre-dental students and spread the word about dentistry and help people follow in your footsteps. Also have the libraries and restaurants there to use, younger girls to date, etc.
5) Beautiful sim labs and specialty clinics.
6) Comp care clinics are nice as well, not brand new, but digital charting and digital radiography. From my observation, everyone loved the clinical instructors watching you. They were even nice to me as a researcher. Also, the people in the equipment dispensary are very pleasant. I can't say a bad word about the clinics.
7) City is low crime, low noise, and pretty much low key. Rent is dirt cheap. You can get a beer for $2 and pizza for $5, no Manhattan prices here. Parking is $20 a year on the street with an apartment lease, can't beat that.
8) White coat ceremony is first year. Some schools do it later like before you enter clinic. Here, treated as a professional from day one.
9) Human cadaver lab - Not many schools have this, they use prosected cadavers or use embalmed cadavers (a la Bodies Exhibit). You actually get to dissect the facial anatomy yourself, pretty cool in my opinion.
10) Every clinic has a secretary to do the scheduling and financial counselors that you drop the patient off at after the appointment. You won't be doing too much of that yourself.

Cons:
1) Weather can be pretty harsh, lots of rain and snow. Cloud cover galore.
2) Block schedule - first year exams every week, sometimes twice a week (according to the D1s)
3) Some things like waxing and teeth carving still going on. I know some schools have cut this out for you and have the lab do it - maybe a consideration? Expect lab work at any school!
4) Patient disappointment rate - In private practice this should be like 20% max, Dr. Etzel would only tell me it's 30% + at Pitt. Whoever said "I am concerned about getting patients to stay" may have been telling the truth. Not sure on this one, the clinics did seem to have a little down time, but mostly were always crowded.
5) Lack of rotations, externships, international opportunities - I could be wrong here, but I didn't really perceive an emphasis on getting the dental students outside of the friendly confines of the dental school. Not sure, ask a D3/D4.

Compare this to Ohio.

Ohio State is a great school - I have done all of my undergraduate studies here and also work through the college of dentistry as a student assistant as well as a research assistant. All the faculty are very nice and want you to succeed. Also, all of the classes seem to be very close and help one another out. As for the area, Columbus is a GREAT city & there is a TON to do :) Any questions -- feel free to message me!

Ohio State is a great school - I have done all of my undergraduate studies here and also work through the college of dentistry as a student assistant as well as a research assistant. All the faculty are very nice and want you to succeed. Also, all of the classes seem to be very close and help one another out. As for the area, Columbus is a GREAT city & there is a TON to do :) Any questions -- feel free to message me!

I second everything said here! I received my B.S. from OSU in June and will be attending dent school here next year. I'd ask around in the Dental Students forum if you want more opinions from current dent students. I know BigBrightSmile is a current student who still checks SDN, so you could try to pm her!

If you have general questions about Columbus/OSU feel free to pm me!

If you need a Pitt contact private message "vicviper". He's a D4 at Pitt or may have just graduated, I forget.

I am debating the same thing.. will its actually between Roseman, OSU, Pitt, and Case

yes it is. I am just getting second thoughts because of the cost. everyone is telling me that i should go to the cheapest school, end of story. problem is i don't know if i actually want to go to the other schools.

I see your dilemma. What are their tuition and fees per year?

74k w/o living
everywhere else i pay oos which some is about the same but some are 10k - 20k cheaper

Members don't see this ad :)
74k w/o living
everywhere else i pay oos which some is about the same but some are 10k - 20k cheaper

If it's only 10k-20k cheaper, then I would say just stay with roseman. If you're going to commute to roseman, then that would knock out a lot of living expenses as well.

Yeah you do get in state at OSU after year 1, so that's a big plus! At Pitt the difference in tuition between the two is only like 5 or 6k. Are there any dental people at OSU that could list some pros and cons? :D

if anyone has specific questions about pitt you can message me, i am a student at pitt dent. i'm really happy i went here, the class size (80) is a huge plus for getting to know the professors/instructors on an intimate enough basis that they give great letters of rec specializing is really easy to do if you want to (all the ortho ppl matched this year, only one anesthesia guy didn't but he didn't want to go to pitt so that affected his chances, prostho is very open to our own students 1 guy applied and he was accepted, all the ppl that applied to the pitt endo from the 4 yr class got accepted to pitt endo, and i know of a few perio ppl already). It's a fun city to watch sports and even though the pirates stink going to their games is cheap and a good experience. The faculty and staff are very approachable eager to help. The pairing with a big in the upper class (like a big brother/sister) really helps you get to know the upperclassmen which helps BIG TIME when it comes to exam time, clinic techniques, and getting to know the school and city. The school has all the clubs and activities you can want which gives you a very easy chance to take on leadership opportunities which is huge for your CV. The school seems to be over it's transition into a new curriculum which makes the incoming class have a huge advantage of knowing how things are going to run. Hope this helps

First off, congratulations on getting accepted into dental school(s)! I'm currently a dental student at OSU and I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you have. After glancing through the pros vs. cons list that dantemac posted, I think both schools are quite similar. Like Pitt, you'll have clinical exposure in your first year and get to work with hand tools and hand pieces in dental lab. If you're a fan of sports, you'll no doubt have heard all about the Buckeyes! (and their lackluster season this year...moving on...) The dental school is still a part of the undergrad campus, but also located closely with other professional schools. I really like Columbus, and I couldn't be happier with my choice of school. Personally, if I were in your position, I'd first consider tuition costs and then location. It seems tuition isn't much of a difference, so ask yourself, where can you see yourself living and enjoying it for 4 years, or possibly more? If you got any more questions, just ask!

I sit 2 rows behind ELBuccinator in class and agree It's really nice to be right in the middle of the undergrad/medical campus. Most dental schools are isolated from their affiliated universities and aren't in the most desirable parts of town. There's lots to do in Columbus, I wish I would have gone here for undergrad when I could have enjoyed it more.

More Pros...
I find it really nice that we have a very outgoing and cohesive class, even after 10 weeks of school everyone seems to know each other pretty well. For example, right after the 1st anatomy exam, 60 of us (out of 108) spent the afternoon at the Mad Mex happy hour. Classmates are more than willing to help each other. This may not seem like an important deciding factor, but right now we are in the middle of finals week and have realized its impossible to memorize every little piece of information. My classmates have posted several really good study guides for every final making this week much less stressful and more manageable.

Students are held to extremely high standards by faculty in preclinic classes and upperclassmen feel they have above average hand skills when entering the clinic. I guess every dental school will tell you that, but it does seem to be the case here. After only a few months in clinic, my housemate got to extract an impacted wisdom tooth in the OMS dept. Also, every specialty is represented including one of the only accredited dental anesthesiology programs in the country. It's pretty cool to be in the same building as one of the most respected medical and research facilities in the country (OSU hospital and James Cancer research center).

CONS
Dress code. It's just as stupid as their way of enforcing it. Even during summer, shorts aren't even allowed in class because the classrooms are technically part of the CoD. I feel like an undergrad freshman again constantly threatened with being "written up". But I think there are more important factors to consider than dress code when picking a school.
http://dent.osu.edu/OAA/student_affairs/dresscode_2010-2011.pdf

The basic science curriculum is outdated. Not so much what we are taught, but how it's presented. I'd prefer a block schedule or systems approach like what a lot of schools are adopting. This didn't factor into my decision to go here because it really only applies to non-dental classes.

The building is old. The preclinic labs and patient clinic are dated and sometimes stuff doesn't work. I don't believe that this affects the educational experience at all, it's just an inconvenience. We still have access to and can be familiar with high tech and modern equipment. Unfortunately, the new dean (who I'm not a huge fan of) wants to build a new dental school building, so they won't be doing any renovations. By the time he jumps through all the hoops to get that done, all of us will have graduated, but I'm pretty sure I can still be competent when I graduate without having had my own flat screen in a state of the art preclinic bay.

Feel free to message with any other questions. Overall, the good outweighs the bad. I'm just at the end of my first quarter so I'm sure I'll find many more reasons to love and hate this place.

But at Ohio State you get instate tuition after the first year, if I'm not mistaken.

Add on to what Pitt said..

OSU has some cool residency "guidelines" and "exceptions" as well:

I will be filing C-4, granted immediate in-state due to my previous military experience.

As you will be able to read from the below link, there are some good opportunities to be granted in-state tuition at OSU. I know other schools are not even close to being this lenient with tuition.

http://registrar.osu.edu/Residency/Guidelines.asp

There are also these exceptions as well:
http://registrar.osu.edu/Residency/Exceptions.asp

You now have two extensive pro and con lists for each school. Let us know what school you decide!

Oooh, there's a Mad Mex in Columbus too? I had no idea!

Mad Mexs' corporate policy says they are only built near college campuses. The one in Shadyside (Pittsburgh) was the first one to violate that strategy.

Mad Mexs' corporate policy says they are only built near college campuses. The one in Shadyside (Pittsburgh) was the first one to violate that strategy.

You know what though... that's my favorite one by far! You can actually see AND hear the person sitting across from you! haha

I'm not 100% sure about the OP, but I'm personally leaning towards Pitt at this point.. but ugh, this is definitely a very tough decision!

Reactions: 1 user
You know what though... that's my favorite one by far! You can actually see AND hear the person sitting across from you! haha

I'm not 100% sure about the OP, but I'm personally leaning towards Pitt at this point.. but ugh, this is definitely a very tough decision!

I only went on the day it opened, so the wait for me + my girlfriend was like 3 hours. But I'm sure it's nice lol