UC Applicants: Post updates here!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BRUINGOLD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

How is everyone doing with the UC's?? This process is completely frustrating the hell out of me. Please post if you got an interview and the campus. Also, let us know how the interview was (i.e. stressful, relaxed, etc.). And if you have any funny moments, please post. I got a kick out of the 'bizarre interview moments' thread!!

Members don't see this ad.

funny moments? my UC interviews last year were quite unfunny actually.... especially my UCSF interview, which was just sad sad sad~~~

Well, at least you got interviewed! I heard UCSF rejects most people pre-secondary. Better luck this year, dude!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, 140 views and no one else has any updates???

Oh ok, I didn't know about that. I'll try and find that thread.

it's a pain to search for uc threads b/c the search word must have at least 3 characters :(

i got a letter from ucsf the other day (post secondary) that was pretty cryptic saying they could not grant an interview but i am on hold depending on the number of applicants that do not go then there is the chance of an interview or something like that...does this go to everyone not granted an interview post secondary??? not sure what to make of it...sounds like a rejection to me. anyone else in the same boat or know about this???

a cryptic letter like that is something I have never heard of. I think it'd be a good idea to call them for clarification.

okay, my UC update...... no interviews so far!!
and nothing, absolutely nothing, heard from UCSF after my AMCAS. I heard the UCSF secondary is as easy as last year's, though, so that's a good thing... if i do get that secondary later on.

Waiting on a secondary from UC Irvine (starting to give up).

Waiting for interviews UCSF and UCLA, put on hold for an interview at UC San Diego, and going to a UC Davis interview on December 3.

i got that letter from UCSF too. Sounds like a "hold for interview" ie "fat chance for an interview" :(

One of my friends who got a hold for interview at UCSF was offered one later in the interview season (February or March). So it's definately still a possibility. If you really want to go there, it might be a good idea to write the adcom a brief letter expressing that you really hope they give you a chance, and grant you an interview.

if anybody got a post-secondary rejection from ucsf did it come by mail or email? i'm still trying to hold out hope but preparing for the worst.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't gotten secondaries from UC Davis or UC Irvine. I did not bother applying to UCSF b/c I felt it was way out of my league. Also, I didn't apply to UCSD, although, I should've.

Has anyone been rejected pre-secondary from UCD or UCI?? If so, do they send you an email or snail mail? I'd really like to know what to look out for.

so i guess ucsf did send out a batch of those letters....i was also put on hold at ucsd and i never heard a thing from ucla (after turning in the primary) so i gave up on them. the thing that i was wondering about ucsf is do they reject post secondary this early or does everyone get that letter...does anyone know? how about ucsd...does everyone not initially granted an interview get the "hold for possible interview"? just wondering if anyone knew...thanks!

i had a thin envelope from ucsf today and thought it was a rejection letter. then i saw it was addressed to "neighbor" :laugh:

same thing happened with georgetown the other day only it was addressed to my roommate and i actually had my hopes up that it was an interview!

i am still waiting on ucla for a secondary. ho hum... not expecting one at this point.

Waiting sucks and the UC's are notorious for being insanely slow. I've been compulsively checking my email. I think I'm driving my roommates crazy. :D.

ucsf rejection post-secondary pre-interview by snail mail 8 weeks post app complete. no update on website

8 weeks later? Damn, painfully slow.

i think the whole thing with the uc's is just so random. never heard from ucla still...i don't think i will get a secondary at this pt. i guess that with the others you just kind of have to wait it out. some people act like the hold is a rejection and others say it is possible to get an interview still...i hope the latter is true.

Yeah, it's definitely a random process. Some people with great stats get rejected pre-secondary and some with not so great stats get secondaries and interviews. You never know exactly what they are looking for. To top it off, each campus' process is completely different. I would think if somebody got a secondary from UCSF, the rest would follow, but that's not the case.

Has anyone actually received an interview at UCSD after they've been placed on hold for interview? Is this basically a rejection?

Originally posted by airecken
Has anyone actually received an interview at UCSD after they've been placed on hold for interview? Is this basically a rejection?

It wasn't me (I received one of those post-secondary hold letters too :() but a guy I met yesterday at my Drew/UCLA interview said he was on that list too for about 3 weeks, they took him off and interviewed him. A few days later, he got accepted to UCSD. So, its not a rejection, and you still have a shot. (I don't really wanna go to UCSD though).

Originally posted by UCSBPre-Med
a guy I met yesterday at my Drew/UCLA interview said he was on that list too for about 3 weeks, they took him off and interviewed him.

Hey Yoda (UCSBPreMed),

How was your Drew interview? I've been away for a few days, so if you've already shared, please let me know which thread. Thanks!

I hope the UC's won't leave us hanging over the thanksgiving holiday. :(

With the way the UC process is going, I'm hoping they don't leave us hanging over the Christmas holidays!! :eek:

just logged into uc irvine's status check.
on hold for interview :mad:
there goes my chance at the uc's.

hey peeps, just logged in to the UCSD website and it says that a final decision letter has been sent...I assume rejection seeing that I didn't even get a secondary...that sucks!! I got one from them last year, so I think I'm going to appeal...that's just wrong!

that sucks dr don :(
these uc's make NO sense.

Some more stats for y'all

UCI - recieved secondary, application completed 11/05
UCSD- app. complete 10/01, Interview 11/12
UCLA - haven't heard a thing
UCD - received secondary, app. complete 10/01
UCSF - app. complete 10/31, interview 12/03

FYI for anyone that cares...When I was at my interview at UCSD I specifically asked the Dean what to expect after the interview in terms of waiting etc. He said 10% of the interviewees are accepted, 80% are put into the acceptable pool/waitlist, and the other 10% are rejected. He also said that the waitlist is ranked quantatively and most of the movement on it occurs beginning in March.

fyi trix,
my uci app was complete 11/8, and i just got word. you may (or may not... who the hell knows with these schools!) be hearing soon. good luck!

Oh, gosh! Looks like we opened up the UC can o' worms today!! :( Sorry to hear that, guys.

I'm a nervous mess when i check my mail now. :laugh:

Yeah, I'm nervous every time I check my email now, but I really want to know what's going on either way.

updates? what updates? i haven't heard a peep from a uc school in about a month...

Dr Don - just a heads up...
I was "late" turning in my secondary for UCSD :rolleyes: basically the deadline for me was the 25th of october (for weeks after they received my info from AMCAS) that day, UCSD sent a letter to me saying that my application had been withdrawn from their school...
but I had already mailed in my secondary (the letters crossed in the mail) so I got another email asking me to submit LORs ASAP..
needless to say I was concerned. I emailed, and while they said that they'll still consider me app, I'm skeptical. My point is that the letter UCSD mailed to you might be one saying that your app has been withdrawn... not that you've been rejected.
If thats the case, I'm sure you can always pester them and say that the usmail was slow....
all in all though, I'm really losing interest in the UC schools... its just too many hoops to jump through. Consider UCSF REPEATED threat to destroy any and all materials which arrive ahead of your secondary - just how often can I bug my premed office?

ucsd pre-secondary rejection letter sent.

-i emailed ucsd for a challenge to hold status and they said no.
-i emailed uci for possible interview and they said i'm on hold and wouldn't be considered until they've reviewed everyone and there are open slots.

I'm with you, dude! The whole UC process just sucks. I'm losing interest too. I'm tired of waiting around months just to get a freakin' secondary! :mad:

just thought I'd add my info:

UCI: app complete 10/15, file "pending review"
UCSD: pre-interview hold (everyone's favorite :rolleyes: )
UCLA: still waiting (since the summer) for a secondary
UCD: app complete 11/15, no word yet
UCSF: saved myself money and a fat rejection by not applying

hope everyone is having better luck than I am. :) :)

Haha, sunnybunny, my UC status is exactly the same as yours for all the UC schools (i didnt apply to UCSF either)...............I go to UCSD too! Boy, we must have the same stats or something.........

Jetson

me and a couple of people i knwo (4 othres) just withdrew from ucsd interviews -- should open up slots (the interview date was in jan sometime)

Originally posted by jot
me and a couple of people i knwo (4 othres) just withdrew from ucsd interviews -- should open up slots (the interview date was in jan sometime)
Thanks, jot (& your buddies too) for the consideration. :) Their hold for interview list is getting way too long.

I didn't apply to UCSF, either. I'm now wishing I had applied to UCSD. I've only heard from one UC so far and that was just for a secondary. :(

UCI- no word
UCD-no word
UCSF- rejected
UCSD- rejected
UCLA- Interview

dr. Deez, thats rough. Sorry about that.

At least you have LA. Go Bruins!

i haven't heard anything from any of the uc's in awhile either. ucla is the worst. i havent' heard from them since i submitted the primary. ucsf sent the letter putting me on hold after the 2ndary last week. ucsd-hold for possible interview and ucd--no word either.

Dr. Deez, that's cool you got some love from UCLA! :D It's a great school. I go to the undergrad and I'm really hoping to get in to the med school.

Nygirl, for me the worst are UCD and UCI, haven't heard anything from them since I submitted the AMCAS.

hi ppl

heres some insight into ucla. to get a secondary, u basically need a 3.5 in science and overall and a 10 in each section. small deviations like a single 9 and 11s on science sections of the mcat will do the job too.

just thought this might answer some of your qs about secondaries.....but i would really wana know what is it they look for in order to get an interview.

Actually, Im not sure about that ramz. I personally know someone who received a secondary from UCLA with a 5 on verbal (yes, a 5) and 11B, 11P. His science GPA is like 3.65 and he is not URM. He's a friend of mine and I havent seen his amcas but I dont think he has an super extraordinary extracurriculars either but that's just my opinion. Kind of peeved cause my MCAT and GPA is higher than his and I am waiting on a secondary still. Oh well.

Jetson

thats extremely unusual as a friend of mine with a 3.97 gpa and a 12 13 6V did not recieve a secondary yet. this UC thing is VERY WEIRD!

Dude, the UC thing is completely random and f'd up!