UC Consortium 2018-2019 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry, dumb question, but by state college do you mean community college? I'm in a similar boat where I haven't heard from anyone (except UCI rejection). I was wondering if you knew if by re-taking courses at a local community college would be looked down upon.
Hi! I meant state college as in CSUs, like CSU Los Angeles, CSU East Bay, etc.

From people I have talked to, like medical students and deans, they generally agree that you should not take your pre-requisites at a community college. However, of course, if you cannot afford to take the classes anywhere else, community college classes are acceptable. There is no set rule of where to take classes, but everyone on admissions has his/her own unintentional biases whether they explicitly state it or not while reviewing applications. Overall, you won't be penalized for taking classes at a community college, but my suggestion would be to classes at a CSU to avoid any potential biases admissions team may have on your application.

If you read the post by "bone apple teeth," he/she said

"Interviewed at UCI and they suggested I retake physics and calc as well. Community level is perfectly fine for those classes I was told during my interview. Especially if cost is an issue. I'm planning to retake those classes at my local CC this year and applying again in January for the postbacc again. I believe that is why I was waitlisted and received no other invitations. Those core classes need to be done in order to take advantage of the mcat prep each program offers. UCI was really the only school that would allow you to retake those courses cause their mcat prep wasn't until next spring. All other schools start with mcat prep in summer so if your core classes are low or not passing, chances are that's why they passed you up for interviews and acceptances (at least according to what UCI told me). Hope that helps!"

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
just checking in. has anyone been invited to interview since last time this was asked?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I meant state college as in CSUs, like CSU Los Angeles, CSU East Bay, etc.

From people I have talked to, like medical students and deans, they generally agree that you should not take your pre-requisites at a community college. However, of course, if you cannot afford to take the classes anywhere else, community college classes are acceptable. There is no set rule of where to take classes, but everyone on admissions has his/her own unintentional biases whether they explicitly state it or not while reviewing applications. Overall, you won't be penalized for taking classes at a community college, but my suggestion would be to classes at a CSU to avoid any potential biases admissions team may have on your application.

If you read the post by "bone apple teeth," he/she said

"Interviewed at UCI and they suggested I retake physics and calc as well. Community level is perfectly fine for those classes I was told during my interview. Especially if cost is an issue. I'm planning to retake those classes at my local CC this year and applying again in January for the postbacc again. I believe that is why I was waitlisted and received no other invitations. Those core classes need to be done in order to take advantage of the mcat prep each program offers. UCI was really the only school that would allow you to retake those courses cause their mcat prep wasn't until next spring. All other schools start with mcat prep in summer so if your core classes are low or not passing, chances are that's why they passed you up for interviews and acceptances (at least according to what UCI told me). Hope that helps!"
Thank you!!!

Just some info. I believe UCSF is done with interviews and they told me they will meet May 10 and the 17th. They will let everyone who interviewed May 17- June 1st. Best of luck to everyone.

Reactions: 1 users
Just some info. I believe UCSF is done with interviews and they told me they will meet May 10 and the 17th. They will let everyone who interviewed May 17- June 1st. Best of luck to everyone.
Hello!! Just curious, what makes you think they are done interviewing? Did they imply it during your interview?

Thanks!! Hope it went well, goodluck :) !

Has anyone who was marked complete in March been invited for an interview anywhere???

Hi guys, since a lot of us did not hear back from the UCs yet... Just curious that did you guys apply anywhere else?

Hi guys, since a lot of us did not hear back from the UCs yet... Just curious that did you guys apply anywhere else?

I also applied to the Midwestern MABS program in Glendale, AZ and Touro University’s similar masters program in norcal! I submitted my apps for those about 3 weeks ago now, so fingers crossed I hear back!

Hello!! Just curious, what makes you think they are done interviewing? Did they imply it during your interview?

Thanks!! Hope it went well, goodluck :) !

They told me the available dates. They meet next Thursday to decide so it also makes sense they will not have more interviews. I asked a bunch of questions about stats and cost/program so let me know if you have questions.

Members don't see this ad :)

UCSD. The program is almost identical to UCSF and they have the same percent matriculation rate of 94%. However, UCSD is 30k, but they do have some scholarship for student who really need it.

Not a single peep from any of the schools

Last year I applied March 7th so 8 days before the deadline and it was not marked complete till March 27th so 12 days after the deadline. I was interviewed at UCSF. I think it really depends on your application. This year I applied Jan 14 and was marked complete Jan 23. I was also interviewed only by UCSF and I think it went very well. UCSF goes heavy on your volunteering and your background. UCI I believe goes heavy on GPA and classes from what I can tell.

Reactions: 2 users
I received an invitation to interview from UCD's Program this morning, so don't lose hope as I believe they are still looking for applicants that will make a good fit for their program. I will be letting them know I won't be interviewing with them since I already committed to UCI. Hoping that one of you from the forum get my spot
:)

Good Luck
Did you hear back from UCD after the skype interview? I had the same interview day and I haven't heard from them yet. I know they had interviews this past Tuesday but i'm wondering when we will hear back?

Only UCSD, got waitlisted there due to lack of volunteering hours. This is a new goal for me, GPA 3.69, only about 15 volunteering hours and no background in healthcare, quite the opposite really. If I can’t get in anywhere for the post bacc I will probably study for the mcat all summer and take it in September, start volunteering and apply for rolling DO programs for a January start date. The few DO admissions I’ve talked to “only require volunteer 2.5 hrs a week” as a minimum.

Did anyone have a skype interview with Davis on April 24th? If you did, have you heard back from them at all?

They told me the available dates. They meet next Thursday to decide so it also makes sense they will not have more interviews. I asked a bunch of questions about stats and cost/program so let me know if you have questions.
Hi!! Do you mind sharing the planned costs/ stats? I have an interview Monday so I just want to know what to expect! Lol I'm kinda worried about the price but UCSF is a dream

Has anyone who was marked complete in March been invited for an interview anywhere???

Not a peep from anywhere at this point. Starting to wish I would have turned in my application much sooner....

Not a peep from anywhere at this point. Starting to wish I would have turned in my application much sooner....
Literally turned mine in the day before the deadline. Didn’t do enough research to know they were reviewing applications immediately

How long after the Skype interview did you wait to hear back for the in-person interview? And was there any mention of more people being interviewed after May 1st?
I heard the next day via email. I'm not sure if they will be doing more interviews. I'm guessing they will be doing one more round of skype/in persons

Has anyone heard back from UCR though??

I heard the next day via email. I'm not sure if they will be doing more interviews. I'm guessing they will be doing one more round of skype/in persons
Yeah they said they had one more in person interview date set up! I didn't hear back from them yet and i'm getting super nervous :(

Yeah they said they had one more in person interview date set up! I didn't hear back from them yet and i'm getting super nervous :(
lol typo, I had my skype interview on the 25th of April**

Did they say when this last in person interview is?

This one is for all my UCLA peeps. Got my invitation to interview yesterday afternoon!

Reactions: 3 users
I submitted my application on February 2nd, and it was marked complete on February 7th. I have not heard back from any of the campuses I applied to. I'm starting to assume that I'm not getting in to any program at this point. :(

Hi!! Do you mind sharing the planned costs/ stats? I have an interview Monday so I just want to know what to expect! Lol I'm kinda worried about the price but UCSF is a dream

UCSF is my dream too but plan on spending 35k and up

If you do not live in SF plan on spending 30k and up. UCSF program is approximately 18K. During the summer they provide 6 weeks of housing, a stipend, and medical insurance so you can focus on the MCAT. After that you have to have medical insurance and pay to live up there. The program is 1 year long. From what I saw on Craigslist you might spend 8-12k just on living expenses depending if you share a room or rent one. You still have to add up commuting and food plus miscellaneous expenses. They said there is available scholarship money but it a small amount. Over all it is a great program and if accepted I will most likely take it. One of my friends who is at UCI medical school got accepted thanks to a post bacc and told me this, "what is 30k added to 200k from medical school." Worth it.

Hey everyone, just curious; has any re-applicant heard back from any schools? If so, when did you submit, etc. I know someone posted earlier about getting an interview from UCLA...

Hey everyone, just curious; has any re-applicant heard back from any schools? If so, when did you submit, etc. I know someone posted earlier about getting an interview from UCLA...
Hi,

To answer your question, I submitted 02/05/2018, was complete 02/15/2018 and received my interview invite 05/04/2018. From what I know, the deadline for submission is later this month and this week is the first round of interviews. My interview is this Friday at 1. Best of luck :)

Has anyone that interviewed at UCSF heard back from them yet?

I'm getting super nervous knowing the admissions committee met up yesterday to decide and haven't heard anything from them.

Has anyone that interviewed at UCSF heard back from them yet?

I'm getting super nervous knowing the admissions committee met up yesterday to decide and haven't heard anything from them.

According to what they told me they will start letting applicants know 5/14-6/1. Their first committee meeting was 5/10 and the second is schedules 5/17. Good luck.

I haven't received any invite for interviews from any schools, aside from the rejection from UCI. Should I start thinking I might not get in this cycle?

For those who didn't get in the first cycle they applied, were your subsequent applications successful and you eventually got in? Would you mind messaging me?

Thank you kindly,
Rose

I haven't received any invite for interviews from any schools, aside from the rejection from UCI. Should I start thinking I might not get in this cycle?

For those who didn't get in the first cycle they applied, were your subsequent applications successful and you eventually got in? Would you mind messaging me?

Thank you kindly,
Rose
Hey Rose, I'm in pretty much the same situation, apparently they run through June so I'd still hold out some hope. That being said, I'd advise looking to State school postbaccs that are due sometime later this month, and most of the East Coast post baccs apps are due around mid-june.

hi everyone! just got an interview offer for UCD! theres still hope lol

hi everyone! just got an interview offer for UCD! theres still hope lol

Wooowww, congratulations. Do you mind sharing when will your interview date is? Skype or in-person? Thank you and good luck

UCLA just sent me a rejection email. Nothing from UCR though. Im holding out hope for UCR, has anyone heard anything from them?

Just letting everyone know I just recieved an acceptance email from UCSF!. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back.