UC Consortium 2018-2019 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
sGPA 2.84
cGPA 3.07
First time applicant, havent taken the MCAT
I was definitely suprised I got accepted to UCI. But a question I asked the interviewers definitely put a lot into persepctive...
I asked what qualifications they believe a student should have to excel in the program. What they said is that they are looking for students who already have clinical and research experience, who have demonstrated a commitment to working in underserved communities and have a well rounded personality that will fit in the program. They want students who are strong candidates for med school that only need academic improvement. They said they would like to see an upwards trend of the gpa over time. For me , this is what I was worried about the most. First year 3.8 or so second 3.0 thrid 2.5 and fourth 3.8. I was worried because my record shows more of a downwards trend but I definitely made more of a strong comeback and I had strong LORs as well. I hope this gives some of you insight. I am also thinking about posting a vid about my experience/application as well. Don't lose hope! It is possible, you just have to sell yourself
Thank you so much for sharing your experience and stats! I know sometimes asking about these things can be too personal to share for some of us, but I think it really helps a lot of applicants see how they fit in in regard to the overall picture. I'm assuming you already have pretty strong research/clinical experience?

sGPA 2.84
cGPA 3.07
First time applicant, havent taken the MCAT
I was definitely suprised I got accepted to UCI. But a question I asked the interviewers definitely put a lot into persepctive...
I asked what qualifications they believe a student should have to excel in the program. What they said is that they are looking for students who already have clinical and research experience, who have demonstrated a commitment to working in underserved communities and have a well rounded personality that will fit in the program. They want students who are strong candidates for med school that only need academic improvement. They said they would like to see an upwards trend of the gpa over time. For me , this is what I was worried about the most. First year 3.8 or so second 3.0 thrid 2.5 and fourth 3.8. I was worried because my record shows more of a downwards trend but I definitely made more of a strong comeback and I had strong LORs as well. I hope this gives some of you insight. I am also thinking about posting a vid about my experience/application as well. Don't lose hope! It is possible, you just have to sell yourself
I'm in my 5th year and taking a few more classes before they officially kick me out.
I'm at a 3.19 cGPA
and 2.96 sGPA

I think where my application is lacking other than the grades are just experience working in a lab other than like lab classes and shadowing doctors. I'm going to apply to several more post-bacc programs whose applications are due in the summer around June, but if I can't get into any of those programs I need to spend the year finding work at a lab or gain clinical experience and review for the MCAT and then maybe think about applying to these programs again. Last resort I guess is to just apply to med schools anyway and if I get rejected, look into linkage programs and hopefully seek admission through that avenue. Best of luck at UCI or any other place you end up on deciding.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in my 5th year and taking a few more classes before they officially kick me out.
I'm at a 3.19 cGPA
and 2.96 sGPA

I think where my application is lacking other than the grades are just experience working in a lab other than like lab classes and shadowing doctors. I'm going to apply to several more post-bacc programs whose applications are due in the summer around June, but if I can't get into any of those programs I need to spend the year finding work at a lab or gain clinical experience and review for the MCAT and then maybe think about applying to these programs again. Last resort I guess is to just apply to med schools anyway and if I get rejected, look into linkage programs and hopefully seek admission through that avenue. Best of luck at UCI or any other place you end up on deciding.
Yeah clinical experience is definitely really important. Just keep in mind, research doesn't exclusively mean lab work. You can do research by means of field work instead. Have you ever considered doing an EAP program?

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah clinical experience is definitely really important. Just keep in mind, research doesn't exclusively mean lab work. You can do research by means of field work instead. Have you ever considered doing an EAP program?
Sorta, but haven't really done any research other than scraping the surface on some EAP programs. I was thinking if I couldn't get into these post-baccs I'd consider applying to the Ohio State Med Path program which is a linkage program that's similar to EAP programs, but instead of the two years they usually take, it's condensed into a year like a post-bacc program. I know it's going to be a journey, but I've been in community college for 3 years, add that to another 3 years at a UC (taking the 5th year as my pre-postbacc year) and being 23, I feel like I'm falling behind some of my peers. I don't want to be 28 year-old or older med-school Freshman, that is if I ever do get in.

Sorta, but haven't really done any research other than scraping the surface on some EAP programs. I was thinking if I couldn't get into these post-baccs I'd consider applying to the Ohio State Med Path program which is a linkage program that's similar to EAP programs, but instead of the two years they usually take, it's condensed into a year like a post-bacc program. I know it's going to be a journey, but I've been in community college for 3 years, add that to another 3 years at a UC (taking the 5th year as my pre-postbacc year) and being 23, I feel like I'm falling behind some of my peers. I don't want to be 28 year-old or older med-school Freshman, that is if I ever do get in.
I can relate! I'm also 23, graduated from UCI in September. I would not want to be close to 30 and just starting medical school. I practically have a very similar GPA as yours. I think I have some solid research and clinical experience (no publications though), but I guess that wasn't good enough for UCI lol. I just have my fingers crossed that Davis or Riverside will invite for at least an interview.

I can relate! I'm also 23, graduated from UCI in September. I would not want to be close to 30 and just starting medical school. I practically have a very similar GPA as yours. I think I have some solid research and clinical experience (no publications though), but I guess that wasn't good enough for UCI lol. I just have my fingers crossed that Davis or Riverside will invite for at least an interview.
Best of luck! Yeah, I mean I really want to become a doctor now, but I'm not sure what's going to happen like 6-7 years down the line. Let's hope we can get into one of these programs and start med school real soon!

i wonder what each school looks for in an applicant. How does one stand out to one program and get rejected from another given that they receive the same application and essential function the same way.

slightly worried and nervous because i got rejected from UCI

Hey all, received notification of a first round interview at UC Davis. I'm wondering if anyone else heard back and had any input on the Skype interview?

Hey all, received notification of a first round interview at UC Davis. I'm wondering if anyone else heard back and had any input on the Skype interview?

Congrats on the interview!! Would you mind sharing your stats, app submission/completion date?

Goodluck on the interview!!

Thanks!!!!

Hi everyone,
Do you know if the schools will send you rejection letter anyway even if you dont get an interview? Or would they just reach out to you if offer an interview? A few people have received interviews from UCD already but I havent heard from them. It makes me worried that I got rejected already

Members don't see this ad :)
i am so confusion... i got into UPenn and Hopkins but got rejected from UCI... like wut? lol
Don't take it to heart, I know plenty of people who either work for UCI Med or are associated with their medical school and they've told me of their biases. UCR is the same. Congrats on UPenn and Hopkins! :)

Congrats on the interview!! Would you mind sharing your stats, app submission/completion date?

Goodluck on the interview!!

Thanks!!!!

Yeah of course! I have very subpar stats. 2.8sGPA 2.9 cGPA. Application submitted 2/26. Completed just a few days after, I believe 3/02. The turnaround was fast because I submitted all of my required materials prior to the actual application and express shipped them. Also for anyone nervous, I believe they just started handing out interviews at UCD so keep your eyes peeled for more updates this week and next week. Also I was rejected from UCI as well! I don't believe a rejection from one school impacts how another school sees you at all. They may just be looking for different things in different applicants. Good luck to everyone. Let me know if there's any more questions and I'll try to help out as best I can

Reactions: 4 users
How do you all feel about doing post bac with a UC extension? I'm new to this so was wondering what the differences, pros/cons are for extension.

How do you all feel about doing post bac with a UC extension? I'm new to this so was wondering what the differences, pros/cons are for extension.

If you go through extension and not the consortium program then you won't have priority for classes and you also wont have the added benefit of working with advisors to help you with putting together your app.

Essentially you will be taking classes at UC on your own. If you can afford it, go for it! But I wasn't able to so I just took courses at a local CC instead.

If by extension you meant the UC Consortium, I would say the added benefits are the reverse of what I said above :) Not to mention you get a LOR from the program director upon completion which should help bolster your application. I have also heard of postbacc applicants being looked at favorably within the UC program.

If you go through extension and not the consortium program then you won't have priority for classes and you also wont have the added benefit of working with advisors to help you with putting together your app.

Essentially you will be taking classes at UC on your own. If you can afford it, go for it! But I wasn't able to so I just took courses at a local CC instead.

If by extension you meant the UC Consortium, I would say the added benefits are the reverse of what I said above :) Not to mention you get a LOR from the program director upon completion which should help bolster your application. I have also heard of postbacc applicants being looked at favorably within the UC program.

Thanks for the info! I was wondering this in regards to UC Berkley extension and UCLA extension. They do claim to have advisors assist through the program however I'm not sure how true that holds.

just got an interview to UCSF! good luck to you all!

Reactions: 4 users
just got an interview to UCSF! good luck to you all!

Hey drpanda, congrats on this as well as johns hopkins! Do you mind sharing when you submitted your application and if you had to send them sat/mcat official score reports? Thanks!

Hi yall! Never thought I would be postin on SDN, but everyone on this page is so nice and supportive!

I received an invite to interview at UCSF earlier this week. I'm set to interview at the end of this month!
I was pretty devastated I got rejected without an interview from UCI (my alma mater) and got bummed. Never expected an interview at UCSF but am stoked for this opportunity!

Reactions: 5 users
Hi yall! Never thought I would be postin on SDN, but everyone on this page is so nice and supportive!

I received an invite to interview at UCSF earlier this week. I'm set to interview at the end of this month!
I was pretty devastated I got rejected without an interview from UCI (my alma mater) and got bummed. Never expected an interview at UCSF but am stoked for this opportunity!

Congrats!!!!!!! That’s so exciting. Would you mind sharing your stats and submission/completion dates?

Thank you!! Good luck on your interview!!!!!

Thank you! I'm really excited for this opportunity but also at the same time really nervous.
I submitted January 24th and it was marked completed January 29th.
I don't think my stats and involvements are out of the ordinary. sGPA: 3.15, cGPA: 3.28 -- went to undergrad at a UCI. Involved with clinical and non-clinical volunteers on campus, undergrad research (sadly no published work), shadowed physicians. I've been working as the charge medical assistant and office manager at a FM practice.

I know it's a really nerve wracking time for everyone, the wait game is bleh, but don't lose hope. If you have great passion for this field, it doesn't matter your timeline. You'll get there. I graduated almost 3 years ago and have found use of this time to really explore "why?"

I wish the best to yall and congrats to those who landed a spot at UCI's post bacc! I spoke to someone who was in that program and he had an amazing time.
Awesome post! Thanks for sharing with us!

Hey drpanda, congrats on this as well as johns hopkins! Do you mind sharing when you submitted your application and if you had to send them sat/mcat official score reports? Thanks!
Thank you! I submitted my application 1/21 and was marked complete 2/13 because one of my letter writers took long. I don't remember sending my official scores and i haven't taken the MCAT. im by no means ready for the mcat lol

does anyone know how the people on the waitlist get chosen if a spot becomes available? Like is it based on who's next in line or who's the next best candidate, quality-wise?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! I was wondering this in regards to UC Berkley extension and UCLA extension. They do claim to have advisors assist through the program however I'm not sure how true that holds.
I can't speak for Berkley but I have a buddy at UCLA extension. I will ask him and msg you!

Congratulations to everyones UCD and UCSF invites! Looks like the next wave is coming soooon :soexcited:

H
Congratulations to everyones UCD and UCSF invites! Looks like the next wave is coming soooon :soexcited:
Hopefully we start getting the interview invites as well ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Hi Everyone!
Congrats to everyone who got into UCI! Getting a little nervous because I haven't gotten an interview invite. Anyone else in the same boat?

Hi Everyone!
Congrats to everyone who got into UCI! Getting a little nervous because I haven't gotten an interview invite. Anyone else in the same boat?

I am in the same boat....I'm very anxious now :( and the rejection from UCI just made my anxiety skyrocketed

I have an interview at UCD this Monday and I am going to drive. I am from Santa Ana (Orange County) If anyone else is interviewing from near by do you want to carpool ?

Shoulda told them to invite me too ;) I would totally carpool with you!

Reactions: 6 users
I am in the same boat....I'm very anxious now :( and the rejection from UCI just made my anxiety skyrocketed

I know how you feel! Trying my best to stay positive. Hopefully we will get some good news soon! :)

Hi Everyone!
Me as well, but I'm not taking it as an end! Looking into other options such as extension or DIY post baccs because if I end up not getting accepted I'd want a backup plan ready to go for the coming 2018 summer/school year! I know some friends who've opted to do a form of clinical work for the experience while studying for the MCAT (granted they had a fairly decent GPA in undergrad).

Me as well, but I'm not taking it as an end! Looking into other options such as extension or DIY post baccs because if I end up not getting accepted I'd want a backup plan ready to go for the coming 2018 summer/school year! I know some friends who've opted to do a form of clinical work for the experience while studying for the MCAT (granted they had a fairly decent GPA in undergrad).
Don't give up on post baccs just yet. A lot of the east coast schools have post baccs where the apps are due around June I think.

Don't give up on post baccs just yet. A lot of the east coast schools have post baccs where the apps are due around June I think.

Hey! Do you happen to know any of the east coast post baccs that have similar admissions criteria to the consortium?

I would greatly appreciate any info. Always safe to have a plan B!!

Thank you!!

I applied to CSUSM post bacc - closes may 1st and CSULA post bacc and SDSU post bacc - closes may 1st too. As a backup in case I don't get into the UC's.

Hey! Do you happen to know any of the east coast post baccs that have similar admissions criteria to the consortium?

I would greatly appreciate any info. Always safe to have a plan B!!

Thank you!!
I only know of a couple like Cornell, but haven't done too much research as I'm still working on my SF state post bacc app. As soon as I get a solid list, I'll definitely let you know.

I only know of a couple like Cornell, but haven't done too much research as I'm still working on my SF state post bacc app. As soon as I get a solid list, I'll definitely let you know.

Thank you!!!!!!! Im also applying to SF state. goodluck!!!!!!

Hi all. This is my first post on this page. I received an interview invite yesterday from UCSF and scheduled a Skype interview on May 2. It seems they are having most of their interview in the next 2-3 weeks based on the days available they gave me. To be honest I was really surprised I received and invite from UCSF and not UCI. Extra info: I also applied to the UCSD post bacc and interviewed. They will be sending out acceptance mid-April to the end of April. I found out this year that they do have a limited amount of financial aid in case you are in the same boat as me and are unable to afford 30k. If anyone has any info on the questions they will ask at UCSF, please let me know.

Hi all. This is my first post on this page. I received an interview invite yesterday from UCSF and scheduled a Skype interview on May 2. It seems they are having most of their interview in the next 2-3 weeks based on the days available they gave me. To be honest I was really surprised I received and invite from UCSF and not UCI. Extra info: I also applied to the UCSD post bacc and interviewed. They will be sending out acceptance mid-April to the end of April. I found out this year that they do have a limited amount of financial aid in case you are in the same boat as me and are unable to afford 30k. If anyone has any info on the questions they will ask at UCSF, please let me know.

So do you think they are done sending interview emails for sf and davis??? getting really anxious at this point ...

I’ve only so far recieved a rejection from UCI, still no word on UCSF, UCD or UCR. Nothing. Hope I get news soon at least.

I do not believe UCSF is done since they gave me a couple of possible dates. I have not received a rejection from UCI but I am not holding my breath. It seems that UCR does not even send a rejection email. UCD is the last one to finish so there is still a possibility.