-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
UC Davis c/o 2017 Applicants!!!!
Started by TigerWillow
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Everybody's done! Hope the next few weeks go by quickly and you guys here good news soon! 🙂
👍


Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I have a question for current students. With the new block system how much time do you spend in class per day?
Hi, I have a question for current students. With the new block system how much time do you spend in class per day?
It depends on the day. It varies from day to day and week to week. I'd say an average of 6 hours, but it can be as few as 3 or as many as 8.
It depends on the day. It varies from day to day and week to week. I'd say an average of 6 hours, but it can be as few as 3 or as many as 8.
Can't be average of 6, because we limited it to about 21 contact hours over the course of a week. So the average can't be more than 4.25 over the course of the year. 😛
4
485501
Current Davis students and applicants:
What do you all think of the new curriculum? Based on what I heard at the interview day (both the presentation and from the student tour guide) I think it sounds really cool. I'd love to hear what you all think!
What do you all think of the new curriculum? Based on what I heard at the interview day (both the presentation and from the student tour guide) I think it sounds really cool. I'd love to hear what you all think!
Can't be average of 6, because we limited it to about 21 contact hours over the course of a week. So the average can't be more than 4.25 over the course of the year. 😛
It depends on the day. It varies from day to day and week to week. I'd say an average of 6 hours, but it can be as few as 3 or as many as 8.
I'd have to agree with ANY - closer to 5-6 hour days. (Who are you, BTW? 😉 ) Most days are about 9-3ish with an hour lunch. About half lecture and half labs/CBL work.
As for the new curriculum. It has its pluses and minuses. I think it is working but we really won't know until our class hits 4th year, passes boards and heads out into practice. 😉
I'd have to agree with ANY - closer to 5-6 hour days. (Who are you, BTW? 😉 ) Most days are about 9-3ish with an hour lunch. About half lecture and half labs/CBL work.
As for the new curriculum. It has its pluses and minuses. I think it is working but we really won't know until our class hits 4th year, passes boards and heads out into practice. 😉
So that's 5 hour on the average day you have class, and you aren't in class for 1 weekday every 3 weeks.
Not trying to be pedantic, but you guys are in class way less than we are, and we probably average 6-7 hours a day of lectures/labs.
So that's 5 hour on the average day you have class, and you aren't in class for 1 weekday every 3 weeks.
Not trying to be pedantic, but you guys are in class way less than we are, and we probably average 6-7 hours a day of lectures/labs.
We don't get a day off every 3 weeks. We do a rotation every 6 weeks. So every 6 weeks while the other half of the class does a rotation, we get a day off. From everyone that I've talked to, rotations last anywhere from 8-14 hours (my first one was 12), so it's definitely not a day off.
It's hard to pinpoint an average because we don't have a set schedule. For example, within a block, one Monday will be totally different from the next Monday. I'd say a TYPICAL day is 5-6 hours. MAYBE the average is 4.25 hours when you count in light days and exam days. For the new students - expect to be in class from 9-3 or 9-4 most school days. Sometimes it runs longer, sometimes shorter, but that's our typical day. I
We don't get a day off every 3 weeks. We do a rotation every 6 weeks. So every 6 weeks while the other half of the class does a rotation, we get a day off. From everyone that I've talked to, rotations last anywhere from 8-14 hours (my first one was 12), so it's definitely not a day off.
It's hard to pinpoint an average because we don't have a set schedule. For example, within a block, one Monday will be totally different from the next Monday. I'd say a TYPICAL day is 5-6 hours. MAYBE the average is 4.25 hours when you count in light days and exam days. For the new students - expect to be in class from 9-3 or 9-4 most school days. Sometimes it runs longer, sometimes shorter, but that's our typical day. I
I said you aren't in class for one weekday every 3 weeks. I didn't say you had it off. The person asked how long you are in class. The rotations aren't "class" (even though they are under a course).
Nobody has a set schedule; our curriculum doesn't either. Why would you not count in "light days" or exam days to the average? That isn't much of an average then.
4
485501
Two questions for current Davis students:
How much reading is assigned for the classes on the new curriculum? Are we talking tens of pages per night, hundreds of pages, so on and so forth? Does it vary widely by block?
What is the gym on campus like? Is the equipment good? Are there enough belayers on duty at the rock wall? Etc., etc., etc.
Thanks!
How much reading is assigned for the classes on the new curriculum? Are we talking tens of pages per night, hundreds of pages, so on and so forth? Does it vary widely by block?
What is the gym on campus like? Is the equipment good? Are there enough belayers on duty at the rock wall? Etc., etc., etc.
Thanks!
I wonder when we'll find out... 😳
I wonder when we'll find out... 😳
I wonder the same, hopefully this week
😳 Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
anyone else obsessively checking their email!?
And this site. And the portal. The suspense is driving me nuts!!
Actually seeing that this thread was recently updated made my heart stop for a bit....
Last edited:
anyone else obsessively checking their email!?
Absolutely. Today I went to work at the equine practice I tech for. It's so cold here in NJ. All I could think about was California... *sigh*. As an out of stater I can't hold my breath, though...
anyone else obsessively checking their email!?
haha YES! Even though I was thinking they wouldn't send them out until after 1/11/13 (when the survey is due), I still can't help it.
anyone else obsessively checking their email!?
Yes, and when I get an email I always have hope it is them 😳

This. Exactly this.And this site. And the portal. The suspense is driving me nuts!!
Actually seeing that this thread was recently updated made my heart stop for a bit....
I'm pretty much on pins and needles right now. My coworkers at the vet clinic are asking me every thirty minutes if I've checked my email. I even had a client come in today and ask if I'd heard back from Davis yet!
Hey guys, just set up your class' facebook page. so it should be sooooooon!!!!!
Hope that helps... probably not
Hope that helps... probably not
Hey guys, just set up your class' facebook page. so it should be sooooooon!!!!!
Hope that helps... probably not
Jumping up and down in the back of the classroom!!!!
Ugh my interview was a complete catastrophe. Nearly in tears afterwards, it couldn't have gone any worse than it did. Best of luck to all the candidates! I have no hope but I envy those of you who are waiting anxiously to hear!
Ugh my interview was a complete catastrophe. Nearly in tears afterwards, it couldn't have gone any worse than it did. Best of luck to all the candidates! I have no hope but I envy those of you who are waiting anxiously to hear!
Aww I'm sorry you feel that way. But honestly I'm sure you did better than you thought; we're always more critical of ourselves than others. I don't feel like mine went that well either. Plus the interview is only 20% and you should be proud of yourself for making it this far...don't lose hope yet.
If it makes you feel any better, I was half an hour late to my Davis interview.... My interview ended up being about, I think, ten minutes long. If that. God only knows how they score the interviews... Lol.
I felt like my interview didn't go very well either (misread the directions on one of the scenarios, I felt very very stupid). Don't give up hope, other people made mistakes too!
I sure hope BarkyLove is right about the interview only being 20%, because that makes me feel better.
I've been checking my email every hour it feels like. Going to drive myself nuts!
I sure hope BarkyLove is right about the interview only being 20%, because that makes me feel better.
I've been checking my email every hour it feels like. Going to drive myself nuts!
I also did not feel very confident about my interview...ran out of time on the first one 🙁 and the second one was a complete disaster. the other ones went okay, i felt, but i know those first 2 will hurt me.
i must check my email via my phone about 300 times a day! hehe, my fiance check sdn religiously, too, to see if anyone else has heard anything.
i must check my email via my phone about 300 times a day! hehe, my fiance check sdn religiously, too, to see if anyone else has heard anything.
I don't know if this is how UC Davis does it, but a lot of schools that use the MMI will throw out the top and bottom scores for the interviews. So if you had one interview that you really felt like you blew (I know I did!) then there's a decent chance that it might not count at all.
I don't know if this is how UC Davis does it, but a lot of schools that use the MMI will throw out the top and bottom scores for the interviews. So if you had one interview that you really felt like you blew (I know I did!) then there's a decent chance that it might not count at all.
Wow I didn't know that! If this is true for Davis then maybe we will get lucky!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got the email about the portal update. I'm high on the waitlist!! I wish I knew how many people will decline this year...
Last edited:
Congrats! I also got waitlisted. Position 42... This sucks. Who knows though, more people may decline though they generally say about 20 decline.
Haha Thanks to all being supportive about me bombing my interview, but truly... it was like watching a plane crash in slow motion. I was intending to tie in a personal experience when I was working in wildlife about these two guys who tied their dogs to a tree on a zip line and went fishing when out camping, and their warming fire started the biggest wildfire in the state. They found the guys responsible because they pinpointed where the fire originated from and found the dog collars still next to the tree around the bodies =(
And at this point, my time was up. No chance to talk about how that related to the situation I got. Instead, I watched the interviewer in complete horror start writing down my evaluation as I just intimately described two dogs burning to death. (My point was that you can't tie a dog up and expect everything to just be the same as when you left it, and how dangerous it can be).
So, by that token, I got wait listed extremely far down. I'm not sure how many people won't accept their offers and how many wait listed people would pass, but I feel if you're past 15 you might be screwed with Davis..
Congrats to all others who have been offered acceptance and who have high wait list spots!
And at this point, my time was up. No chance to talk about how that related to the situation I got. Instead, I watched the interviewer in complete horror start writing down my evaluation as I just intimately described two dogs burning to death. (My point was that you can't tie a dog up and expect everything to just be the same as when you left it, and how dangerous it can be).
So, by that token, I got wait listed extremely far down. I'm not sure how many people won't accept their offers and how many wait listed people would pass, but I feel if you're past 15 you might be screwed with Davis..
Congrats to all others who have been offered acceptance and who have high wait list spots!
Does anyone know if the waitlist is a mixture of IS and OOS or if they are two separate lists?
It has been a mix of IS and OOS on the same list in the past. The year before I actually got in (i'm c/o 2014), I was waitlisted at #9 and did not make it off the list. I made it to #2 before the class was filled. So they filled 7 spots from the list. Remember, though - those stats change each year 🙂. good luck guys!
Just got the email about the portal update. I'm on the waitlist. Position 3. I wish I knew how many people will decline this year...
I'm number 2! I would absolutely accept if offered a slot, but I thought I'd let you know anyway. Everyone is saying I'll get in for sure with this position, but it is so hard to celebrate until I see how this plays out for myself. I'm thinking since they are accepting more out of state students this year, that they'll move further into the wait list compared to other years. But again, that's just a guess.
Good luck everyone!
Congrats, Falina! I got in too!!! I'm still in total shock.I got in!!!!!!!!!! Oh my gosh I cried my eyes out when I read the message. I really hope the rest of you make it off the list!
Good luck to all of you who were wait listed - I hope you all hear some good news soon!
4
485501
Yay people who got in! I'll be there too!
People on the waitlist, remember that this year they're announcing much earlier, so it's likely some people will wait, hear back from other schools, and give up their seat fairly late in the game. So no giving up hope until the last moment!
Oh, and I do remember them saying at the info session that the waitlist is just one list, no separation by IS/OOS.
Now I just wish I would hear from the VSTP....
People on the waitlist, remember that this year they're announcing much earlier, so it's likely some people will wait, hear back from other schools, and give up their seat fairly late in the game. So no giving up hope until the last moment!
Oh, and I do remember them saying at the info session that the waitlist is just one list, no separation by IS/OOS.
Now I just wish I would hear from the VSTP....
Congratulations to everyone getting in!! Make sure you join the fb group!!
And I heard that they expect the wait list to move a lot so waitlisters don't fret!
And I heard that they expect the wait list to move a lot so waitlisters don't fret!
I'm number 2! I would absolutely accept if offered a slot, but I thought I'd let you know anyway. Everyone is saying I'll get in for sure with this position, but it is so hard to celebrate until I see how this plays out for myself. I'm thinking since they are accepting more out of state students this year, that they'll move further into the wait list compared to other years. But again, that's just a guess.
Good luck everyone!
Congrats on getting in 😉
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i got in!!! i dont even know what to feel right now but i wish good luck to the rest of the people waiting!
I've been accepted as well! Wow, I'm OOS and I just can't even believe it!
Last edited:
I'm number 2! I would absolutely accept if offered a slot, but I thought I'd let you know anyway. Everyone is saying I'll get in for sure with this position, but it is so hard to celebrate until I see how this plays out for myself. I'm thinking since they are accepting more out of state students this year, that they'll move further into the wait list compared to other years. But again, that's just a guess.
Good luck everyone!
I didn't know they were accepting more OOS this year... Do you know how many? In the past it seemed to be around 13. Do you know how much they increased that by?
Also, does anyone know how being on the waitlist affects financial aid? Is there no chance of getting aid from Davis if you get in from the waitlist? I know they have the priority aid deadline of march 2nd...
Last edited:
Congrats on getting in 😉
haha thanks, but I won't believe it till I see it!
I didn't know they were accepting more OOS this year... Do you know how many? In the past it seemed to be around 13. Do you know how much they increased that by?
Also, does anyone know how being on the waitlist affects financial aid? Is there no chance of getting aid from Davis if you get in from the waitlist? I know they have the priority aid deadline of march 2nd...
Yeah at the interview I was at they mentioned that they are interviewing around 60 out of state applicants this year (usually around 20ish I believe?), and there was no set amount they were planning on accepting. He said the best of the interview group would get an acceptance, regardless of status.