UC Davis Interview...a little late, no?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aria111

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all- I just received an e mail inviting me to interview at Davis...isn't this a little late? Will I be interviewing for the waitlist?
For those of you who have been to Davis, what were your feelings about the school? I've never been to the area and I don't know much about the the area or the school...
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

wow, that's interesting that you finally got an interview from Davis. I thought they'd just forgot about all of us. I'm still waiting myself.

Anyway, I've lived in Davis for 5 years (did my undergrad here, and now working for UCD), so if you have any questions at all (not sure how helpful I can be about the med school itself, but about the area, etc, I think I might know a thing or 2), feel free to ask or PM me.

Remember, schools have to make enough admissions offers to fill their class by March 15th. So yes, you're likely interviewing for the waitlist. But it's a UC!! Go for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got the email invite today too. The worst part is they told me that I had been granted an interview over 2 months ago, and just hadn't gotten around to scheduling a date yet. They took so damn long, I think I'm too burned out on the process to even bother going. A UC would have been nice to get in to, but I don't know if it's worth the effort to make an attempt at Davis this late in the game. Their loss.

A friend of mine who's a first year there now got a late interview last year. Around April I think, so there is hope. I went to UCD for undergrad and worked in a lab at the med school for a couple of years. In general, people in Davis are very nice and helpful. It is a small town, though, so you have to be prepared for the lack of the great social activities you'd find in a big city. But Tahoe and SF are just hours away. Also nearby is Sac, which is where UCDMC is. I volunteered there during undergrad and I was impressed by their high standard of patient care.

You hear a lot about cow-tipping in Davis, but I swear there's only one area in town where you can see them. Unfortunately, you'll have to pass the cow farm biking from the med school to the main campus. Oh yeah, Davis is very bike-friendly; it's a good place for the athletically and environmentally conscious. Hope this helps!

I interviewed there on April 1st, and as of then, they said they had issued ~100 of ~200 acceptances to fill a class of ~95. It's only two weeks later now, so I don't think this interview would be for waitlist only, as there are clearly spots still available. Good luck!

wow. thanks for all the info, everyone. I feel Jefe's pain...I don't think I can do another interview, even though a UC would be cheaper than UMiami. Other than the tuition, i'm not sure what incentive i have to fly my lazy self up to davis. Oh! decisions, decisions.

i interviewed 4-4 and they shared the same stats as Weeble shared with you. (100 of 200 acceptances issued so far) they are way behind this year. i think we all still have a good chance. go to the interview, you've got nothing to lose. good luck!

what were your general impressions of the school? How did it compare to other areas and schools that you've visited so far?

I had mine in November. My impression of the school would have been better if I had a chance to interact with the current students, but nope. A quick so-called school tour was given by my student interviewer. It took about 5 minutes to complete the tour cuz the medical school portion in Davis is soo tiny. The Sacramento medical center is quite a state of the art IMHO, so at least the third and fourth years won't be so bad. Many students complete their electives at other medical institutions.

is the medical school on the same grounds as the medical center, or are they at different locations? Irvine's medical center is about 20 min. away from the medical school, which i thought was a bit of a bummer...

No, the medical center is located in Sac, about 20 min driving from the Davis campus. The first and second years are spent in Davis, while the remaining clinical years are in Sac. I think, there's a lot more traffic to worry about btw the UCI campus and its medical center even though it's only 20-min driving separation too.