UC Davis is. . .

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alexander99

Ghetto Fabulous
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
insane! I just got an e-mail offering an interview invitation and it's already a week into April. What the hell?? I assume they must not have thought too highly of me to have waited this long to offer me an interview. If only they had interviewed me earlier, I might have still been interested. Suckers!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Alexander99
insane! I just got an e-mail offering an interview invitation and it's already a week into April. What the hell?? I assume they must not have thought too highly of me to have waited this long to offer me an interview. If only they had interviewed me earlier, I might have still been interested. Suckers!

You were on pre-interview hold...they are just getting to those now. Turn it down quick! I want that spot :)

I work for UC Davis right now and my boss told me that UC Davis has been having a hard time finding faculty who are willing to interview--there haven't been that many volunteers. So they have been extremely slow in this entire app process and they still have so many people to interview. They'll be interviewing through May, but probably not after May 15th of course. So this isn't really that late in the game for Davis!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Mr Reddly
Through May?... THROUGH MAY!!!?!!! Ay Caramba.
I guess the month long glitch with their secondary app didn't help anything.

:thumbup: :thumbdown: :thumbup: :thumbdown: :thumbup: :thumbdown: *twiddles thumbs*

Hey Alexander99,
Go to the interview. Then if you don't like it, withdraw. :D
Can you tell I'm on the waitlist? :p

Yeah. I'm actually considering going just in case UCSD blows up or something. You just never know. :)

Yeah. I'm actually considering going just in case UCSD blows up or something. You just never know. :)

:scared: :scared:

:( :( :(

I'll protect UCSD for you! Save your money :)

The worse has yet to come. Sorry for those still waiting....either pre-interview, post interview, acceptance or rejection or even pre -secondary. I do not know why I apply there. Now I have much better offers(acceptances !) in the much better schools both in CA or East Coast... they can kiss my A**.....

The Bottom line: They need a new person in charge the admission process... They are so freaking incompetent. Their supposed "new" computer system is so messed up, I got somebody's application info when I tried to retrieve my file for the secondary back in June..... I got all interview invites from all UCs and they are the only exception....Yet I have to hear from them for my rejection, I guess.

Good Luck for those still waiting. I would not be surprised there may be only 10 acceptances have been sent out so far..... It is total unfair for those still waiting.... Good Luck, you need a lots of patience on them.....:wow: :eek: :sleep: :sleep:

sorry you feel that way.

other school website based apps have f*ed me over as well but i understand that these things do occur. no need to unfairly bash davis for a technical glitch.

they have an excellent people in the admissions dept. ed works hard and is great with his time and terri is very helpful (not via email unforunately...but that goes for most of the schools)

congrats on your other acceptances esp ucla...but just cause davis didnt show you any love for whatever reasons they had...doesnt mean they are a **** school.

As an FYI, at least 16 people (there may be more, these are just the ones I know about) on SDN have been accepted... not me... but others.

theres a lot more.

some people i know that dont post on sdn have also gotten in. they emailed me their news. they use sdn to lurk but not to post. not everyone in the app process is on sdn ;).

They should send their people to other UCs to learn about their admission process......... way too slow as compared to other UC's..... I think they are the worse of all...

Originally posted by Legend123
They should send their people to other UCs to learn about their admission process......... way too slow as compared to other UC's..... I think they are the worse of all...

its all a case by case basis i guess.
last year my friend didnt hear anything from ucla presecondary till march and then got rejected.

but davis interviewed him etc...

uci wasnt that great towards me.

other schools i could complain about are schools that dont even send out rejection letters even after may 15th...which seems like its gonna be the case for me for over 15 schools.

dont even get me started on ohsu....

but hey...its just the way things go from year to year.

Originally posted by exmike
:eek: i dont believe that!

i know...shocking...:wow:
but its true....

the first i heard that...i too needed to take a seat...:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
stop.gif
Lurking!

:laugh:

Ya I know. But atleast I can see trends based on percent of interviewers that are accepted/held. But hey, don't knock it. I think close to 10% of UCD interviewees post on SDN. That's atually pretty high if you think about it.

whoa thats another cool one. you almost rival deepsouthmedic and her love for random smilies...

but yeah...that is pretty high.

I think I liked UCSD's process the best. They were finished with my sorry a$$ back in September.

... And UCSF's the worst. No rejection... no secondary... But hey, their web site shows they received my amcas app. Go fig.

I think I liked UCSD's process the best. They were finished with my sorry a$$ back in September.

... And UCSF's the worst. No rejection... no secondary... But hey, their web site shows they received my amcas app. Go fig.

haha...yeah...

both ucsd and ucsf took me out of the process pretty early. looked at the primary...sorta chuckled...prolly said..."aww how cute...he trying to apply to our school..."

and then just used it as cage lining for their hamsters.

Although I haven't had the greatest experience with the application process at some schools, I had a horribe experience with Davis.

First off, their computer system was all messed up. Then I send in my secondary and I get an email from them saying that they received my secondary and that my application was complete. After 6 weeks without hearing anything (which isn't that abnormal with post-secondary waiting), I decide to give them a call just to check and make sure everything is fine with my app. Well Terri informs me that they didn't have my check but that they had the form that I signed saying I sent my check and everything else from the secondary. My big question to her was, Why did they tell me my app. was complete if they didn't have my check (which I know that I sent) and why wouldn't they have notified me that they didn't receive my fee, esp. because they had my payment form.

At that point, Terri told me to check to see if my check was cashed. It wasn't and so I told her that and said that I would send another one immediately. Terri then told me to "Just forget about it (the fee)." I argued and said that my app to Davis was very important to me and that I didn't mind at all. She then said "I don't know why you are worrying so much about it (kinda making fun of me)" and told me not to send it and that she would take care of it.

So, I was left feeling very unnerved and with a application complete about two months after I had turned it in.

Less than a week later I get a four line email saying I was rejected.

Needless to say I was really upset about my whole app. experience with Davis and called. I was told to write an email and that I would get a response within the week. After a month I still didn't have a response and so I called again. I was told that she was very sorry and that she would respond immediately if I wrote again. And so I did, but got no response, and this was like four months ago.

Just my experience

Originally posted by jlee9531
haha...yeah...

both ucsd and ucsf took me out of the process pretty early. looked at the primary...sorta chuckled...prolly said..."aww how cute...he trying to apply to our school..."

and then just used it as cage lining for their hamsters.

Hey at least they tell you instead of keep you waiting. As of today, I have no words from Davis. I guess I will send them a email to w/d instead of waiting for their rejection which I really don't care to open the letter. Now I remember their sucking secondary is the worst of the worst.....the longest I have seen.... lots of insane questions..... the instructions on the site and the hard copy(because the "system is down" is contradicting.

My advise to those apply next year or in future, ...Forget About Davis( if you are a solid applicant!...ha what is that mean.? )...... Go spend the money on a movie or ice cream. You will get acceptance(s) from better schools before Davis even look at your application....:smuggrin::confused: :confused:

The slowest UC for me has been UCLA by far. As an August MCATer, I had heard from all the other UCs, (including Davis) about interviews/interview holds by end of January. However, it took UCLA until March to offer me an interview invite.

I didn't have any technical problems with the Davis secondary -- probably because I didn't actually fill it out and submit it until end of November. ;)

Hey at least they tell you instead of keep you waiting. As of today, I have no words from Davis. I guess I will send them a email to w/d instead of waiting for their rejection which I really don,t care. Now I remember their sucking secondary is the worst of the worst.....the longest I have seen.... lots of insane questions..... the instructions on the site is total incorrect and confuse.... My advise to those apply next year or in future, ...Forget About Davis...... Go spend the money on a movie or ice cream.

you got everyone complaining about every uc and how they are waiting for that one. like the twizzler...waiting on ucla...its all different with each applicant. cant say to forget about davis esp if you are a cali resident. thats like telling a gunner not to apply to duke or u of c since their secondaries are also long.

but anyways. i need to go to work.

I still haven't heard anything from Irvine. Whatever. go cry in the lounge about it.

hey at least you got a secondary from Davis . . .they were the only school (out of 30) I applied to that did not at least grant me that courtesy!

I think most admissions offices have some problems they need to work out. It's not just Davis, or just the UCs. I had my worst problems with UCLA and OHSU. Davis was very slow and sent my admit letter to the wrong address. I have friends with similar nightmare stories, lost letters, canceled interviews, at schools all over the country and Canada for that matter. I bet every applicant has a nightmare about some school somewhere. So I'd say apply wherever you want and know that this crap happens. I was expecting it, especially with the UCs. The best UC I dealt with was Irvine, hands down. Gayle really rocks.

The best UC experience is UCSD, UCSF, UCLA...ok with Irvine and for Davis you "know the rest of the story"..... I guess you win some and loss some.... At the end, hope you all get accepted at your dream school. Good Luck to you all....:horns:

The best UC experience is UCSD, UCSF, UCLA...ok with Irvine and for Davis you "know the rest of the story"..... I guess you win some and lose some.... At the end, hope you all get accepted at your dream school. Good Luck to you all....:horns:

well said

just to add to the stories of davis woe...

so i've been waiting 11 weeks for them to let me know about my application status for the combined md/phd program... (mind you... they bragged about how they would be the fastest to let us know at the interview... promising a response within 6 weeks or less...) and i get a phone call yesterday morning around 10... but they called my cell phone... so i got the message around noon...

so i called back... got voicemail... left a message...
no call by 430 that afternoon... called back again... no answer...
called this morning... no answer...
called this afternoon... no answer...

finally i called the admissions office... got ed on the phone... (i recognized his voice from when he talked to us at the interview...)
and he looks up all my info and then puts me on hold...
then he comes back and asks if i emailed her... i hadn't so he tells me to do that and says goodbye...

so i email her...
no answer...
now its almost the end of the day and still no response...
they are so cruel...

I told you guys, the worse is yet to come and this is one of those ......My problem is really minor compare to some of the insane ones. So hang in there! and Good Luck! :confused:

As an FYI, at least 16 people (there may be more, these are just the ones I know about) on SDN have been accepted... not me... but others.

When I went to Davis for my interview, Ed told us that 75 people had been accepted at that point. My interview was in mid-March.

Originally posted by mickerbocker
just to add to the stories of davis woe...

so i've been waiting 11 weeks for them to let me know about my application status for the combined md/phd program... (mind you... they bragged about how they would be the fastest to let us know at the interview... promising a response within 6 weeks or less...) and i get a phone call yesterday morning around 10... but they called my cell phone... so i got the message around noon...

so i called back... got voicemail... left a message...
no call by 430 that afternoon... called back again... no answer...
called this morning... no answer...
called this afternoon... no answer...

finally i called the admissions office... got ed on the phone... (i recognized his voice from when he talked to us at the interview...)
and he looks up all my info and then puts me on hold...
then he comes back and asks if i emailed her... i hadn't so he tells me to do that and says goodbye...

so i email her...
no answer...
now its almost the end of the day and still no response...
they are so cruel...

I think it's probably good news since they're the one trying to initiate a conversation with you. Can you please post what you hear from them, once you get a hold of them. Thanks.

well i finally got in touch with them...

they said they are not offering any funded md/phd positions this year due to the budget cuts...

they wanted to talk to me to figure out who's lab i wanted to work in... because even though i was interested in doing my phd in neuroscience, one of the researchers i was interested in working with was in the microbio group... so now they want me to apply to that group instead... to figure out the graduate funding only... but there's no way i'm going to commit to anyone's lab 2 years before i'm ready to start and without doing any rotations... that's insane...

i think this whole situation is messed up... i am really disappointed in davis...

they said they are not offering any funded md/phd positions this year due to the budget cuts...

Wow. That sucks. There goes 5-7 of the best students somewhere else.

This is simply messed up. If they're not going to have $$$ to offer any funded MD/PhD positions this year, why the @#Q#$ did they interview us? They didn't even pay for our travel and hotel expenses. Plus, it puts us at a bad position to compete for MD spots because we're now 3 months later than everyone else. I feel cheated....:mad:

Jalby... looks like i might be coming to usc!

That really sux guys. Question though, since I know little about MD/PhD... aren't some of those programs federally funded? Cuz then wouldn't it not matter what happened with the state budget?

hey lonecoyote or whoever...

since 2nd look is tomorrow...

does anyone know around what time i should leave orange county to get up to davis by 11ish?

3am sound good?

does anyone know around what time i should leave orange county to get up to davis by 11ish?

3am sound good?

to get to davis or to sac by 11 am? it's only about a 20 min difference anyway. let me email my friend who does the drive often....

3am sound good?

I would think 3 am would be fine. I would think w/o traffic it should be about 7 hrs just going straight up the 5.

Jalby... looks like i might be coming to usc!

Hooray. MD/PHD??? On an interesting note, two years ago we didn't fund MD/PHD's. Now we do.

3am sound good?

Wow... you're going to drive 7 hours twice in two days? I'm impressed! I second LoneCoyote - I think 3 am should be fine. :) I'm coming from Orange County too, but since I can only stay Friday, I decided to fly out Friday morning, and take a 9 pm flight back the same day. Hope to meet some of you tomorrow. :)

Ok, so which one of you is bringing the hidden video camera?
:love:

Hey jlee,

I just made the drive last Friday morning (I came up to find housing). My fiance and I left his parents' house in OC at 5:30am and got there at 11:30am, but he drives like a bat-outta-hell. 3am will get you there in PLENTY of time.

Also, instead of taking the 5 straight up, we took the 57 to the 210 to the 5 (meets up right at the Grapevine). It adds ~10 miles onto the trip, but it bypasses a lot of heavy traffic areas.