UC Davis SVM Class of 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just so everyone is aware - you don't actually receive emails through gmail as a vet student (except maybe some from support), just through office365. Was going crazy trying to figure out why I was receiving emails one way and not the other and tech support finally told me this today :laugh:

Haha that explains a lot, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Question: Has anyone not chosen their computer yet? I just went in to go choose it and the option is not there anymore :confused:. I thought we had till June 1st

Question: Has anyone not chosen their computer yet? I just went in to go choose it and the option is not there anymore :confused:. I thought we had till June 1st
I think we had until May 1 maybe and then we can get the computer beginning June 1. I think it said we could change our mind later, too. I would not worry about it. I think they were just trying to get a general idea so they knew how many computers to have in stock. But you could message admissions if it is a concern :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think we had until May 1 maybe and then we can get the computer beginning June 1. I think it said we could change our mind later, too. I would not worry about it. I think they were just trying to get a general idea so they knew how many computers to have in stock. But you could message admissions if it is a concern :)

Ok good to know! I emailed Kim and she forwarded me over to IT so I'm sure it will get resolved. I was going so crazy trying to get housing situated that I forgot to do that :smack:

Just so everyone is aware - you don't actually receive emails through gmail as a vet student (except maybe some from support), just through office365. Was going crazy trying to figure out why I was receiving emails one way and not the other and tech support finally told me this today :laugh:
However, for those of us that despise outlook with the fiery passion of a thousand burning suns, you can set it up to receive emails to a gmail inbox.
Talk to tech support

Reactions: 2 users
However, for those of us that despise outlook with the fiery passion of a thousand burning suns, you can set it up to receive emails to a gmail inbox.
Talk to tech support

:laugh:
Good to know. I got kinda used to outlook through my internship but I do prefer gmail.

So is this my sign that I made the right decision? :laugh: Totally picked this one by accident. Excuse how tired I look

Attachments

• IMG_1788.JPG
    IMG_1788.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 127
Reactions: 4 users
So excited to meet you! I definitely think you made the right choice! Btw you look awesome!

I'm excited to meet you too! :D I really do think I made the right decision as well. And thanks! Haha

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone dreading it, I just got my first Rabies vaccine and am happy to say it wasn't bad at all!

Edit: Spoke too soon, it's sore now :( Though I'm still relieved I won't need to be fearful of the poke itself next round!
Yeah none of mine were any worse than a flu shot - not something I'd seek out on a daily basis, but definitely not traumatic or horrible!

I believe it's a scholarship, not a grant. No idea about the criteria, but first year scholarships seem to be pretty limited. I doubt all students with a public health background or interest get them.
Does anyone know what the criteria are for the public health grant that I saw someone on here got? I feel like I'm pretty public health-y (have my MPH) and I don't have it on my awards.

It said in my letter: "This grant is awarded to you because of your high academic achievement and career interest in academics, research, public health, lab animal or food animal medicine."

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone tried to register for the VetMed Jobs site and gotten the "You have exceeded the limit of 3 Majors" error? It doesn't mention the term majors anywhere on the form so I'm a little confused on which part this is for. Maybe the career areas/specialties of interest(it doesn't even say there's a limit on those)? I don't really want to limit those if I don't have to because I'm interested in a lot of things and would be open to working in lots of areas. I also reached out to the career center director and she made it seem like it was because I wasn't technically a student yet so I also want to see if anyone here was able to register if they tried.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried to register for the VetMed Jobs site and gotten the "You have exceeded the limit of 3 Majors" error? It doesn't mention the term majors anywhere on the form so I'm a little confused on which part this is for. Maybe the career areas/specialties of interest(it doesn't even say there's a limit on those)? I don't really want to limit those if I don't have to because I'm interested in a lot of things and would be open to working in lots of areas. I also reached out to the career center director and she made it seem like it was because I wasn't technically a student yet so I also want to see if anyone here was able to register if they tried.
By register do you mean make a profile? I haven't completed mine but it let me make one. Also, if you go on VIPER there are schedules for next year already. Getting super excited! The first two weeks look like fun team building stuff and I'm so excited to meet our class!

By register do you mean make a profile? I haven't completed mine but it let me make one. Also, if you go on VIPER there are schedules for next year already. Getting super excited! The first two weeks look like fun team building stuff and I'm so excited to meet our class!

Yeah I mean make a profile! That's really strange. How many career areas and specialties did you put you are interested in? Yeah I still need to do that! Super excited :D

Ok yeah I cut down my career interests to 3 and it worked. Hard to do that since I have so many areas of interest :laugh:

EDIT: And now it says my account is disabled :boom:

Last edited:
Ok so update - we won't be able to register for VetMed Jobs until sometime in July. The lady I talked to said we will be rolled in as a class or something (maybe meaning we will get signed up automatically?)

Hello All :)

Decided to reapply to Davis!!
If anyone (PRIMARILY CA RESIDENTS) could so kindly share their GPA and Quantitative score, that would be AMAZING!!

The reason I asked is because it seems as though this year was exceptionally competitive. I was offered an interview but was not offered admission. Curious to know if I have a good chance this year. My stats were the following:

Science 3.7
Last 2 years 3.76
Q GRE 55% (May re-take)

Thank You :)

If anyone (PRIMARILY CA RESIDENTS) could so kindly share their GPA and Quantitative score, that would be AMAZING!!

The reason I asked is because it seems as though this year was exceptionally competitive. I was offered an interview but was not offered admission. Curious to know if I have a good chance this year. My stats were the following:

Science 3.7
Last 2 years 3.76
Q GRE 55% (May re-take)

Admissions is entirely based off your interview so I would put some practice in if possible. I imagine you will get another interview this year, I'm rooting for you! Good luck!

Science 3.7
Last 2 years 3.76
Q GRE 55% (May re-take)

Yeah I agree with @Coopah. Once you get to the interview, it's all about that. I feel like the only way to practice an MMI is to do MMIs, so see if you can do some mock ones. Davis' definitely was not easy.

As far as my stats:

cGPA: 3.48
sGPA: 3.36
Last 45 units GPA: 3.97
Q GRE 56%

Science 3.7
Last 2 years 3.76
Q GRE 55% (May re-take)

First off - congrats on getting an interview! That's still an amazing accomplishment (though I know it just feels like getting second place).

Second, I didn't realize when we were chatting you already got an interview - if so, you don't necessarily need to go out of your way to bump your academics (unless you really want to--it's certainly not BAD, but it may not be strictly necessary). Getting an interview is SOLELY based on your numbers, but getting admission is SOLELY based on your performance in the interview. I would see if you can get some feedback from Davis about your MMI performance. If not, set up mock MMIs with a trusted adult professor/friend/etc. Have them ask you MMI questions with the time limit, and ask for their honest response. Be prepared to hear things that may be disappointing/frustrating--making good first impressions is HARD, and takes practice. Keep in mind things like smiling, leaning forward, making good eye contact, giving a good handshake, etc, will all affect how people view you. It's also completely possible that you did just fine, and just didn't quite make the cut because, like you said, Davis is super competitive. But go in with an open mind that there are always things we can improve on--and you'll be asked to do this again in vet school when you go through communication labs, so it's good to get used to having feedback on your demeanor and how you present yourself now.

Science 3.7
Last 2 years 3.76
Q GRE 55% (May re-take)

Agree with what everyone else said. I'm guessing this year was a weird fluke and next year won't be quite as competitive, but even if it is, I'd be very surprised if you didn't get an interview. In case you haven't looked, c/o 2021 stats are up and broken down by IS vs. OOS and yours compare well. And yes, it was particularly competitive! Higher stats and way more applicants. If you're feeling worried for next cycle, retaking the GRE wouldn't hurt and if you're thinking of taking any classes you could do the math to see if that would help your last 45 (though I don't think that's necessary).

I think your stats are completely fine and that you just need to focus on the interview. I'm sure that already having gone through the MMI once will give you a huge advantage for this coming cycle!

Thank you for all the advice and feedback! I truly appreciate you all taking the time to do so.

Crossing my fingers I will have good news in the near future!!

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know how early last year's class was able to purchase their laptops?

(My laptop broke a while ago and I need to finish my online prereq classes ASAP. I could be much faster if I had my own computer but obviously don't want to waste my money buying another.)
I may be wrong but I don't think we get them until school starts, sorry you had bad luck.

Does anyone know how early last year's class was able to purchase their laptops?

(My laptop broke a while ago and I need to finish my online prereq classes ASAP. I could be much faster if I had my own computer but obviously don't want to waste my money buying another.)
When I talked to IT, the person told me we could buy them beginning June 1. You get them at the bookstore. I would check to confirm first.

Did you get an answer? My laptop is very old and slow so I'm anxious for a new one!
It seems that Apple is out of the computer that was going to be ordered so it looks like it might be a little bit until they figure it out. I am not sure if the PC version is available now. I bet you could contact IT.

Does anyone know if we still need a TB test if we've filled out the screening form and are marked as "compliant" online? I'm waiting for a call back about this, but I'm trying to get some of the other requirements done today and it would be nice to avoid an extra doctor's visit!

EDIT: In case anyone else is wondering, I got an answer! We do need to get a TB test. The screening form completes the general UC Davis requirement but the vet school requires a test no matter what.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if we still need a TB test if we've filled out the screening form and are marked as "compliant" online? I'm waiting for a call back about this, but I'm trying to get some of the other requirements done today and it would be nice to avoid an extra doctor's visit!

EDIT: In case anyone else is wondering, I got an answer! We do need to get a TB test. The screening form completes the general UC Davis requirement but the vet school requires a test no matter what.

Yup and I had to get a chicken pox titer done too, yay! We're you one of the ones worried about health insurance? I'm trying to figure that out now. Do you know if the school covers spouses in addition to students? Thanks for any info.

Yup and I had to get a chicken pox titer done too, yay! We're you one of the ones worried about health insurance? I'm trying to figure that out now. Do you know if the school covers spouses in addition to students? Thanks for any info.

Yep, that was me! It looks like spouses can be covered, but you have to go through the insurance company directly: Dependent Coverage | Student Health and Counseling Services

I called SHCS, and they told me that questions about insurance should go to the Student Insurance Advocate Program: Student Insurance Advocate Program | Student Health and Counseling Services I haven't been able to get through to them yet, but I left a message this morning. Next year I might be able to get cheaper insurance elsewhere, but the waiver deadline is August 10 and I doubt I'll be able to get other insurance by then. I'm only planning on getting to CA around the second week of August and my lease doesn't start until September, so I have a lot to figure out still!

Yep, that was me! It looks like spouses can be covered, but you have to go through the insurance company directly: Dependent Coverage | Student Health and Counseling Services

I called SHCS, and they told me that questions about insurance should go to the Student Insurance Advocate Program: Student Insurance Advocate Program | Student Health and Counseling Services I haven't been able to get through to them yet, but I left a message this morning. Next year I might be able to get cheaper insurance elsewhere, but the waiver deadline is August 10 and I doubt I'll be able to get other insurance by then. I'm only planning on getting to CA around the second week of August and my lease doesn't start until September, so I have a lot to figure out still!
Thanks! Yeah I'm working on getting insurance through my husband, but he hasn't found a job out there yet so we are still struggling to make everything fit nicely too. Hey if you need a place to crash I can ask my roommates if they mind having you guys over for a week or two.

Thanks! Yeah I'm working on getting insurance through my husband, but he hasn't found a job out there yet so we are still struggling to make everything fit nicely too. Hey if you need a place to crash I can ask my roommates if they mind having you guys over for a week or two.

I wish you both luck in having it all work out!

Thanks! I'm hoping the people in the apartment we're moving into will vacate early. We're supposed to hear back soon, so my fingers are crossed! It would be really nice to not have to move a few weeks into the school year, but I'm sure it'll all work out either way.

I'm wondering if anyone is bringing their bike to UC Davis?

Have any of you used the red Double-Decker buses?

Have you visited the Horse Barn?

How about the beautiful Arboretum?

How about Segundo Dining Commons?

Are you ready for the White Coat Ceremony next month?

Very HAPPY for all of you! :cat:

Yes
No
Nope
Not yet
There's food there?
Not at all
:D Thanks Doc S, I'm excited to see all of these things!

I'm going to buy one once I'm there (any advice as to whether a road bike or a hybrid is better for a 15 min commute to school?)

No

No

Yes

No but I'll check it out

Yes!

Looking forward to figuring out who all of you are! I should be easy to find

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yep!
Not recently
From afar
Yep!
Not recently
Not even close
Thank you :)!

I'm going to buy one once I'm there (any advice as to whether a road bike or a hybrid is better for a 15 min commute to school?)

No

No

Yes

No but I'll check it out

Yes!

Looking forward to figuring out who all of you are! I should be easy to find

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I don't like road bikes but it's all dependent on your comfort level! I have something in-between (kind of like a hybrid). Whatever you get, either don't get a really nice one or make sure to lock it inside at night. I made the mistake of getting a nice bike and having it stolen in Davis (even locked up with a few heavy duty locks). See you soon :)!

Here are some comments concerning bicycles from UC Davis Transportation Services, bearing in mind that Davis is relatively level and not filled with hills.

[Bicycle Program | Transportation Services see below]

Davis is a great place to buy a bike. Students who do not wish to transport a bicycle from home or feel that their old bicycle is unsuitable for everyday use can take advantage of local sales, service and repair at one of Davis' many dealers. Qualified bicycle shops will be able to outfit anyone with the right size and style of bicycle, as well as the appropriate security devices.

Those looking for an inexpensive "fixer-upper" bicycle may find just what they are looking for at the biannual UC Davis Bike Auctions which take place in the fall and spring quarters. More than 350 bikes are available at these sales! Please see auction flyer or call (530) 752-BIKE for more information.

Used bikes are sold at some local bike shops, but the best selection is usually found at the ASUCD Bike Barn on campus. Thrifty shoppers should also check out local yard sales and on-line classified ads. All bikes on the UC Davis campus must have a current California Bicycle License. A new license costs $12 and a renewal is $6.

Davis, both the city and the campus, earned its recognition as the nation's first "Platinum Level Bicycle Friendly Community"* because of efforts to provide its thousands of pedalers with a safe and convenient cycling environment. Wide streets, well-marked bike lanes, inviting pathways, abundant bike parking, gentle terrain, mild climate, and an attitude of mutual respect between cyclists and motorists have resulted in a community with the most bikes per capita of any in the nation.

Last edited:
So did anyone else not realize that the master promissory note and entrance counseling for the federal student loans is due by July 24th? I feel like that wasn't posted and now that I logged in again to discuss how much to take out with my parents it said I had incomplete requirements that are due by this Monday. And of course the student loans website is down for maintenance. I feel like such an airhead. I also missed the deadline for that little facts about us email from Linda. I still sent it in the day after so hopefully it will still be ok :sorry:. I really need to get myself organized again before school starts.

So did anyone else not realize that the master promissory note and entrance counseling for the federal student loans is due by July 24th? I feel like that wasn't posted and now that I logged in again to discuss how much to take out with my parents it said I had incomplete requirements that are due by this Monday. And of course the student loans website is down for maintenance. I feel like such an airhead. I also missed the deadline for that little facts about us email from Linda. I still sent it in the day after so hopefully it will still be ok :sorry:. I really need to get myself organized again before school starts.
You're not an airhead! There are so many little details to keep track of I've had a hard time keeping up.

You're not an airhead! There are so many little details to keep track of I've had a hard time keeping up.

Thank you :) I'm glad I'm not the only one. I can't wait till all the little requirements are done and we can focus on other things

Does anyone remember what kind of shirts they're giving us for the first week? I know there's a link to it in an email somewhere but I can't find it.
They're t-shirts, and I want to say the info about groups and colors is in Canvas somewhere, not in an email.

Not sure if anyone else posted about this (I haven't been on in a couple months), but is there any kind orientation this coming week? I know some other schools do orientation before school starts. I haven't heard anything about one!