UC Davis SVM Class of 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Right, but that only makes it crazier. Then housing/food/personal/transportation comes out to $2,117/month, which seems really, really high. I'm hoping they're overestimating.

It depends, for some people they want to live alone which is minimum $1250 a month living in Sacramento. If they consider on campus housing, it's about $1600? I know it's ridiculously high.

Members don't see this ad.

I was not offered admission... Congrats to those who were accepted!
I was hoping to get some advice. Should I attend Oregon State University or should I reapply to Davis next year (I know I'll be invited for an interview since I was told I was a strong candidate--hopefully they only look at GPA and GRE's next year). Has anyone heard about the DVM program at Oregon? Any advice and input would be much appreciated. Thanks

Where do you see a difference in your portal?
There's just a new menu that says "welcome" with some informational subsections below it! Hope it shows up for you soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was hoping to get some advice. Should I attend Oregon State University or should I reapply to Davis next year (I know I'll be invited for an interview since I was told I was a strong candidate--hopefully they only look at GPA and GRE's next year). Has anyone heard about the DVM program at Oregon? Any advice and input would be much appreciated. Thanks

Sorry you didn't get into Davis, I was rooting for you :(

I have researched both schools a lot and think they are both great programs. One thing I would take into consideration is that OOS Oregon cost is comparable to IS Davis cost. So not only would you would be chancing not getting an acceptance next year from either school, but also you are potentially not saving that much money if you get into Davis next year. (This isn't to say you wouldn't get into either next year, I'm just exploring possibilities.) So I guess you are just going to have to consider if you love Davis that much more than Oregon. But that's really only a question you could answer.

If I was in your position I would take the seat at Oregon, but I realize it is a really personal decision. So do whatever is best for you. Also look into how Oregon handles deferments.

Someone else will probably help you more, but I figured I would give you my two cents.

Edit: Maybe try posting your question in another thread, too. Previous applicants and current vet students might relate to the question you are asking more than us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
It depends, for some people they want to live alone which is minimum $1250 a month living in Sacramento. If they consider on campus housing, it's about $1600? I know it's ridiculously high.
Not necessarily, I was looking at houses that rented for eight or nine hundred dollars a month in Sac. Sac is generally going to be less expensive than Davis and in Davis a one-bedroom goes from anywhere between 1100 and 1300 a month.

I don't know how much they'll offer for you in grants this year, but yeah that's about what I remember getting, plus 500 to help get the laptop they require. I've spent exactly 50 on books so far and I don't see myself spending much more. So those estimates are just that, but the tuition is for sure. Everything else will vary some.

Does anyone know if all of these grants are need-based, or does Davis offer merit-based scholarships as well?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For me a lot of my decision was based on finances. I have a friend at Oregon who's really happy, but shes OOS, and 13k more per year means an extra 52k over 4 years (176k JUST for tuition), and interest on that accumulates while you're in school (davis IS is about 31k, OOS oregon 44k). So it depends on how much extra debt you're willing to take. And before you decide you're ok with it, pop over to the vet forums and read the despair of recent ands not so recent grads and their debt. Davis students average 154k total debt at graduation because of scholarships and grants. I would say unless you're independently wealthy, the right financial choicw is to go IS even if it takes an extra year. But I understand how hard it is to turn down a guaranteed spot, too. Good luck in your decision.

Does anyone know if all of these grants are need-based, or does Davis offer merit-based scholarships as well?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I think our year got our financial aid package grants independent of need but I don't know that for sure. It's a question for the financial aid folks.

Reactions: 2 users
For me a lot of my decision was based on finances. I have a friend at Oregon who's really happy, but shes OOS, and 13k more per year means an extra 52k over 4 years (176k JUST for tuition), and interest on that accumulates while you're in school (davis IS is about 31k, OOS oregon 44k). So it depends on how much extra debt you're willing to take. And before you decide you're ok with it, pop over to the vet forums and read the despair of recent ands not so recent grads and their debt. Davis students average 154k total debt at graduation because of scholarships and grants. I would say unless you're independently wealthy, the right financial choicw is to go IS even if it takes an extra year. But I understand how hard it is to turn down a guaranteed spot, too. Good luck in your decision.

For the record, I was going off of the total attendance figures Oregon and UC Davis quotes on their websites (about 62,000 compared to 58,000 per year). The difference, in the scheme of giving up an acceptance, didn't seem like a lot to me. It's possible these figures aren't exactly correct, though.

@Platypus0417 There is also the opportunity cost of a lost year of post-DVM wages when you have an admission offer but defer to try for a different school. If a person defers a year by choice, it's also a choice to delay your post-DVM employment a year. If you would be making significantly more with a DVM than you would make while taking another year to apply, then the "cost" of that year can sometimes offset or partially offset the difference in the price tag of two schools. This is assuming the post-graduation salary would be similar with a degree from either institution of course, but I would imagine that is the case here. Ultimately, it's probably not a stand alone reason to choose Oregon, but is something to add into the mix if money is a concern and the numbers are close for you.

(Disclaimer: I haven't done any of the math for these two schools so I'm not sure if this consideration would close the gap much for you, but I have been lurking on this thread since Davis would be my one of my top 2 choices if I have to re-apply next year and I just thought I'd throw it in with @serher 's other food for thought :) ).

Last edited:
There's just a new menu that says "welcome" with some informational subsections below it! Hope it shows up for you soon.
Yeah... it showed up right away after I posted ;). Thank you!

For the record, I was going off of the total attendance figures Oregon and UC Davis quotes on their websites (about 62,000 compared to 58,000 per year). The difference, in the scheme of giving up an acceptance, didn't seem like a lot to me. It's possible these figures aren't exactly correct, though.

This is a good point. I focused more on tuition because I'm working/my partner is working and that helps cover CoL, but maybe Oregon is cheap enough that you make up the difference.

@Platypus0417 There is also the opportunity cost of a lost year of post-DVM wages when you have an admission offer but defer to try for a different school. If a person defers a year by choice, it's also a choice to delay your post-DVM employment a year. If you would be making significantly more with a DVM than you would make while taking another year to apply, then the "cost" of that year can sometimes offset or partially offset the difference in the price tag of two schools. This is assuming the post-graduation salary would be similar with a degree from either institution of course, but I would imagine that is the case here. Ultimately, it's probably not a stand alone reason to choose Oregon, but is something to add into the mix if money is a concern and the numbers are close for you.

(Disclaimer: I haven't done any of the math for these two schools so I'm not sure if this consideration would close the gap much for you, but I have been lurking on this thread since Davis would be my one of my top 2 choices if I have to re-apply next year and I just thought I'd throw it in with @serher 's other food for thought :) ).

Also a good thought. I've just become so wary of OOS schools that won't let you switch to IS after a year (which is the majority of them) because vets already have a terrible income:hungover:ebt ratio, and it just seems like any chance to avoid more debt, even at the cost of a year's salary which is a drop in the bucket compared to what you'll be paying, is at least something to consider. But I could totally see the argument the other way. I'm too tired to actually run the numbers though I'm sure someone on here will and will report back ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
It is so hard not to push the accept button! Oh my goodness!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
For anyone who has already accepted their spot, can you tell me whether the Facebook page is really active? I really want to join it but it looks like we are not supposed to join until we accept :).

For anyone who has already accepted their spot, can you tell me whether the Facebook page is really active? I really want to join it but it looks like we are not supposed to join until we accept :).
I haven't accepted yet (though I'm 99% sure I will) and I joined.

I don't think there's anything wrong with joining if you're not sure. It looks like it'll be a good way to get more info. Right now it's kind of active and I'm sure it'll pick up soon- last I saw, there were 120 members.

I haven't accepted yet (though I'm 99% sure I will) and I joined.

I don't think there's anything wrong with joining if you're not sure. It looks like it'll be a good way to get more info. Right now it's kind of active and I'm sure it'll pick up soon- last I saw, there were 120 members.
I'm in the same boat.... about 99% sure I'll be joining. But it looked like we should wait from the instructions. When I looked this morning it said 173 members. I just need to figure out a few things and decline a whole bunch of other schools, etc., before I fully commit. :).

I'm in the same boat.... about 99% sure I'll be joining. But it looked like we should wait from the instructions. When I looked this morning it said 173 members. I just need to figure out a few things and decline a whole bunch of other schools, etc., before I fully commit. :).
If you're concerned you could email admissions or facebook message the group mods, but I don't think you need to. As long as you're not there to troll (not that you would!) it's fine. You were accepted so they want you to come, and they want you to get the information you need to decide.

If you're concerned you could email admissions or facebook message the group mods, but I don't think you need to. As long as you're not there to troll (not that you would!) it's fine. You were accepted so they want you to come, and they want you to get the information you need to decide.
Great idea!!!! Thank you!!!!

Hi everyone! Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted!
I was rejected as an out of state applicant due to the cut-off for GPA scores. (I have a 3.85 overall) I understand UC Davis is an extremely competitive school, especially for their GRE and GPA scores and for out of state applicants. However, I feel like there is no other school for me. Does anyone have any tips for me to improve by the time I apply again next year?

I was rejected as an out of state applicant due to the cut-off for GPA scores. (I have a 3.85 overall) I understand UC Davis is an extremely competitive school, especially for their GRE and GPA scores and for out of state applicants. However, I feel like there is no other school for me. Does anyone have any tips for me to improve by the time I apply again next year?
You might ask admissions. But from what I understand the offer of an interview is mostly based on numbers. Improve your GPA and GRE score perhaps? From my understanding, this was one of the most competitive years, as well. Perhaps a 3.85 will make the cut another year. I've heard of people applying several times to UCD and getting in on the 4th or 5th attempts. There is definitely a way! :)

What was your quantitative GRE score? That's the only thing I could see making a difference since I'm surprised 3.85 didn't make the cut... sorry :(

If UCD is really your top choice, another option is to move to CA, work for a year and apply as an in-state applicant, where 3.85 might make the cut-off a little bit more reasonably. That's actually what I did.

Was 3.85 your cumulative GPA? UC Davis doesn't look at that. They look at last 45 credits GPA, science GPA, quantitative GRE, and the ratings sheet your recommenders filled out (in that order).

Did admissions tell you your GPA was the problem? I got in OOS with a slightly lower average GPA for last 45 and science GPA. However, my last 45 GPA was a 4.0 and I had a very high GRE score, which may have helped.

For those of you who did not attend public schools in CA- did you fill out the pre-requisite substitution form for every pre-req?

I did before applying for one class I didn't think would count (but it did!), but now I'm paranoid I'm going to have my acceptance rescinded because they want something slightly different from what I've taken. Everything seems like it should fit (upper division where it should be upper, descriptions match, etc.) but I'm still a little concerned. Some of my classes are fewer credits than listed, but the class I got approved was 3 credits when the site said 5, so maybe I shouldn't be worried.

I wish I could know if my classes are okay before March 10 because if they're not, I could still take some this semester but I don't want to inundate admissions. I also can't tell how crazy I'm being...

For those of you who did not attend public schools in CA- did you fill out the pre-requisite substitution form for every pre-req?

I did before applying for one class I didn't think would count (but it did!), but now I'm paranoid I'm going to have my acceptance rescinded because they want something slightly different from what I've taken. Everything seems like it should fit (upper division where it should be upper, descriptions match, etc.) but I'm still a little concerned. Some of my classes are fewer credits than listed, but the class I got approved was 3 credits when the site said 5, so maybe I shouldn't be worried.

I wish I could know if my classes are okay before March 10 because if they're not, I could still take some this semester but I don't want to inundate admissions. I also can't tell how crazy I'm being...

I think I just did it for my upper divison science prerequisites. If your class you are worried about got approved, then in my opinion you have nothing to worry about. If you have problems down the road with it, you have proof that UC Davis told you the course fits their requirements. Email them if you are that worried about it, but I wouldn't be so concerned if I were you :)

I think I just did it for my upper divison science prerequisites. If your class you are worried about got approved, then in my opinion you have nothing to worry about. If you have problems down the road with it, you have proof that UC Davis told you the course fits their requirements. Email them if you are that worried about it, but I wouldn't be so concerned if I were you :)
I am from CA and filled out any prerequisites that were not on the assist.org website. Some were approved, some weren't (both upper and lower division courses). You might call and ask. If it were me, I would ask (or send in forms) as that would not be something I would want to be surprised with come June.

Thanks! Yeah, I'm not worried about the one that was approved. I'm actually most concerned about my intro bio classes because the lab sequence at my university is a little weird, but I've taken about a gazillion bio classes/labs at this point so I'm sure something will work.

I am from CA and filled out any prerequisites that were not on the assist.org website. Some were approved, some weren't (both upper and lower division courses). You might call and ask. If it were me, I would ask (or send in forms) as that would not be something I would want to be surprised with come June.

Good point and good to know. I guess I'll call. Thanks!

Thanks! Yeah, I'm not worried about the one that was approved. I'm actually most concerned about my intro bio classes because the lab sequence at my university is a little weird, but I've taken about a gazillion bio classes/labs at this point so I'm sure something will work.

And BTW one of the issues I had was with my lower-level bio classes/labs. I needed to take an extra one, even though it was an exact repeat of a class I had already taken. I would definitely check.

Oh sorry I misunderstood. Yeah definitely email or call then!

And BTW one of the issues I had was with my lower-level bio classes/labs. I needed to take an extra one, even though it was an exact repeat of a class I had already taken. I would definitely check.
And I say--always better to get it down in writing! That way it's CLEAR :).

There's a gigantic application you fill out in October of your first through fourth years where you apply for a subset of more than 700 scholarships. There's more scholarships than vet students, so chances are good you'll get at least one, and they range from 500 to 18k.

Woah, so these are scholarships just for UC Davis students? If so, that's pretty awesome.

What's the class culture/community like there? Is it competitive?

(And thank you for your patience and help with all these questions!)

Can someone please confirm for me that Davis is requiring two semesters of organic lecture and one semester of lab? I've taken orgo 1 and 2 and the lab for orgo 1. I'm on the semester system so that adds up to 6.5 credits for lecture and 1.5 credits for lab.

Thank you!

Can someone please confirm for me that Davis is requiring two semesters of organic lecture and one semester of lab? I've taken orgo 1 and 2 and the lab for orgo 1. I'm on the semester system so that adds up to 6.5 credits for lecture and 1.5 credits for lab.

Thank you!
Not a UC Davis person at all, but for something this important (prereqs) I would recommend confirming with the admissions office that you fulfill the requirements.

Thank you!

I agree with Trilt- just call. I called about pre-reqs, and someone answered right away, was super nice, and was able to answer my questions.

Not a UC Davis person at all, but for something this important (prereqs) I would recommend confirming with the admissions office that you fulfill the requirements.

I agree with Trilt- just call. I called about pre-reqs, and someone answered right away, was super nice, and was able to answer my questions.
I totally planned on doing that, but with the three hour time difference I'm really stressing myself out.

Thanks for your responses though.

I totally planned on doing that, but with the three hour time difference I'm really stressing myself out.

Thanks for your responses though.

I am also stressing out about pre-reqs and everything, so I can definitely relate!

Their website does say two semesters or two quarters with one lab- I just checked. I'm sure you'll be fine :)

I am also stressing out about pre-reqs and everything, so I can definitely relate!

Their website does say two semesters or two quarters with one lab- I just checked. I'm sure you'll be fine :)

Thank you! I will absolutely call to confirm but you've given me some hope.

Woah, so these are scholarships just for UC Davis students? If so, that's pretty awesome.

Yup! Just for us vetties :D

I can only speak from my year and my friends group, but it's way less competative than I expected. The admin actively encourages us to work as a team and support one another. I feel like I could pretty much go to anyone in my class and ask for help, even if I don't know them well. There are those who are more competitive but I don't spend much time with them. I hang out with the cool "yeah we care but we're not gunners" group ;)

Reactions: 3 users

I called and what I have is sufficient but I still feel a bit wary of how the semester courses from my school will port over. I guess I shouldn't stress over it too too much.

I called and what I have is sufficient but I still feel a bit wary of how the semester courses from my school will port over. I guess I shouldn't stress over it too too much.
Are you in-state? Are any of them on the assist.org website? You could also email them each course you are concerned about and get a response in writing. I'm sure you are fine. But you do have options :).

Hooray! Yeah, that's where I am too right now. I'm sure it'll be fine but I'll definitely feel better once everything is up on my portal!

Are you in-state? Are any of them on the assist.org website? You could also email them each course you are concerned about and get a response in writing. I'm sure you are fine. But you do have options :).

I am out of state and went to a school that has 1 semester intensive labs for some classes and whole year sequences for others. Would I be a complete nudge if I also send an email to get it in writing?

I am out of state and went to a school that has 1 semester intensive labs for some classes and whole year sequences for others. Would I be a complete nudge if I also send an email to get it in writing?

I'm in the same situation and the person I spoke to said that should be fine, and that lower division classes are rarely a problem. I'm not planning on contacting them about it further, but if you do, please let me know!

I'm in the same situation and the person I spoke to said that should be fine, and that lower division classes are rarely a problem. I'm not planning on contacting them about it further, but if you do, please let me know!

I decided to submit a pre-req substitution for it just in case. The last day for course registration is in 3 weeks for me, so I just want to have it in writing.

Thank you!
So, I'd still call to double check, but they were fine with my 1 semester with lab of ochem

Just hit that tempting accept button!!!! EEEK lol. Still doesnt feel real!

Reactions: 7 users
It looks like required prerequisites information is up on the portal! Much better than March :). So for anyone worried about whether their prerequisites are satisfied it is probably up on your portal--it's on mine :).

It looks like required prerequisites information is up on the portal! Much better than March :). So for anyone worried about whether their prerequisites are satisfied it is probably up on your portal--it's on mine :).

Nice! I don't have anything there yet, but I'm glad to see they're getting started with it so early.

Is it on the home page of your portal? I have a red bar that says "transcript status" underneath the applicant checklist and nothing else. Did you get an email saying your portal updated, or did you just check?