UC Davis SVM Class of 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nice! I don't have anything there yet, but I'm glad to see they're getting started with it so early.

Is it on the home page of your portal? I have a red bar that says "transcript status" underneath the applicant checklist and nothing else. Did you get an email saying your portal updated, or did you just check?
Yup... homepage. That is where it used to say "transcript status." They still haven't entered the transcripts I just sent them BUT they must have included them as there was a prerequisite that I covered with those and it is not showing as required :). Oh... and no email. I just checked.

Members don't see this ad.

Yup... homepage. That is where it used to say "transcript status." They still haven't entered the transcripts I just sent them BUT they must have included them as there was a prerequisite that I covered with those and it is not showing as required :). Oh... and no email. I just checked.

Awesome, thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
I am so excited! And I got confirmation that they accepted all my classes. Can't wait until August 14th!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anybody submit AP scores? I'm going to email them about again but I was just curious.

Is anyone else still waiting for a portal update with pre-reqs? All my pre-reqs were done when I applied, so they're not waiting for a transcript.

I want to officially withdraw my application from other schools, but I'm afraid to until this is settled. I might give them a call tomorrow, but I know they're busy and don't want to rush or bother them.

Is anyone else still waiting for a portal update with pre-reqs? All my pre-reqs were done when I applied, so they're not waiting for a transcript.

I want to officially withdraw my application from other schools, but I'm afraid to until this is settled. I might give them a call tomorrow, but I know they're busy and don't want to rush or bother them.

Mine hasn't updated either. They're not waiting on transcripts - I only have one prereq pending and I'm taking it now, so they won't get the transcript until the summer (which I indicated in VMCAS when I applied).

ETA: My portal just says "Transcript Status" with nothing below it. No transcripts at all have been entered.

Last edited:

My recent transcripts are not updated. It only shows what transcripts were received from VMCAS. But they included classes from my recent transcripts as they do not show as being required. I would call or message them through the portal. That way you can know for sure!

So it sounds like you have made your choice? I know you were thinking about several options :). I'm getting there, too!

Woo-hoo! Portal updated, everything complete!

Has anyone found any information on when to expect financial aid decisions/packages? I'm trying to decide between my options and it looks like it'll come down to finances but I don't know if that information will be available for Davis before the decision deadline.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Has anyone found any information on when to expect financial aid decisions/packages? I'm trying to decide between my options and it looks like it'll come down to finances but I don't know if that information will be available for Davis before the decision deadline.

I've tried to find this out but have had no luck. It would be nice to get a little more information than is provided on the general website or on our portal.

I contacted the school and was told estimates will be available April/May.

Other info I found that might be helpful:
  • First years get a computer grant to help pay for the required computer.
  • Everyone gets a yearly grant. Last year it was $6,250 (so $25,ooo over 4 years).
  • Over the course of four years, average aid per student comes out to getting about 1 year of tuition free.
  • According to VIN and UC Davis, average aid is $37,800 over four years (so more than 1 year tuition-free, but that could be skewed by a few students getting a lot of aid).
  • In addition to the yearly grants, 70% of students get additional scholarships from UC Davis.
  • If you're OOS, getting in-state tuition after the first year should be pretty easy. Don't leave the state for more than six weeks total, and transfer your license/voter registration/etc. This saves $12,245 each year (after your first year).
  • Based on what I've heard and researched, the school's living expenses estimate is a huuuuuge overestimate, but Davis is more expensive than where most other vet schools are.

Reactions: 3 users
My main concern with trying to get in-state after a year is that my husband is still going to be active duty stationed in Connecticut until the end of 2019 and I'm not a citizen so I can't do voter registration. Makes it weird and no one has quite been able to give me an answer. I'm going to call the office tomorrow and see what I can figure out. XD

My main concern with trying to get in-state after a year is that my husband is still going to be active duty stationed in Connecticut until the end of 2019 and I'm not a citizen so I can't do voter registration. Makes it weird and no one has quite been able to give me an answer. I'm going to call the office tomorrow and see what I can figure out. XD
Ohh that definitely complicates things. Everyone I've talked to there has been super helpful so I'm sure they can give you some answers!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll update here with any information I can find. We want to relocate to the west coast after school so California would definitely be a better long term option than New York.

Did anyone else get a call from Kim'OBryan yesterday about receiving scholarships? :soexcited:

Did anyone else get a call from Kim'OBryan yesterday about receiving scholarships? :soexcited:
Nope. Congratulations! Are you IS or OOS?

Do you know what the scholarship is for (GPA, etc.)?

THANKS! IT WAS SUCH A NICE SURPRISE.
I was like ****, shes calling me to rescind my admission lol
Congratulations! Can I ask--had you already accepted your offer before she called?

Just accepted the offer! Officially UC Davis c/o 2021 :) can't wait to meet you all!

Reactions: 5 users
Just accepted the offer! Officially UC Davis c/o 2021 :) can't wait to meet you all!
Wait--weren't you on the waitlist? #5? That is AMAZING! Congratulations!!!

Wait--weren't you on the waitlist? #5? That is AMAZING! Congratulations!!!
YES!! It happened so fast! And it's my birthday lol best birthday ever! It was tough saying no to Ohio State but it's been my dream school since I decided to become a vet!

YES!! It happened so fast! And it's my birthday lol best birthday ever! It was tough saying no to Ohio State but it's been my dream school since I decided to become a vet!
OMG amazing. And Happy Birthday!!!

That's incredible CONGRATS!!!
Thank you! :) you all have been so supportive
It's good to finally know where I'll be going in august!

:yeahright: I envy you. I still haven't made up my mind. But I did see an awesome house for rent in woodland ready Sept 1st...
I feel I accepted a little fast lol but I had to go with my gut!

Ugh now housing lol I'm bringing a pitbull which definitely makes it harder finding rent, but I'll find something!

I feel I accepted a little fast lol but I had to go with my gut!

Ugh now housing lol I'm bringing a pitbull which definitely makes it harder finding rent, but I'll find something!
Yeah--I keep wanting to look for housing but I haven't made my choice yet! There seem to be a lot of good options now. Check out the Facebook page. There are a lot of people looking for roommates and offering housing :).

Yeah--I keep wanting to look for housing but I haven't made my choice yet! There seem to be a lot of good options now. Check out the Facebook page. There are a lot of people looking for roommates and offering housing :).
My boyfriend is coming with me and he's been investigating for me lol
I met a first year at the interview who had a pitbull and gave me her contact info!

For any current students, how many clubs would you recommend getting involved with? I know we will be super busy, but they look so interesting! How much time do clubs actually require? Thanks for your advice. :)

In my class, all of the first years get involved with a zillion clubs during first year and then kind of toned it down a bit as the years went on and we took on leadership roles in some clubs. Membership in a club doesn't usually take all that much, though some of them that have cool wetlabs give preference to those who help out the clubs for volunteer functions and stuff. Actually being an officer in a club WILL take more time. I was president of the feline medicine club during 3rd year of vet school and it was a lot of work (but back then we ran our own symposium for CE for veterinarians, which is not a thing now).

In my class, all of the first years get involved with a zillion clubs during first year and then kind of toned it down a bit as the years went on and we took on leadership roles in some clubs. Membership in a club doesn't usually take all that much, though some of them that have cool wetlabs give preference to those who help out the clubs for volunteer functions and stuff. Actually being an officer in a club WILL take more time. I was president of the feline medicine club during 3rd year of vet school and it was a lot of work (but back then we ran our own symposium for CE for veterinarians, which is not a thing now).

Awesome advice as always, thanks Nyanko! I think I'll try out all the clubs I'm interested in and see which ones I'll continue on in later years. Also I completely forget, does UC Davis have a dress code for classes? Also when you are in clinics, are you mainly wearing scrubs or professional attire?

Awesome advice as always, thanks Nyanko! I think I'll try out all the clubs I'm interested in and see which ones I'll continue on in later years. Also I completely forget, does UC Davis have a dress code for classes? Also when you are in clinics, are you mainly wearing scrubs or professional attire?
That was one of the plusses for me--no dress code from what I hear (unless you are in the clinic--scrubs)... at the tour people said some people come to class in PJs! :)-- in other words, come as you will ;).

That was one of the plusses for me--no dress code from what I hear (unless you are in the clinic--scrubs)... at the tour people said some people come to class in PJs! :)-- in other words, come as you will ;).
Omg this is a major plus lol
I usually wear yoga pants to class so I was hoping it wasn't business casual or anything

For any current students, how many clubs would you recommend getting involved with? I know we will be super busy, but they look so interesting! How much time do clubs actually require? Thanks for your advice. :)

I got involved in ALL the clubs (except for LA since that's not really my focus) lol. I think there's nothing wrong with signing up as a member for a bunch of clubs and then once you get a better sense of what each club does/is involved with/offers you can sort of focus on those. One thing I wish I'd known, is there's a giant event at the beginning of the school year where you can sign up for clubs you're into, however for most clubs (VMBA is the big exception) you can basically sign up at any point in the year. So if you didn't sign up for surgery club because you weren't sure it was awesome, but then later they had a wet lab you're super into, you can become a member then. Dues are usually 10-15/club. I did that for the few clubs I didn't initially join but found out later were awesome. "time" becomes a very relative term in vet school...clubs themselves take basically no time if all you do is attend the lunch meetings for free food (for members, of course). There are activities outside of school that can take up more time-wet labs might be 2-3 hours, or shadowing opportunities might have shifts of 4-6 hours. There are also all-day field trips that can be, well, all day. My rule of thumb is no big activities that'll mess with my sleep schedule the week of an exam (so, every other week or so), and no more than one large event per weekend. So if I have a fun thing on Saturday, I make sure Sunday is clear, and vice versa. At the start of every month I review my schedule and put in a bunch of "DO NOT BOOK" days/times and "LEAVE TO STUDY" days/times, then later it becomes really easy to fill in what spots I have available.

Club officer positions can definitely require more time, but not all of them, and I encourage everyone to test their comfort zones by going out for a leadership position! I'm involved in a couple, some require basically no time other than attending meetings I'd be going to anyways, others require considerably more, but the students will tell you honestly how much of a time commitment it is. Don't be shy, but at the same time, pick things you think you'll enjoy doing. Don't just take the first opportunity that comes by, because trust me, there are TONS of opportunities.

Reactions: 2 users
Omg this is a major plus lol
I usually wear yoga pants to class so I was hoping it wasn't business casual or anything
All I own are yoga pants and scrubs. You are among friends :D

Hiii guys!! I am thinking about applying this cycle to UC Davis as an OOS. Do you guys (OOS) mind telling me your stats?

Hiii guys!! I am thinking about applying this cycle to UC Davis as an OOS. Do you guys (OOS) mind telling me your stats?

Last 45 GPA: 4.0
Science GPA: 3.79
Quant GRE: 162

Those plus your score on letters of recommendation is what factors in to an offer for an interview. Admissions is based entirely on your interview.

Those plus your score on letters of recommendation is what factors in to an offer for an interview. Admissions is based entirely on your interview.

Actually at this point, your letters of rec aren't routinely read. That may change in the future, but for now qualifying for an interview is based solely on your numbers - GPA (overall, science and last 45), and GRE. You still need at least one letter of rec from a veterinarian but they don't generally factor into admissions.

Actually at this point, your letters of rec aren't routinely read. That may change in the future, but for now qualifying for an interview is based solely on your numbers - GPA (overall, science and last 45), and GRE. You still need at least one letter of rec from a veterinarian but they don't generally factor into admissions.

It was my understanding that the score on the LOR on the scaling was factored in, but the actual letter wasn't read. Perhaps not though, thanks for the info!

It was my understanding that the score on the LOR on the scaling was factored in, but the actual letter wasn't read. Perhaps not though, thanks for the info!
That was my understanding, as well (that letters weren't necessarily read, but that the scores were taken into account). Perhaps this has changed?

Your Quant GRE score is amazing!! :nod: I haven't taken the exam yet, but I sure am struggling with that part. :(