UC Davis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dynamite

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, i woke up, brushed my teeth, took a shower, checked my email, and voila....a nice rejection from UCD. Feeling disappointed because i thought that i was their "type" of student. For those who received interviews as UCD, can you please tell us your stats. I'm wondering what kind of student they are looking for. Their email was not very informative. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey dynamite -

I haven't interviewed there, but they've had my secondary for at least 2 months now. How long was your file complete before they decided?

sorry dynamite about the rejection. i think the UC's are very random about their secondaries and interviews. i was lucky to get the interview invite in my email this morning, but my app has been complete as early as it could have been so i was waiting for the rejection notice, so it does take them a while to process everything. if it makes you feel any better, i got a swift and harsh UCSF rejection even after appealing it. I didn't get secondaries from any other CA schools except for San Diego, and I am on hold for an interview there. So, Davis is my only hope for a CA acceptance. i'm not sure what kind of student they are looking for. i have a low undergrad gpa from a liberal arts college in the East Coast. i did an MPH at Berkeley, and have been working in public health for 2 years. my mcat is in the low 30s. i have several volunteer experiences and publications. i grew up in sacramento, but not in an underprivileged part which i heard can adversely affect you at many of the UCs. i am not a URM. i do know several students at UCD and they all seem to be older non-traditional students who have been out for a while and doing cool stuff. i'm not sure any of the UCs are looking for a specific type. as i am sure you know they have their pick of the litter and so who know what it takes. good luck to you in getting into your desired school(s).

Members don't see this ad :)
monkeyrunner-
my app was complete on 10/31. maybe it was the evil spirits of halloween that jinxed my app...

mdhopeful-
thanks for the reply. yeah, ditto here about UCSF. i thought UCD would be my "safe" school in CA. but now with it out the window, i'm at a loss as to my chances to stay in-state. you seem to be well on your way to a CA school. i think many of the CA schools look for a lot of life experiences, in addition to the numbers. you seem to have such experiences (i'm still an undergrad). but, i am thinking about appealing. i want to know what it was about my app that needs improvement. anyway, you appealed UCSF, so if you could give me any hints, i would greatly appreciate it. also, how long did it take to get an interview invite from UCSD? and was it an email? thanks a lot. i wish you good luck on your davis interview.

hi dynamite - actually, i didn't get an interview at UCSD, they put me on hold for one, which I heard basically means that you wait until May until they tell you that you didn't get an interview. They sent me an email probably 2 weeks after I mailed in my secondary. Did you get a secondary from UCSD? If you haven't you should call them and see if you have been given one. I called them, and two days later got an email with their secondary attached. Some other people have posted having the same experience.

Anyways, I have heard various things about whether appeals work. I have heard many stories that at UCLA there is one person who sorts through the primaries to determine whether you get a secondary. People who have interviewed there after they appealed and got a secondary have said that their interviewers wondered why they originally didn't get a secondary. So, I don't think it hurts. When I appealed to UCSF, I wrote the dean a letter basically asking him to review my application, telling him a little more about my life experience, and reiterating that I felt I couldn't be fairly reviewed without them having my recommendation letters and essays. I also had this spiel about how I am much more than numbers. If you do decide to appeal, just be honest, don't be pushy. Really, you are just trying to fight on your behalf that you get fairly evaluated and considered. That's all you can ask for in this process. I'm pretty sure that no matter what you write in your appeal, they will take another look at your application to make sure they didn't make a mistake. Someone posted that they heard Davis wasn't taking appeals this year because the cycle is so messed up, so please keep us posted as to what happens. Good luck!

i wouldn't sweat uc davis...they rejected me without interview, too (after I had already interviewed at UCSF and some other decent schools). i think they're looking for the cow tipping, soil-science major type.

anyway -- i thought it was tacky for them to send their rejections via email. so i will forever boycott uc davis! haha

From my experience and hearing everyone else's comments, I think it is extremely difficult if not impossible to say what 'Their Type of Student' is.

I do know that their office has given time to those they have rejected in the past to tell them how to improve their application or why they were rejected, etc. I have heard this from one student who then got accepted their the next year. I am not sure if this was an isolated incident, but it might give you one avenue to pursue if you so choose.

Hey guys, I unfortunately got a rejection email this morning as well! I had received the secondary and sent it in on the last day that it was due, Dec. 19 ( I had to study for finals before this) so my app was only complete for about three weeks, two of which I am sure they were on break. I think that my weakness was my lack of volunteering in underpriviledged areas(they ask a lot about this on the secondary) and also maybe not enough health care experience. Oh well, all I can hope for now is to get interviews from the other UC schools!

They must have sent out a big stack of rejections yesterday because I got mine then as well. Bummer. I guess we'll just have to keep charging ahead...