UCLA Course load

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johhnybravo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Tell him to man up.

Not a current UCLA student. But was in the past.

Does he already have LS 2 and 3? And Chem 14a and 14c? All are pre-reqs for LS4. Does he have Math 3A and 3B? Both are pre-reqs for Physics....and math 3C is a co-req. And I'm not familiar with BioChem 1? Do you mean Chem 153A? I don't recall a BioChem 1...although it's been a while. If you do mean Chem 153A, the you need to get all the through Chem 14D first.

And if he is not yet used to the rigors at UCLA, then yes, I think it likely would be suicide to attempt those classes. Where is he transferring from?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not sure if we have BioChem 1? Do you mean 153A? The Intro to BioChem?

I think it really depends on how his study skill is. My first quarter was similar: Physics1A, Psych upper-div and 153A. To me it was overwhelming because I cannot get used to the pace (10 weeks feel like 2 weeks for me). Ask your brother how he thinks about the load and let him choose. If he is unsure, start slow.

Chem153A requires a lot of time and tons of memorization. Physics is easier with 6 series. LS4 is not that bad but you still have to put in effort. But it is a doable schedule, just spend a lot of time studying and doing practice problems.

Any UCLA student know if taking Genetics (LS4), physics 6A or B, and Biochem 1 in their first quarter at the school is suicide? Especially after transferring and not being used to the university level courses. Seeking some advice for my brother in case he gets in next year.

Thanks!

If it is his first quarter after transferring, that is a very difficult schedule to attempt. (Unless you are absolutely ready to hit the ground running and do nothing but study, or are very very smart. You are really setting yourself up for failure by taking three pre-reqs without being used to the rigor of UCLA science classes.

If at all possible, try to just take one science pre-req and two easier upper division electives for your first quarter while adjusting. It may be possible to take both genetics and physics, along with an easier upper div elective, but even that is going to be hard. Save biochem for later on.

Yeah I meant 153a my bad. And he does have all the pre-reqs from El Camino College. He wants to be ready to take the mcat in the spring and wants to get ls4, physics, and biochem done before then.

Is there any physics 6c on the mcat? Or chem 153b? He could spread ls4, physics 6a, 6b, and 153a out before the mcat and do 6c and 153b after the mcat. Think that would work?

Possible schedule:

Fall: physics 6a and ls4
Winter: physics 6b and 153a
Spring: light load for remaining mcat study time
Fall: physics 6c, 153b

I am not too familiar with the new MCAT format but 6C was definitely covered on the old one: optics, sound/light waves, fluids, etc. Generally CHem 153A should be good enough for MCAT. What's his major? Most pre-med students do not take anything beyond 153a unless they have to.

I could see that possible schedule working out. Studying for the MCAT over the summer isn't an option? It would be in his best interests to take physics 6c before studying for the MCAT but it's possible to self-study the material in that course as well.

I was a UCLA alum and that is manageable

Reactions: 1 user
What kinds of grades is he pulling in at El Camino? That fall and winter sounds reasonable, along with an easier class. No way should he do 3 tough courses in his first quarter. He will have to be read to hit the ground running to get used to the rigor at UCLA. I would suggest Physics 6C in the spring, before the MCAT.

And, I don't recall where transfer students fall when it comes to priority. He may or may not be able to get all the classes he wants when he wants them.