UCLA Prime Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caspercyf7

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have any information on how the application process works for the UCLA Prime program? How many usually apply since there are only 18 seats available?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you asking cuz you just got that email from them? If not, here's what they said in the email about applying:

Perhaps you would be interested in joining us. A separate application is required for UCLA PRIME. So it will be necessary to return to the AMCAS web-site and designate the UCLA PRIME program separately in the same fashion that you have already applied to UCLA on your AMCAS application. Applicants will go through a different UCLA PRIME admissions process, one that we expect to be as unique as UCLA PRIME itself.

UCLA PRIME will be accepting applicants until December 21, 2007. Information about the program can be found at http://www.medsch.ucla.edu/uclaprime

Sounds like a really cool program. I don't know much about the stats about how many apply and stuff, maybe that website says. I dunno if that answers your question, haha. Good luck!

I believe it's a new program this year. You "apply" by adding the UCLA PRIME program using AMCAS ($30 additional fee).

Members don't see this ad :)
I e-mailed to ask and it's like applying to a separate school. start at amcas, wait for secondary, etc... separate processes and such.

I got that e-mail today too. I bet very few people applied to it. Not sure if you would have a better chance getting in through that route, though. Does anyone plan on adding it?

its a brand new program for next year. however, if your only reason to apply is to think you might have a better shot in getting in, i wouldnt do so. the program is a mandatory dual degree program so you should only apply if you are deeply interested in spending an extra year to get a second degree, other than that disclaimer--i think it's an excellent program and reinstates why ucla is a premier institution and at the forefront of medicine.

I think I'm considering it, actually. I will probably look at it more this weekend.

its a brand new program for next year. however, if your only reason to apply is to think you might have a better shot in getting in, i wouldnt do so. the program is a mandatory dual degree program so you should only apply if you are deeply interested in spending an extra year to get a second degree, other than that disclaimer--i think it's an excellent program and reinstates why ucla is a premier institution and at the forefront of medicine.

What kind of extra degrees do you have to get?

did they just send out this e-mail to all applicants today? or did they pick applicants that they thought may be interested?

just wondering if i am a victim of a mass e-mailing because ucla didn't get enough applicants to its PRIME program :rolleyes:

I received an interview invite for the regular M.D. program in an email and another email talking about the PRIME program on the same day. Does this mean that if I'm interested in applying to UCLA through PRIME, I would have to go to both my regular interview and possible another interview sometime in the future? Thanks..

Yes, they're two different programs at the same school. They have two seperate applications/interviews. You can't just use your Geffen interview/application for the Prime program.

did they just send out this e-mail to all applicants today? or did they pick applicants that they thought may be interested?

just wondering if i am a victim of a mass e-mailing because ucla didn't get enough applicants to its PRIME program :rolleyes:

I am pretty sure they sent it to all applicants.

What do you get out of the PRIME program? Do they fund your extra degree? Do they provide some type of scholarship or stipend? Because a lot of places already have dual degree programs.. and so does UCLA so I'm just trying to figure out what about the program is different (besides the medically underserved focus).

ahem, Rocky6, aren't you supposed to be studying for finals?????? j/k I haven't been back on this site for a while... Argh, block 2 is scary!

fyi, they have an faq on their website now. answers some, if not most your questions.

Could someone post pr PM the secondary questions you had for PRIME please, I would really appreciate it.