2025-2026 UCLA (PRIME)

Started by lotusflwr
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
really? i belive its always been people from LA county, the website shows where they are from
if you look closely there are a couple of people who are not from LA county from what I remember. I think there was someone from the Bay or out of the country in a couple of the scholarship's early years? it's been a while since I looked but it's def huge majority LA
 
omg I haven't heard about the 6 year thing?! do you know why that might be? I know some Geffen students took an extra year to study for step but I didn't realize people in PRIME were adding an extra year also. I wonder how common this is? 🤔

yeah its pretty common i think...

my friend and I, they got into prime and I into the md track have been talking to students..

we have been told and we confirmed by stalking peoples instagram (seeing dates for their first year) that the 6+ year is true. maybe this is due to the curriculum that used to be 1 yr for pre-clinical? and so students took an extra year and with those in prime well it was 6 years? the 6 years is unfortunately more common with prime as the masters years is required
 
if you look closely there are a couple of people who are not from LA county from what I remember. I think there was someone from the Bay or out of the country in a couple of the scholarship's early years? it's been a while since I looked but it's def huge majority LA
yes, i think for the first years of the program but the more recent years have all been LA
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
anyone know how much funding md students vs prime students get for conferences? i believe ucsf, ucsd, and uci prime from what I know fully fund their students for conferences including housing, transportation, and flights (as well as md track) but how about ucla? thx
 
yeah its pretty common i think...

my friend and I, they got into prime and I into the md track have been talking to students..

we have been told and we confirmed by stalking peoples instagram that the 6+ year is true. maybe this is due to the curriculum that used to be 1 yr for pre-clinical? and so students took an extra year and with those in prime well it was 6 years?
That is concerning to me bc 6+ years on such a large scale signals a potential lack of support (especially if this was a trend for more than one PRIME cohort). I wonder how that affects funding too? I really hope that the new 1.5 year preclinical will be a good change for our class, but I can't help but wonder if we'll experience a bunch of growing pains as well
 
That is concerning to me bc 6+ years on such a large scale signals a potential lack of support (especially if this was a trend for more than one PRIME cohort). I wonder how that affects funding too? I really hope that the new 1.5 year preclinical will be a good change for our class, but I can't help but wonder if we'll experience a bunch of growing pains as well
completely agree, and I do not think its prime specific
both of the foos in medicine (awesome individuals) did 5+ years one of them i believe is not in prime and the other is? the one who is in prime is doing a masters and they both started in 2021 so graduating in 2026 & 2027
one of the others who matched also did another year from a diff cohort based on her posts
and various in the md class
 
That is concerning to me bc 6+ years on such a large scale signals a potential lack of support (especially if this was a trend for more than one PRIME cohort). I wonder how that affects funding too? I really hope that the new 1.5 year preclinical will be a good change for our class, but I can't help but wonder if we'll experience a bunch of growing pains as well
Yes some people do take 6+ years graduating but that is not the case for most people. Some people take an extra gap year to focus on more research, retake STEP, etc. in order to match a more competitive speciality. Some do a 2 year masters. I wouldn't worry too much about the prospect of graduating in 6+ years tbh

PRIME LA will only cover one year of a master's, and specifically only really UCLA's masters programs like the MPH/MPP (with the exception of the MBA, it's a little more complicated and you would have to fund the rest of it yourself). People who want to do 2 year master programs are putting themselves in more financial debt.
 
Touching back on the scholarship offers, we don't know when those would be coming out yet, correct? Or is it usually closer to the Spring?
Do you mean the PAL? DGSOM is supposed to release the PAL within three days of you submitting FAFSA and any other required forms. Fin aid sent an instruction email. Are you talking about different scholarships bc I'm not sure about the named ones? I would guess any additional PRIME scholarships might come with the PAL, and these might change as people withdraw their offer. I hope this helps! 🙂
 
Last edited:
Do you mean the PAL? DGSOM is supposed to release the PAL within three days of you submitting FAFSA and any other required forms. Fin aid sent an instruction email. Are you talking about different scholarships bc I'm not sure about the named ones? I would guess any additional PRIME scholarships might come with the PAL, and these might change as people withdraw their offer. I hope this helps! 🙂
Thank you! Yes I was actually referring to L.A. Care and Leaders of Tomorrow. But thank you all for responding! 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone heard from prime? I heard back from regular DGSOM (R 😔) but no prime.. or does this mean it’s a prime R too?
I also got the R from DGSOM today 🙁 I haven't heard back from PRIME team post-interview, but I'm guessing it's an R too since the PRIME acceptances/waitlist offers seem to be set.
 
Does anyone know when students are supposed to commit to one school or narrow down their choices? I’m on waitlist and don’t expect much movement but if there is any movement want to see when to expect it around
 
anyone know when students are supposed to commit to one school or narrow down their choices? I’m on waitlist and don’t expect much movement but if there is any movement want to see when to expect it around
I believe the deadline to commit to one school is Apr 30. In general, there's often a lot of waitlist movement on that date
 
Does anyone know when students are supposed to commit to one school or narrow down their choices? I’m on waitlist and don’t expect much movement but if there is any movement want to see when to expect it around
I think you're supposed to hold no more than 3 acceptances by April 15th
 
Any movement from the Prime waitlist? Or any idea when that might happen? April 30th is around the corner.
From what I see on past threads, it usually happens on April 30th and latest May 2ndish. (For prime specifically) So I’m having a little hope but honestly if I’m not off waitlist by May 2nd then I’m pretty much treating it as not getting off
 
Anybody accepted from prime waitlist? Saw waitlisted students got accepted earlier today around 10:30 in case you haven’t checked email!
 
Has anyone else heard nothing from PRIME? No R, no WL, nothing? I’m assuming at this point it’s a no but just surprised that it’s been absolute silence.