2025-2026 UCLA (PRIME)

Started by lotusflwr
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Conrgats everyone! Does this mean we didn't get in if we didn't hear? Also, how does it work if we are in consideration for PRIME and Trad MD? Can we still get in trad MD if we didnt get in here, I'm guessing many PRIME applicants myself included also prefer PRIME, so can we stay on a PRIME WL
Hang in there! Per the instagram, PRIME might release the A's in drips this week. PRIME and trad are two totally separate admissions committees, so you can still get into trad if you don't hear back from PRIME. Trad is very much still releasing decisions, and I've heard of people getting trad acceptances without waitlists as far out as April. Hope you hear soon! <3
 
Congrats everyone! 🥹 Anxiously waiting by the phone since earlier haha. Does anyone know if historically they send As over multiple days? Or usually in one day? Ahh 🙏🏼
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How are people feeling about the financial aid situation? Also, if our master's year tuition is covered by the master's institution, does the PRIME award become a stipend for us or would we lose that funding?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I realize this is incredibly subjective, but how do people figure out how much debt is "reasonable" to take on? It feels daunting
 
I realize this is incredibly subjective, but how do people figure out how much debt is "reasonable" to take on? It feels daunting
From what I've seen, private loans as a whole are totally unreasonable, unless that's literally your only option. I've been reading about horror stories with them, especially as a low income student, and you need to reapply every year (as in the funding isn't guaranteed, and as such, you're taking a big risk by attending a school that requires private loans. Especially for a low income student like me, there's so many ways it can go totally south and you could just end up screwed, and it seems like a very poor financial decision to risk that.

If all options require private loans, my line is at the cheapest for the aforementioned reasons. If neither requires private loans, then my line is about 75k total extra debt, that's 6 figures with tuition, which seems rather significant when all med schools are fundamentally the same.

So TLDR: Avoid/minimize private loans at all costs, and if fortunate enough to do that, probably around 50-75k more over 4 yrs than the cheapest option! Just my $0.02! Curious to hear your and other thoughts as well! But IMO with the BBB, and esp for low income students, finance comes first.
 
also a heads up, a ucla financial aid officer told recently told me that for need based grant that "officially we are supposed to say 10k, but I'm telling you right now it might be 0". Honestly this is ridiculous, when other schools like UCSF have need based grants for up to $50k/year. I wouldn't be surprised if many people withdraw their UCLA A, esp bc they have told people over and over that they don't care what other schools are offering them, and that their offer is final.
Thanks for sharing this info! To clarify, are you saying that even if Geffen were to provide around 10k per year in fin aid on top of the PRIME scholarships in our Provisional Award Letter that the Geffen funding might not hold up?
 
Last edited:
Thanks for sharing this info! To clarify, are you saying that even if Geffen provided around 10k per year in fin aid on top of the PRIME scholarships in our Provisional Award Letter that the Geffen funding might not hold up?
Sorry, didn't mean to start any implications or rumors. That was just told and wasn't provided any clarification on what they meant by that specifically, I think they meant that in my case specifically--at least that is how I took it
 
Thanks for sharing this info! To clarify, are you saying that even if Geffen provided around 10k per year in fin aid on top of the PRIME scholarships in our Provisional Award Letter that the Geffen funding might not hold up?
did you get your PAL and it includes a 10k Geffen scholarship? Do you know if this is PRIME specific?
 
Sorry, didn't mean to start any implications or rumors. That was just told and wasn't provided any clarification on what they meant by that specifically, I think they meant that in my case specifically--at least that is how I took it
you're so good! I was just curious. I'll make an appointment with fin aid and find out. thanks again!
 
did you get your PAL and it includes a 10k Geffen scholarship? Do you know if this is PRIME specific?
The 10k some people have been talking about is need-based and not PRIME specific. PRIME has its own scholarships though. From talking to friends in PRIME, I believe it's often 20k per year + remainder of master's year tuition covered at around 55k (4th year) + 100k total for the 5th year. They might have additional scholarships they offer some students on top of that but I'm not too sure about specifics aside from Leaders of Tomorrow and LA Cares. Maybe someone else can comment on this if I'm mistaken?
 
The 10k some people have been talking about is need-based and not PRIME specific. PRIME has its own scholarships though. I believe it's 20k per year + remainder of master's year tuition covered at around 55k (4th year) + 100k for 5th year
Ah, I saw that, I think 10k/year is the max need based right. Thanks for sharing! It's good to know people are recieving it!

If you got your PRIME PAL, would you know if all those scholarships were included on the PAL? Also, a 100k scholarship for the 5th year?

Also, on the PRIME PALs, you get federal loans, PRIME/Other scholarships, and then there's just a balance right (no other loans or anyth)? Sorry just trying to compare with my traditional PAL and figure out how PRIME scholarship works lol
 
Ah, I saw that, I think 10k/year is the max need based right. Thanks for sharing! It's good to know people are recieving it!

If you got your PRIME PAL, would you know if all those scholarships were included on the PAL? Also, a 100k scholarship for the 5th year?

Also, on the PRIME PALs, you get federal loans, PRIME/Other scholarships, and then there's just a balance right (no other loans or anyth)? Sorry just trying to compare with my traditional PAL and figure out how PRIME scholarship works lol
I've heard of some people currently in PRIME, like M1s, getting 100k for the 5th year. They said the package I mentioned before was standard, but maybe something is changing for our year idk? I feel like some people on other threads said only the master's year was covered. What have you heard? I'm a little confused, and some of the terms sound complicated. Wish I had more answers
 
I've heard of some people currently in PRIME, like M1s, getting 100k for the 5th year. They said the package I mentioned before was standard, but maybe something is changing for our year idk? I feel like some people on other threads said only the master's year was covered. What have you heard? I'm a little confused, and some of the terms sound complicated. Wish I had more answers
Oh, I've mainly heard 20k/yr + fully subsidized masters tuition haha, but I'm not an expert.

Sorry I think I'm a little confused, can I ask if you recieved your PAL yet with the PRIME scholarships + 10k separately, or if you have yet to hear back with the PAL, and this is just the expected package?

I was just wondering if those were this year's officially released packages haha
 
Oh, I've mainly heard 20k/yr + fully subsidized masters tuition haha, but I'm not an expert.

Sorry I think I'm a little confused, can I ask if you recieved your PAL yet with the PRIME scholarships + 10k separately, or if you have yet to hear back with the PAL, and this is just the expected package?

I was just wondering if those were this year's officially released packages haha
oh I'm not too sure about this year then! hopefully, someone else can inform us. I've heard some mixed things too from different PRIME classes
 
oh I'm not too sure about this year then! hopefully, someone else can inform us. I've heard some mixed things too from different PRIME classes
I have a friend who chose UCSF last year but was offered that same package also, if that helps! I guess we'll all find out soon enough. fingers crossed they can meet everyone's need this year
 
prime has prime specific scholarships? also isnt la care only for those from la? that is what i have been told by others but not too sure about the specifics, seems like those from la who got into prime have an advantage for this as its usually students from prime unless im mistaken
 
is anyone concerned about students in prime graduation in 6+ years, this is what those in the program have been telling a friend of mine

a friends at UCSF did 6 years but due to pursing a masters at an ivy so it was 4 for md and 2 for masters at a different institution so its weird that some in prime are doing 6 years but maybe this is just for geffen in general
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
prime has prime specific scholarships? also isnt la car only for those from la? that is what i have been told by others but not too sure about the specifics, seems like those from la who got into prime have an advantage for this as its usually students from prime unless im mistaken
I think half of the LA Care awards goto DGSOM/PRIME and the other half go to CDU students. Those awardees are almost always from LA (although a few aren't!) Yes, PRIME-LA comes with guaranteed scholarships. I think there's a baseline and then some additional funding students can receive as well that is set aside for PRIME only
 
I have a friend who chose UCSF last year but was offered that same package also, if that helps! I guess we'll all find out soon enough. fingers crossed they can meet everyone's need this year
same with a acquaintance at uci, ucsd, and kaiser who give more aids and some full rides
 
is anyone concerned about students in prime graduation in 6+ years, this is what those in the program have been telling a friend of mine

a friends at UCSF did 6 years but due to pursing a masters at an ivy so it was 4 for md and 2 for masters at a different institution so its weird that some in prime are doing 6 years but maybe this is just for geffen in general
omg I haven't heard about the 6 year thing?! do you know why that might be? I know some Geffen students took an extra year to study for step but I didn't realize people in PRIME were adding an extra year also. I wonder how common this is? 🤔
 
I think half of the LA Care awards goto DGSOM/PRIME and the other half go to CDU students. Those awardees are almost always from LA (although a few aren't!) Yes, PRIME-LA comes with guaranteed scholarships. I think there's a baseline and then some additional funding students can receive as well that is set aside for PRIME only
really? i believe its always been people from LA county, the website shows where they are from