SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

UCLA unranked waitlist 2007

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Jr applicant, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Jr applicant

Jr applicant Junior Member 2+ Year Member

Aug 11, 2006
    Just thought I'd go ahead and start this thread out so we can all support each other through the long process of trying to get off the waitlist!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Psyche Estrelle

Psyche Estrelle Fear and Loathing in Los Angeles Physician 7+ Year Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    thanks for starting this... I was really depressed today, especially since I have only waitlists at other schools and no acceptance yet to speak of... hopefully we all still have a chance for UCLA.

4. narc

narc 2+ Year Member

May 26, 2006

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  5. uclabruindoc

uclabruindoc 2+ Year Member

Dec 18, 2006
    yeah this really sucks....i was hoping to enjoy my spring quarter. Does anyone know how many people get accepted into the geffen program from the 170 slots?

6. narc

narc 2+ Year Member

May 26, 2006
    I believe it is around 125-140 if I remember correctly.

7. ncbabyblue717

ncbabyblue717 2+ Year Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA

Same here...this makes 2 waitlists, and 10 pre-interview rejections. Do you think it's too soon to prepare for re-application?

8. UCLAstudent

UCLAstudent I'm a luck dragon! 10+ Year Member

Sep 6, 2002
    CA
    24 go to Drew/UCLA and 24 go to UCR/UCLA. Geffen's class size is 121 (weird number).

9. sagemedecon

sagemedecon 2+ Year Member

Aug 31, 2006
    I'm sad to say I'm here to join the party. At least I know I'm in good company.

10. shadoctor

shadoctor 2+ Year Member

Aug 26, 2006
    any idea as to how many people are on the unranked waitlist?

11. GoGoPandaBot

GoGoPandaBot Junior Member 2+ Year Member

Apr 26, 2006
    there were 13 that were 3/21 unranked waitlist on the other thread.

that is, 12 others, and myself.

Sigh...

12. doctor0125

doctor0125 Junior Member 2+ Year Member

Aug 4, 2006
    guess ill join the club

13. Jr applicant

Jr applicant Junior Member 2+ Year Member

Aug 11, 2006
    do you think they even look at the waitlist before may 15th? i wonder if they look at us as totally new applicants during re-evaluation if its "unranked" or if they take our initial score into consideration...

14. Tatowedges

Tatowedges clap your hands say yeah 2+ Year Member

May 30, 2006
    Hi all! Mom called me about waitlist letter while I was vacationing. UCLA was the last school I was waiting to hear from. It is also my top choice. Looks like I won't be having any closure anytime soon....

Okay, done with being pessimistic. Its not over til its over. Even though the wait sucks, its better than to have been put in the hold list or rejected.

I'm glad this thread is here. Best of luck to us in the coming months!!! :luck:

15. Psyche Estrelle

Jan 8, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    if i knew I were reapplying for this cycle for sure i'd definitely start now... i mean this is when i started with the personal statement and letters of rec last year... in March.

Personally though I'm going to wait till the end of April before deciding to figure out a Plan B... and I wouldn't reapply for this cycle because this was my senior year and I don't have much clinical wise to beef up my application (just lots of research stuff). Plus, my grades went down this year, so if I couldn't get in this year with a 3.87, that doesn't spell good news for next year. :/

For the record, I'm on 4 waitlists and am still waiting to hear from 5 schools. GPA 3.87/3.85 and MCAT 31"O", the usual extracurriculars. I think the problem for me was that I applied late (my AMCAS wasn't verified until early October, eekkkk!! I had no idea transcripts took that long to get verified!), my MCAT was a little low, and I applied to too many top tier schools.

16. dsh

dsh 10+ Year Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Just wanted to drop by, say hello, and wish us all good luck. UCLA is my #1 choice and I hope we'll all be classmates next year.

I go to UCR so I'm also considering the UCR/UCLA program. I figure that if I'm competitive enough to get in the regular UCLA waitlist I'm set for the biomed program. Decisions still haven't been released though, so maybe I shouldn't say anything just yet. I might jinx myself. :laugh:

17. narc

narc 2+ Year Member

May 26, 2006
    I should be on this list monday. No closure for me as well, but I wont complain because I will be going somewhere in Ca so I am thankful for that. I am not sure I could keep it together if I was in the position of having to come with a Plan B

18. Mortal_Lessons

Mortal_Lessons H.Perowne 10+ Year Member

Aug 15, 2006
    New England
    Hi,

I was completely unaware that UCLA has already begun sending out waitlist letters. Did those of you who have received one interview early? I interviewed March 2 and have not heard back from them. Have they given out all their acceptances already and everyone else is waitlisted or post-interview rejected?

19. narc

narc 2+ Year Member

May 26, 2006
    Doubt you would hear back this early.

20. Steve203

Steve203 5+ Year Member

Jan 26, 2006
    I am also adding myself to this thread......just for the record I am 0-6 when it comes to waitlists (from previous applications)....here's hoping I can up the record to 1-7

21. dsh

dsh 10+ Year Member

Jun 10, 2005
    That's some tenacity you've got to go for it three times. Congratulations on getting an acceptance!

22. sagemedecon

Aug 31, 2006
    Is anyone thinking of not accepting their spot on the wailist? Maybe that could bring some hope to the rest of us on it. Maybe we can all pool our money and try and convince those with acceptances that other schools are clearly superior and more deserving of their presence next year.

23. kelvin81

kelvin81 Member 5+ Year Member

Apr 24, 2006
    ahem... j/k
    Good luck to everyone, 50% of this unranked list will get accepted. That's a VERY GOOD number guys.

24. Tatowedges

Tatowedges clap your hands say yeah 2+ Year Member

May 30, 2006
    Where do you get this information from kelvin? How many people are on the wait list?

25. ryanpahler

ryanpahler New Member 2+ Year Member

Jul 2, 2006
    how do u guys know you're on the waitlist. I interviewed Jan 26th and still have no status change. what does this mean? it's tough to keep track with all these UCLA threads, but does anyone know if they are still giving out more acceptances?

26. narc

narc 2+ Year Member

May 26, 2006
    I dont think anyone knows at this point. I think we were all of the opinion that there would be acceptances in the letters sent 3/21 and 3/22 but as of right now 100% of those letters have been something other than acceptances. If acceptances will be going out they have to do it soon since second look is approaching here soon.

27. sagemedecon

Aug 31, 2006
    I got the status page change 3/21 and the lovely letter in the mail on saturday which reads: "We have thus assigned you to a waitlist without ranking."

28. dsh

dsh 10+ Year Member

Jun 10, 2005
    I may have read wrong earlier, but I believe the med student said that in past years up to 50% of the entering Geffen class came off of the waitlist. We do not know how large the waitlist is, so I don't think we should jump to the conclusion that half of the unranked list is typically accepted.

29. Psyche Estrelle

Jan 8, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    yes please enlighten us as to how you came out with this number :( :( if there's anything about UCLA not worth having, it's false hope :(

30. narc

narc 2+ Year Member

May 26, 2006
    I agree. Considering that many schools have reported a huge spike in applications this year I highly doubt there will be as much waitlist movement as there was in the past. But who knows. :confused:

31. sagemedecon

Aug 31, 2006
    A huge spike in applications doesn't necessarily mean more people applying, it could just mean people applied to more schools. Which I would think translates to more waitlist movement.

32. UCLAstudent

Sep 6, 2002
    CA
    Actually, this isn't right. What IS true is that 50% of the matriculating class has come from the waitlist in past years.

33. GoGoPandaBot

Apr 26, 2006
    imagine 600 apply, 1/3 each to accept, unrank wait, and reject/hold.

If 160 are in the class, or thereabouts, then 80 accepted an offer from the waitlist.

But...it would seem that even more would need to be offered, since some on the waitlist could drop it by may 15, and many more could drop if they come off another waitlist after may 15.

Of course, the initial split is the big unknown...not really sure what % get accepted/waited/dinged.

34. UCLAstudent

Sep 6, 2002
    CA
    But there aren't 160 in the class. There are 121. (24 are from Drew and 24 are from UCR, which have different application processes altogether.) Also, very few are outright rejected. Most are waitlisted. This increases the waitlist pool and makes it very unlikely that 50% of people from the waitlist will be accepted.

35. Silverfox

Silverfox 2+ Year Member

Jan 2, 2007
    add me to this awesome waitlist club. There is still hope.

36. GoGoPandaBot

Apr 26, 2006
    that changes things :)

37. Psyche Estrelle

Jan 8, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ok let's get a tally of SDNers who are officially going to accept their first-tier waitlist spot!

Current Total: 12
    Aerith
    Jr applicant
    narc?
    uclabruindoc
    ncbabyblue717
    sagemedecon?
    GoGoPandaBot
    doctor0125
    Tatowedges
    dsh?
    Steve203
    Silverfox

38. davee

davee New Member 2+ Year Member

Jun 29, 2006
    Add me to the list...

Current Total: 13
    Aerith
    Jr applicant
    narc?
    uclabruindoc
    ncbabyblue717
    sagemedecon?
    GoGoPandaBot
    doctor0125
    Tatowedges
    dsh?
    Steve203
    Silverfox
    Davee

39. BunnyMonkey

BunnyMonkey 2+ Year Member

Aug 29, 2006
    Add me to the list

40. dsh

dsh 10+ Year Member

Jun 10, 2005
    I read through the last three years' worth of waitlist threads earlier today (bored at work). I figured some of you might be interested.

2006: Movement started around 5/22, and proceeded in waves about every 10 days or so. The pace seemed to slow down by mid-June, but there were still students being accepted as late as 7/21.

2005: Earliest reported waitlist movement 6/2. Apparently much less movement this year, with fewer SDNers pulled off (6/2,6/3,6/9,7/1,7/19).

2004: Earliest was 5/20, then there was sporadic movement every 10 days or so starting mid-June. Movement as late as 7/29.

All movement appears to be off the unranked list, people on the hold list probably don't have the best chances.

I stopped reading after that point because it's obvious that there is such a huge variation from year to year that the threads don't have much predictive value. I'm just going to send in my waitlist acceptance/loi and not start worrying until June.

41. Psyche Estrelle

Jan 8, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Current Total: 14
    Aerith
    Jr applicant
    narc?
    uclabruindoc
    ncbabyblue717
    sagemedecon?
    GoGoPandaBot
    doctor0125
    Tatowedges
    dsh
    Steve203
    Silverfox
    Davee
    BunnyMonkey

42. FujiApple

FujiApple Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Current Total: 15
    Aerith
    Jr applicant
    narc?
    uclabruindoc
    ncbabyblue717
    sagemedecon?
    GoGoPandaBot
    doctor0125
    Tatowedges
    dsh
    Steve203
    Silverfox
    Davee
    BunnyMonkey
    FujiApple

43. sagemedecon

Aug 31, 2006
    Current Total: 15
    Aerith
    Jr applicant
    narc?
    uclabruindoc
    ncbabyblue717
    sagemedecon
    GoGoPandaBot
    doctor0125
    Tatowedges
    dsh
    Steve203
    Silverfox
    Davee
    BunnyMonkey
    FujiApple

44. nyc635

nyc635 New Member 2+ Year Member

May 10, 2006
    Yes, me too.

Current Total: 16
    Aerith
    Jr applicant
    narc?
    uclabruindoc
    ncbabyblue717
    sagemedecon
    GoGoPandaBot
    doctor0125
    Tatowedges
    dsh
    Steve203
    Silverfox
    Davee
    BunnyMonkey
    FujiApple
    nyc635

45. SkiUtah

SkiUtah New Member 5+ Year Member

Dec 5, 2005
    got my unranked waitlist letter monday in NY....

46. narc

narc 2+ Year Member

May 26, 2006
    Add me to the list. I am official today.

47. jester384

jester384 sweet 2+ Year Member

Jul 26, 2006
    California
    i'm on too

48. Psyche Estrelle

Jan 8, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Current Total: 18
    Aerith
    Jr applicant
    uclabruindoc
    ncbabyblue717
    sagemedecon
    GoGoPandaBot
    doctor0125
    Tatowedges
    dsh
    Steve203
    Silverfox
    Davee
    BunnyMonkey
    FujiApple
    nyc635
    SkiUtah
    narc
    jester384

49. Mortal_Lessons

Mortal_Lessons H.Perowne 10+ Year Member

Aug 15, 2006
    New England
    Anyone know when revisit weekend is? I haven't been updated of my status yet b/c I interviewed recently, but I'd imagine they would inform everyone of their status before they had their revisit weekend.

50. kelvin81

kelvin81 Member 5+ Year Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Revisit weekend is april 21st. Good luck :luck:

51. kbear12

kbear12 Wishin' and Hopin' 2+ Year Member

Oct 11, 2006
    I believe it's the weekend of April 21st. I interviewed about a month ago and haven't had a status change either. You'd think they'd try to inform us by their re-visit, but who knows. Some people on here seem to think their Feb. acceptance batch could be the only one going out. I don't know what that means for us....