UCLA unranked waitlist 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
add me to the list too. status changed 4/9, interviewed 2/16.
When I asked Deanna about the unranked waitlist she told me when those offered acceptances decline, they review ALL the applicants on the waitlist again. personally i dont know how they could re-review 100-200 WL applicants again without ranking them. they cant possibly review everyone again when a spot or two opens up then again when more opens up. anyone have more info regarding selection off the waitlist?

Members don't see this ad.

I just called the office. The very nice woman who answered the phone said that they aren't going to touch the waitlist until after May 20th and that they expect movement up until about a week before classes start. I asked her how large the wailist is and she said it will be "over a hundered." She also said that they are still interviewing and adding to the waitist. When I asked how many people they usually take off the waitlist she answered "quite a few." Not terribly specific information but I thought I would pass it along.

I just got my unranked waitlist letter.
Um, still not clear. Is there a RANKED waitlist?
This sucks actually. I've got a spot at UCSD but don't think I'll take it. Decided I can't move from LA. It'll be hard to turn down that acceptance in hopes that UCLA will show me some love :( So I'll be sticking around...

Members don't see this ad :)
I just called the office. The very nice woman who answered the phone said that they aren't going to touch the waitlist until after May 20th and that they expect movement up until about a week before classes start. I asked her how large the wailist is and she said it will be "over a hundered." She also said that they are still interviewing and adding to the waitist. When I asked how many people they usually take off the waitlist she answered "quite a few." Not terribly specific information but I thought I would pass it along.

You said they're interviewing and adding to the waitlist. Are they still accepting as well?

Mortal_Lessons I have no idea. I assume so but didn't ask her to clarify.

add me to the unranked list as well. I just got my letter today which made me pretty bumped. :(

I also called the admission office and they stated that they will start looking at the wait list at the end of May. My guess is unofficially they already have all of us ranked and based on that, some of us will get in and some dont.

By that do you mean you'll be foregoing med school in hopes of getting accepted off the waitlist, or that you'll be going to USC over SD because you like LA a lot? You can always withdraw from SD later if LA accepts you.

No I didn't even apply to SC. I thought we have to officially decide by May 15. So how would it work if I wanted to keep SD as an option? Tell SD yes and then if I get into UCLA say "just kidding!"? I didn't even think I had the option of keeping SD after 5/15 if I wasn't serious about going there at this point.

May 15th is just the date you can only hold one acceptance, but you can remain on as many waitlists if you want. i would NOT drop SD. Accept SD's offer and, yes, decline SD after May 15th if UCLA accepts you from the waitlist. this type of thing happens all the time!!

Throw me in the unranked waitlist pile... status change 4/9... good luck everyone

May 15th is the deadline to withdraw acceptances from all schools except for one. It is perfectly fine for you to accept UCSD and then withdraw later (they've got their own waitlist if you get into la!).

I just wanted to warn you that I believe schools can see if you have been accepted before when you apply, and apparently that can severely weaken you as a re-applicant. I don't know if you have a family situation or something compelling to keep you in LA, but you might want to think hard about your decision since UCSD is itself a great school.

This is purely ancedotal and based on the following thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=388433. Please double-check me as I'm really not sure how this works.

I totally agree. I went to UCSD for undergrad and I'm still here this year to work since I like SD so much. If you dont have any major obligations in LA...I highly advice you to take the chance. Besides...isn't UCSD one of the top medical schools?

I just got my unranked waitlist letter.
Um, still not clear. Is there a RANKED waitlist?
This sucks actually. I've got a spot at UCSD but don't think I'll take it. Decided I can't move from LA. It'll be hard to turn down that acceptance in hopes that UCLA will show me some love :( So I'll be sticking around...

Ok just like everyone else said (but just in case you missed it)...

DO NOT DROP SD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: (is that clear enough? lol)

KEEP YOUR UCSD ACCEPTANCE (i.e. tell them that you accept their offer) UNTIL YOU ARE HOLDING AN ACCEPTANCE LETTER FROM UCLA. There is NO guarantee you'll get into LA and if you drop your other acceptances that's it, you're not going to be a doctor (at least for this year) Don't let your dream of being a doctor slip away just because you "can't" move out of LA and live a 2.5 hour car drive/30 minute plane ride away. You don't want to reapply, do you?? (And it'll be even harder the second time around because you'll have to constantly have a helluva good explanation as to why you turned down your stellar acceptance the first time!!)

Keep at least one acceptance in your hand at all times, ok?? ONLY when you get accepted into UCLA would it be acceptable to withdraw from SD.

And yes, if you can't tell, you sufficiently scared the hell out of me. hehe

Edit: Ok I just read your other response and YES even after May 15 you can say "just kidding" to SD. The only thing May 15 means is that you can't be holding MULTIPLE ACCEPTANCES. People still drop their schools all throughout the summer, hell, there are people that will give up an acceptance because they got into a better school the night before classes started!!

May 15th is the deadline to withdraw acceptances from all schools except for one. It is perfectly fine for you to accept UCSD and then withdraw later (they've got their own waitlist if you get into la!).

I just wanted to warn you that I believe schools can see if you have been accepted before when you apply, and apparently that can severely weaken you as a re-applicant. I don't know if you have a family situation or something compelling to keep you in LA, but you might want to think hard about your decision since UCSD is itself a great school.

This is purely ancedotal and based on the following thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=388433. Please double-check me as I'm really not sure how this works.

Ok thanks for the info. And thanks for the link to the thread, although I don't think that would apply to me. Yes, it is a family situation. I'm basically the only one around to care for an elderly family member so, while UCSD is great and I would be very happy to attend, I have to be practical considering my obligations. I haven't definitely decided that the 2 1/2 hour car ride wouldn't work out, but I would probably be giving up a lot of my sanity if I did that given the demands of med school and the intensely emotionally draining situation I've got going in LA.

Aerith, thanks for your adamancy! No, I won't give up my spot at SD! :)
Thanks for your help, everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Aerith
Jr applicant
uclabruindoc
ncbabyblue717
sagemedecon
GoGoPandaBot
doctor0125
Tatowedges
dsh
Steve203
Silverfox
Davee
BunnyMonkey
FujiApple
nyc635
SkiUtah
narc
jester384
DrKATS2011
lil1gigglez:)

Add me to the waitlist:
Aerith
Jr applicant
uclabruindoc
ncbabyblue717
sagemedecon
GoGoPandaBot
doctor0125
Tatowedges
dsh
Steve203
Silverfox
Davee
BunnyMonkey
FujiApple
nyc635
SkiUtah
narc
jester384
DrKATS2011
lil1gigglez:)
Nil325

user_offline.gif

Aerith
Jr applicant
uclabruindoc
ncbabyblue717
sagemedecon
GoGoPandaBot
doctor0125
Tatowedges
dsh
Steve203
Silverfox
Davee
BunnyMonkey
FujiApple
nyc635
SkiUtah
narc
jester384
DrKATS2011
lil1gigglez
Nil325
kbear12

Aerith
Jr applicant
uclabruindoc
ncbabyblue717
sagemedecon
GoGoPandaBot
doctor0125
Tatowedges
dsh
Steve203
Silverfox
Davee
BunnyMonkey
FujiApple
nyc635
SkiUtah
narc
jester384
DrKATS2011
UVASam
lihtris
seasoned winner
Beckie1022
lil1gigglez
Nil325
kbear12

Aerith
Jr applicant
uclabruindoc
ncbabyblue717
sagemedecon
GoGoPandaBot
doctor0125
Tatowedges
dsh
Steve203
Silverfox
Davee
BunnyMonkey
FujiApple
nyc635
SkiUtah
narc
jester384
DrKATS2011
UVASam
lihtris
seasoned winner
Beckie1022
lil1gigglez
Nil325
kbear12
blantant

Aerith
Jr applicant
uclabruindoc
ncbabyblue717
sagemedecon
GoGoPandaBot
doctor0125
Tatowedges
dsh
Steve203
Silverfox
Davee
BunnyMonkey
FujiApple
nyc635
SkiUtah
narc
jester384
DrKATS2011
UVASam
lihtris
seasoned winner
Beckie1022
lil1gigglez
Nil325
kbear12
blantant
rosaverde

so...if we infer from the ratio of number of SDN acceptances to the number of people attending the second look, the unranked waitlist total is probably close to 150 and counting already.

:(

Aerith
Jr applicant
uclabruindoc
ncbabyblue717
sagemedecon
GoGoPandaBot
doctor0125
Tatowedges
dsh
Steve203
Silverfox
Davee
BunnyMonkey
FujiApple
nyc635
SkiUtah
narc
jester384
DrKATS2011
UVASam
lihtris
seasoned winner
Beckie1022
lil1gigglez
Nil325
kbear12
blantant
rosaverde
icecoldalpha06

just bumping. hopefully there will be some movement within the next month!

Roughly how many spots are expected to be open? Half the class, so about 60ish yeah?

yeah, it seems like people have said in the past up to 50% of the class came off the WL. that can probably fluctuate greatly year to year... but the waitlist should move some.

Almost May 15th....THANK GOD. Hopefully we can all move on with our lives. Good luck everyone.

U.C.L.A Fight Fight Fight! 100 National Championships!!!! Hopefully ill be around next year for 101.

it seems like most schools start notifying people on their waiting list today but of course, we gotta wait painfully until the beginning of June. Why UCLA Why?? I just want to know :eek: :scared:

from looking at other threads, it seems so far there are only 2 people that have declined from UCLA. I was hoping there would be more but i guess not.. .Sigh.. :(

from looking at other threads, it seems so far there are only 2 people that have declined from UCLA. I was hoping there would be more but i guess not.. .Sigh.. :(

that's 1 more than I was aware of, so I'm 100% happier at this point.

I think you have to remove the period at the end of the link. It worked for me when i did that!

Hey you guys,

Just wanted to let you know, that I am thinking good thoughts and hoping for the best for you!

Fingers and toes are crossed.:)

so last year's waitlist thread shows that the first acceptances were sent out on 5/22... some of us could be done with this waiting in a little over a week! sounds glorious, doesn't it?
good luck everyone!

Does anyone think that people off the WL will also get 5k scholarships, or would we just be lucky enough to get in? :)

i think we would just be lucky enough to get in!

thanks for the info rosaverde. Hopefully in a week, I can finally rest and let it go.

anyone do any research into whether or not sending-in updates truly helps?? i really wonder....

has anyone called them to see when the first batch of waitlistees get in?

Nope, haven't called yet. Any takers? ;)

Just compiling things other have mentioned that would be helpful for us to know: how many people are on the unranked WL (some have reported 100, but not sure if this is right), whether the class is full post-May15, when we might expect some movement, whether updates are helpful.

does anyone know how the admission office inform people that got accepted from the waiting list? phone or email? any idea????

GOOD LUCK everyone.. :luck: :love:

Actually I went to accepted students weekend at UCSF and there were a LOT of ppl contemplating between both schools (LA and SF) but leaning heavily towards SF... I am confident May 15 will free up a LOT of spots. Stay optimistic, everyone!! (I'm on unranked waitlist at UCLA by the way)

does anyone know how the admission office inform people that got accepted from the waiting list? phone or email? any idea????

GOOD LUCK everyone.. :luck: :love:

From last year's waitlist thread, it seems that people got letters. There seemed to be a change in the final decision date on the status page, but I'm not positive about that since I only inferred that from the old thread.

Actually I went to accepted students weekend at UCSF and there were a LOT of ppl contemplating between both schools (LA and SF) but leaning heavily towards SF... I am confident May 15 will free up a LOT of spots. Stay optimistic, everyone!! (I'm on unranked waitlist at UCLA by the way)

Have you decided on UCSF for sure? Seems like it from your signature line.

Have you decided on UCSF for sure? Seems like it from your signature line.

If I don't get into LA off the waitlist, the decision is made, without any doubt. If I do get into LA... I'm going to have a lot to think about, since LA has huge draws for me. I don't care about any other schools, and I don't think it's really worth getting my hopes up, so yes, for NOW I've decided on UCSF for sure :>

thanks y'all. I'm beginning to have a bit more hope.