UCSD IM Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dezokitty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm from a midwest program with an interest in learning more about UCSD as an internal med program. Unfortunately, none of the people I've spoken to have really been able to comment on UCSD, since we haven't really sent med students there for IM in the recent past. I have some family in California, so it has been an interest of mine to eventually move towards the west coast at some point, but I also want to make sure that the program is one that I would be happy as a resident at. As far as UCSD goes, I have no issues with the program's location/ranking/reputation/match list, so I'd be more interested in learning about how happy the residents are, amount of teaching, resident autonomy, etc. From doing some searching around on SDN, I gather that the program had a malignant reputation several years ago, but has since made changes to improve the program. It seems that the PD several years ago was well respected, although I'm not sure if the PD has changed since then? Some threads mentioned that most residents seemed happy there and quite smart, although often were working 80 hours/week with full caps. Is this still true? If anyone can comment on these issues, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

bump

We all know the location is A+
Can someone please comment on the program?

Members don't see this ad :)
UP

i hear they've had issues with work hour violations in the recent past....

Found my earlier thread. I thought I would update this, since no one else bothered too.

Strength of program is their ability to recruit great,diverse residents, friendly program director, and clinical training (ICU experience/autonomy/research opportunities). Procedures easy to find. ID, Pulm, and hem/onc are very strong. Cards is on the rise with new CV center being built. A+ location. Intern year is now cush with duty hour changes (not malignant at all). Great global health opportunities. Responsive to resident feedback.

Weakness of program. Originally the program is divided into university hospital in La Jolla, VA in La Jolla, and county-like hospital in Hillcrest, which were too much for only 26 residents/year. They had to pull out from inpatient rotations at the university hospital (now they do cardiology there only). They don't really have inpatient oncology rotation (consults only) and GI match is pretty weak there. I think they spend too much time in the VA. Seems like they rely on residents for clinical operations rather than hiring hospitalists to allow more learning opportunities.