UCSD waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreamman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
well i chose the second case, but I am not retaking the MCAT, even tho my score is the weakest part of my application, I can't afford to lose those months and apply later, so I just have 2 new research positions and am hoping that is enough to get them to change their minds. I mean I got interviewed with my current stats, so I figure I need to make my application stronger through more EC's, not my stats.

classydude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard that in a few weeks they are going to cut down the acceptable pool and reject people on it, but they still expected movement through June.

OpenBook

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard that in a few weeks they are going to cut down the acceptable pool and reject people on it, but they still expected movement through June.

Hey Classydude, where did you hear this? UCSD is my only hope right now of getting into medical school this time around, and golly gee I love that school. Who do you think it's best to send updates to, Dean Kelly, Mr. Zeglin, or the admissions commitee collectively?

:oops:

classydude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i heard it from someone in the admissions office...and i think you can send an update to any of those people because it all gets put in your file anyways. UCSD is my only chance left too, so im with you buddy!

ganesha123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
me 2...so let's see if none of us get in...can we start a support group...cuz i am so burned out...........

instigata

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OMG I just got a call from Dean Kelly!!!! I didn't expect that at all. You guys hang tight, if I got in YOU could get in!!

dreamman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
congrats instigata! and that leaves hope for many out there, I decided to be realistic and have already began work on my application for next year

instigata

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
congrats instigata! and that leaves hope for many out there, I decided to be realistic and have already began work on my application for next year

Thanks Dreamman, I really hope you guys hear back soon :)

barcelona-bound

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
INSTIGATA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! omg, i'm crying i'm so happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you rock soooo much!!!!!! you give me hope!!!!!!!!!!!!! you have been a beacon of light for all the august mcaters....OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! now i can't breath! :laugh:

much congrats again! HUGS HUGS HUGS all around!!!!

teammonkeys123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
wait when i called, they told me that they just rank you, but they dont actually REJECT you off the acceptable pool... this happens sometime in june...

they told you that they reject people?!

i heard it from someone in the admissions office...and i think you can send an update to any of those people because it all gets put in your file anyways. UCSD is my only chance left too, so im with you buddy!

classydude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
what I am led to believe is that this year they are going to trim the acceptable pool (so just a fancy way of saying reject people) and then I guess they will rank.

Members don't see this ad :)

teammonkeys123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I totally believe you. it's just that i'm a little angry that when I SPECIFICALLY ASKED if they will reject people, they said NO! I mean, it's not like I can do anything about this anyway, i'm just pouting because i'm thinking what else have i been misled on?

what I am led to believe is that this year they are going to trim the acceptable pool (so just a fancy way of saying reject people) and then I guess they will rank.

sagemedecon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys hold tight the list is moving!!!!! I got the call today too! Oh my gosh so incredibly excited I can't contain myself.

barcelona-bound

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys hold tight the list is moving!!!!! I got the call today too! Oh my gosh so incredibly excited I can't contain myself.

yay!!!! double congrats!!!!!!!!!!!

let's keep our heads up and keep the list moving!!!!!!!

instigata

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the congrats guys! I'm really really pulling for everybody on this thread, hopefully we could see each other in the fall. And congrats to you sagemedecon.

BB I'm pulling for you. Give me the good news when you hear it. And what's this?? A Rochester acceptance?? How did this sneak passed me? CONGRATS!!

dreamman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
any word for anyone out there? For me, the real question I should be asking is, when they trim the acceptable pool down are they going to send that rejection by regular mail or e-mail?

teammonkeys123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
nope.

i hope it's via email that way the pain is short and quick. :(

iceman77_7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was looking at the UCSD SOM webpage and saw that they updated the prospective student page bump.

Does the adcom still meet on Mondays, meaning that phone calls will happen tomorrow (Tuesday)?

barcelona-bound

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the congrats guys! I'm really really pulling for everybody on this thread, hopefully we could see each other in the fall. And congrats to you sagemedecon.

BB I'm pulling for you. Give me the good news when you hear it. And what's this?? A Rochester acceptance?? How did this sneak passed me? CONGRATS!!

i hope you are still partying instigata!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::hardy::hardy::hardy:

yeah, i'm really excited about rochester.....and i feel fortunate for getting off the UR waitlist FINALLY....had a wonderful time during my visit....but san diego is where my boyfriend and friends are......i'm heading down there this weekend for a wedding....getting into ucsd will mean the world; but not getting in won't mean the end of the world :thumbup:

here's to not having to reapply a third time!!!!!

to the acceptable pool: may we all hear good news soon! best of luck!!!!

teammonkeys123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good Luck Guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From the website:

In early June, we will typically contact all applicants in our "Acceptable Pool" and ask if they are still interested in admission to UCSD.

I wonder when they will ask! EEK!!!

dreamman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so any word for anyone?? or have they forgotten about us :(

barcelona-bound

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looks like they've forgotten about us. :-(

i had a nice talk with brian zeglen yesterday.

dr. kelly is ultimately making final decisions for who gets out of the acceptable pool.

there are about 220 people in the pool now. brian anticipates 15 to 20 more peole will be taken out of the pool.....last year 5 spots opened between july 1 and the start of school....

brian is hoping they cut the acceptable pool in a couple weeks....

best wishes my friends

iceman77_7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
you must mean dr. kelly

A quick Google search shows that Dr. Hansen teaches some of the 1st and 2nd year classes so maybe he's also chair of the admissions committee, or at least someone important on it?

teammonkeys123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
haha i also googled hansen and came up with a few names! I was like, how did i NEVER hear of this person before and now he/she is making the ultimate decision on my app!

YES, i mean dr. kelly!!!!!!!!

dr. hansen is Rochester.......so sorry.....

how embarrassing! :laugh:

nice job with the google search!

Fischerman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Im in the pool too...just thought Id drop in and say hello. OK, best of luck to everyone in the pool.

iceman77_7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
YES, i mean dr. kelly!!!!!!!!

dr. hansen is Rochester.......so sorry.....

how embarrassing! :laugh:

nice job with the google search!

What a coincidence that a Dr. Hansen would be so involved in med school education at UCSD too. I guess it's a common enough name.

erudite

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey every one,
I got a call from Dr. Kelly today. I will be going to UCSD this Aug. I am soooooo excited. I was on the waitlist for 6 months. God is so good. There is still hope don't give up faith. Lots of my friends still got in late June last year. Good luck...Keep the faith GO Padres...Go Tritons....Go Chargers...

Fischerman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Kinda reminds me of the movie "Toy Story" where the little alien toys are waiting to be plucked from the toy bin from the mechanical hand. "You have been choosen..." Anyways a big congrats to erudite..that rocks!! Id be incredibly excited.

sagemedecon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey every one,
I got a call from Dr. Kelly today. I will be going to UCSD this Aug. I am soooooo excited. I was on the waitlist for 6 months. God is so good. There is still hope don't give up faith. Lots of my friends still got in late June last year. Good luck...Keep the faith GO Padres...Go Tritons....Go Chargers...

Well done erudite!!!!! Congratulations - see you in a few months!!!!!

barcelona-bound

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
adding my congrats to erudite! now go enjoy your summer!!!!!!!

everyone: good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :luck::luck::luck::luck:

ganesha123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
i agree with fischerman...the toy bin waiting to be plucked.......i find it hard to believe that with brian saying only 15-20 more...( including however many got accepted today) that there may be only a handful of spots left.....coral said she knew tons of people in august...but seeing how only 5 were taken after july 1st...i don't know what to believe anymore.........

dreamman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
personally I just want to make the first cut in the acceptable pool, and then I can figure out where to go from there...baby steps

barcelona-bound

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
personally I just want to make the first cut in the acceptable pool, and then I can figure out where to go from there...baby steps

to make the first cut, make sure you reply to the e-mail sent out this morning! :D

it is nice to know they haven't forgotten about us :)

and, looks like brian was on the ball.....dr. kelly's e-mail says 10-20 spots :scared:

wish you all the best!!!!!!! enjoy your weekend!!!!!!

classydude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, well i just responded to the email and spoke with Brian. He said that based on how many people respond, they will decide whether they will trim the pool down themselves some more. Seeing how already about 80 people have responded saying they wish to remain on the list, I think that roughly 200 will do the same by monday and they will be forced to trim it down to prob about 100 themselves.

He did say one spot opened up today, so i guess one lucky person will get the good news later on, so congrats to whomever that is and best of luck to the rest of us!

Fischerman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah also had a good talk with the office a few days ago. Seems like about every week, approx. 2 spots open up. I guess it will be like this up till around mid July. Make sure to send that email in! Congrats to everyone whos in and good luck to the rest of us.

Bolo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seems like hardly any spots are opening this year. I heard that last year, like 60-70% of the class had been on the waitlist.

sona1128

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it will help much but I withdrew, so hopefully others will too and those of you who really really want to go to UCSD (and are willing to wait this longer and possibly longer) get in! Good luck!

Fischerman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your post and encouraging words Sonya1128. Best of luck with your medical career!

Fischerman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im sorry, I meant to type sona1128. Anyways, all the best!

dreamman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wonder how many people have responded to the email by now and how large the acceptable pool is, Im willing to bet its easily over 150 of us. And I guess the person that got that open spot was not a SDNer.