UCSF Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi Friends

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL.
I am still holding on the alternate list hoping to get in.
Anybody who is a permanant resident or US citizen I needed some advice on FAFSA.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, Happy New Year to all, my future classmates at UCSF.
After we send ou the deposit to school, now what? Does anybody know?

Verizon is very reliable; cingular works for many, many others have t-mobile and other companies. ...

aaram said:
Can u please give me information about the network service for mobile which has best reception ?which one shud I choose, cingular,verizon or sprint or anything other than these??

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anybody received any confirmation that UCSF has received the acceptance card and $1K deposit?

nidhi2424 said:
Has anybody received any confirmation that UCSF has received the acceptance card and $1K deposit?
U can call the office and check if they have received ur deposit or not for ur own confirmation.

Hi, has anybody heard back from the school yet?
What we should do next?

tigertooth said:
Hi, has anybody heard back from the school yet?
What we should do next?
wait for them to send the reciept.my guess is that will be after 13th

Thanks for the info.

aaram said:
wait for them to send the reciept.my guess is that will be after 13th

I got my receipt of $1000 in mail today. Looks like it was posted yesterday. There is no other information.

nidhi2424 said:
I got my receipt of $1000 in mail today. Looks like it was posted yesterday. There is no other information.
thanks nidhi for the information

Hai Friends,
Can you guide me to prepare for the practicals at UCSF. Being in an apartment how do u recommend me to practice for the practicals with out disturbing others. Can you Tell me what equipments and instruments to get to practice? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

UCSF does not exactly score honors in organization. There are some bad apples in the basket like some indifferent dispensary staff. About the disorganization in conducting exams, it is true that there is room for improvement. HOWEVER, looking at the BIGGER PICTURE I would say this:

Since it is a state school, we do have some 'not-so-competent' staff. However, The clinical experience over the 2 years is very satisfying. Especially, in the second year at Buchanan, the way we are treated would make any DDS student in the country envious of us. We IDPs work in an erst-while AEGD dental hospital/clinic; pt scheduling is taken care of, and assistants are available for the required procedures.

The new curriculum (theroy) is 1 yr old there are bugs/gaps to be fixed. But the course has been very RESPONSIVE and has made rectifications in a fair-to-the students approach. I can understand dent15's perspective - when preparing for exams in a busy schedule, it can get frustating when admin makes mistakes. Inspite of these, our (theory) curriculum experience is better than most other IDP programs schools. Pass-no Pass system takes pressure off and lets you focus on learning rather than ONLY grades. The faculty is awesome and we learn a lot. Integrated dentistry approach gives a better perspective esp as international dentists we already know the details in individual subjects.

I am in touch with friends in UOP, USC and UCLA, Boston, NYU. In my opinion UCSF program, over the 2 years is less stressful than these programs.
Overall, UCSF positives are:
Clinical exp (Buchanan dental clinic in 2nd yr), Reputed, helps in getting into specialty, emphasis on research (evidence based approach), Flexible to students needs (independent study option in the schedule), Pass-no-pass, intergrated dentistry approach, fair treatment (no discrimination), very vibrant campus, outstanding learning environment, numerous opportunities to learn,

On the down side:
state school - some not-so-competent staff, things move/change slowly; research emphasis might not be always appreciated by IDPs.

Hope this helps you guys to put things in perspective.
Dileep Danivas

dent15 said:
hi kittykat,
i hope u will take everything in healthy manner. first, aaru addressed me by wriitng "grumpy", so i dont feel its being polite. i might be wrong, but reading his/her post i never felt tht he/she was looking for any info abt the school.
dispensary staff is not teaching nobody nothing, and if u have friends here in school u can surely ask them or visit on school intranet, (webct, ((u need any students user id)) ), where u can read thousands of posts regarding this topic.its not just with international students but regular dds students can also explain about it.
students from all the school gets in post grad program every yr , there is nothing tht says ucsf students gets in more.
and when i said "following the herd" it wasnt only for ucsf , it meant tht just dont do wht others r doing;; go over ur priorities and decide.
i think , in place like sdn if someone wants to participate, he/she shd have wider view about things and abt wht other people r wriitng. i am not using sdn to vent out my frustations but just to make some meaningful contribution rather than just repeating that my school and program r best.
i am waiting for dileep to say somthing abt disorganization in school or program.
i never meant to offend anybody.peace!!

Does anybody know which of the staford loan lender is the best?
Thanks in advance :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
In case anyone was wondering as me: The incoming IDP class beginning date is June 19, 2006. I got the information from an email of Mr. Petri. :luck:

Thanks a lot for your information! Do you know when we have to send the financial aid package back?
Thanks again!

Hi All,

Congratulations and welcome to UCSF.
I am an IDP-3 and please feel free to ask any questions that you may have.

Regards,

Ramya

Ramya said:
Hi All,

Congratulations and welcome to UCSF.
I am an IDP-3 and please feel free to ask any questions that you may have.

Regards,

Ramya

Hi,

I have been accepted at UCSF for the IDP program.I have a few doubts which Im hoping u wud b able to clear.

Firstly,I am wondering which lender is the best for the federal stafford loans.

The other thing is abt housing-Do u think on campus housing is preferable?
If so which one do u think wud b ideal-aldea or sunset district?

I wud b grateful for ur help.
ckvk

Hi,

I am on private loans...I am not aware of federal loans.Anyways, will ask some of my class-mates who are on federal loans and mail you back.

Regarding housing, you have two options.....On-campus and off-campus.
Before looking for housing, you have to think of your priorities and preferences.....for eg., how close is it too the uni., what's the cost, if not close how will I commute, if I choose to drive what will be the parking cost etc etc

Some of my friends stay in Aldea. The cost is reasonable and the facilities are good. There are free uni. shuttles running every 15 min. on weekdays and hence commuting is not a problem.

Some of my friends stay off-campus. In my experience, there is not much of a difference in the price. As you go farther from the uni., it's cheaper. I stay very close to the dental school and it works good for me.

If you prefer to drive, I have heard that the parking fee is $200 permonth.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck,
Ramya

ckvk said:
Hi,

I have been accepted at UCSF for the IDP program.I have a few doubts which Im hoping u wud b able to clear.

Firstly,I am wondering which lender is the best for the federal stafford loans.

The other thing is abt housing-Do u think on campus housing is preferable?
If so which one do u think wud b ideal-aldea or sunset district?

I wud b grateful for ur help.
ckvk

Hey Guys,

I am getting a lot of private messages on housing. I think, this is a universal question everyone is facing ....Right? Thought will post some more info. here so that everybody is informed of the housing options available .

1. On-campus housing - Visit on-campus housing website. Submit an application online. Call them up personally andtalk to them.

2. Also search for off-campus housing options.

a. Online search - Go to http://criaglist.com/
Search for a house which suits your requirements. Call them up and ask for availability and their conditions.

b.Come here 1-2 weeks before..go around the place to look for any ad. on 'apt. for rent'.Most landlords don't advertise and this is the best way to find an apartment near the school. This is how I found mine.

c. UCSF housing department also has a list of Off-campus housing options. Ask for it and check them out.

Hope this info. helps.

Good luck,

Ramya

Ramya said:
Hey Guys,

I am getting a lot of private messages on housing. I think, this is a universal question everyone is facing ....Right? Thought will post some more info. here so that everybody is informed of the housing options available .

1. On-campus housing - Visit on-campus housing website. Submit an application online. Call them up personally andtalk to them.

2. Also search for off-campus housing options.

a. Online search - Go to http://criaglist.com/
Search for a house which suits your requirements. Call them up and ask for availability and their conditions.

b.Come here 1-2 weeks before..go around the place to look for any ad. on 'apt. for rent'.Most landlords don't advertise and this is the best way to find an apartment near the school. This is how I found mine.

c. UCSF housing department also has a list of Off-campus housing options. Ask for it and check them out.

Hope this info. helps.

Good luck,

Ramya

Thanks a lot Dr. Ramya, Dr Dileep Danivas and Dr. Ann,

We really appreciate for your help and your time. You guys r really helping us. I think we r lucky to get so helpful seniors.

Hi, Ramya:

Thank you so much for your information. It is very helpful. Is the housing "Aldea" you mentioned located in mission bay? Also, do you remember how long before the program starting we can get all the paper work done (including the loan, registration ect.)? Because I am planning a trip overseas, but I want to make sure I get the things done before I leave.
Another thing I would like to know is: do we have the requirements to finish up before graduating? Something like centain number of crowns, bridges.....
Thanks you very much for your advice.

Ramya said:
Hi,

I am on private loans...I am not aware of federal loans.Anyways, will ask some of my class-mates who are on federal loans and mail you back.

Before looking for housing, you have to think of your priorities and preferences.....for eg., how close is it too the uni., what's the cost, if not close how will I commute, if I choose to drive what will be the parking cost etc etc

Some of my friends stay in Aldea. The cost is reasonable and the facilities are good. There are free uni. shuttles running every 15 min. on weekdays and hence commuting is not a problem.

Some of my friends stay off-campus. In my experience, there is not much of a difference in the price. As you go farther from the uni., it's cheaper. I stay very close to the dental school and it works good for me.

Good luck,
Ramya

Aldea is different from mission bay campus. I have heard mission bay campus is more sophisticated and expensive too. Since, I never looked for on-campus housing, all the information I have is what I have heard from my friends.
If I remember properly, I finished applying for loan 2 mos. before I entered the program. The best way to track the info. is to contact Susan Halim in UCSf international center and also student financial services. You can get their number in UCSF website. Either e-mail or call them up and they are pretty helpful and informative.
Yes, you have certain requirements that you need to complete before graduation. Don't worry about it now. Once you come here, you will be given the syllabus which has all information.

Ramya

tigertooth said:
Hi, Ramya:

Thank you so much for your information. It is very helpful. Is the housing "Aldea" you mentioned located in mission bay? Also, do you remember how long before the program starting we can get all the paper work done (including the loan, registration ect.)? Because I am planning a trip overseas, but I want to make sure I get the things done before I leave.
Another thing I would like to know is: do we have the requirements to finish up before graduating? Something like centain number of crowns, bridges.....
Thanks you very much for your advice.

Thank you so much! Ramya.

Ramya said:
Aldea is different from mission bay campus. I have heard mission bay campus is more sophisticated and expensive too. Since, I never looked for on-campus housing, all the information I have is what I have heard from my friends.
If I remember properly, I finished applying for loan 2 mos. before I entered the program. The best way to track the info. is to contact Susan Halim in UCSf international center and also student financial services. You can get their number in UCSF website. Either e-mail or call them up and they are pretty helpful and informative.
Yes, you have certain requirements that you need to complete before graduation. Don't worry about it now. Once you come here, you will be given the syllabus which has all information.

Ramya

Hi Friends,

Finally I too have been admitted to the Class of 2008.
I am so happy. I have been waiting for this.
I am looking for a female partner to share accomodation with me. I am at present in India but will be back end of this month.
Just in case |I dont find anybody to share can anybody advice me on a studio accomodation arround the campus please.
Thanks.

my heartiest congratulations to u,idudette!u finally made it!i'm happy for u!take care and all the best for a very bright future ahead! :thumbup:
idudette said:
Hi Friends,

I am looking for a female partner to share accomodation with me. I am at present in India but will be back end of this month.
Just in case |I dont find anybody to share can anybody advice me on a studio accomodation arround the campus please.
Thanks.

idudette said:
Hi Friends,

Thanks.

Congratulations

hey iduedette ,
iam sorry.Presumed that ur from India.So where r u from??

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

idudette said:
Hi Friends,

Thanks.

Congrats idudette.

Hi Ramya:
Thanks a lot for your information! We all appreciate it. Can you please ask someone in your class that applied for stafford loans last year which stafford loan lender is the best?
Thanks in advance,

Ramya said:
Hi,

Good luck,
Ramya

first of all,receive heartiest congrats to all of u who have entered UCSF....i,too,am planning to enter into this uni,can anyone pls guide me the criteria for getting into it and what r the specifics they require such as GRE,TOEFL and everything....itll be more than appreciated if anyone can specifically guide me about getting into MS programme,quick reply will be much more appreciated....best of luck

taby said:
first of all,receive heartiest congrats to all of u who have entered UCSF....i,too,am planning to enter into this uni,can anyone pls guide me the criteria for getting into it and what r the specifics they require such as GRE,TOEFL and everything....itll be more than appreciated if anyone can specifically guide me about getting into MS programme,quick reply will be much more appreciated....best of luck

Hi taby,

Answer to your queries and curiosities about admission procedure in UCSF or for that matter any US dental school can be found in this forum. There are several threads posted over years. Please find them through search mode. This is a thread for UCSF acceptance and your queries may go astray.

The first source of information regarding education and licensing in USA should be from ADA website, and not word of mouths. Hence I request you go through the following link for a comprehensive first-hand guidance:

http://www.ada.org/prof/prac/licensure/us.pdf

Good luck with your career.

rahmed

Thanks dentisthoney, rahmed and all.
sorry for the late reply. Iam having a ball in Mumbai at the moment. Enjoying throuroughly before I get back to school

Hi,

Can anyone tell me, when we can apply for the private loan. In April or in May. When you guys are planning to move to SF. Any news from housing people. I am looking for a roommate, if anyone interested in sharing the room, let me know.

thanx

DENTISTHONEY said:
Hi,

Can anyone tell me, when we can apply for the private loan. In April or in May. When you guys are planning to move to SF. Any news from housing people. I am looking for a roommate, if anyone interested in sharing the room, let me know.

thanx
hi dentisthoney
i called ucsf finacial aid , just 2-3 days back & they told me that private lenders have not given them loan terms for 2006-2007 session. most probably it would be ready by mid of april . as soon as they get this information we would be able to apply.
hope this help
thanks
sushila

sUSHILA said:
hi dentisthoney
i called ucsf finacial aid , just 2-3 days back & they told me that private lenders have not given them loan terms for 2006-2007 session. most probably it would be ready by mid of april . as soon as they get this information we would be able to apply.
hope this help
thanks
sushila

Hi Sushila,

thanx for your information.

About Mission Bay housing, I've heard that there are shuttle services and takes to get to the school like 30 minutes.
Anyway, I think current students from UCSF could give us a hand in all this process. :thumbup:

cubabella said:
About Mission Bay housing, I've heard that there are shuttle services and takes to get to the school like 30 minutes.
Anyway, I think current students from UCSF could give us a hand in all this process. :thumbup:

Hi everyone,

I am doing lot of surfing at craiglist and got this information so far, after talking with local people on phone.

UCSF Dental School Location is 513 Parnassus Avenue, CA-94143.

If we get a room b/w 2nd avenue and upto 25 th avenue, it would count as near to school.

I am posting here a link for the vey detailed map of San Francisco, you can zoom in for a particular area.

http://www.sfvisitor.org/maps/

Everyone knows that we can look at craigelist, besides that we can look at the bulletin board in Medical School building. It is a 14 story building, and whatever information I got according to that every floor has a bulletin board and pamphlets regarding the availability of rooms and appartments near to our school. I think this building is just next to UCSF Parking Building.

About Mission Bay , I heard its far from School.

There is a local Newspaper San Francisco Chronicle, you can check online, thats also has rental section.

I am going to San Francisco this weekend. I will post my experience by next week.

Good Luck

Great post Dentist !
Wow, you guys are pretty close to the Pacific ... looks like we're going to be competing not only for patients but apartments too ! :p Better watch out ! :D

I also want to take this opportunity to congratulate all fellow San Fransescians (ok, I just made that word up) on JOINING UCSF !
Excellent school, Excellent location ! Can't beat that !
Good Luck !

NileBDS said:
Great post Dentist !
Wow, you guys are pretty close to the Pacific ... looks like we're going to be competing not only for patients but apartments too ! :p Better watch out ! :D

I also want to take this opportunity to congratulate all fellow San Fransescians (ok, I just made that word up) on JOINING UCSF !
Excellent school, Excellent location ! Can't beat that !
Good Luck !

Thanks NileBDS,

wish u the same. UOP is also a wonderful school. I am sure u will enjoy.....UOP

Take care

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL FRIENDS WHO MADE IT TO UCSF CLASS OF 2008.
Way to go guys :thumbup:
Good luck and God bless

Thanks dentistjas!
Hope you get into any program too. Good luck and God bless you too. ;)

dentistjas said:
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL FRIENDS WHO MADE IT TO UCSF CLASS OF 2008.
Way to go guys :thumbup:
Good luck and God bless

DENTISTHONEY said:
Hi everyone,

I am doing lot of surfing at craiglist and got this information so far, after talking with local people on phone.

UCSF Dental School Location is 513 Parnassus Avenue, CA-94143.

If we get a room b/w 2nd avenue and upto 25 th avenue, it would count as near to school.

I am posting here a link for the vey detailed map of San Francisco, you can zoom in for a particular area.

http://www.sfvisitor.org/maps/

Everyone knows that we can look at craigelist, besides that we can look at the bulletin board in Medical School building. It is a 14 story building, and whatever information I got according to that every floor has a bulletin board and pamphlets regarding the availability of rooms and appartments near to our school. I think this building is just next to UCSF Parking Building.

About Mission Bay , I heard its far from School.

There is a local Newspaper San Francisco Chronicle, you can check online, thats also has rental section.

I am going to San Francisco this weekend. I will post my experience by next week.

Good Luck

Hi to all,

I went to San Francisco, and found UCSF University housing rooms are really nice. These rooms are very close to the school.

Here is the address of one very nice large, furnished room in a house, where other 3-4 students share the kitchen and bathroom.If u guys r planning to stay off-campus, check this room. The room is really big, and the locality is also nice. Rent of the room is 900$. The address of the room is 1257 STANYAN STREET. The name of landlord is Dr. William Thomas and his phone no. is 415-566-2621. I really like this room, but its 8-10 minutes by walk from School. Lease is also flexible.

One other room which is for only girls is at 10th Avenue, B/w Kirkham and Judah. Name of landlord is MARY. over here u have to sign a lease for one year. Rent is 800. The room is nice. adrs of the room is 1467, 10 th Avenue.
Phone no.-415-665-4567. cell phone-415-577-9180.

Personally, I feel University Housing rooms are convenient in all aspects.

good luck.

jasjitminhas said:
EDITED PER USER REQUEST
The interview session at UCSF was for 5 days last year. During the interview we had first clinical exam, then Practcal exam and at last we had personal interview.

Clincal Exam,

I havent appeared for part 2 yet, so dont know hows part 2. But the clinical exam at UCSF was all about clinical questions and few from basic sciences. I would say they covered all the subjects whatever they mentioned in the interview letter. In the invitation letter they will mention what all the subjects they are going to ask u.

Practical exam,

When they will invite you for interview, they will inform you what all excercises they are gonna to ask u during the test. You have to do crown preprations on TYPHODONT teeth [ Columbia Typhodont teeth]. They provide u enough days for Prepration. Just few days before the actual test, they let all the applicants to come and do practice at their lab and on the same mannequins, on which u have to work on the day of test.

Personal Interview

They want to know more about you besides clinical experience.

They welcomed all the applicants very nicely. Their selection process is very fair. When they call u for interview, they will inform u about everything. I mean what all the Preprations, u have to prepare for the practicals. They will tell u what all the subjects they r going to test on the day of clinical exam.

If you have any questions about IDP admissions, you can contact Barbara Richardson or Petri Gordon. They are very helpful.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, DENTISTHONEY:
Have you checked the mission bay housing? Is there far from the school. I got a studio there, but not sure if it is a better choice than living close by the school? Thanks.
DENTISTHONEY said:
Hi to all,

I went to San Francisco, and found UCSF University housing rooms are really nice. These rooms are very close to the school.

Here is the address of one very nice large, furnished room in a house, where other 3-4 students share the kitchen and bathroom.If u guys r planning to stay off-campus, check this room. The room is really big, and the locality is also nice. Rent of the room is 900$. The address of the room is 1257 STANYAN STREET. The name of landlord is Dr. William Thomas and his phone no. is 415-566-2621. I really like this room, but its 8-10 minutes by walk from School. Lease is also flexible.

One other room which is for only girls is at 10th Avenue, B/w Kirkham and Judah. Name of landlord is MARY. over here u have to sign a lease for one year. Rent is 800. The room is nice. adrs of the room is 1467, 10 th Avenue.
Phone no.-415-665-4567. cell phone-415-577-9180.

Personally, I feel University Housing rooms are convenient in all aspects.

good luck.

tigertooth said:
Hi, DENTISTHONEY:
Have you checked the mission bay housing? Is there far from the school. I got a studio there, but not sure if it is a better choice than living close by the school? Thanks.

Hi tigertooth,

Yes, I took the shuttle from our school and went to see Mission Bay. That housing rooms are newly build. No comparison with that rooms with any other room in San Francisco. They have nice Bus service, which will help u to commute from School to Mission Bay. But the only Problem is it takes minimum 25 minutes to travel one side. Everyone has his/her own priorities. I would suggest u before making any decision, please go to San Francisco and check personally. If u want to live nicely, no comparison with Mission Bay, Rooms are new and in superb condition, but u have to spend 1 hr. everyday for commuting.

I hope I answered your question.
good luck

Hi, DENTISTHONEY, Thanks.

DENTISTHONEY said:
Hi tigertooth,

Yes, I took the shuttle from our school and went to see Mission Bay. That housing rooms are newly build. No comparison with that rooms with any other room in San Francisco. They have nice Bus service, which will help u to commute from School to Mission Bay. But the only Problem is it takes minimum 25 minutes to travel one side. Everyone has his/her own priorities. I would suggest u before making any decision, please go to San Francisco and check personally. If u want to live nicely, no comparison with Mission Bay, Rooms are new and in superb condition, but u have to spend 1 hr. everyday for commuting.

I hope I answered your question.
good luck

tigertooth said:
Hi, DENTISTHONEY, Thanks.

Who ever got acepted in ucsf please post your scores and work experiances
This is going to help full to other people who is intrested to join for next year.

I'd like to welcome you all at UCSF and congratulate you .

might be quite late in my posting but for the hec of it and if this info is of any use to anyone :-

To all of you who are qualified for a stafford federal loan :-

any lender is ok at this time point, since the general terms are quite similar and the interest is the same . differances are subtle ...maybe the repayment period or so . i've used bank of america . the differances with private loans are more considerable since interest rates differ. next year all stafford loans will have an interest of around 6.625-6.75 % however for the additional loans recheck for something called graduate plus loan which is a new federal loan which will garantee you a fixed rate of 8.5% nearly for additional loans you may need on top of the stafford . ask the financial aid department about it . other than that if you haven't applied for a loan yet it is about time you do so .

good luck and best Regards
MTJ

Hi ,

Can the accepted students(UCSF) tell me by when do they send out the invitation for interview and when are the interviews held generally.

Thank you,

goodluck
sdent

sdent said:
Hi ,

Can the accepted students(UCSF) tell me by when do they send out the invitation for interview and when are the interviews held generally.

Thank you,

goodluck
sdent

Hi,

what I remember, they send invitation for interviews in beginning of October and the interview was held during NOV. 13-17, 2005. I am sorry if this information is not accurate.

good luck