Ucsf im

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

im4ever

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello:

Can someone (current resident preferably) shed some light on the program including current calls, schedule, interaction between residents, overall reputation, fellowship match? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I guess no current residents will bite on this so I can give you my quick two cents. I finished the program two years ago and worked for a year as a hospitalist and then moved on to cardiology fellowship. I don't know how the new call schedule has changed the program. Historically we did overnight call as teams with a range of q3-q6. The level of autonomy as an intern and especially as a resident was very high. There were pretty high expectations from day one but I found it to be a supportive environment.

As to reputation I guess others can better answer this question. In academic medicine it is a highly thought of program. To the lay public "Harvard" or JHU will have better name recognition.

Interaction between residents I thought was great. Within the program it was incredibly supportive and fun. Interservice interactions were normally pretty good. The only time that I saw some poor interactions were really between the emergency room and the admitting teams. I doubt this is unique to UCSF.

Fellowship match is a bit different than other top programs in that there a high percentage of people that go into primary care or hospital medicine. Additionally those that pursue fellowships in IM have a broader range of interest so that in my year there were only a couple of us going into cardiology unlike many programs (BWH comes to mind) where it's almost half the class some years. Also there is good support getting you were you want to go. All of my friends got their first choice for fellowship.

all in all it's a great program. I am really happy that I went there. it really is a special place and you will come out well trained and able to do pretty much whatever you like at whatever program you want to go to if specialty match is your plan.

Hello:

Can someone (current resident preferably) shed some light on the program including current calls, schedule, interaction between residents, overall reputation, fellowship match? Thanks!

If you want numbers, check out the website.

In reality, the feel of the program goes like this:
"Our residents are really smart, and meticulous. That means that attendings can be comfortable letting the resident be in charge of the patients. So, lets spend time on 5 patients of our 20 that have something meaningful to learn from, then, the rest of the day can be spent with the interns doing their work, and the attending either rounding witht he resident or by myself, just to make sure."

Autonomy high, Residents ******ed smart, workload exhausting, but learning immensely fruitful. Its hard, get that straight, and some people can't cut it. It has as much, if not more respect, than the Hopkins Harvard league programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want numbers, check out the website.

In reality, the feel of the program goes like this:
"Our residents are really smart, and meticulous. That means that attendings can be comfortable letting the resident be in charge of the patients. So, lets spend time on 5 patients of our 20 that have something meaningful to learn from, then, the rest of the day can be spent with the interns doing their work, and the attending either rounding witht he resident or by myself, just to make sure."

Autonomy high, Residents ******ed smart, workload exhausting, but learning immensely fruitful. Its hard, get that straight, and some people can't cut it. It has as much, if not more respect, than the Hopkins Harvard league programs.

What happens to the residents who "can't cut it"?

Are we talking peaceful euthanasia or drag you kicking and screaming into the basement and chop you into little nuggets?

Pretty sure it's the latter.

Are we talking peaceful euthanasia or drag you kicking and screaming into the basement and chop you into little nuggets?

They are a green program and recycle those nuggets to feed the following years' applicants at the dinners. Most academic programs are very responsible like that so don't go there just because of their dedication to saving the earth. You will be able to find many other programs that eat their residents so don't feel like you must limit yourself to the high cost of living in northern CA.

What happens to the residents who "can't cut it"?

just try applying and you'll see. Even if they get the slightest whiff off you not having the application to "cut it", they'll toss your app w/o a second look. and its insane how smart/geeky/nerdy the residents are. I remember one intern presented his overnight admissions as haikus and a faculty member had to stop a sub-i who was spouting off a differential for a two minutes straight.

Last edited:
They are a green program and recycle those nuggets to feed the following years' applicants at the dinners. Most academic programs are very responsible like that so don't go there just because of their dedication to saving the earth. You will be able to find many other programs that eat their residents so don't feel like you must limit yourself to the high cost of living in northern CA.

I'm pretty sure the OP meant UCSF Fresno. Property is pretty cheap there. It's a good residency program.