UCSF v. Harvard (Thoughts anyone?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
let's not forget about those of us who would spend a century in the northeast before spending a minute out west... what happens to the factor of location then?

you would do that for fun?

Members don't see this ad.

Both are terrific schools. Anyone would be lucky to go to either of them...

Dear Dr. Dodger Dog,
The reason why I dug through all those threads was to find substantive posts like yours. Thank you. I'm hoping second look will provide more views from 3rd and 4th year life on rotations.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Little known fact-- Boston is WAY hotter than San Francisco. Temperatures in SF, especially in the Inner Sunset where UCSF campus is located, are generaly in the 50s and 60s. Very comfortable-- in fact a little cold for my taste being from Los Angeles with at least 70s and 80s all year.

San Francisco has just enough brisk weather to feel like it's fall/winter and enough hot sunny days to feel like it's California. :)

No snow. No freezing temperatures. No scorching heat with unbearable humidity. Gotta love the city by the bay!

Bringing this back because May 15th approaches . . .

between two such excellent schools, it pretty much comes down to location. pick whichever city you like best!

Why the hard-on for Yale?

because it's obviously better than harvard or ucsf.

good luck getting a decent residency from either of the other two. you might want to start learning polish now.

because it's obviously better than harvard or ucsf.

good luck getting a decent residency from either of the other two. you might want to start learning polish now.

so you'll be in New Haven this Fall?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that the majority of posters who are posting Harvard without a doubt are likely pre-meds or possibly med students early on in medical school. The truth is that both Harvard and UCSF are huge academic medicine powerhouses. They both have incredible clinical training and great research opportunities. Both have incredible prestige and will train you to be a good doc and get you into the residency of your choice. I think there are some important points to consider:
1. East coast vs. west coast. This should really be your key consideration. Do you like the charm of new england or the hip and sunny vibe of SF. I have lived in both places and they are both really cool in different ways. If you are from cali maybe you would like to come back?
2. MD/PhD vs. MD. This actually should be your first consideration. Do you REALLY REALLY want to get a PhD or are you just doing it because you think it will help you land a residency spot or make financial sense. If you really want to do it great. If you are doing it for reasons 2 or 3 I would say be cautious. It likely doesn't make financial sense and you should be able to get a great residency in any field coming from these two schools provided you do well.
3. Hospital systems- As someone who just passed by BWH and MGH and chose to match at UCSF for internal medicine I would say that the comment that BWH or MGH is better than the entire UCSF hospital system is just ridiculous and made by somebody who likely has never set foot in any of these hospitals to work. Realize that BWH and MGH are GREAT GREAT hospitals but I found that there was less of a commitment to underserved care (even at MGH) than the UCSF system. San Francisco General is really unique for the level of HIV/AIDS and immigrant medicine you will see. Do you want to learn to speak medical spanish or practice what you've got? On the flip side Harvard is really unmatched in some things (cards comes to mind). Also I like the SF VA as a major training center which is something that seemed a bit lacking at Harvard despite the West Roxbury VA. I learned so much as a medical student at the VA that might be important.
4. The Harvard name will be better known outside of medicine. If this is important to you then that should be something to consider.

good luck. you can't go wrong. Just remember Location and how much you really want that PhD. Those are YEARS of your life in the lab. I know of some unhappy souls who did MD/PhD. Do it because you love science and not for the money. It really doesn't make financial sense unless you plan on entering a VERY low paying field.

I can only speak for Harvard, but in general, I would say that HMS is the place to go for an unparalleled commitement to teaching (especially at the BI) and an incredibly diverse student body (geographically, racially, intellectually, etc.), which you probably won't find at many (if any) other medical school. Obviously UCSF has quite a bit going for it as well, the location and its commitment toward the underserved come to mind (not quite so heart-warming caring for corporate bigwigs and high-priced attorneys all day, which you unfortunately do see quite a bit of at the major Harvard hospitals). Honestly, though -- you can't really lose either way... good luck with your decision!

2. MD/PhD vs. MD. This actually should be your first consideration. Do you REALLY REALLY want to get a PhD or are you just doing it because you think it will help you land a residency spot or make financial sense. If you really want to do it great. If you are doing it for reasons 2 or 3 I would say be cautious. It likely doesn't make financial sense and you should be able to get a great residency in any field coming from these two schools provided you do well.

Now its tougher, MSTP v. MSTP. With Tuesday approaching. I am sure I have convinced myself that UCSF would be for the best, but the big H starts to create doubt everything I sit down to think about it. :eek:

So O,

I find this funny, reading about your debate everywhere. Im gonna be interested to see where it pans out. hahha.

Now its tougher, MSTP v. MSTP. With Tuesday approaching. I am sure I have convinced myself that UCSF would be for the best, but the big H starts to create doubt everything I sit down to think about it. :eek:

sorry, man. it might not be too late to call up yale and beg to have back your chance at a u.s. residency.

Doesn't matter anymore, director called and turned them down :eek:

I gave the "it's not you, it's me." I'm on my way to the bay! :smuggrin:

Residency matching: it's up to you to get in, not your school. Both Harvard and UCSF give a boost, but the boost ain't much different from the boost from any top 15 school. And if you do poorly on a core clinical rotation or two, the boost evaporates.

Not only do both schools have more resources than any student can exhaust, they have more resources than any student can even uncover in 4 years. The same can be said for any top 15 school. On a one day trip, you see marketing and a glimpse of a huge enterprise.

Narcissism of small differences comes into play. Yes, there are differences between elite schools, but the bigger variable is you, not the school.

Cornell may be the least difficult Ivy to get into for undergrad, but its NYC medical campus is one of the hardest.

I agree that the decision should not be between schools but about whether you are committed to being an MD/PhD. If so, and you liked SF, there is little debate (I think you made that choice).

The bigger issue has t do with the reality that medical schools have some pretty clumsy criteria by which to judge applicants. The average grades and MCAT's at the top 15 schools are roughly the same, and where people go depends significantly on geography. Someone made the Baylor/Cornell comparison, but that call depends where you are and what specialy you are in. If you are a layperson in NYC, you will likely have never heard of Baylor. If you're a layperrson in Texas, you will see Baylor as great and if you've heard of Cornell, will probably assume it's in Ithaca. If you are an academic pediatrician or heart surgeon or basic scientist, you may recognize Baylor as being as good as any school. Similarly, a psychiatrist anywhere in the country would recognize Cornell as being among the top handful of places in the country and wouldn't give much thought to several other Ivy League schools. And if you are in academic medicine anywhere in the western world, you wil be recognized for having jumpedd a major hurdle with a Harvard or UCSF degree, but at the elite level, it (hiring, residency match, promotion, etc) will definitely come down to what you've done with it.