UCVM/WCVM c/o 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShowMeYourPitties

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
New year, new cycle! I know the WCVM funding has changed but I thought I would keep UCVM and WCVM together as WCVM may be keeping seats open for non-provincially funded AB students, according to their website. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Current 4th year at UCVM! Happy to answer any and all questions UCVM related :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m a current first year student at WCVM (BC Applicant). That whole application cycle is still fresh in my mind, so feel free to reach out if you have any questions!

Reactions: 4 users
Also a current first year student at WCVM from B.C! Let me know if you have any questions, I made sure to write everything down from the interview (which is still very far away for you guys!) just in case I had to interview again this year haha ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Application manual for UCVM c/o 2024 is up, for those watching/waiting!

Reactions: 1 users
UCVM application system is up! It's kind of long eh?

I just started an application to check it out and it's the exact same application I filled out way back in 2015 :) So same length as usual, if that's any consolation!

Is anyone else having problems accessing the WCVM application portal? I haven't been able to login for 2 weeks. It said check after Oct. 18 but it still isn't available for me.

Is anyone else having problems accessing the WCVM application portal? I haven't been able to login for 2 weeks. It said check after Oct. 18 but it still isn't available for me.
Yes, I was having trouble as well. I think the school was having negotiations about seat numbers, but that is all cleared up because the portal was opened late Monday!

Members don't see this ad :)
UCVM looks like it's the exact same one as last year, so that's good! Only thing that terrified me was that the English pre-requisite changed, but turns out they are still accepting the 201 pre-requisite as well. Super excited to see how it works this year, with the WCVM seats!!

Can anyone recommend any good books to read to prep for the MMI?
I read "Multiple Mini Interviews:Winning strategies from Admissions Faculty" , it's not vet focused but it was an okay read. I think the most beneficial thing you can do is a mock MMI, which most universities' career services or clubs will offer. Preparing for the questions is hard, but preparing for the format is something is something you need to do so you aren't as stressed during the interview.

Has anyone heard anything about how budget cuts will affect UCVM?

They are doing some restructuring of staff/redistribution of funds primarily. They will still be taking 50 students this coming application cycle! I don't think it will affect your applications, and *hopefully* won't affect your time at the school too much if you do get in. If you have any specific questions about it shoot me a message :)

Maybe this next question was answered at some point, but do you know if they increasing the number of applicants that they interview or simply pulling more out of the ~125 they currently interview (going by last posted admission stats). #askingforafriend jk
Also who is on the admissions committee, is it faculty or...?

Maybe this next question was answered at some point, but do you know if they increasing the number of applicants that they interview or simply pulling more out of the ~125 they currently interview (going by last posted admission stats). #askingforafriend jk
Also who is on the admissions committee, is it faculty or...?

I actually don’t know regarding more interviewees etc! Good question.

The admissions committee is all faculty! Even the interviewers are faculty or learning community members :)

Hello, I was just wondering if uofc offers any mock interviews specifically for vet? and if anyone has any advice that might help with interviews! Thanks so much!

The pre-vet club at U of C is great and last year they did have a practice MMI, so watch for that. U of A in Edmonton has a more formal one this year a couple weeks before the actual interview, so you could go check that out!

Does anyone know how the references work exactly? It says they are 5%, but is that an all or none (simply handing them in is 5%, not doing it is 0%)? Is it an actual letter they write about you, or just fill out a form? For the professor, does the faculty matter (they rate a prof of a prerequisite higher for example)? I can't really find information about the reference forms on the manual!

I was told once - a while ago - that the reference forms were a few questions like "On a scale of 1-5 (1 = strongly disagree; 5 = strongly agree), rate the candidate on the following characteristics..." and then a space at the bottom for short written response. That's all I know/have heard.
Is anyone starting to get worried about transcripts getting to UCVM on time? The transcript deadline is Jan 17 but still hasn't been sent through apply AB. When should one start worrying?

I was accepted UCVM 2022, took a non traditional path, happy to answer any questions!

Apparently a few other students I talked to had the same issue, and in their student portal it said they haven't been sent yet. However, when they called, they said that the transcripts were there. Don't panic yet!

Thanks justdobeit! I did email them and they had them! I guess the portal takes a bit to update? Ugh, the waiting game is driving me up the wall though. Hope everyone's doing well and is more patient than me :p

Thanks justdobeit! I did email them and they had them! I guess the portal takes a bit to update? Ugh, the waiting game is driving me up the wall though. Hope everyone's doing well and is more patient than me :p
Not related - but love your username!! Made me laugh out loud:lol:

Hello everyone, I hope it's ok to ask in this thread. I'm a high school student in grade 12 from BC. Due to the province of residency requirement, I think the only vet school I can apply to is WCVM.
I'm currently trying to choose an undergrad program. I was just wondering, are there benefits to doing undergrad at University of Saskatchewan, since the vet school is right there? Are there perhaps more opportunities available if I do my undergrad there?

Hello everyone, I hope it's ok to ask in this thread. I'm a high school student in grade 12 from BC. Due to the province of residency requirement, I think the only vet school I can apply to is WCVM.
I'm currently trying to choose an undergrad program. I was just wondering, are there benefits to doing undergrad at University of Saskatchewan, since the vet school is right there? Are there perhaps more opportunities available if I do my undergrad there?
Hey,

Even if you go to U of S, you will still be applying as a BC resident. I would go to whatever undergrad institution is the cheapest for you so that you enter vet school with the smallest amount of debt possible. :)

I'm also from BC and I did my undergrad in my hometown (and lived at home). Current me is extremely happy I made that choice and am in a much better financial situation because of it. (I also applied and was accepted to U of S for undergrad, and chose to remain in BC instead)

You can find opportunities everywhere. Obviously comparing Sask to parts of BC there may be more production animal operations, but if you reach out and work hard you can get the experience anywhere.

Sorry, I have a pesky follow up question! Does evaluation of your admission to vet school take into account the 'prestige' of the school you study at? I live right next to a small university that offers associates of science degrees, which are designed to 'block transfer' to the larger local universities. If I want to live at home during undergrad, my choices are to either go to this small university (Capilano University) or to UBC. I've been accepted to both, and on the surface of it I think I would prefer the proximity and small classroom sizes of CapU but I would go to UBC if the school prestige/ranking is a factor in admission. (Sorry for the long-winded/hyperspecific question!)

Sorry, I have a pesky follow up question! Does evaluation of your admission to vet school take into account the 'prestige' of the school you study at? I live right next to a small university that offers associates of science degrees, which are designed to 'block transfer' to the larger local universities. If I want to live at home during undergrad, my choices are to either go to this small university (Capilano University) or to UBC. I've been accepted to both, and on the surface of it I think I would prefer the proximity and small classroom sizes of CapU but I would go to UBC if the school prestige/ranking is a factor in admission. (Sorry for the long-winded/hyperspecific question!)

It does not. Your grades and recognition of the pre-reqs are all that matter

Reactions: 2 users

Hi there! I'm a first year WCVMer that graduated from UBC. The 'prestige' of the university doesn't matter, they do not take into account where you have gone to school before, or what program you may have graduated from. I went to UBC, did my first two years in a Bachelors in Science program (Biology Major) before switching to a more applied biology major (more research, animal welfare focused, smaller class size). I definitely give credit of getting into vet school from the applied biology program since I was exposed to a lot more opportunities that were animal focused (not to mention that I would not have gotten the grades needed to be competitive had I stayed in my previous major). But you could get experience anywhere! I had applied to Guelph back in high school and was thinking of obtaining residency there by staying throughout the summers, but glad I stayed in BC in my hometown as well.

Hi there! I'm a first year WCVMer that graduated from UBC. The 'prestige' of the university doesn't matter, they do not take into account where you have gone to school before, or what program you may have graduated from. I went to UBC, did my first two years in a Bachelors in Science program (Biology Major) before switching to a more applied biology major (more research, animal welfare focused, smaller class size). I definitely give credit of getting into vet school from the applied biology program since I was exposed to a lot more opportunities that were animal focused (not to mention that I would not have gotten the grades needed to be competitive had I stayed in my previous major). But you could get experience anywhere! I had applied to Guelph back in high school and was thinking of obtaining residency there by staying throughout the summers, but glad I stayed in BC in my hometown as well.
Thanks, this is really helpful input! The Applied Animal Biology major is the one I've applied to, too :) I'm glad to hear you had a good/successful experience with it!

Hey guys! I just checked my UofC application out of curiosity, only to see this note under the "transcript status" heading: "Not Received. There is a discrepancy with regards to your transcripts in our system. Please contact the UCVM Admissions Office. 403-220-8699 (Checklist Stat C)". As I graduated in 2018, I sent my transcript from UBC in November... any idea why my application says it's not been received? Starting to panic

Hey guys! I just checked my UofC application out of curiosity, only to see this note under the "transcript status" heading: "Not Received. There is a discrepancy with regards to your transcripts in our system. Please contact the UCVM Admissions Office. 403-220-8699 (Checklist Stat C)". As I graduated in 2018, I sent my transcript from UBC in November... any idea why my application says it's not been received? Starting to panic

Give them a call and ask. It may have been lost in the mail but admissions office will have the answer for you.

I called them about the "not received" status as well and they mentioned that they receive a lot of transcripts and therefore, they haven't been able to update the system yet. I would just give them a call and make sure your transcript is there. If it isn't, I wouldn't panic, as long as you have a confirmation email or some form of receipt stating that it was sent before January 17th, then you should be okay! Hope everything works out!

Thanks, this is really helpful input! The Applied Animal Biology major is the one I've applied to, too :) I'm glad to hear you had a good/successful experience with it!

Feel free to DM me if you have any questions about UBC, the APBI program, or WCVM! There are quite a few graduates from that program at WCVM now, and a lot of my APBI classmates actually went to Dublin, Melbourne, Sydney, Edinburgh, etc. for vet school as well. Some that initially wanted to be vets found passions in other fields throughout undergrad, so I would say it's always good to keep an open mind to all opportunities :)

I called them about the "not received" status as well and they mentioned that they receive a lot of transcripts and therefore, they haven't been able to update the system yet. I would just give them a call and make sure your transcript is there. If it isn't, I wouldn't panic, as long as you have a confirmation email or some form of receipt stating that it was sent before January 17th, then you should be okay! Hope everything works out!
That makes me feel a bit better :) I will call them today! Thank you!!

Thank you! Did you find that the opportunities through the program were helpful? How were the professors?

Does anyone know when interview invites usually come out for WCVM?

In 2018, my offer was in the third week of March. I think last year was similar, but you can check the WCVM/UCVM c/o 2023 thread to know for sure.

Does anyone have any experience with U of Alberta's Animal Health program?

I do! What would you like to know about it? I really enjoyed my time in the program, and felt that it prepared me very well for first year vet school in particular.

I do! What would you like to know about it? I really enjoyed my time in the program, and felt that it prepared me very well for first year vet school in particular.

Oh cool! I was just wondering what it was like. Did the university support you in succeeding at the vet school application process, ei mock interviews, providing opportunities/connections for animal experience, etc? Were the profs nice?
I really can't decide on a program I'm such an indecisive person, and this feels like such a big decision!

Oh cool! I was just wondering what it was like. Did the university support you in succeeding at the vet school application process, ei mock interviews, providing opportunities/connections for animal experience, etc? Were the profs nice?
I really can't decide on a program I'm such an indecisive person, and this feels like such a big decision!
Honestly, your undergrad doesn't matter that much (in my opinion). My classmates have come from everywhere. Community college, prestigious universities, specific animal health programs, etc. I would just do what is cheapest or what you think you would enjoy the most.

Edited to add: Also think about back-up plans to vetmed. There are no guarantees that you will still want to do vetmed in a few years or get in to vet school, so it isn't a bad idea to do your undergrad in something that could also be used for a different career in the event vetmed doesn't work out. For example: I discovered in 1st year undergrad that I love geography and GIS work, so I added a minor in that to my degree with full intention of persuing it further if vet school didn't happen. Now, I never finished my degree, so if I left vet school now I would need to go back to undergrad to finish before I could use it. :laugh:

Last edited: