UCVM/WCVM c/o 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Random question... does anyone know how an MSc would factor into the grade calculation for WCVM? I finished my BSc 2 years ago, but with how much the admission averages are increasing each year, I'm starting to get concerned that I'll need to upgrade:( For reference, I went to UBC for my BSc, and recently moved permanently from AB to BC, so would be in the BC pool from hereon out.
I'm specifically looking at an online, part-time masters in animal nutrition (I would make a career out of that if there were any decent jobs associated:laugh:). Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Random question... does anyone know how an MSc would factor into the grade calculation for WCVM? I finished my BSc 2 years ago, but with how much the admission averages are increasing each year, I'm starting to get concerned that I'll need to upgrade:( For reference, I went to UBC for my BSc, and recently moved permanently from AB to BC, so would be in the BC pool from hereon out.
I'm specifically looking at an online, part-time masters in animal nutrition (I would make a career out of that if there were any decent jobs associated:laugh:). Any advice would be much appreciated!!

I would suggest emailing Heather in the admissions office to ask about how an MSc would factor into the grade calculation. Are you aware that under certain circumstances taking a full 5th year of classes (ie. completing 150 credits) may make you eligible to drop your worst year of marks? This may also be an option for you.

Hope interviews went well for everyone!!! :)

SO ANXIOUS for final decisions to be released next week!!! How is everyone feeling about their interviews? I thought my interview panel was really relaxed and encouraging:)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I hope everyones interviews went smoothly :love::xf: For UCVM, I read that they are supposed to present the list to the dean by Tuesday? Do you think that they will contact people before, on, or after that date?? :1geek:

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone can give me some advice. Applied to UCVM this year with a 3.94/4.0. I also applied to a year-long course based masters as a “back-up” and just got my rejection letter today (writing this after crying for a little bit). I feel quite lost. I know for a fact I want to be a vet, but I’m just scared of the whole process. I’ve already taken a gap year after graduating in 2019, and I basically used the time to volunteer/gain more experience and start my own dog-walking business. I don’t know how CASPer went, I feel like it’s kinda hard to gauge. But, I’m just very anxious. If I don’t get in this year, I’d be forced to have another year off (now that I’ve been rejected from my masters). Does anyone have any advice of what to do on that extra year off? I know I’m probably getting ahead of myself considering decisions haven’t come out yet, but any advice would be appreciated.

Reactions: 1 users
I hope everyones interviews went smoothly :love::xf: For UCVM, I read that they are supposed to present the list to the dean by Tuesday? Do you think that they will contact people before, on, or after that date?? :1geek:

I'm expecting on or after, but who knows.

My CASPer says it's scored and has been delivered, and so does everyone else's who I know in this application cycle :eek: so in theory we could hear results any day now. Phone off silent and time to answer every robot scam that calls me for the next week or so :lol:

Reactions: 1 user
Aw, sorry you got rejected for your plan b! :cryi:

My advice is:
1. Take some deep breaths and relax. TRY not to worry anymore until the results come out (but also I'm doing the exact same thing so I know you probably can't)
2. IF you get rejected, I would focus on interview skills and practicing MMIs while working for another year and saving as much money as you can. With your GPA, GPA is not going to be the limiting factor! Which is really nice. Interview skills can definitely be improved and there are lots of things you can do in that area. IF you don't get in this year, and you want a ton of resources, hit me up! (But wait till after results come out) No idea if my own advice and coaching will apply to my own application, but I helped out multiple of the current first years when they were prepping for interviews, so in theory I can be helpful :laugh:

Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone can give me some advice. Applied to UCVM this year with a 3.94/4.0. I also applied to a year-long course based masters as a “back-up” and just got my rejection letter today (writing this after crying for a little bit). I feel quite lost. I know for a fact I want to be a vet, but I’m just scared of the whole process. I’ve already taken a gap year after graduating in 2019, and I basically used the time to volunteer/gain more experience and start my own dog-walking business. I don’t know how CASPer went, I feel like it’s kinda hard to gauge. But, I’m just very anxious. If I don’t get in this year, I’d be forced to have another year off (now that I’ve been rejected from my masters). Does anyone have any advice of what to do on that extra year off? I know I’m probably getting ahead of myself considering decisions haven’t come out yet, but any advice would be appreciated.

Aw, sorry you got rejected for your plan b! :cryi:

My advice is:
1. Take some deep breaths and relax. TRY not to worry anymore until the results come out (but also I'm doing the exact same thing so I know you probably can't)
2. IF you get rejected, I would focus on interview skills and practicing MMIs while working for another year and saving as much money as you can. With your GPA, GPA is not going to be the limiting factor! Which is really nice. Interview skills can definitely be improved and there are lots of things you can do in that area. IF you don't get in this year, and you want a ton of resources, hit me up! (But wait till after results come out) No idea if my own advice and coaching will apply to my own application, but I helped out multiple of the current first years when they were prepping for interviews, so in theory I can be helpful :laugh:
Thank you so much! I think I realized that there wasn’t really any point in doing a masters anyways, especially course-based. I guess I’m just in that mindset of “I got rejected from this, so I’m going to be rejected from that too.” But yeah, there’s no point worrying for right now. I really do appreciate your help though! I will def hit you up if I’m unsuccessful. I did my undergrad at queens where the weren’t too many pre-vet resources, so I definitely feel like I kind of winged my way through all of this.
Also, I emailed Kristy about decisions, and she said that they’re on track to release them within the next 2 weeks!

Thank you so much! I think I realized that there wasn’t really any point in doing a masters anyways, especially course-based. I guess I’m just in that mindset of “I got rejected from this, so I’m going to be rejected from that too.” But yeah, there’s no point worrying for right now. I really do appreciate your help though! I will def hit you up if I’m unsuccessful. I did my undergrad at queens where the weren’t too many pre-vet resources, so I definitely feel like I kind of winged my way through all of this.
Also, I emailed Kristy about decisions, and she said that they’re on track to release them within the next 2 weeks!
Yeah, a master's won't be super helpful for you if you aren't planning on using it. They are best for people who have less competitive GPAs (assuming they're able to do well academically in a master's program), or of course people who want to specialize their education a bit more.

I was going to apply for one myself but then being in school during the pandemic happened and I didn't get the application done. So, here's hoping we both get in this cycle and don't have to worry about masters programs again.

When did Kristy say that? Do you mean results will be released within 2 weeks from today?? Good to know, as I was thinking it would be early next week :nailbiting:

Yeah, a master's won't be super helpful for you if you aren't planning on using it. They are best for people who have less competitive GPAs (assuming they're able to do well academically in a master's program), or of course people who want to specialize their education a bit more.

I was going to apply for one myself but then being in school during the pandemic happened and I didn't get the application done. So, here's hoping we both get in this cycle and don't have to worry about masters programs again.

When did Kristy say that? Do you mean results will be released within 2 weeks from today?? Good to know, as I was thinking it would be early next week :nailbiting:
Omg same....I barely got the application done in time. My refs probably weren’t the best. I’m also not sure if I want to spend that much money/time doing something I’m not passionate about. I hope you get in!! Fingers crossed for both of us!

yeah so she basically just said “I can tell you we’re on track to have decisions done in the next 2 weeks” and that was it. So I really have no idea what that means. But, yes, I emailed her last night and she got back to me this morning!

Going to feel like a long weekend waiting for WCVM results hope it went well for everyone!

SO ANXIOUS for final decisions to be released next week!!! How is everyone feeling about their interviews? I thought my interview panel was really relaxed and encouraging:)

Just curious, did the WCVM explicitly say decisions/results were going to be released next week?

Members don't see this ad :)
sooooooo whos going to WCVM next year?!?!?!?!?

Me! Pumped to meet everyone gonna be a weird start this year. Congrats everyone that got in! If that’s not you this cycle keep putting the work in it will happen

Reactions: 7 users
Question for UCVM people: how are decisions are released? I heard you get a phone call if you’re accepted. But what about the people who aren’t offered a place? Is it an email?

Question for UCVM people: how are decisions are released? I heard you get a phone call if you’re accepted. But what about the people who aren’t offered a place? Is it an email?
Historically you get a phone call if accepted, and email if rejected or waitlisted.

The WCVM c/o2024 FB group shuold be made by the end of the month!

Last edited:
The WCVM c/o2024 FB group shuold be made by the end of the month!

Members of the second year class have started up the FB group and you should be able to search it under “WCVM Class of 2024” :)

I’m the OTHER/Territories person! Super stoked! I’ll try to find the Facebook group. I’m currently volunteering at a wildlife sanctuary and couldn’t even fully appreciate the email/letter cause I had to feed baby raccoons literally five minutes after I got it lol

Reactions: 5 users
Currently on the alternative list for the non-IPA stream for WCVM. Does anyone know about how much the waitlist has moved in previous years?

Currently on the alternative list for the non-IPA stream for WCVM. Does anyone know about how much the waitlist has moved in previous years?

It is going to be very different because this is the first year of non-IPA, and our class size will be larger than the normal 78 as well. Admin dont have a good forecast of the waitlist movement this year apparently

I think it’ll be really hard to judge this year with the new non-IPA seats! Previously, there was decent movement from the wait list for Alberta, and less movement (And shorter wait lists) with other provinces.

Guys! I just got a phone call from UCVM!! I got in!!

Reactions: 8 users
Guys! I just got a phone call from UCVM!! I got in!!
Me too!!! DM if you want to connect on Facebook? We can make an unofficial group chat for the class.

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats to any successful UCVM applicants! If you have any questions about the program, life advice for going into first year, or just general questions shoot me a message :) always happy to help out vetties!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
How late in the day does the Dean call? I haven’t got a call and am so crushed, but I’m trying to tell myself it’s not over yet!

How late in the day does the Dean call? I haven’t got a call and am so crushed, but I’m trying to tell myself it’s not over yet!
I’m sorry to hear, I’m in the same boat

If anyone gets a rejection email (or knows someone who does) for UCVM would you mind letting me know? Here or via DM. Asking because a friend hasn't heard anything yet, but there have been administration mistakes made on her file literally at every single step of the process this whole application cycle (they miscalculated her GPA and she got a rejection for interviews to start with, but other things too), and she's going crazy now. IF other people have gotten rejection or waitlist emails that would be super helpful for her to know.

So, since everyone here is aware that UCVM phonecalls have gone out already, I think it is okay for me to share this message with you. I spoke with Dr. Singh this morning on behalf of my friends in limbo, and shared this message in our pre-interview applicant group chat. Sorry I don't have time to personalize it to forum members or anything, but the message is still the same in essence (sympathy and support, my belief that everyone who has made it this far can and will get in if they continue to pursue this.)

As some of you know, Dr. Singh made phonecalls with offers of admission to people yesterday.

As some of you also know, 78 people heard nothing, nor received rejection or wait list offers.

This was very confusing and alarming, and I've been in correspondence with a few of you and applicants from the student doctor forums. As Dr. Singh graciously told me I can phone him anytime, I felt I owed it to my friends to get to the bottom of this.

Because the offers and the deadline to accept them are less than a week apart, they are not sending out rejections or waitlist offers until closer to the deadline to accept (next Tuesday, the 23rd). If you did not receive a call or email (if he was unable to get ahold of you by phone you still received an email) yesterday, you are essentially all on the waitlist temporarily, as they anticipate some people will reject the offers. Dr. Singh does not know any of the applicants names besides the 50 he has called, and to remain neutral he only gets them once admissions sends him the name(s) to be offered seats.

So if and as people reject seats in the next few days, more people will be called. Rejections will be sent out at some point, he is not sure when.

For further questions you may hit me up (perhaps privately to not heighten stress for others), or email Kristy.

We will not do an acceptance poll until rejections are sent, since multiple people are in limbo and that likely feels really ****ty.

If you have been phoned or emailed an offer please privately message me for entrance into the unofficial class chat.

Congratulations to everyone given an offer, and serious sympathy and electric hugs offered to people in limbo. This has been a tough year, and continues to be so for 78 people. Hopefully the not knowing will be over soon.

I know everyone in this chat can and will get into vet school if that is what you continue to want for yourself. I am always here for you all for support, advice about applications, etc. As will the PVSA, which will continue to be an amazing resource for Pre-vet students

To everyone that has not heard anything, please do not take this too hard. I know it’s super super super difficult and very emotional. I was rejected from everything before I got the call yesterday. It really sucks, but you are so capable of getting in. I think this year was a weird one with COVID, and the lack of in-person interviews def puts some people at an advantage, with others being at a disadvantage. But, please do not give up! Also, there is always a chance you could be given a place this year, so don’t lost hope yet

I just got an email, I'm on the UCVM waitlist.

Thanks so much! I'm not expecting too much, just because now Saskatchewan isn't an option, but I'm not giving up hope yet!

• Love
I just got an email, I'm on the UCVM waitlist.

Congrats! And amazing!!! Dr. Singh made it sound like waitlist offers would also be delayed by days.

He seemed to think there would be movement of the waitlist due to classes being online, so I guess we'll see.

Congrats! And amazing!!! Dr. Singh made it sound like waitlist offers would also be delayed by days.

He seemed to think there would be movement of the waitlist due to classes being online, so I guess we'll see.

Thanks so much! I also want to say congrats to you so much, you earned it and hopefully it won't be crazy with it being online classes and such!! I am praying the waitlist will move a bit, I really wanna meet you guys!

• Love
I got a rejection email from UCVM, it said I was in the top 25% for CASPer score but the lowest 25% for GPA (I was probably near the interview cut off). So because of the new weighting, it basically didn't matter how well I did on the CASPer as GPA was worth so much more.

Congrats to everyone that got in though!

I got a rejection email from UCVM, it said I was in the top 25% for CASPer score but the lowest 25% for GPA (I was probably near the interview cut off). So because of the new weighting, it basically didn't matter how well I did on the CASPer as GPA was worth so much more.

Congrats to everyone that got in though!
Congrats to everyone that got in. I also got a rejection letter from UCVM but had the opposite ranking. I was top 25% for GPA and bottom 25% for CASPer.