UCVM/WCVM c/o 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh cool! I was just wondering what it was like. Did the university support you in succeeding at the vet school application process, ei mock interviews, providing opportunities/connections for animal experience, etc? Were the profs nice?
I really can't decide on a program I'm such an indecisive person, and this feels like such a big decision!

Agree with @TheGirlWithTheFernTattoo. But to specifically answer your questions:

Yup, the UofA Pre-Vet program runs mock interviews, and generally provides a lot of support for vet school applicants. They geared the program to making sure you get the vet school prerequisites done in your first 2 years, so you can start applying as soon as possible. They also offer a credit back-transfer program, so once I finish my vet med degree, I can back-transfer my vet school credits in order to complete my BSc Animal Health (since I only did 3 years of it before I moved to Calgary).

They also provide a lot of opportunities for animal experience... because we have a poultry, swine and dairy barn on campus, there's lots of chances to get hands on experience with farm animals in particular. I ended up helping out on a poultry research project while I was there, which was a cool chance to spend time in a poultry barn! Even beyond "outside of class" animal experience, a lot of the courses themselves are geared towards animal interaction... some will have labs set at the university barns, some have wet labs where you can handle specimens, and one course in particular (AN SC 200, which is amazing) is based around weekly field trips to various types of animal production facilities. That course also has a community outreach project to further expose you to animal industries... when I was there we did something called "Rural Cafe" which allowed us to basically do speed-dating with different types of animal producers, to learn more about their industries. So those types of things are super interesting, and I think valuable for a prospective vet. I believe in the last couple years they've done weekend work experiences at different production facilities as part of the course as well, so even more hands-on opportunity there!

And yes, all of the profs are amazing! I have really fond memories of all the Animal Science profs, particularly Frank and Martin who run AN SC 200. Martin would often bring his guitar to class events and we would sit around and sing animal/agriculture themed parodies of popular songs :laugh: Everyone was super friendly and very, very helpful and really want you to succeed.

Let me know if you have any more questions about it!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone had experience with UofC reconsidering your interview status after the fact? I just got a letter via email saying I don’t qualify as an Alberta resident, but I definitely do... I gave them a valid drivers licence and Alberta health card, and didn’t have an issue last year, so have no idea why I didn’t qualify! Would they be receptive to an email explaining the situation, or are my chances completely gone this year...?

Agree with @TheGirlWithTheFernTattoo. But to specifically answer your questions:

Yup, the UofA Pre-Vet program runs mock interviews, and generally provides a lot of support for vet school applicants. They geared the program to making sure you get the vet school prerequisites done in your first 2 years, so you can start applying as soon as possible. They also offer a credit back-transfer program, so once I finish my vet med degree, I can back-transfer my vet school credits in order to complete my BSc Animal Health (since I only did 3 years of it before I moved to Calgary).

They also provide a lot of opportunities for animal experience... because we have a poultry, swine and dairy barn on campus, there's lots of chances to get hands on experience with farm animals in particular. I ended up helping out on a poultry research project while I was there, which was a cool chance to spend time in a poultry barn! Even beyond "outside of class" animal experience, a lot of the courses themselves are geared towards animal interaction... some will have labs set at the university barns, some have wet labs where you can handle specimens, and one course in particular (AN SC 200, which is amazing) is based around weekly field trips to various types of animal production facilities. That course also has a community outreach project to further expose you to animal industries... when I was there we did something called "Rural Cafe" which allowed us to basically do speed-dating with different types of animal producers, to learn more about their industries. So those types of things are super interesting, and I think valuable for a prospective vet. I believe in the last couple years they've done weekend work experiences at different production facilities as part of the course as well, so even more hands-on opportunity there!

And yes, all of the profs are amazing! I have really fond memories of all the Animal Science profs, particularly Frank and Martin who run AN SC 200. Martin would often bring his guitar to class events and we would sit around and sing animal/agriculture themed parodies of popular songs :laugh: Everyone was super friendly and very, very helpful and really want you to succeed.

Woah! That sounds like such a cool program!! I wish I knew about it a couple years ago when I started my degree! I really regret not looking into more options!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, your undergrad doesn't matter that much (in my opinion). My classmates have come from everywhere. Community college, prestigious universities, specific animal health programs, etc. I would just do what is cheapest or what you think you would enjoy the most.

Edited to add: Also think about back-up plans to vetmed. There are no guarantees that you will still want to do vetmed in a few years or get in to vet school, so it isn't a bad idea to do your undergrad in something that could also be used for a different career in the event vetmed doesn't work out. For example: I discovered in 1st year undergrad that I love geography and GIS work, so I added a minor in that to my degree with full intention of persuing it further if vet school didn't happen. Now, I never finished my degree, so if I left vet school now I would need to go back to undergrad to finish before I could use it. :laugh:

I agree with this!! I didn't even fully decide that I wanted to go the vet school route till 6 months after I finished my undergrad. Though my school had a pre vet club which I think did mock interviews etc, I wasn't a part of it and still did okay on the application process (got in first try). My school also did not have any animal science oriented programs (besides like 1 animal phys course that I didn't take), but I feel like the required pre reqs prepared me just fine for first year. I don't regret choosing the school I did, because it allowed me to live at home, work part time and not stress too much about money (plus I was able to enjoy 4 more years of living in BC before struggling in the prairies). You've got a long road of school ahead of you, so I'd just say not to sweat this decision too much! Go with what feels right for you and what you think you'll enjoy the most!

Edited to add: I'm not trying to sound like pre-vet clubs aren't a great resource though! Having extra interview help is always great, and im sure that being part of a pre-vet club would look good on applications. Just trying to say that its not going to make or break your chances if you chose a place without those type of opportunities :)

Thank you for this in-depth reply! I really appreciate it. It sounds awesome! I actually just received an email today saying that my application for admission to the program was accepted. Yay! AN SC 200 sounds amazing, I'll definitely try to register for it if I can.

Thank you for this in-depth reply! I really appreciate it. It sounds awesome! I actually just received an email today saying that my application for admission to the program was accepted. Yay! AN SC 200 sounds amazing, I'll definitely try to register for it if I can.

Congrats!! I believe AN SC 200 is a required course for second year ;) Say hi to Frank and Martin for me! :laugh:

Did anyone get an interview for UCVM? I feel like it's a ghost town on here! :p

Has anyone had experience with UofC reconsidering your interview status after the fact? I just got a letter via email saying I don’t qualify as an Alberta resident, but I definitely do... I gave them a valid drivers licence and Alberta health card, and didn’t have an issue last year, so have no idea why I didn’t qualify! Would they be receptive to an email explaining the situation, or are my chances completely gone this year...?

I would definitely email them asap to try to clarify you are an Alberta resident, otherwise they might not double check! Maybe the upload of your residency didn't load for them or something? Get on that quick because the deadline to accept the interview is tomorrow so it's worth a try!

I would definitely email them asap to try to clarify you are an Alberta resident, otherwise they might not double check! Maybe the upload of your residency didn't load for them or something? Get on that quick because the deadline to accept the interview is tomorrow so it's worth a try!
Ugh I emailed them 15 minutes after I received the letter, and again the next day, but have heard nothing. I’ll see if I can get ahold of someone on the phone tomorrow as a last ditch effort.

I applied, but didn't get an interview because the interview cut off gpa jumped a whole 0.1 gpa point this year. And no one else I know who applied got one. But they said they're going to be sending out the invites through the first week of March I think, so if you haven't received anything you have a good chance :)

I did! And also 6 of my friends.

This is literally my first post on here ever, but I've been stalking the ucvm threads for years. I had a sucky first year GPA wise, good second year, then messed up my third year and couldn't apply. I'm finishing my fifth year and got my first interview and I've been dying of excitement since Tuesday!

If anyone is comfortable sharing 3-term (or 4 if you're graduated) GPA and whether they got invited or rejected, I'm trying to figure out the cut off this year. The highest rejection I know of so far is 3.63, and the lowest invitation is 3.75. So if you're inbetween those numbers and comfortable sharing, I'd love to hear!

Reactions: 4 users
Ugh I emailed them 15 minutes after I received the letter, and again the next day, but have heard nothing. I’ll see if I can get ahold of someone on the phone tomorrow as a last ditch effort.
What you can do if you have a ucalgary email, is go to options and request a read receipt. That way, at least you can see if they have seen it. which can be helpful!

Wow, the GPA cutoff went up? Darn! The last few cycles it has been very consistent at around 3.52, so that's odd. Maybe it has to do with there being more seats? I got my UCVM interview offer on Tuesday! Nearly gave me a heart attack since I wasn't expecting it until Friday at least! It looks like the deadline to accept the interview is tomorrow at 12 (on another form it says the 4th though, so not sure which is the correct one).

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, the GPA cutoff went up? Darn! The last few cycles it has been very consistent at around 3.52, so that's odd. Maybe it has to do with there being more seats? I got my UCVM interview offer on Tuesday! Nearly gave me a heart attack since I wasn't expecting it until Friday at least! It looks like the deadline to accept the interview is tomorrow at 12 (on another form it says the 4th though, so not sure which is the correct one).
Last year it was 3.55, and the lowest GPA who actually got in to UCVM was 3.63 (which is now at or below the cutoff!).

For the last 3 years ~250 people have applied. This year ~280 applied. My theory is that those extra 30 people are people who previously would have only applied to WCVM (and that is a thing, I've know a few of them over the years). Because WCVM looks at your cumulative GPA, I think the people who would only apply to WCVM have higher GPAs than people who apply to both, or only to UCVM. So I was expecting a jump, but, not this big. In the past three years, if I recall all the admissions stats (I've saved them somewhere, I need to go dig them up), the most the cutoff has ever increased in a single year is 0.03. This year we are at minimum 0.08 above last year (but I suspect a bit higher).

Sorry if this is way too much info, I'm kind of a stats/numbers nerd :1geek:

Sorry if this is way too much info, I'm kind of a stats/numbers nerd :1geek:

Oh my gosh don't apologize, I'm glad someone loves statistics :p That seems like a high jump compared to other years, but makes sense because of WCVM. I wonder now if the acceptance is going to be higher as well, because that's bad news for us!! :eek:

Oh my gosh don't apologize, I'm glad someone loves statistics :p That seems like a high jump compared to other years, but makes sense because of WCVM. I wonder now if the acceptance is going to be higher as well, because that's bad news for us!! :eek:

Well the acceptance will certainly be higher than previous years, because of the cutoff increase. For instance, last year someone with 3.63 was accepted, this year people with 3.63 are getting rejection letters. So it's almost mathematically impossible for it to not increase (technically the average could remain the same, but it's very very unlikely, since the minimum is increasing).

My suspicion on admittance average is that there will be a smaller gap between the lowest GPA interviewing and the lowest GPA getting accepted, due to the increased number of people being accepted. Last year those numbers were 3.55 and 3.63, for a difference of 0.08. This year, for example, they might be 3.65 and 3.7 (I just made these numbers up, don't panic!!), for a difference of 0.05.

With this, I also expect the waitlist to move VERY little. Like maybe one or two seats per year? At most?

I'm curious to see if all my nerdy predictions are even close to accurate :laugh:

Ugh I'm so frustrated... I got a rejection and I have a 3.55 GPA. :bang:

• Sad
What you can do if you have a ucalgary email, is go to options and request a read receipt. That way, at least you can see if they have seen it. which can be helpful!
Thank you! Unfortunately I don’t have a UofC email

That's so weird....did you upload both on the Student Center? 2 days before the application deadline, they emailed me and told me that I needed to email them 2 pieces of alberta residency docs, even though I had them both uploaded. I feel like there could've been something wrong with the uploading for you.....did you end up calling them?

That's so weird....did you upload both on the Student Center? 2 days before the application deadline, they emailed me and told me that I needed to email them 2 pieces of alberta residency docs, even though I had them both uploaded. I feel like there could've been something wrong with the uploading for you.....did you end up calling them?
Yes, I had both up! I used the same files that I did last year without a problem... I called and emailed multiple times but never heard back from anyone

Yes, I had both up! I used the same files that I did last year without a problem... I called and emailed multiple times but never heard back from anyone

I would honestly keep trying to get a hold of them next week until you can get an actual explanation. I feel like they were probably super busy this week with all the interview decisions, but don't lose hope - maybe they actually did make a mistake.

I was submitting my interview acceptance form today when I realized the deadline date for the form was different in 3 places! One form says Feb 28 noon, one says March 2 noon, and then the application manual says March 6. Does anyone know what the real date is? I'm freaking out a little that I missed the deadline.

I was submitting my interview acceptance form today when I realized the deadline date for the form was different in 3 places! One form says Feb 28 noon, one says March 2 noon, and then the application manual says March 6. Does anyone know what the real date is? I'm freaking out a little that I missed the deadline.

I have no advice for you but just wanted to say I'm not even surprised that there are 3 different dates

Actually, my advice would be that if they give you any grief to just show them the different deadlines on the forms and they should have to honor the latest date on their own paperwork

• Okay...
  • Haha
I noticed that too! One form says 28th and one said the 4th. I literally submitted it the day of because I was so worried I would mess it up, and I figured the earlier one was correct? Maybe just email them now with your acceptance form and mention that one form does say a different date.

Ahhh hearing about the selection process is making me anxious to hear from WCVM! It's such a long wait! I wish they released stuff at the same time! Good luck to all you UCVM applicants who got interviews. And those who didn't keep your head up and keep pushing!

does anyone have any advice / tips for admission interviews to UCVM or WCVM? Ways to prepare? Things to know prior? Outfit tips? etc. etc.

Thanks <3

does anyone have any advice / tips for admission interviews to UCVM or WCVM? Ways to prepare? Things to know prior? Outfit tips? etc. etc.

Thanks <3
If you read these threads from the past few years there is lots of advice on there.

Here is a few things, from my experience at WCVM:
1. Dress nice. Most people I saw were wearing a full suit, or at least dress pants and a nice shirt.
2. For interview prep: Know your application well. Know what you did, when you did it, how much you did it, and what you learned from it. Know what sort of specific things you did, saw, etc. Look up a lot of the more controversial things the profession and be able to discuss and have an opinion on them (eg: battery cages, farrowing crates, etc). If you don't have a ton of farm animal experience, really try to research how all of the production systems work and be able to talk about them. Know the difference between animal welfare and animal rights. Know as much as you can about the profession: job opportunities (common and not as common), salaries, difficulties, etc. Know and be able to explain what Onehealth is. Also keep up to date on stuff going on in the news internationally, nationally, and locally and be able to talk about them. There will be some general questions that everyone gets asked, but you will be asked a lot of things specific to your application that you submitted.

You will have 3 interviewers, who each ask one set of the questions (with the others jumping in as they think of things). One will ask about non-vet volunteering/world stuff, one will ask about your animal experience, and one will ask about your knowledge of the veterinary profession.

My interview was pretty laid back, and I enjoyed myself. It's just a 45 minute conversation with lots of questions thrown in.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys! This is my first post on here. I was invited for an interview at UCVM. I have never been to an MMI interview before, so I'd love an idea of what to expect. I know they may be more scenario/ethical questions rather than about our veterinary experience (which I am kinda bummed about because that's an area where I could shine). If anyone has some example topics they may cover, that would be so helpful!

Hey guys! This is my first post on here. I was invited for an interview at UCVM. I have never been to an MMI interview before, so I'd love an idea of what to expect. I know they may be more scenario/ethical questions rather than about our veterinary experience (which I am kinda bummed about because that's an area where I could shine). If anyone has some example topics they may cover, that would be so helpful!

We can't give you any real examples because we have to sign waivers that are non-disclosure. However, the questions and scenarios can vary widely year to year. So not that helpful anyway.

In my year, there were 0 questions about my own background and experience, but there were occasionally times I could use that experience to answer scenarios. Few stations had anything to do with vet med at all, though that is a big variant year to year.

I strongly recommend getting "Multiple Mini Interviews for the Mind" by Kevyn To. Get the first edition, it's cheaper. Considering I had no experience at all doing MMIs, it was super helpful as it gave a reliable format to answering scenarios that really helped me to get through the interview without panicking. Additionally, lots of the examples there had common themes with the ones I saw in my interview. In the end, it was almost fun in a sick sort of way hahaha :laugh:

Thanks <3

My interview for WCVM was very personal - they asked lots about my own experiences so definitely know your application well. Think of some questions to ask them at the end. Definitely stay up to date with the news both locally and internationally. Make sure you've read over and understand some of the CVMA position statements for various topics. I have heard of some people being asked ethical questions, but I didn't have any sort of question like that. I've also heard that of the three interviewers, one tends to play the "tough guy" role. I definitely did feel like that was the case for my interview, but I talked to people from other provinces who said that all of their interviewers were really nice, so it may just depend on who you get. It really wasn't as bad as I was expecting, and it felt really short, even though it was close to an hour.

For UCVM: if you are having troubles finding vetmed people to practice with I would suggest joining an MMI practice group at your university, there is inevitably one that springs up for people applying to dentistry/medicine. Its less about the topics in an MMI and more about being quick on your feet because it is so hard to predict what kind of questions they'll give you. The more you practice the more you'll feel comfortable no matter what the question is.

Also, in terms of outfit choices: wear COMFORTABLE SHOES. And while a lot of people may wear full suits, feel free to wear any formal clothing that makes you the most comfortable and confident. For example, I just wore a long sleeve blouse and dress pants because I didn't want to feel restricted with a blazer/jacket.

Hey everyone! Just a quick question, when WCVM calculates your GPA, do they include the year you're currently applying in? So for example, if I am applying in 4th year would they include my grades for 4th year as well in the GPA calculations for interview and acceptance?

Hey everyone! Just a quick question, when WCVM calculates your GPA, do they include the year you're currently applying in? So for example, if I am applying in 4th year would they include my grades for 4th year as well in the GPA calculations for interview and acceptance?

Yes, this was the case when I applied a few years ago. At that time, the first semester of my fourth year was my "best year" and it was included even though my second semester was still ongoing.

However, it's always best to check with the admin at WCVM just to make sure things haven't changed.

Am a SDN neonate, so my apologies if this post is not what is supposed to be on this thread (not quite sure of how SDN forum etiquette yet, and I haven't read everything quite yet, but I'd like to post this and be able to access the answers easily). I have a WCVM question: Could anyone provide some interview tips? I've applied for this year's intake and am really hoping I've done what's necessary to land an interview, and I really don't want to waste this opportunity (as I'm sure everyone else can agree with). I've heard a lot about quality over quantity... Any interview question examples? (I'm trying to build a bank of practice questions). Do the interviewers dislike "rehearsed" answers? I have quite a broad range of experiences, but don't have anything that I think is truly remarkable or unique... classic shadowing, community volunteering, summer jobs... I see everyone else's experiences and they seem so much grander than my own! I haven't done any work abroad, am not very deeply involved with the agriculture industry (I've worked on farms and my undergraduate program is ANBI, but I was raised a complete city kid), and I don't have any in depth experience with wildlife. I am very much a horse and dog person, but again, that just seems so commonplace? Nothing that I think would strike an impression on the interview panel. Any tips??? I am trying to get more experience in industry and wildlife, but I won't have much to show by the time interviews roll around.

Another quick question, for the UCVM interview, are the interviewers allowed to ask follow up questions? Or are you expected to talk for the full 8-10 minutes? Thanks so much everyone!

For anyone interested in the UCVM GPA cut off this year, if you applied to UCVM this round (whether you got an invite or not) I'd super appreciate if you filled out this SURVEY. It is entirely anonymous, no personal data being collected, just your answers! I'll share results as they get updated, currently data I've gotten from it hasn't changed any of my previous posts in this thread. The academic advising mentioned in the blurb on the first page is regarding the pre-vet club at U of C, not official UCVM admissions people or anything like that.

Also this kinda identifies me to some club members and lurkers on here, so yeah, hi PVSA people :hello::rofl:

Another quick question, for the UCVM interview, are the interviewers allowed to ask follow up questions? Or are you expected to talk for the full 8-10 minutes? Thanks so much everyone!

As far as i.know they've done follow up questions for the last few years. They'll typically tell you if that's going to be a thing at the orientation on interview day.

That said, I don't think I ever talked for the full 8 minutes. Even with follow up questions :laugh:

Take with a grain of salt as I haven't actually interviewed yet. From what I understand it kind of varies from year to year. Often there are "probing questions" they'll ask everyone (presuming you don't run out of time on your initial response to the prompt). But some years those questions may be included on the paper prompt, and won't be asked.

Either way, you don't HAVE to use all the time. Often it will be better if you don't (a lot of people get ramble-y and repetitive trying to fill up space).

Am a SDN neonate, so my apologies if this post is not what is supposed to be on this thread (not quite sure of how SDN forum etiquette yet, and I haven't read everything quite yet, but I'd like to post this and be able to access the answers easily). I have a WCVM question: Could anyone provide some interview tips? I've applied for this year's intake and am really hoping I've done what's necessary to land an interview, and I really don't want to waste this opportunity (as I'm sure everyone else can agree with). I've heard a lot about quality over quantity... Any interview question examples? (I'm trying to build a bank of practice questions). Do the interviewers dislike "rehearsed" answers? I have quite a broad range of experiences, but don't have anything that I think is truly remarkable or unique... classic shadowing, community volunteering, summer jobs... I see everyone else's experiences and they seem so much grander than my own! I haven't done any work abroad, am not very deeply involved with the agriculture industry (I've worked on farms and my undergraduate program is ANBI, but I was raised a complete city kid), and I don't have any in depth experience with wildlife. I am very much a horse and dog person, but again, that just seems so commonplace? Nothing that I think would strike an impression on the interview panel. Any tips??? I am trying to get more experience in industry and wildlife, but I won't have much to show by the time interviews roll around.

Welcome to SDN @laughtordogtor!! :hello: I am a current WCVM student and found SDN to be a great resource while prepping for interviews, so I'll try my best to help you out!

Firstly, the WCVM interview is broken up into 3 main areas: about you/non-animal experiences, current events/social awareness, and your animal/veterinary experiences.

Preparation:
-I practiced with another friend who was interviewing and we each had a question bank that we asked each other things back and forth; we also could critique each other if one of us was rambling or filling the space with "Uhhh."
-googling "vet school interview questions" will bring up lots of the common questions that arise during the interviews
-search the past WCVM/UCVM threads; you will be able to find lots of questions that are commonly asked in the WCVM interview
-I rehearsed (not memorized) answers for certain questions I expected to be asked and found it gave me more confidence during the interview
-review some of the position statements on the CVMA website about controversial issues (eg. declawing, rodeo, etc.)
-try to keep up with some of the key current events happening at home, in your country, and internationally

Interview tips:
-wear something comfortable and professional
-the interview is not super formal (it's more like a conversation), so don't be afraid to relax and let your personality shine
-know your application and everything you put on it; they will look at your application during the interview and ask you about your experiences
-it's okay to admit that you don't know something"; DO NOT lie or fudge an answer because they WILL call you out on it and you will bury yourself into a hole

Quality vs. quantity:
-I had minimal experience in several areas (eg. chickens, dairy cows), but I tried to at least research them a bit more to show that I did have knowledge of those areas when they asked
-even if your quantity of hands-on experience is limited in an area, try to learn a bit about how that industry works and some of the controversies in that industry

Also, don't sell yourself short. I am still surprised at how many people in my class aren't comfortable with horses because I also thought it was commonplace! But the reality is that everyone comes from such vast and different backgrounds that you will stand out in one way or another (whether it be your animal experiences, previous summer jobs, extracurriculars, personality, etc).

Sorry, this was way longer than I intended lol. Hopefully it helps a few of you WCVM interviewees out though :)

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone have any info on possible interview essay topics from previous years for UCVM? Thanks!

Does anyone have any info on possible interview essay topics from previous years for UCVM? Thanks!

We're not allowed to tell you specifics, but they really vary from year to year. Sometimes they're an ethical question, sometimes they're a more knowledge based/current events based question, sometimes they're totally random things haha. In general they're along the same lines as the MMI interview questions, so if you feel prepared for that, you should be okay for the essay.

Reactions: 3 users
We're not allowed to tell you specifics, but they really vary from year to year. Sometimes they're an ethical question, sometimes they're a more knowledge based/current events based question, sometimes they're totally random things haha. In general they're along the same lines as the MMI interview questions, so if you feel prepared for that, you should be okay for the essay.

Idk if you'll be able to clarify more, and if not I understand.

For current events, hypothetically, would they reference a current event with zero explanation/background? I've been trying to keep up with the news the past few months (more than I normally would), but my biggest fear is some super specific question with no extra context, that I'll know nothing about :confused:

For current events, hypothetically, would they reference a current event with zero explanation/background? I've been trying to keep up with the news the past few months (more than I normally would), but my biggest fear is some super specific question with no extra context, that I'll know nothing about :confused:
I doubt they would do this if anything they might ask about the corona virus.

Welcome to SDN @laughtordogtor!! :hello: I am a current WCVM student and found SDN to be a great resource while prepping for interviews, so I'll try my best to help you out!

Firstly, the WCVM interview is broken up into 3 main areas: about you/non-animal experiences, current events/social awareness, and your animal/veterinary experiences.

Preparation:
-I practiced with another friend who was interviewing and we each had a question bank that we asked each other things back and forth; we also could critique each other if one of us was rambling or filling the space with "Uhhh."
-googling "vet school interview questions" will bring up lots of the common questions that arise during the interviews
-search the past WCVM/UCVM threads; you will be able to find lots of questions that are commonly asked in the WCVM interview
-I rehearsed (not memorized) answers for certain questions I expected to be asked and found it gave me more confidence during the interview
-review some of the position statements on the CVMA website about controversial issues (eg. declawing, rodeo, etc.)
-try to keep up with some of the key current events happening at home, in your country, and internationally

Interview tips:
-wear something comfortable and professional
-the interview is not super formal (it's more like a conversation), so don't be afraid to relax and let your personality shine
-know your application and everything you put on it; they will look at your application during the interview and ask you about your experiences
-it's okay to admit that you don't know something"; DO NOT lie or fudge an answer because they WILL call you out on it and you will bury yourself into a hole

Quality vs. quantity:
-I had minimal experience in several areas (eg. chickens, dairy cows), but I tried to at least research them a bit more to show that I did have knowledge of those areas when they asked
-even if your quantity of hands-on experience is limited in an area, try to learn a bit about how that industry works and some of the controversies in that industry

Also, don't sell yourself short. I am still surprised at how many people in my class aren't comfortable with horses because I also thought it was commonplace! But the reality is that everyone comes from such vast and different backgrounds that you will stand out in one way or another (whether it be your animal experiences, previous summer jobs, extracurriculars, personality, etc).

Sorry, this was way longer than I intended lol. Hopefully it helps a few of you WCVM interviewees out though :)

That was super helpful and I kind of wish it were longer! ;) Thank you so much for all of your advice! I will definitely be taking all of it into account.

That was super helpful and I kind of wish it were longer! ;) Thank you so much for all of your advice! I will definitely be taking all of it into account.

You're welcome! Feel free to message me or post if you have any other questions that come to mind!

As far as current events go, I think they would usually give some kind of context. They aren't *really* trying to see how much you follow the news, they really want to know how you think about things and how you interpret the world around you. But I can't really say for sure haha, the faculty comes up with new and wonderful things every year so who knows :laugh:

Hey I'm a first year at UCVM and just wanted to share a general tip that I found helpful during both UCVM and WCVM interviews in the past: don't be afraid to pause! Take a moment to collect your thoughts, regroup and keep yourself from rambling or blurting out a gut reaction when you're having a hard time with a question or you feel your answer is getting off track

Reactions: 7 users