UCVM/WCVM c/o 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone! I went ahead and asked for an update and Tara Carmichael responded to me pretty quickly. She said everyone would hear by the end of this week. Somehow, I’m even more anxious. Good luck everyone!!!
Good luck to you as well!
Did she specific how international students will be notified? I'm assuming email since all previous communication has been email but I guess it could be snail mail or a phone call.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I just got the email for waitlist!

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck to you as well!
Did she specific how international students will be notified? I'm assuming email since all previous communication has been email but I guess it could be snail mail or a phone call.
She didn’t specify! I just got an email informing me I was put on the waitlist. I’m not totally sure how to feel as I absolutely hate deciding things at the last minute. If anyone has any advice on how to navigate this pls let me know ://///

Members don't see this ad :)
She didn’t specify! I just got an email informing me I was put on the waitlist. I’m not totally sure how to feel as I absolutely hate deciding things at the last minute. If anyone has any advice on how to navigate this pls let me know ://///
Same! I wish we were told what number we were on the waitlist just to estimate if we even have a chance. :(

Same! I wish we were told what number we were on the waitlist just to estimate if we even have a chance. :(
Honestly I think it’s a common practice for state schools. I might ask what my rank is tbh. WCVM is lowkey my top choice atm so I’m willing to be perceived as antsy if it means I’ll feel better about my chances. I was looking at last year’s thread and it looked like there was a decent amount of movement so hopefully this year echoes that.

Hey UCVM applicants! I know we're supposed to hear about invitations to write the CASPer test by the 26th, has anyone heard about that yet? Trying not to get too nervous, but it's getting so close to the CASPer date I can't help it!

Hey UCVM applicants! I know we're supposed to hear about invitations to write the CASPer test by the 26th, has anyone heard about that yet? Trying not to get too nervous, but it's getting so close to the CASPer date I can't help it!
@zoolforever i feel the same! I haven’t heard anything so far. I’m pretty nervous , it’s been difficult to prepare and I usually feel more motivated once an interview invite but the interview is so soon after they come out this year😬

@zoolforever i feel the same! I haven’t heard anything so far. I’m pretty nervous , it’s been difficult to prepare and I usually feel more motivated once an interview invite but the interview is so soon after they come out this year😬
I just got a rejection email from UCVM. My 4-term GPA is a 3.7, if they calculated it the same as I did, which would put me within the range of admitted applicants two years ago iirc. It's crazy to think people got admitted to UCVM in years past with GPAs below the current interview cut off.

Last edited:
I just got a rejection email from UCVM. My 4-term GPA is a 3.7, if they calculated it the same as I did, which would put me within the range of admitted applicants two years ago iirc. It's crazy to think people got admitted to UCVM in years past with GPAs below the current interview cut off.
Holy **** that is insane. I'm so sorry.

This school needs to do something else besides GPA.

I haven’t heard anything back either (my GPA is a 3.90). I know at least one person has received an invite.
Edited to clarify this is for UCVM.

I haven’t heard anything back either (my GPA is a 3.90). I know at least one person has received an invite.
Edited to clarify this is for UCVM.
Never mind! Just got an invite! Good luck everyone else still waiting!

I'm so sorry to hear that! This year has been challenging for so many, and facing rejection can be especially emotional and disheartening. It seems like the GPA cutoff to get an interview may be increasing, since it was 3.55 a couple of years ago, 3.65 last year, now I guess above a 3.7...

I agree with Snurple there is such a focus on GPA it's difficult. I got an email from the UCVM inviting applicants to a survey over the next few years on how useful the admissions process measures they collect are, so I'm hoping that means they're willing to reevaluate and make sure the process is fair and selects successful vets!

I'm so sorry to hear that! This year has been challenging for so many, and facing rejection can be especially emotional and disheartening. It seems like the GPA cutoff to get an interview may be increasing, since it was 3.55 a couple of years ago, 3.65 last year, now I guess above a 3.7...

I agree with Snurple there is such a focus on GPA it's difficult. I got an email from the UCVM inviting applicants to a survey over the next few years on how useful the admissions process measures they collect are, so I'm hoping that means they're willing to reevaluate and make sure the process is fair and selects successful vets!
Hey zoolforever I was just wondering do you know what email address they want us to email the consent form to for that research project?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my interview invite last night! Wow, that's crazy that the GPA is so high this year!! How much higher can it get?

Hey zoolforever I was just wondering do you know what email address they want us to email the consent form to for that research project?
Hey, the email address is in the interview offer document sent out (page 3). We can send it directly to Kristy, the admission coordinator--I don't know if I should post her email online but I can DM you if you can't find it :)

Does anyone know what this CASPer snapshot kit is? Looks like it's a new thing this year!

Does anyone know what this CASPer snapshot kit is? Looks like it's a new thing this year!
It's definitely new! I did CASPer last year and it didn't exist then. All I know is what can be found readily on Google. Has UCVM said it will be required? It sounds like everyone taking CASPer this year can do it, but not all schools are using it.

I think you can submit it if you think it will help your application, but it isn't a requirement. It looks like it's a little video interview station like an MMI where you are put on the spot and recorded?
It's definitely new! I did CASPer last year and it didn't exist then. All I know is what can be found readily on Google. Has UCVM said it will be required? It sounds like everyone taking CASPer this year can do it, but not all schools are using it.

I think you can submit it if you think it will help your application, but it isn't a requirement. It looks like it's a little video interview station like an MMI where you are put on the spot and recorded?
Interesting. I wonder if UCVM will even look at them 🤔. Could be worth emailing Kristy to ask about, if they haven't specified. Or just do it "for fun" regardless!

Do you do it before or after the CASPer? Or either?

Interesting. I wonder if UCVM will even look at them 🤔. Could be worth emailing Kristy to ask about, if they haven't specified. Or just do it "for fun" regardless!

Do you do it before or after the CASPer? Or either?
Looking at the info sheet they sent us, it looks like you can do it either before or after the CASPer, as long as you submit it before the CASPer distribution date, whenever that is!

Hi everyone! I'm a first year applicant to WCVM (BC resident). I'm a bit confused about everyone taking about taking the CASPer, because it doesn't say anything about having to take a CASPer on the Applicant Manual or website for WCVM. Could someone please clarify this? Thank you.

Hi everyone! I'm a first year applicant to WCVM (BC resident). I'm a bit confused about everyone taking about taking the CASPer, because it doesn't say anything about having to take a CASPer on the Applicant Manual or website for WCVM. Could someone please clarify this? Thank you.
I think the people talking about CASPer are talking about UCVM (both schools are in the same thread). :)

To my fellow domestic WCVM applicants they updated the applicant portal with the expected interview dates.

"Interviews for fall 2021 entry will take place:
- May 3-6
- May 25-28

Applicants offered interviews in the first set will be emailed early-mid April. The remaining offers will be emailed after grades for the current term (Jan-Apr) are received (app. May 17-19)."

So we have a little more waiting to do, good luck!

To my fellow domestic WCVM applicants they updated the applicant portal with the expected interview dates.

"Interviews for fall 2021 entry will take place:
- May 3-6
- May 25-28

Applicants offered interviews in the first set will be emailed early-mid April. The remaining offers will be emailed after grades for the current term (Jan-Apr) are received (app. May 17-19)."

So we have a little more waiting to do, good luck!
Yesss I came here to post this haha!

Time to start prepping!

I have seen in the past that there are banks of potential interview questions or even some sort of book, a friend (who is applying next year) and I have been sniffing around on where to find this fabled book ... any leads anyone is willing to share?

Yesss I came here to post this haha!

Time to start prepping!

I have seen in the past that there are banks of potential interview questions or even some sort of book, a friend (who is applying next year) and I have been sniffing around on where to find this fabled book ... any leads anyone is willing to share?

Ahh yes, "the book." An Introduction to Veterinary Medical Ethics by Bernard Rollins. Is that the one you're talking about?

I skipped the theory, but looked through the cases in this book and found it really helpful to prepare for the interview. Besides the interview, it's a really good read to help broaden your perspective on the ethical issues we face in the field of vet med.

Reactions: 3 users
Ahh yes, "the book." An Introduction to Veterinary Medical Ethics by Bernard Rollins. Is that the one you're talking about?

I skipped the theory, but looked through the cases in this book and found it really helpful to prepare for the interview. Besides the interview, it's a really good read to help broaden your perspective on the ethical issues we face in the field of vet med.
Aaa awesome! Thank you so much! I will look that up! :)

@bear_bear
Ha ha Yes! I trawled the old forum posts about the interviews and have taken the animal experience/community experience/CVMA issues to heart and created a google doc that I add to when I think of something :)

@DRider13
Oo Thank you, but oof that price tag.

@bear_bear
Ha ha Yes! I trawled the old forum posts about the interviews and have taken the animal experience/community experience/CVMA issues to heart and created a google doc that I add to when I think of something :)

@DRider13
Oo Thank you, but oof that price tag.
Ah, nice idea to make a Google doc with everything in one place! Yeah, I've been looking through the forum from past years too. So much good info there. Cheers and good luck!

@DRider13
Great suggestions, thank you! I think I have some leads, textbooks always make you go through some hoops but it will be worth it 🙃

Just got an email updating me on my waitlist status. Unfortunately I’m in the lower third of the waitlist so I’m definitely feeling a little discouraged, but it’s okay! Good luck to everyone who’s still waiting and congrats to those who have been accepted!!

• Care
So apparently UCVM has made it an admission requirement to complete the MCAT....
(I'm from BC so this doesn't really apply to me and my friend told me about it recently)
Anyone have any clue if WCVM is also going to make it a requirement?

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys just wondering, If I get one of my references to fill out the reference form and I don’t get in, would I be able to use the same reference form the next time I reply? Or would I have to ask my reference again to fill out another form?

Hey guys just wondering, If I get one of my references to fill out the reference form and I don’t get in, would I be able to use the same reference form the next time I reply? Or would I have to ask my reference again to fill out another form?
I'm pretty sure you have the ask your reference to fill out another form!

So apparently UCVM has made it an admission requirement to complete the MCAT....
(I'm from BC so this doesn't really apply to me and my friend told me about it recently)
Anyone have any clue if WCVM is also going to make it a requirement?
I personally don't think WCVM would. UCVM has been talking about changing the application process (and hinting about adding MCAT) for years. And they changed a lot of stuff besides MCAT. Since WCVM and UCVM seats no longer overlap at all, I see no reason WCVM would follow suit.

Reactions: 2 users

If anyone in Mb is looking to purchase the Rollins book send me a DM:)

Hi all, question From undergrad noob looking to apply to wcvm in spring2022.. from what I understand wcvm takes your gpa from your 2 years of 4 course semesters. Thus far, I have only been able to afford 3 courses/ 12-14 credits per semester,that this considered full time at my Uni so I wasn’t aware of wcvms 4 course standard until recently . (Also trying to save loans from grad school). I have taken 4 courses a semester before but the courses weren’t for credit, So I know i can handle 4 courses. I plan on taking 4 courses\16 credits in my winter semester this year but in relation to when I apply to wcvm I would have only had 2 or 3 semesters of 16+ credits. is it still worth applying with such little course experience, or should I hold off on applying until I get 4 semesters of 16+ credits? I realize on average in vet school I’m looking at over 20 credits per semester :)
Hi! I would say go for it- and apply with confidence! I applied with a mixture of 4 courses and 3 courses per term (majority was 4 courses/term and never once took a full course load of 5 courses per term). I had a little panic moment thinking I messed up and they'd never accept me at WCVM, but I received an interview offer and got in. I think what's more important is to have a competitive GPA and many varied experiences that you would be able to effectively elaborate on during the interview: small animal, large animal, exotics/zoo medicine, aquaculture, experience on a farm, sports/recreation and charity (you name it!). Show them that while taking 4-course loads rather than a full 5 courses per term, you used that extra time to volunteer and learn more about veterinary medicine. Know that experience like the back of your hand. And just a reminder for WCVM, I believe the deadline for applications is every December for entry into the upcoming school year (unless they changed this?). Good luck! :)

Looks like first round interview offers were sent out for WCVM! :) anyone else get good news?

Reactions: 4 users
Big Congratulations to the first round people!!! :)

Any guesses as to what second round cut off will look like this year? Doing some serious stressing right now lol

Looks like first round interview offers were sent out for WCVM! :) anyone else get good news?
Yes, and hoping to connect with others who have received invitations.
I'm familiar with web based interviews and generally think they are less stressful, but also harder to show personality and engage the panel.

Found this helpful (but older) video that explains how the interview affects ranking, 40:24. Note the intake # are outdated.

I have an unimpressive GPA so am bolstered by the talk. No idea about cut offs; I am under the impression that the remainder 1/3 of the invitations are reserved for students that are waiting for their grades.

Lastly, the latest email mentions upcoming virtual tour of the WCVM college and Veterinary Medical Centre (out of curiosity, who has visited the college already?) and an online Q&A session. More info to come.

Last edited:
Yes, and hoping to connect with others who have received invitations.
I'm familiar with web based interviews and generally think they are less stressful, but also harder to show personality and engage the panel.

Found this helpful (but older) video that explains how the interview affects ranking, 40:24. Note the intake # are outdated.

I have an unimpressive GPA so am bolstered by the talk. No idea about cut offs; I am under the impression that the remainder 1/3 of the invitations are reserved for students that are waiting for their grades.

Lastly, the latest email mentions upcoming virtual tour of the WCVM college and Veterinary Medical Centre (out of curiosity, who has visited the college already?) and an online Q&A session. More info to come.

From what I’ve seen in previous threads, the first round interviews are given on the basis of the top 20 academic scores, and then the second round interviews are conducted after Jan-April grades are received and academic scores are re-calculated for the next top 20, to interview a total of 40 students (for BC - numbers vary depending on province but they interview 2 people for every 1 seat). Tbh I’m not totally sure if that’s right, but I’m still in school so I’m awaiting grades still for Jan-April as well, and I’m interviewing first week of May.

Reactions: 2 users
WCVM US waitlisted student here. Has anyone heard anything back regarding their waitlist status since the 15th? I’m starting to get discouraged

I realize it is futile trying to guess academic rank prematurely, but can Someone Please Help Ease Some Of my curiosity 😂??

So Heather said an 83% cumulative is usually competitive to get an interview in Saskatchewan. The admissions stats say acceptance last year was from 80.7% + (this is overall, doesn't specify region). I am at an 82.77% cumulative, only a little higher with best full year. Seeking honestly: what do y'all think my chance of getting a second round SK interview is? May just seems so far away 😂 Thank You In Advance!
Scared Carey Mulligan GIF by Film Independent Spirit Awards

I realize it is futile trying to guess academic rank prematurely, but can Someone Please Help Ease Some Of my curiosity 😂??

So Heather said an 83% cumulative is usually competitive to get an interview in Saskatchewan. The admissions stats say acceptance last year was from 80.7% + (this is overall, doesn't specify region). I am at an 82.77% cumulative, only a little higher with best full year. Seeking honestly: what do y'all think my chance of getting a second round SK interview is? May just seems so far away 😂 Thank You In Advance!
It might be tight but you definitely have a chance! The averages vary from year to year and I think it may be a low year as I got a first round offer which I was not expecting at all, but that may just be the case for the MB pool. Either way, don't give up hope! My average was on the cusp for the last two years so I know exactly how you feel, fingers crossed for you!

Hey,

You should go check out the WCVM 2025 thread in the PreVet forums.
You will likely get a series of emails with that info in June once the Canadian students get accepted. Paige emails a list of places other vet students and staff are offering.

Im not 100% sure on that since this is the first year with international applicants, but usually June is when the rest of us get that info. :)

It might be tight but you definitely have a chance! The averages vary from year to year and I think it may be a low year as I got a first round offer which I was not expecting at all, but that may just be the case for the MB pool. Either way, don't give up hope! My average was on the cusp for the last two years so I know exactly how you feel, fingers crossed for you!
Thanks So Much :)

OMG i just saw that UCVM now requires the MCAT @_@. Has U of C lost their minds? LOL. This adds an additional barrier for people especially those from lower SES and already disadvantaged backgrounds in an already competitive process.