UF c/o 2014... It Begins!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any updates on UF, guys?

Especially for those who selected a satellite campus as their first choice, has anyone received any type of response yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Any updates on UF, guys?

Especially for those who selected a satellite campus as their first choice, has anyone received any type of response yet?

St Pete here! My application is still being processed by PharmCAS though so UF hasn't got it yet :( What about you??? I placed the main campus second and basically stated that I actually don't mind what location I am at being that there are limited spots. The only reason I have St Pete first is because I have sick and elderly family (grandparents, great aunts and uncles, cousins) nearby.

i heard the interview at UF sucks... 20 minutes of situational/ethical questions apparently.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard the same... But doesn't UF make you sign something stating that you won't talk about the interview to other people? I remember reading that in the feedback about a school and I'm not 100% sure which one though.

It must be so hard to get an interview since they only invite ~300. I'm feel like it's so competitive I'm not sure if my application would even stand out.

Any updates on UF, guys?

I've been told that if you put a satellite campus as your first choice you have a bigger chance of getting in because not as many people want it, wonder if it's really true?

I'm just finishing up my supp. application today, my last one but the hardest. I would be soo happy with UF. Plus the school is VERY cheap and the cost of living in Gainesville is lower than any other place.

It must be so hard to get an interview since they only invite ~300. I'm feel like it's so competitive I'm not sure if my application would even stand out.

I know. I admire anyone who gets one. How many apply??

I think I would prefer ethical questions on an interview actually. I always feel akward just talking about myself on interviews.

Well, I applied to Orlando as #1 but wouldn't mind heading to Gainesville either.

On the topic of which campus is easier to get in, it is really hard to debate whether applying to a satellite gives you a better shot (fewer people trying for 55 slots) or the main Gainesville campus (more people competing for 150 spots).

UF extends interviews to those they are pretty sure they'll accept anyways so they probably treat the interview selection process more seriously than other schools. I'm just wondering when they'll start sending out interview invitations for their satellites.

I know. I admire anyone who gets one. How many apply??

I think I would prefer ethical questions on an interview actually. I always feel akward just talking about myself on interviews.
The admissions lady I talked to said they average ~2000 apps a year. And I agree, I would much rather try to decipher what answer they want out of a hypothetical/ethical than to be my own sales pitchman and ***** myself out.

Oh that is so scary... 2000 applicants? What kind of stats does everyone have? Gainesville does have an amazing cost of living.

Oh that is so scary... 2000 applicants? What kind of stats does everyone have? Gainesville does have an amazing cost of living.

I was just looking at apartments. 700$ for a two bedroom place seems to be the average rate. Paying $350 in rent would be amazing, I pay $840 now. Plus, in other cities if you do find a cheap place you might be stuck living with a shady neighbours but here it's all students. I also love the idea of living in a town that has a med school, dental school etc. where you can network with other people who love to learn. I've been living in Orlando for the past 12 years and honestly I'm just seeing too much superficiality everywhere I go..

my friend has asked UF about the whole rumor, about whether or not a satellite campus is easier to get into and the lady on the phone told him that, that is not true, all campuses regardless have same standards.

I also picked Orlando as my main, but I have nto heard anything from them. I figure they are not going to give ANYBODY a chance that isn't in their "standards" :(

I was just looking at apartments. 700$ for a two bedroom place seems to be the average rate. Paying $350 in rent would be amazing, I pay $840 now. Plus, in other cities if you do find a cheap place you might be stuck living with a shady neighbours but here it's all students. I also love the idea of living in a town that has a med school, dental school etc. where you can network with other people who love to learn. I've been living in Orlando for the past 12 years and honestly I'm just seeing too much superficiality everywhere I go..

Oh geez I know exactly how you feel! I did 4 years in Miami for undergrad. I like south Florida but it's expensive for a college budget... I'm supposed to be saving money not spending tons of it LOL. My family is from down here but I would not mind going farther away for school. I didn't apply to any pharmacy schools in south Florida so it looks like I will be leaving for sure if I get in somewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
To brighten your day, they interview A LOT more than 300 applicants. They just want to end up with that many students before school starts. You have to also take into account people they interview that don't have UF as their first choice (very unlikely) as well as people applying to different types of professional programs (dental, medical, etc). A good portion of people they conditionally accept do not even finish their pre reqs in time and lose their spot as a result. If you meet their range, it is highly probable you will get an interview and, better, acceptance. ;)
http://www.pharmcas.org/collegesschools/schoolFloridapage.htm
Estimated number interviewed for fall 2009 Entering Class:
• Estimated number accepted:
• Estimated fall 2009 entering class size including early assurance & transfer seats:

Um, why would they put on PharmCAS that they only interviewed 330 last year if what you say about interviews is true? At worst, it would be dishonest. At best, its a misunderstanding about when an interview really counts.

Anyway, on AACP (http://www.aacp.org/resources/student/pharmacyforyou/admissions/Documents/PSAR1011_Table8.pdf) you get that UF has a 4.1:1 enrollment to application ratio in the 2008 first year class. If you put those two together you get over 1200 applications, over 300 interviews, and slightly over 300 enrolling with the big cutoff being before you are interviewed. In all likelihood applications numbers rose in 2009 and will again for 2010, so there is a possibility that UF might get to 2000 applications for this year.

I just mentioned that they interviewed more than 300 students. And, also, they need to take into account that many people do not get accepted based on their interview/pharmacy is the secondary career path. If the numbers were that high then there would be no point in doing an interview in the first place. I'm pretty sure the numbers for interviews were like 350 for the entering 2008 Class when I first applied. Also, Dr. McKenzie mentioned that about half of student's applications are incomplete therefore they void them. So don't let the high applicant number fool you.

Thank You! That's good to know... my application is complete so I guess I just have to worry about whether they feel I'm competitive enough. I have a high PCAT and my GPA is in the competitive range for Florida residents but not for out of state. Luckily I'm a resident but I didn't attend UF. Do you know if they favor those who took their pre-reqs at UF? Also... since your friend goes to St Pete... do you know if the social and research opportunities are similar to those you have on the main campus? I would like to be involved outside of just going to class if I happen to be offered an acceptance, but I am wondering if the students at the distance campuses stay to themselves more?

I actually attend the St. Pete campus. If you are looking for the research opportunities then you have to go to the Gainesville campus. However, you do not have to go to the main campus until your third year since the PhD program doesn't start until you are a 3PD. You should not be worried about where you got your grades from, because the majority of my classmates are USF and Community College Alums. Just make sure you have a competitive GPA, PCAT score (which you have) and are a Florida resident (which you are) to have a high chance. At the St. Pete campus it has its positives and negatives. IMO, since I have lived in Gainesville during my undergrad years, in comparison I have more time to study and relax since something is always going on in Gville. Yet, if you are into football and have tickets then you have to drive up every single weekend.

For social life, you have a mixture of people. I myself like to go out and at the same time get my work done. There are bookworms, party animals and everything in between. Also, the distant campuses have their own organizations if you want to get involved in the community. I have hung out with the Gainesville campus and they have an equally proportional turnout as the St. Pete campus in terms of social nightlife or on campus events.

Oh okay... that's good to know. That makes sense being in St Pete that most students went to USF. My cousin just graduated from there actually but he isn't in the health field. St Pete does seem a little more quiet than G-ville, but it seems like there is more of a larger city atmosphere if you ever go over to Tampa or anything like that. I kind of like the college town thing though because I did my undergrad at UM and Miami definitely doesn't have that. I am used to the city so it's alright either way. That's good the distance campuses have their own organizations. That was my main concern. I have no idea what my chances look like for any school I applied to but hopefully I get accepted somewhere. I am turning 23 in May so I don't want to wait much longer. :laugh: I used to be a big social person during the start of my undergrad and I maintained high grades, but once I started working and getting closer to graduation I stopped going out so much. I'm sort of in between... I like to hang out with people and do stuff but I'm not a huge party animal.

.in response to the number of yearly applicants...I went to the open house in Gainesville in November and Dr. Mckenzie told us that in recent years the number of applicants has decreased. he said he wasn't sure why but may be because some new schools have opened in florida. He also said that if you do get an interview, unless you are COMPLETELY different than what appears on your application, you will most likely get in

.in response to the number of yearly applicants...I went to the open house in Gainesville in November and Dr. Mckenzie told us that in recent years the number of applicants has decreased. he said he wasn't sure why but may be because some new schools have opened in florida. He also said that if you do get an interview, unless you are COMPLETELY different than what appears on your application, you will most likely get in

I noticed that you were accepted to LECOM but you are declining... if you don't mind me asking... why don't you want to attend? I am applying there as well that is why I'm curious.

Has anyone else been invited for an interview recently?

Last edited:
OH YEAH!!!! IDK if you guys know about this, but I just want you to be aware that if you get accepted, its MANDATORY to get an IPhone or IPod Touch for pharmacy school. We were the first year for it to be mandatory. No other devices can be used (i.e. Blackberry).

I did know this because a student from UF (Jacksonville) had a rotation at my job and he told me that they needed to get either of those. Then he showed me the programs they have to have on there...wicked cool!!

I noticed that you were accepted to LECOM but you are declining... if you don't mind me asking... why don't you want to attend? I am applying there as well that is why I'm curious.

It was a nice campus, brand new but it was literally just one building which was too small for me. It felt alot like high school bc of security and the dress code. Also Bradenton is a really small town and is pretty expensive. That's just my opinion though....you may like it a lot.

It was a nice campus, brand new but it was literally just one building which was too small for me. It felt alot like high school bc of security and the dress code. Also Bradenton is a really small town and is pretty expensive. That's just my opinion though....you may like it a lot.

really? What's the dress code/security like? How expensive is the housing? When I looked I didn't think it was bad.

I just turned in my application about two weeks ago and LECOM is one of my top choices. Both LECOM and UF would be the closest to home. And I LOOVE Sarasota, I always use to joke that I want to move there. My dream lifestyle once I graduate would be to work hard and then be by the beach somewhere and go out on the boat on my days off ;)

I love LECOM and its location. Its also my top choice with UF being second. My cousin and over five friends currently go there and don't have any complains so far. I am still waiting for the supplemental from LECOM.

I know what you mean about the one building... a friend of mine from high school is a P2 there now, but I have never personally visited the campus. I did my undergrad in a big city so I wouldn't mind a change to a smaller town for 4 years, but I don't mind the bigger cities either. I just want to focus on school mainly.

I wasn't aware of the dress code, but I know Nova has one too. I didn't end up applying to any south Florida schools this year though. I'm worried about getting accepted but if not I will start much earlier and apply to many more places next time.

My great aunt and my cousins live in Brandenton so I'm familiar with the city outside of the actual school. I always thought it was affordable there, but that's probably because rent was really high where I was at before. I am hoping for a really affordable place to stay when I go back to school because I don't want to be worrying about lots of bills while I'm studying. I think all of UF's locations are good for college students as well.

I don't remember exactly how much it was for housing, I may be wrong because I just drove down for the interview and went back to gville right after and didn't explore Bradenton. Each student is required to have a security badge to enter the building and you can't bring guests unless you fill out paperwork in advance. I know it's for safety but I couldn't help feeling "trapped". Also you're not allowed food and drinks anywhere but the cafeteria which was smalleR than my high school cafeteria. For the dress code it's business professional every day which is understandable but at least at nova you get the option to wear scrubs. like I said though, that's just my opinion.... The students who gave us the tour seemed to really like it. I've been at UF for 4 years so Ive gotten used to. That kind of college atmosphere

Our professor announced today that about 30 applicants have been admitted after the first round of interview. These are probably the strongest. If you have not had an interview, don't worry since there are plenty of spaces left.

Have they already had an interview yet? On UF's website it says the first interview date is January 29. Maybe it made a mistake?

Also, has anyone been invited for an interview to the St. Pete campus yet? The St. Pete campus has not even posted their interview dates yet.

Have they already had an interview yet? On UF's website it says the first interview date is January 29. Maybe it made a mistake?

Also, has anyone been invited for an interview to the St. Pete campus yet? The St. Pete campus has not even posted their interview dates yet.

I ranked St Pete first because of family reasons and G-ville second. I am wondering this as well... but I need to submit my supplemental tonight! :eek:

Our professor announced today that about 30 applicants have been admitted after the first round of interview. These are probably the strongest. If you have not had an interview, don't worry since there are plenty of spaces left.

???

I thought the first interview was Jan. 29?

I know I'm at a severe disadvantage since I'm out of state, and I only applied fairly recently. But my stats are great (3.95 GPA with a BS, 99 PCAT composite), and I do have ties to FL (I grew up in Miami, and was a Prepaid College recipient).

Do I have a shot?

Are you serious?

Here are the minimum requirements for consideration:

Current UF Students: 3.0 GPA, 70% PCAT
Florida Students: 3.2 GPA, 80% PCAT
Out of State: 3.5 GPA, 90% PCAT

other factors are taken into consideration also

I think your definitely in...lol...as long you have E.C with great letters of Rec you definitely have a seat

Last edited:
Thanks! I hadn't seen that list of requirements, but that's great news! UF is a fantastic school, and I'd love to head back to what I think of as home.

No problem...I pm'd a P1 and he told me those were the cut offs.

???

I thought the first interview was Jan. 29?

I have no idea, but the info was given to us today by our professor. He said he was busy with adcom, so office hour would be limited. Btw, he added that this year application pool was not that great as last year, no offense as I know a lot of people with great stats here. So he told us to encourage everyone we know to apply.

Maybe he meant 30 interview invites so far? I remember someone saying UF only interviews people they will most likely accept. I'm sure you would know better than I would though. I kind of like this because it would sort of make me less nervous knowing that I just had to be myself and show them I was sincere on my application. But then again it is easier to get rejected if you don't have a stellar application I would suppose?

I came back to post this as well, lol!

He said 30 were accepted but that probably means 30 were invited. He also mentioned that if you had north of a 70 PCAT and 3.0 GOA you were in good shape.

If you havent turned in your app yet, get it done! I turned in mine before the year ended and I got an invite EARLY Feb.

Are you serious?

Here are the minimum requirements for consideration:

Current UF Students: 3.0 GPA, 70% PCAT
Florida Students: 3.2 GPA, 80% PCAT
Out of State: 3.5 GPA, 90% PCAT

other factors are taken into consideration also

I think your definitely in...lol...as long you have E.C with great letters of Rec you definitely have a seat

Where did you get this info from?

I pm'd one of the P1's and he asked the associate dean at the gainesville campus and this is what he was told

Last edited:
I have a 79 PCAT (horrible reading scores) so does that mean they won't even consider my app since i didn't make the pcat cutoff?

I don't believe these cut offs are set in stone...I think if you applied early and have great letters Rec, E.C and some pharm experience you have nothing to worry about...from what sakigt said in the previous post your good ("He also mentioned that if you had north of a 70 PCAT and 3.0 GPA you were in good shape")

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. My first choice is St. Pete so I wont have to move and still work at the pharmacy. I turn in my supp app today so hopefully it not too late...

I got an interview invite for Jan 29 - which i know i should be ecstatic about...however i was assigned to the Orlando campus and Gainesville was my first choice. I went to speak to Dr. Mckenzie today and he told me that because i didnt have a "compelling" reason to go to gainesville, it was randomized and i ended up getting Orlando. He said they usually let people who already go to UF stay in gainesville...which is weird because i go to UF right now, but he said the committee might have felt like they wanted to offer the spots to people who have only spent 2 or 3 years here (I've been here 4 years and completing my degree in may). To me, this seems kind of unfair, especially since I completed my app early thinking this would help me get a spot in gainesville (apparently it doesnt matter when you complete your application).
So frustrating!!!! But I'm going to petition for the committee to reconsider and let me stay in Gainesville.....Have any current Pharmacy students had this same issue/petitioned? I'm looking for any advice I can get to make my reasons to stay in gainesville more "compelling". Thanks!

Hi, how did you guys get UFID? I am filling the supplemental application, and it requires the UFID. Do I have to submit the Pharmcas appl. before the supplemental one? thanks

Okay I believe this is what you have to do if I remember correctly... you go to the UF COP website and click of Doctor of Pharmacy program. Then you click on the pdf file for "admissions procedures". It will give you the info for pharmcas and all that... but near the botton there are two links. One link is to apply to the University of Florida in general, and the other link is the 'essay and personal profile'. You have to first apply to the university in order to get your UFID. I don't think you have to submit it right away, but you have to sign up and create a username and profile to get one. Then you can paste that into the 'essay and personal profile' application.

I created an account but i didn't get anything.
the procedure states that i dont have to apply in the listed order though.

I think what they mean is that you can complete the supplemental before you finish pharmcas because a lot of people think they have to wait. If you click on the link "University of Florida application for admission" and go to 'return to complete an application' after you've registered, then your UFID should be in the box all the way to the right after you log in. The main screen has your name, term applied, year, birthday, username, etc in boxes, and the far right box says "UFID (if known)" so maybe some people don't have one right away? If this is the case with yours and the box is blank, I would just call them whenever they open again to see what's up.

i submitted the appl. and got it. thank you very much!!!!!

I got an interview invite for Jan 29 - which i know i should be ecstatic about...however i was assigned to the Orlando campus and Gainesville was my first choice. I went to speak to Dr. Mckenzie today and he told me that because i didnt have a "compelling" reason to go to gainesville, it was randomized and i ended up getting Orlando. He said they usually let people who already go to UF stay in gainesville...which is weird because i go to UF right now, but he said the committee might have felt like they wanted to offer the spots to people who have only spent 2 or 3 years here (I've been here 4 years and completing my degree in may). To me, this seems kind of unfair, especially since I completed my app early thinking this would help me get a spot in gainesville (apparently it doesnt matter when you complete your application).
So frustrating!!!! But I'm going to petition for the committee to reconsider and let me stay in Gainesville.....Have any current Pharmacy students had this same issue/petitioned? I'm looking for any advice I can get to make my reasons to stay in gainesville more "compelling". Thanks!

I wonder if not many people put Orlando, I should have put Orlando lol. I put Gainesville and said that being the main campus I would get the chance to see/be exposed to the greatest variety of things.

But I would be so happy to be anywhere if it means getting into the school. Can I take your interview spot? ;)

Interview is on Jan. 29th!!! I applied for the Orlando campus...to be closer to home!