UF c/o 2014... It Begins!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Please explain, "one of my music students." Are you a music teacher? What do you teach?

I'm a professional bassoonist (and with that, MT2RX lays it down for the potentially forum-snooping Adcom committee who she truly is...as most likely no applicant to the College of Pharmacy in history has been a professional bassoonist...and her icon, a preying mantis playing the bassoon, is made clear).

Just for the record, I enjoyed the tangents.

Members don't see this ad.

One of my music students told me that there were seniors in her high school that wouldn't take band their last year because they didn't get the extra credits and would ruin their chances of becoming valedictorian! That kind of sucks the way it's set up.

Wow that is pretty serious (it being so competitive that they can't take a certain class)... back when I was in high school we didn't have enough AP/DE classes to fill our entire schedule, so no matter what we had to take some 'regular' level classes/electives.

Anyway... I'm glad your interview went well and I am keeping my fingers crossed for you!!!

Does anyone know if we have to submit anything to the office of student affairs regarding the malpractice insurance?

Also, what did you guys put in for the requested effective date of coverage?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to all of you who have made it! Go Gators! I will see you during football season where I will inevitably binge drink and root on the best college football team of all time. I can finally drink as much as I want with out the retribution of a pharmacology exam on the following Monday or Tuesday. Good luck guys!
To all of my Orlando Campus freshman, welcome to the black sheep segment of UF's pharmacy program. You will be thankful for it in the end, trust me.

Congrats to all of you who have made it! Go Gators! I will see you during football season where I will inevitably binge drink and root on the best college football team of all time. I can finally drink as much as I want with out the retribution of a pharmacology exam on the following Monday or Tuesday. Good luck guys!
To all of my Orlando Campus freshman, welcome to the black sheep segment of UF's pharmacy program. You will be thankful for it in the end, trust me.

Now I am scared and curious? What do you mean black sheep? Usually the black sheep of the family is the bad, undesirable one...:(

Now I am scared and curious? What do you mean black sheep? Usually the black sheep of the family is the bad, undesirable one...:(

Or, the one that has all the fun and makes everyone else jealous!

I'm a professional bassoonist (and with that, MT2RX lays it down for the potentially forum-snooping Adcom committee who she truly is...as most likely no applicant to the College of Pharmacy in history has been a professional bassoonist...and her icon, a preying mantis playing the bassoon, is made clear).

Just for the record, I enjoyed the tangents.

Glad you enjoyed the tangents. And like you, I think my identity is blown to the UF higher ups. Over my many pointless posts, I have given away way too much identifying info.

My MIT brother plays the cello and he is about as good as you can get without being a professional. In my opinion, if it were a crime to be a genious, then he would get a life sentence.

So, obviously, you give lessons. (Actually, now that I think about it, my brother has started giving lessons as well, so I guess he is a professional now.) Are you a member of any orchestras? Do you play any chamber music for fun? My father is a hard core clarinetist. He plays about 3 times a week with different groups of people. I played the flute for a few years...and I can't even read music.

Bassoon...probably only slightly more pleasing than a cello when playing by yourself. Now, saxaphone, that is an instrument...a regular one man band!

Glad you enjoyed the tangents. And like you, I think my identity is blown to the UF higher ups. Over my many pointless posts, I have given away way too much identifying info.

My MIT brother plays the cello and he is about as good as you can get without being a professional. In my opinion, if it were a crime to be a genious, then he would get a life sentence.

So, obviously, you give lessons. (Actually, now that I think about it, my brother has started giving lessons as well, so I guess he is a professional now.) Are you a member of any orchestras? Do you play any chamber music for fun? My father is a hard core clarinetist. He plays about 3 times a week with different groups of people. I played the flute for a few years...and I can't even read music.

Bassoon...probably only slightly more pleasing than a cello when playing by yourself. Now, saxaphone, that is an instrument...a regular one man band!

I used to play the saxophone and flute! My main instrument was the piano however (how boring). I played since I was 5 until I started high school but I eventually gave it up for after school activities. Is it okay to admit I actually really disliked playing music though? I can still read music (slowly) and have a few songs stored to memory, but other than that I don't practice much except for a few times per year. :(

I used to play the saxophone and flute! My main instrument was the piano however (how boring). I played since I was 5 until I started high school but I eventually gave it up for after school activities. Is it okay to admit I actually really disliked playing music though? I can still read music (slowly) and have a few songs stored to memory, but other than that I don't practice much except for a few times per year. :(

Of course I hated playing music. I thought I made that clear by saying that I couldn't even read music. If you played from age 5 to 9th grade, then I would have thought you would be extremely fluent reading music...not that I am one to talk. I guess you either have the knack or you don't. I certainly don't. Do you still own a sax and a flute? Do you ever play them? I think my flute is at my parents house. I haven't touched it in several lifetimes. Was the sax fun? It seems like such a fun insturment since it sounds so "complete."

So, obviously, you give lessons. (Actually, now that I think about it, my brother has started giving lessons as well, so I guess he is a professional now.) Are you a member of any orchestras? Do you play any chamber music for fun?

You have a very musical family! Yep, I do it all. I'm in a professional quintet, a few big orchestras in Orlando (I'll tell you all more about that later), and do quite a bit of volunteer playing. One of the reasons I have ants in my pants about school is because I have contractors ALSO waiting on the decision, lol. Luckily, they are being patient. I have taught lessons for 13 years, and because most of my current students graduated this year, I took the year off to focus on my stuff. But I still keep in touch with them on Facebook and when they come into town. Some have turned out to be some of my best friends!

I have to say cello can be the most pleasing of said instruments while playing alone, because remember, they can play their own harmony. Bassoon is boring alone, and sax--well, it's a little better because it can really project and people are familiar with it.

Tinkerbell, piano is ridiculously hard (second only to the organ, lol). The fact that you played it at all is a testament to being amazing, and I can only play a few obligatory pieces. Flute and sax....so easy compared to piano, probably a no-brainer for you. Howard prolly only played the flute to get chicks, lol! :laugh:

Howard prolly only played the flute to get chicks, lol! :laugh:

That's funny. In the middle school orchestra, there were about 17 flute players and I was the only boy. My father picked the instrument partly because one of his music friends played it and gave lessons.

Recently, my father started playing with the Shriner's band. My father is quite serious, growing up, we always watched classical music on TV on PBS during dinner.

In the car, we always listened to classical music on NPR. It is interesting because my father only listens to classical music. He has no use for jazz, opera...and certainly not for rock and roll or any "modern" music. My cello brother started on the piano and then added the cello. He still plays both. He used to go to music summer camps and one of his best friends plays professionally for an orchestra as his primary source of income (of course he gives lessons as well to supplement his income.)

Now, saxaphone, that is an instrument...a regular one man band!
For the record I enjoy your tangents as well, and from the brief time I remember you from the PCAT, I believe you talk that way in person too correct? I suppose I will see Friday!!!

I too love the saxophone as an instrument. I used to love to listen to Kenny G.

That's funny. In the middle school orchestra, there were about 17 flute players and I was the only boy. My father picked the instrument partly because one of his music friends played it and gave lessons.
So you didn't get to pick your own instrument? My daughter is excited about next year and the thought of being in band...and she has what she wants to play already in mind... PERCUSSION!!!!

As you can imagine I am already trying to think of ways to sound proof her room!!

You have a very musical family! Yep, I do it all. I'm in a professional quintet, a few big orchestras in Orlando (I'll tell you all more about that later), and do quite a bit of volunteer playing. One of the reasons I have ants in my pants about school is because I have contractors ALSO waiting on the decision, lol. Luckily, they are being patient. I have taught lessons for 13 years, and because most of my current students graduated this year, I took the year off to focus on my stuff. But I still keep in touch with them on Facebook and when they come into town. Some have turned out to be some of my best friends!

I have to say cello can be the most pleasing of said instruments while playing alone, because remember, they can play their own harmony. Bassoon is boring alone, and sax--well, it's a little better because it can really project and people are familiar with it.

Tinkerbell, piano is ridiculously hard (second only to the organ, lol). The fact that you played it at all is a testament to being amazing, and I can only play a few obligatory pieces. Flute and sax....so easy compared to piano, probably a no-brainer for you. Howard prolly only played the flute to get chicks, lol! :laugh:

I envy your talent in music, I have always loved music but somehow never was any good at it. I did play the trombone for a while, and I loved it, but nowhere near the talent described here.

And as for what is in bold....all I can say is:smuggrin:!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, are you all doing that CPR on Friday? My friend at work here is trying to convince me to come...and maybe I will just for the hell of it. Even if I don't get accepted anywhere it would come in handy. Then we can all compare notes...if we don't tick off the instructor, that is. Lol!

Hey, are you all doing that CPR on Friday? My friend at work here is trying to convince me to come...and maybe I will just for the hell of it. Even if I don't get accepted anywhere it would come in handy. Then we can all compare notes...if we don't tick off the instructor, that is. Lol!

We are definitely doing the CPR class Friday!!! And it is useful either way. Though I really feel like they are going to accept you. I think the first interview slot is a good sign!!! Though I could be reading a lot into it. I had the second interview slot when I interviewed and it was good for me!!!!

Email me if you are interested... [email protected]
Jackie, trombone is HARD to play!

I AGREE!!!

how many of us are going to be at the CPR class?

UFCOP students, it appears from the evite 16, not including our newest invite above!!! Two of those are Gainsville students...

Some people that have the CPR class already are looking at just coming for lunch which would be awesome!!

The two additional on the evite are two of my girl scouts that want to learn CPR since they are approaching babysitting age. Good kids...one of them is my daughter. Wanted to make sure we would get the discounted rate even if I had to fill the class myself!!!

UFCOP students, it appears from the evite 16, not including our newest invite above!!! Two of those are Gainsville students...

Some people that have the CPR class already are looking at just coming for lunch which would be awesome!!

The two additional on the evite are two of my girl scouts that want to learn CPR since they are approaching babysitting age. Good kids...one of them is my daughter. Wanted to make sure we would get the discounted rate even if I had to fill the class myself!!!

haha, great! i'm looking forward to meeting everyone.

Question: Do u have to complete the CPR course by July 1st or before you start classes?

Question: Do u have to complete the CPR course by July 1st or before you start classes?

On the conditional admit letter it seems to indicate in the CPR section that it is due before the first day of class, but at the top in big bold letters it is says ALL paperwork below is due before July 1.

does anyone know if we have to submit anything with our packets in regards to the malpractice insurance?

does anyone know if we have to submit anything with our packets in regards to the malpractice insurance?

I submitted a copy of the certificate that you get online, and they said all of my paperwork was complete, so I guess that's all they need. :D

Yeah I honestly think you really have to be very "in" to playing music to be the type of person who gets to the point where you are able to see a brand new peice that you have never played before and be able to read it/play it as if you've been practicing for a few days. At least on the piano anyway, which is the only instrument I played long enough to be familiar with.

I was much better at memorizing a few pieces I really liked (Fur Elise, Colors of the Wind, etc) and just playing them over and over again rather than reading new pieces all the time and learning them too.

I pretty much hated it all 9-10 years and never ever practiced. My parents said I would thank them later, but I never ended up liking it and I really thank them only because I do believe learning music at a young age helps in the learning process as far as academics/school go.

The sax was fun... I used to like it because it was so loud and I would often practice in the front yard to annoy the neighbors when I was about 11-12. I think the only song I got to the point of memorization was "Christmas Rock" but it was fun while it lasted.

I always thought the piano was the easier, but maybe I just figured that since it was the only thing I became decent at doing. I have very very small hands though which made it more difficult than normal people. (Some chords require you to span a whole octave at once and I can't reach that with my fingers alone so I always have to squeeze it in with my finger nails rather than my actual finger... but a good excuse to keep my nails long when my intructor always tried to make me cut them- because apparently you're supposed to play with the tips, and I've always played 'flat fingered')

(Some chords require you to span a whole octave at once and I can't reach that with my fingers alone so I always have to squeeze it in with my finger nails rather than my actual finger

Yes, and I cheat on those even though I have big hands, lol!:laugh:

I have very very small hands though which made it more difficult than normal people. (Some chords require you to span a whole octave at once and I can't reach that with my fingers alone so I always have to squeeze it in with my finger nails rather than my actual finger... but a good excuse to keep my nails long when my intructor always tried to make me cut them- because apparently you're supposed to play with the tips, and I've always played 'flat fingered')

You could always try what Shumann tried: "Robert Schumann devoted himself to full-time composing in part due to a hand injury sustained early in his performing career. The injury was long thought to have occurred when a finger sling he had devised succeeded, not in making his fingers more independent of each other when he played the piano, but in laming his right ring finger. Some now attribute the injury, however, to debilitating treatment the composer may have undergone for syphilis. Others suggest the injury may have occurred because Schumann deliberately cut his hand to widen the span of his fingers."

I found the above on-line. The way I had heard the story is that he cut the "webbing" between his fingers so that he could spread his fingers further apart...but when his hand healed, he could spread his fingers less far than before he cut "the webbing."

Now, that I research it for this forum, I find out it was probably just syphilis. Anyway, he attempted suicide at age 44 and after that he was institutionalized at his request until he died 2 years later.

I suppose that I can always take solace in the fact that it seems that many of the great minds (such as Van Gogh) were "crazy."

So, there is some good evidence that I am not only crazy, but a great mind as well!!! As Dennis Hopper said in the movie speed, "NO! Poor people are crazy, Jack. I'm eccentric."

So that's why his wife was having an affair with Brahms, ewww!:eek:

How did we get to infedility amongst composers?

Anyway, I went to the hospital to get my varicella titer and the Tdap that I should have gotten the first time, well when I get there I find out that they don't have the vaccine contrary to what my husband thought...so I got the titer and now I have to figure out where to get the vaccine since my doctor doesn't carry it because the insurance doesn't reimburse him for it.:rolleyes:

This is getting old.

Anyway, I went to the hospital to get my varicella titer and the Tdap that I should have gotten the first time, well when I get there I find out that they don't have the vaccine contrary to what my husband thought...so I got the titer and now I have to figure out where to get the vaccine since my doctor doesn't carry it because the insurance doesn't reimburse him for it.:rolleyes:

This is getting old.

Two choices. UF GVille or Seminole Health Dept.

http://seminolecohealth.com/Immunizations/

Seminole County Health Dept. is actually a little cheaper than UF GVille. You could probably also go to your local county's health dept...but they may not do adult immunizations, so people from vairous counties go to Seminole County's Health Dept. The main office on Airport Blvd. is under renovations, so you have to go to a temporary location on Lake Mary Blvd. ... or you can go to the Casselberry office.

I think the Lake Mary is 540 W. Lake Mary Blvd, but I'm not sure. If you call them, just keep trying until you get through.

Note for children of "school age" all of the immunizations are free. I think I paid around $60 for Tdap...now that I think about it, I should have lied about my age and said I was 12 years old. I keep my 43 year old body in good shape and I pobably could have pulled it off!

Back to the music stuff, relating to MT2RX's comment: "I have to say cello can be the most pleasing of said instruments while playing alone, because remember, they can play their own harmony. Bassoon is boring alone, and sax--well, it's a little better because it can really project and people are familiar with it."

I checked with my cello playing brother and he said, "any instrument that can play 2 notes (or more) at once can supply it's own harmony. piano and harp are the best at it. string instruments are fair (as they can play 4 notes at once) but most wind instruments can only play one note at a time."

MT2RX, I guess you already knew that. I enjoy singing by myself in harmony because I hear several voices simultaneously in my head...but unfortunately they are all tone deaf. I wish I could get them to stop!

OK, PharmD folks, here is your first test question. I am a 43 year old male. Why did I start taking Prenatal Vitamins???

(Just to make it a more fair question, I will tell you that my wife was taking them before and during her pregnancies with our children and she doesn't take them anymore and there was a huge bottle left.)

For some reason I can't find the waiver for the meningitis vaccination... does anyone know where I could find it?

Also, I noticed on the immunization sheet there is a space for titers for hep b and MMR. I received both of these vaccinations a while ago (when I was a child). Do I need to have to get titers taken for these? Thanks!

OK, PharmD folks, here is your first test question. I am a 43 year old male. Why did I start taking Prenatal Vitamins???

(Just to make it a more fair question, I will tell you that my wife was taking them before and during her pregnancies with our children and she doesn't take them anymore and there was a huge bottle left.)

hm, well I know pregnant women take prenatal vitamins mostly for the folic acid. folic acid is a cofactor that donates methyl, methylene, and formyl groups and it is involved with nucleotide and amino acid synthesis (serine, glycine, and a few others). pregnant women take this to ensure that the fetus will have the proper levels of both of these building blocks. do you have some sort of deficiency in the biosynthesis of THF from folic acid? adding more FA would hopefully drive these reactions forward and thus yield more of the product THF.

For some reason I can't find the waiver for the meningitis vaccination... does anyone know where I could find it?

Also, I noticed on the immunization sheet there is a space for titers for hep b and MMR. I received both of these vaccinations a while ago (when I was a child). Do I need to have to get titers taken for these? Thanks!

They sould both be good for life. You would only need the titers if you did not have any records (proof) that you had them. Then, you could get a titer instead of getting new shots.

The waiver for the meningities is on the same form as all the vaccines. You just sign below section A which states:
I have read the information provided on the instruction sheet and I decline receipt of vaccine for Meningococcal Meningitis.​

There is also a line for Hepatitis B which can be waived for students who are NOT going into a health related field. So, we MUST get the Hep B.

By the way, you would be a fool to take my word for it about the MMR and Hep B being good for life. To confirm, call the UF Student Health Care Center at (352) 392-1161. Best to get that information from the source since you have so much riding on it.

But, if my opinion means anything to you, then the MMR and Hep B are both good for life...however, you may see some diminished protection over time...so to protect yourself more, you could get new shots...but as far as UFCOP or any other official requirements go, you are good for life.

They sould both be good for life. You would only need the titers if you did not have any records (proof) that you had them. Then, you could get a titer instead of getting new shots.

The waiver for the meningities is on the same form as all the vaccines. You just sign below section A which states:
I have read the information provided on the instruction sheet and I decline receipt of vaccine for Meningococcal Meningitis.​

There is also a line for Hepatitis B which can be waived for students who are NOT going into a health related field. So, we MUST get the Hep B.

By the way, you would be a fool to take my word for it about the MMR and Hep B being good for life. To confirm, call the UF Student Health Care Center at (352) 392-1161. Best to get that information from the source since you have so much riding on it.

But, if my opinion means anything to you, then the MMR and Hep B are both good for life...however, you may see some diminished protection over time...so to protect yourself more, you could get new shots...but as far as UFCOP or any other official requirements go, you are good for life.

lol, thank you for clarifying this for me in the most circuitous fashion possible!

Seminole County Health Dept. is actually a little cheaper than UF GVille. You could probably also go to your local county's health dept...but they may not do adult immunizations, so people from vairous counties go to Seminole County's Health Dept. The main office on Airport Blvd. is under renovations, so you have to go to a temporary location on Lake Mary Blvd. ... or you can go to the Casselberry office.

I think the Lake Mary is 540 W. Lake Mary Blvd, but I'm not sure. If you call them, just keep trying until you get through.

Note for children of "school age" all of the immunizations are free. I think I paid around $60 for Tdap...now that I think about it, I should have lied about my age and said I was 12 years old. I keep my 43 year old body in good shape and I pobably could have pulled it off!

No one in the world would mistake me for a 12 year old, especially if I bring my 11 year old daughter with me. The outpatient center at my husband's work suggested we try the Take Care clinic in Walgreen's since they are contracted with my insurance.

You paid SIXTY for it? My doctor said he wouldn't do it because the shot costs him $30 and the insurance only reimburses $17...I think you got robbed.

MT2RX, I guess you already knew that. I enjoy singing by myself in harmony because I hear several voices simultaneously in my head...but unfortunately they are all tone deaf. I wish I could get them to stop!

Dually noted, please make sure you introduce us to all the voices in your head tomorrow so we know which personality we are dealing with it (is it the personality that thinks all cat's are aliens or the personality that thinks it can fly...these things are always good to know).

Because you wanted your hair to be thicker and more lusterous?

http://shcc.ufl.edu/medical/pdf/acl-002a.pdf

It is really small, but the waiver is right below the box that shows when we got the vaccines. And as I understand it, we only need the vaccines or the titers. Does anyone else know for sure?

Is any one planning on going to the Q & A session on June 28 for the St. Petersburg campus?

MMR- Required for EVERYONE born after Dec. 31, 1956. This combination vaccine is often given because it protects from measles, mumps, and rubella. Two does are required for entry into UF. One must have been received at 12 months age or later and in 1971 or later. The second dose must have been received at least 30 days after the first dose and in 1990 or later as per CDC guidelines. OR Measles (Rubeola)- two doses are required. One must have been received at 12 months of age or later and in 1968 or later. The second dose must have been received at least 30 days after the first dose and in 1990 or later. Rubella (German Measles)- One dose is required. One dose at 12 months of age or later and in 1969 or later.

I'm not sure if that answers the MMR question for you. Luckily I got both in 1991 and I am just trying to get the documentation for it. I have spent so much money on immunizations and titers so far ($73 Jackie for my TDap at Centra Care by RDV Center). My insurance doesn't cover these things. Health Department was just a little cheaper but you can't make an appointment there. Anyway, see some of you tomorrow at the CPR class. One more thing to check off the list!

lol, thank you for clarifying this for me in the most circuitous fashion possible!

Too funny!!! At a previous job I once had, a coworker told me that I always answer a question with as many words as possible...instead of a 1 sentence answer, I go on and on and on...

MMR- Required for EVERYONE born after Dec. 31, 1956. This combination vaccine is often given because it protects from measles, mumps, and rubella. Two does are required for entry into UF. One must have been received at 12 months age or later and in 1971 or later. The second dose must have been received at least 30 days after the first dose and in 1990 or later as per CDC guidelines. OR Measles (Rubeola)- two doses are required. One must have been received at 12 months of age or later and in 1968 or later. The second dose must have been received at least 30 days after the first dose and in 1990 or later. Rubella (German Measles)- One dose is required. One dose at 12 months of age or later and in 1969 or later.
($73 Jackie for my TDap at Centra Care by RDV Center). My insurance doesn't cover these things. Health Department was just a little cheaper but you can't make an appointment there. Anyway, see some of you tomorrow at the CPR class. One more thing to check off the list!

Good catch on the MMR, so it is good for life...only if you got it after 1990...and maybe next year they will change the requirement to after 1991? And, each year, increase it by a year?

You don't need an appointment at the health dept. I was in and out.

By the way, apparently, I do NOT have TB, so I can sleep better knowing that!!!

All good answers on the Prenatal Vitamins.

The answer is that the operative word is "Vatamins." I take them as a multivitamin since they are paid for. These are over the counter prenatal vitamins. The only difference versus the prescription ones is that the prescription ones have a lot more folic acid. So, my wife took the Prenatal Vitamin, and some extra Folic Acid pills.

Surprisingly, these prenatal vitamins only have 100% of the DV for folic acid. I was expecting more.

Anyway, all they are is multivitamins. One theory is that if the doctor said, take a multivitamin...people would blow it off. But, if the doctor says, fill this prescription then people will take them more judiciously...plus the extra folic acid is key...in fact they started requiring folic acid to be added to enriched "white bread" only because pregnant women don't get enough of it.

Also, they will tell you to start taking prenatal vitamins a few months before you get pregnant, but you can start when you get pregnant. They only say that as a just in case you get pregnant a little before you were planning to. The folic acid is Super Duper Crucial during the first few weeks of the pregnancy and Super Crucial after that.

Anyway, extra folic acid is good for anyone since it is used in making new cells and we all make new cells every day. A fetus, that much more so.

good news...

one of my friends who just graduated from the orlando campus that DID NOT match for a residency got two job offerings: a clinical position at a small hospital north of gainesville and a retail job at a target in the suburbs of orlando. there is hope!

Hey guys,
Sorry for changing the subject, however, I was wondering if any of you have found any cheap encryption software out there. The brand that UF COP recommends is $150.

One of our regulars at the pharmacy told me I looked 14... :(

and when I volunteered at Miami Children's Hospital the security guard tried to stop me from going to the community resource office because he didn't think I was old enough to volunteer (age 16+)... double :(:(

I am 23.