UF c/o 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is true, and I don't mean to sound insensitive. But I think UF was my #1.

Sorry NStarz, I was really pulling for you, I know how bad you wanted UF. But like everyone else said, it's not the end of the road. I know you would like to make a decision soon, but wait as long as you can! You just never ever know! I have my :xf: for you!!!! :luck::luck::luck:

Members don't see this ad.

in..... can't wait to meet you guys.... this class is going to effing rock

Accepted! but good news for those of you on the waitlist, as I'm probably going to decline for MSU or NCSU :D --in state, btw.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed!! Anyone taking animal science/animal nutrition at UF this summer?

I may be taking animal science, have not decided between doing that or just doing it online.

Congrats everyone who got in! Has someone started a facebook group, or does someone want to start one?

has anybody not heard anything yet? i was one of the people in the early interview but told to wait until they interviewed everybody else...

has anybody not heard anything yet? i was one of the people in the early interview but told to wait until they interviewed everybody else...

I would give Jonathan a call. As far as I know all of the notifications went out yesterday.

Congrats to everyone accepted! If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me. I was torn between attending UF and Minnesota last year so I know how hard the decision can be!

I would give Jonathan a call. As far as I know all of the notifications went out yesterday.

Thanks! I just called him and apparently he forgot to push send on the batch of early interview/alternate emails

What's up guys - has anyone looked into/taken online versions of Animal Science and Animal Nutrition? Just looking for any feedback on your experience. I'm trying to get started on them now so I can play this summer!

What's up guys - has anyone looked into/taken online versions of Animal Science and Animal Nutrition? Just looking for any feedback on your experience. I'm trying to get started on them now so I can play this summer!

I took Animal Nutrition through Oklahoma State and enrolled as soon as I got accepted for the same reason you're trying to get started. UF says that you have to have it done by the first day of Orientation usually but doing just nutrition wasn't very difficult. If I didn't slack off, I probably could've finished it in less than 8 weeks. I ended up taking longer than that but it really wasn't difficult.

Members don't see this ad :)

Hmmm... I hadn't thought about that, but I like the idea of being able to play this summer too! I guess I just assumed I would take it at UF since I've already done a couple of post bacc classes here. I had no idea you could take online classes and finish them at your own pace. That would be awesome!! I thought you could only take them like spring semester (which would already be too late now) or summer (which I might as well just take at UF anyway). If anyone has more information on where to take them, how much they cost, and how they were- that would be great! I'll look into to Oklahoma state, and doesn't NCSU have an online animal nutrition class?
Thanks!!

Hmmm... I hadn't thought about that, but I like the idea of being able to play this summer too! I guess I just assumed I would take it at UF since I've already done a couple of post bacc classes here. I had no idea you could take online classes and finish them at your own pace. That would be awesome!! I thought you could only take them like spring semester (which would already be too late now) or summer (which I might as well just take at UF anyway). If anyone has more information on where to take them, how much they cost, and how they were- that would be great! I'll look into to Oklahoma state, and doesn't NCSU have an online animal nutrition class?
Thanks!!

Oklahoma State has both animal nutrition and animal science. They're distance learning so you have to wait for the exams in the mail and then mail them back. They're not difficult, but the mailing time prolongs how long the classes will take.

Anyone else trying to decide between schools? I'm almost sure of UF, but also considering Ohio State. Any one deciding between these two? Any one who chose UF- what was the ultimate deciding factor?
I was definitely very impressed by the UF facilities, but am trying to make a well rounded decision.

Anyone else trying to decide between schools? I'm almost sure of UF, but also considering Ohio State. Any one deciding between these two? Any one who chose UF- what was the ultimate deciding factor?
I was definitely very impressed by the UF facilities, but am trying to make a well rounded decision.

Talk to NStarz... trying to make the same decision lol

I'm in the same boat. I'm at such a loss! My top choice was NCSU, but I was rejected. For those of you with UF as your top choice, what do you love about the school?

I had the same decision to make and chose UF mainly because of the In-state tuition. I want to go mixed animal, and Ohio state's Food animal hospital and case load was really impressive on the tour, but I decided that if i chose any school over my in-state school it would have to be for an opportunity or program i felt UF couldn't offer me. I don't feel that there was anything for me that particularly put Ohio State leaps and bounds ahead of UF. I didn't think it would be worth the extra $120,000 and move to Ohio. Hope this Helps!

I am OOS for both UF and Ohio, so that isn't a factor for me.
Right now, honestly I think the overall vibe and feeling of the school is the most important, and whether you see yourself being there (and being happy/sane there).

Can a current vet student give some information about the SCAVMA required texts for some of the courses.... I'm a little confused..... as a student, do you join the SCAVMA and then purchase the notes through them? Do you have to print them yourself? How do you join?

Also, is there any equipment we're required to have the first semester? for example a microscope, stethoscope, dissection kit, etc..

Can a current vet student give some information about the SCAVMA required texts for some of the courses.... I'm a little confused..... as a student, do you join the SCAVMA and then purchase the notes through them? Do you have to print them yourself? How do you join?

Also, is there any equipment we're required to have the first semester? for example a microscope, stethoscope, dissection kit, etc..

You get printed and bound notes from your SCAVMA rep for each class and pay for it all at the end of each semester. You don't HAVE to join SCAVMA but I think you get a small cut in the cost of notes at the end of each semester if you are a member. They will send you info on how to join once you come to school, don't worry.

SCAVMA will provide you with a dissection kit for anatomy but you may want to buy some extra blades because you go through the 6 they give you very quickly. Otherwise, no equipment is needed first year. You are welcome to purchase a stethoscope, however, they usually offer you a chance to try them out and order at a slightly reduced cost at the end of first year.

thanks, bearby! I'm sure I'll have some more questions in the coming days... I'm starting to get anxious waiting for some sort of welcome packet to arrive in the mail...

So according to my FB stalking ;), there are three of us from my high school (about 4 hours from G-ville) who will be in the class of 2016! Kind of cool! :)

Sadface! I got on the alternate list. Florida was really going to be my top US school...it has such a good zoomed program!

Anyone have any guesses on how long it might take for them to start inviting the alternates? I would definitely go if I got in, but I need to reply to Edinburgh by May 1st and I wouldn't want to accept and then say "Oooh, ACTUALLY...."

Sadface! I got on the alternate list. Florida was really going to be my top US school...it has such a good zoomed program!

Anyone have any guesses on how long it might take for them to start inviting the alternates? I would definitely go if I got in, but I need to reply to Edinburgh by May 1st and I wouldn't want to accept and then say "Oooh, ACTUALLY...."

I wouldn't worry about accepting and then withdrawing your acceptance. It happens all the time. I accepted both offers that I got last year so that I would have the time to really decide. The date that people have to accept or decline their acceptance for US schools is April 15th so I would expect that alternates would begin hearing around then and can hear up until school starts, basically. Like I said, even if there's a deposit, I would go ahead and accept Edinburgh if you haven't heard anything around mid-April just because one of two things can happen. 1) You get in to UF and lose your deposit to Edinburgh but the amount of the deposit is miniscule in the grand scheme of things...or 2) You don't get into UF and you've already secured your spot at another school.

Good luck

1) You get in to UF and lose your deposit to Edinburgh but the amount of the deposit is miniscule in the grand scheme of things

I could be wrong because I didn't apply to Edinburgh, but I seem to remember friends from last year saying the deposit was quite large. Firenze, you could call Jonathan when it gets closer to the deadline for Edinburgh's deposit, explain your situation to him and he will hopefully be able to tell you approximately where you are on the alternate list. He doesn't like to give out the alternate list info, but if you're going to lose a hefty chunk of money he's likely to work with you.

I could be wrong because I didn't apply to Edinburgh, but I seem to remember friends from last year saying the deposit was quite large. Firenze, you could call Jonathan when it gets closer to the deadline for Edinburgh's deposit, explain your situation to him and he will hopefully be able to tell you approximately where you are on the alternate list. He doesn't like to give out the alternate list info, but if you're going to lose a hefty chunk of money he's likely to work with you.

Jeez, I just looked it up...that's a bit ridiculous. Jonathan will do his best to work with you so I agree with Chinola. My situation it was only $500 lost.

So through looking on the forum I saw that some OOS were waitlisted for Florida. I though Orsini said only IS werw waitlisted and they offered more posistions to OOS knowing that students will decline. Maybe Im wrong. Also, does anyone know if IS and OOS are on the same waitlist?

:(

So through looking on the forum I saw that some OOS were waitlisted for Florida. I though Orsini said only IS werw waitlisted and they offered more posistions to OOS knowing that students will decline. Maybe Im wrong. Also, does anyone know if IS and OOS are on the same waitlist?

:(

They are not on the same waitlists. There are waitlists for both IS and OOS separately. Hopefully that clarifies.

I'm trying to pick out a laptop for school and would like an opinion. is UF apple friendly or is it better to go with a PC?

I'm trying to pick out a laptop for school and would like an opinion. is UF apple friendly or is it better to go with a PC?

Either is fine. The only thing I've noticed is sometimes the people with Macs have a hard time logging on to our course sites...but that's been a transient problem that is usually corrected quickly once identified.

Hi violetnight17!

I'm trying to make the same decision too!!! NCSU was my top choice but i was waitlisted... so i'm waiting to hear back from them. But i got accepted to UF, Ohio State and Auburn so i'm trying to decide between those 3! I am currently a UF undergrad student but I am considered OOS since I live in Maryland. So the money isnt really a deciding factor in all this... did you make any decision yet or have any suggestions?! thanks so much!! :)

Hi violetnight17!

I'm trying to make the same decision too!!! NCSU was my top choice but i was waitlisted... so i'm waiting to hear back from them. But i got accepted to UF, Ohio State and Auburn so i'm trying to decide between those 3! I am currently a UF undergrad student but I am considered OOS since I live in Maryland. So the money isnt really a deciding factor in all this... did you make any decision yet or have any suggestions?! thanks so much!! :)
Hi DVMDreamer-
Haven't made a decision yet. If you do the math for us out of staters, Ohio will be cheaper. I have looked up the cost of living, and some sites say they would be about the same for both Columbus and Gainesville, but it really seems like Gainesville is less expensive and -correct me if I'm wrong- from what I saw there seems to be nice and affordable housing EVERYWHERE!
I have heard more about Ohio and its great reputation, but thats probably because I live closer to Ohio than Florida.I would also be concerned with the huge increase in OSUs class size this year (although I know UF is doing the same-just not as big- could be wrong though).I was also impressed by the brand new , clean, awesome looking facilities at Florida. Ohio has a larger caseload, but I am not positive exactly what I want to do, and I think both schools have great opportunities for everything, so thats not a deal breaker either for me.
I honestly just personally LIKED the vibe of Florida more, even though everyone is telling me the heat is not worth it and unbearable. So, right now, I really want UF but logically Ohio may be the better choice. Still struggling with both- those are just my thoughts right now. Any and all feedback and opinions are always helpful.

Also, I'm sure this was answered at some point, but does anyone know if its possible to get in state tuition eventually at UF? I know in the past it was possible based on these threads......?

You are no longer able to get IS tuition at UF. It was changed a few years ago. Sorry :(

For all those who currently live in Gainesville...would you say the town is pretty bike friendly? I have been looking at some apartments off of Archer and was wondering if it would be pretty easy to ride my bike to the vet school from there. Thanks!

For all those who currently live in Gainesville...would you say the town is pretty bike friendly? I have been looking at some apartments off of Archer and was wondering if it would be pretty easy to ride my bike to the vet school from there. Thanks!

Gville is very bike friendly. I personally walk. I live 0.5 miles from my door to the door of the vet school. A lot of my classmates ride their bikes or take the bus to class.

I honestly just personally LIKED the vibe of Florida more, even though everyone is telling me the heat is not worth it and unbearable.

The heat is amazing if you ask me! Granted, there are a few days where it's way too hot in July and August but overall it's amazing. I guess it matters if you like hot or cold better. I'd pick sweating over freezing any day. That's why I came to Florida from NJ for undergrad :D

The heat is amazing if you ask me! Granted, there are a few days where it's way too hot in July and August but overall it's amazing. I guess it matters if you like hot or cold better. I'd pick sweating over freezing any day. That's why I came to Florida from NJ for undergrad :D

I'm the opposite of Chinola, I would much rather be cold than hot. You can always put on more layers if it's cold, but if it's hot...once you're naked, you're screwed...and probably arrested.

That being said, I've lived in Florida my whole life and while I really dislike the heat, I could've left here to go to vet school somewhere else but decided to stick it out. In reality, it's only 4 years of your life so even if you don't like the climate it's not the end of the world. I wouldn't base your decision on the temperature since you're inside most of the time anyway...

I am from Minnesota and was accepted into my IS school as well as UF. Both schools would provide very similar opportunities, but I loved UF and have a gut feeling that I would be happier there. The only factor getting in the way of my decision is the cost of OOS tuition.
People from OOS- why did you choose UF over other schools? I am also curious about the quality of life outside of vet school. I know Gainesville has a huge undergrad population, but how does the town cater to graduate and professional students?

I am from Minnesota and was accepted into my IS school as well as UF. Both schools would provide very similar opportunities, but I loved UF and have a gut feeling that I would be happier there. The only factor getting in the way of my decision is the cost of OOS tuition.
People from OOS- why did you choose UF over other schools? I am also curious about the quality of life outside of vet school. I know Gainesville has a huge undergrad population, but how does the town cater to graduate and professional students?

I'm IS so you may not even want my opinion, but if you ask me, you can't base your decision on other peoples decisions. Each person in each class chose UF for one or a number of reasons that are specific to them. Whether the factors were certificate programs and special interests or being a huge gator football fan, there is no right or wrong reason to choose UF. The thing about the difference in tuition is...the amount you pay back after you graduate depends on how much you make, not how much you took out, and right now whatever hasn't been paid back after 25 years is forgiven. I know the larger debt load seems scary but lots of people do it at every school.

That being said, some of the things about the school that I think draw OOS people are the aquatic animal medicine program, the shelter medicine program, zoological medicine (we're really close to a lot of places that house cool animals and there's no telling what they're going to see each day - from tigers to bald eagles to elephants to turtles), the climate, and the curriculum (you get about 2 years of clinics instead of just 1, and the way it's set up helps you decide what "track" you want).

As far as catering to graduate students, I'm not really sure what you're asking about. UF has about 36k undergrads but like 16k graduate and professional students as well (med, vet, dental, pharm, masters, phd). There are apartment complexes everywhere so finding one with the right vibe that's most conducive to your success is pretty easy. There's always stuff going on...even in vet school, uf is still a party school. What specifically are you looking for Gainesville to do for graduate students?

IMHO it's smarter to go with your wallet than what your "gut" may be telling you, because those feelings can wear off quickly. In the end you will have the same degree just from a different school, and I think in the long run staying out of massive debt is beneficial. This is something many of mentors have preached to me over and over. Plus Minnesota is ranked 9th in the country and UF is ranked 12th, I'm really not sure how much faith to put in these rankings, but based on the US News Rankings criteria it is a "better school". (No offense to UF, UF is a great school too!) I try to look at things from a very logical prospective, so I hope this helps!

Last edited:
IMHO it's smarter to go with your wallet than what your "gut" may be telling you, because those feelings can wear off quickly. In the end you will have the same degree just from a different school, and I think in the long run staying out of massive debt is beneficial. This is something many of mentors have preached to me over and over. Plus Minnesota is ranked 9th in the country and UF is ranked 12th, I'm really not sure how much faith to put in these rankings, but based on the US News Rankings criteria it is a "better school". (No offense to UF, UF is a great school too!) I try to look at things from a very logical prospective, so I hope this helps!

The rankings don't matter much (and a little bogus if you ask me), but if you really truly believe in rankings, than 3 spots isn't gonna make a difference to anyone. And I agree with going with your wallet. Just like mentioned above, you'll have the same degree, and spend less time paying it off. I was personally all set on going to Auburn even though it costs more because I love the school, but for 17K more a year, I'm not so sure that would be smart. I am planning on attending FL (IS) and to be honest, I'm not a fan of the city of Gainesville, but that's where my state's vet school is, so that's where I'll be! Best of :luck: on your decision!

I am assuming the answer to my question is a yes, but does anyone know if UF students have free access to VIN?