UF c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else struggling with the diversity statement? I honestly have no idea what to write about.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I had some D's in my chem and C-'s in other prereqs so it brought my GPA down. I was able to sit down with a woman named Nicole in admissions ( she's on the website) she said to me, look if you couldn't do it I'd tell you to get out of my office right now. I've retaken most of those classes and gotten an A or B in all courses C or lower. Was also working a full time vet internship while doing so. Lackluster was due to my grandfather dying through my last two semesters ( I was taking care of him) and my house being flooded out before that ( living in friends houses/basements). I did put that in my explaination statement that my friend Tessa died during my retakes and it did not effect them. I learned from the last time.

Thank you for your response! I am sorry for the loss of your friend and grandfather. It sounds like you made up for a few bad grades though by retaking them.

I heard GRE is a big thing Florida cares about?

Thank you for your response! I am sorry for the loss of your friend and grandfather. It sounds like you made up for a few bad grades though by retaking them.

I heard GRE is a big thing Florida cares about?

UF looks at your academic and your experience heavily from what I have seen and heard. Its not a what do I have to focus on, more of a what can I do to make myself well rounded. If you have a 4.0 but no veterinary experience, you are going to have to make up for that. If you have a lacking GPA but good LOR's and experience you are going to have to try and do what you can to make up for that in other areas.

I think most vet colleges are that way.

Im probably the worst person to talk about it, frankly if i get in it will probably be a miracle. I'm prepared to keep working and apply next cycle if I don't. I don't know how well I'll do on the GRE on the 22nd and my application is pretty much riding on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else struggling with the diversity statement? I honestly have no idea what to write about.
So am I but Im making headway with this mind map of sorts

What have you done experience wise that you think sets you apart?
What skills has this experience given you? How will you use them to be a better vet/vet student?

I think the overcoming roadblocks is best put in your explanation statement and thats what is tripping me up.

Reactions: 1 user

What skills has this experience given you? How will you use them to be a better vet/vet student?

I think the overcoming roadblocks is best put in your explanation statement and thats what is tripping me up.

I wrote about my childhood and overcoming adversity, I flip-flop between thinking it's great and awful. It is what it is :shrug: we'll see what happens.

The thing is, I answered those questions in my personal statement, for the "what unique experiences have prepared you/what do you have to offer" parts. And the only thing I've really had to overcome is the overarching theme of my personal statement. I definitely understand the difficulty of not using something from your explanation statement. I guess I'll just have to get creative!

UF looks at your academic and your experience heavily from what I have seen and heard. Its not a what do I have to focus on, more of a what can I do to make myself well rounded. If you have a 4.0 but no veterinary experience, you are going to have to make up for that. If you have a lacking GPA but good LOR's and experience you are going to have to try and do what you can to make up for that in other areas.

I think most vet colleges are that way.

Im probably the worst person to talk about it, frankly if i get in it will probably be a miracle. I'm prepared to keep working and apply next cycle if I don't. I don't know how well I'll do on the GRE on the 22nd and my application is pretty much riding on it.

The only real downfall is the GRE for me. I'm hoping that won't matter that much!

The thing is, I answered those questions in my personal statement, for the "what unique experiences have prepared you/what do you have to offer" parts. And the only thing I've really had to overcome is the overarching theme of my personal statement. I definitely understand the difficulty of not using something from your explanation statement. I guess I'll just have to get creative!

Ya exactly, everything I would want to say is already in my PS!

Anyone who applied here in the past have insight?

Definitely riding the struggle bus for this essay. The only thing that makes me diverse isn't really something I feel like discussing and can come off boohoo and whiny which I definitely don't want. This site was helpful in pointing out some areas of diversity that I didn't originally think about, maybe it can help you too.

http://www.collegebasics.com/college-planning-2/37/138-are-you-diverse-enough-to-stand-out.html

Definitely riding the struggle bus for this essay. The only thing that makes me diverse isn't really something I feel like discussing and can come off boohoo and whiny which I definitely don't want. This site was helpful in pointing out some areas of diversity that I didn't originally think about, maybe it can help you too.

http://www.collegebasics.com/college-planning-2/37/138-are-you-diverse-enough-to-stand-out.html

This is a great link! I love what it says in the "under-represented section" - it really offers up a different perspective. I managed to get mine finished the other day, but it was definitely one of the most challenging essays I've written. I hope you can finish yours without too much frustration!

Raw gre v157 and Q145 yeah not even wanting to apply im screwed. I knew id do bad without accommodations, probably would have been worse without tutoring. Struggled to get the math done in time..ADD sucks. I can do clinical and real life work fine..timed tests..ugh im already planning on how to get accommodations set up in time for next cycle.

Last edited:
Raw gre v157 and Q145 yeah not even wanting to apply im screwed. I knew id do bad without accommodations, probably would have been worse without tutoring. Struggled to get the math done in time..ADD sucks. I can do clinical and real life work fine..timed tests..ugh im already planning on how to get accommodations set up in time for next cycle.

Im sorry Hatter :( That verbal is good though!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Im still applying just prepared for rejection. I still have round 3000 vet hours and around 2k animal. My lors are good and my verbal was over their average. Im just not looking foward to redoing this again.

Last edited:
Im still applying just prepared for rejection. I still have round 3000 vet hours and around 2k animal. My lors are good and my verbal was over their average. Im just not looking foward to redoing this again.

Hey don't worry a little thing like Quant GRE won't break you, how's your GPA?

Hey don't worry a little thing like Quant GRE won't break you, how's your GPA?

It wasnt pretty but I retook anything less than a c and some cs ( 8 courses )to get A's and B's so its probably a lot better. My math was cs I was in ese classes before working my way up into regular so my math has been behind. I was honors in hs but yeah putting that bit in my explanation segment.

My quant was supposed to make up for that but 147 is actually good for not having accommodations.

In a real world setting I deal well with my add. I do functional electrical stim treatments by myself, do multiple jobs at one time during joint injections on horses ( hold twitch..hit the ultrasound button and take a needle off with my teeth. ) but on standardized tests especially math, I struggle. I say this because a lot of folks go well then you wont get extra time in the real world..in the real world im not doing a standardized test.

Im hoping the fact im making it clear that I want to do production and equine, and not small will help me. Goats and horses are my life.

Last edited:
It wasnt pretty but I retook anything less than a c and some cs ( 8 courses )to get A's and B's so its probably a lot better. My math was cs I was in ese classes before working my way up into regular so my math has been behind. I was honors in hs but yeah putting that bit in my explanation segment.

My quant was supposed to make up for that but 147 is actually good for not having accommodations.

In a real world setting I deal well with my add. I do functional electrical stim treatments by myself, do multiple jobs at one time during joint injections on horses ( hold twitch..hit the ultrasound button and take a needle off with my teeth. ) but on standardized tests especially math, I struggle. I say this because a lot of folks go well then you wont get extra time in the real world..in the real world im not doing a standardized test.

Im hoping the fact im making it clear that I want to do production and equine, and not small will help me. Goats and horses are my life.

I think you still have a great shot! I hope so, because my GPA isn't pretty either ;). They will look at all your experiences and see that you are really dedicated! Besides, science GPA and Last 45 GPA weight just as much don't they? Since you retook classes, I'm sure your last 45 is good. I have a feeling you'll do great Hatter!

How did y'all do the pre-requisite course sheet? Did you fill it out as a PDF, or print, fill out, and scan?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I'm filling it out as a PDF, and having someone take a picture of me in a buisness shirt for the picture. Found out my main LOR vet had been approached to be on the admissions board. She can't because she's working on a book we did disections for ( distal limb ultrasound) but she said each vet has 45-60 packets to look through. She advised me to be pretty concise with my PS and DS because they are going to be wiped out come the end of that stack.

I'm filling it out as a PDF, and having someone take a picture of me in a buisness shirt for the picture. Found out my main LOR vet had been approached to be on the admissions board. She can't because she's working on a book we did disections for ( distal limb ultrasound) but she said each vet has 45-60 packets to look through. She advised me to be pretty concise with my PS and DS because they are going to be wiped out come the end of that stack.

Did you have any AP credit? I'm not sure how to fill out the ones I had AP credit for

Did you have any AP credit? I'm not sure how to fill out the ones I had AP credit for

If I remember correctly, there should be instructions either in the online supplemental or at the bottom of that page that say what to do with AP classes.

It didn't, explicitly. It just told us the classes they take. I called them!

I have AP history credit ( 5 whoohoo) I just called UF because I saw they needed 4 credits for Biochem and I almost died. They said theirs includes the lab and that a three credit lecture course still counts. Thanks UF you about gave me a heart attack.

However I was short a credit and took American history I over but yeah the AP credits are confusing.

Last edited:
So I filled it out as a PDF, and the comments aren't showing on the VMAS portal when I click on it. So you might want to print and scan.

Have you tried downloading Adobe Acrobat Reader DC? It's free and lets you add text anywhere you want, then you can save it an upload it. It's kind of a pain in the butt but it works!

It didn't, explicitly. It just told us the classes they take. I called them!

Oh, you're right! I must've been thinking of the actual VMCAS or another supplemental. For my UF sheet, I just put "AP credit" for institution and grade, then left year taken blank.

PS kinda done..My vet mentor has been putting them through the ringer. I have had to trash 3 diversity statements and yes I have been brought to tears. I'm trying to use my interest in food animals and equine to set me apart. There are not a lot of folks who want to do food animal, but it was my first choice since we lost a sheep because no vet in the area would work on sheep and our normal vet was out of town. The ewe died convulsing in my arms. After a few more cases elsewhere of we can't come out we don't do goats or sheep I kinda chose what I wanted to do. Horses came because they were the closest small animal I could get experience with and I worked at a rescue where I ended up doing most of the minor medical and taking care of 32 horses. I never want to see another case of rainnrot ever again ( any of you all who do equine know what I mean) . I worked there and a better rescue that had their own cattle,goats, and chickens they raised to pay for the rescue costs.

Trying to make that pretty is my issue and I'm unsure if I should put in my ADD and the vet experience since I already put that in my PS.

About AP credit I emailed them and this is what they said "You may put AP for the grade, the instruction that accepted the AP course for instruction, and for the year you will put the year it was accepted."

About AP credit I emailed them and this is what they said "You may put AP for the grade, the instruction that accepted the AP course for instruction, and for the year you will put the year it was accepted."

Awesome, that's much clearer. Thanks!

I have AP history credit ( 5 whoohoo) I just called UF because I saw they needed 4 credits for Biochem and I almost died. They said theirs includes the lab and that a three credit lecture course still counts. Thanks UF you about gave me a heart attack.

However I was short a credit and took American history I over but yeah the AP credits are confusing.

So I just reread your post like 6 times cause it gave me that same heart attack thinking that I needed a lab credit! Why is this process so stressful?!

So I just reread your post like 6 times cause it gave me that same heart attack thinking that I needed a lab credit! Why is this process so stressful?!
I called the admissions office in a total panic and got a chuckle on the other end. They said the sheet was talking about their biochem which includes a lab. They don't require the lab for pre-req so a 3 credit hr course is just fine. Hell my biochem course 75% was an A grade, I'm not retaking that. I pulled that up from a C- the first time I took it to a B (74..so close). As much as I like biochem, I was waking up and writing out the equations from memory. I saw mechanisms in my sleep :eek:.

I'm taking it this semester online (like legit just started it today) and I already hate it. I graduated 3 years ago and decided to finally apply to vet school this year and it's basically the last pre-req that I never took in undergrad. It feels like orgo is coming back to haunt me.

I'm taking it this semester online (like legit just started it today) and I already hate it. I graduated 3 years ago and decided to finally apply to vet school this year and it's basically the last pre-req that I never took in undergrad. It feels like orgo is coming back to haunt me.
If you have any issue PM me I can help a bit with how to study for that monstrosity. You want to grab that gen chem one and two textbook you couldn't resell or go look at Khan academy. Go over thermodynamics, the acid base stuff, and the rate laws. Most people fail biochem because they take it so far off from genchem but if you go over that you should be fine. Orgo comes in with the mechanisms but they aren't that hard. Seriously love biochem though, it will help you understand micro so much better and I understand Laminitis in horses more because of it.

What did everyone use for the professional photos part

What did everyone use for the professional photos part

My best friend is a photographer by hobby, so I had him take a head shot of me. Didn't pay to get one professionally done, but I've heard that's okay.

My friend agreed to take mine, shes a professional photographer so hopefully it works. Im so ready to be done with this app.

My statements are done :soexcited:. The two besides my explanation statement

I'm halfway through with mine... I'm not entirely sure what to put- my ideas are basically done

My vet may or may not have been hounding me and telling me to scrap them a total of 5 times. I'm still trying to make my explanation one clear and concise. I'm just hoping it's all enough.

What helped me was doing an outline and then filing it in from that. My diversity one just came to me after way too much coffee and a two page rant of my frustrations I then promptly erased.

Last edited:
Hey so for anyone that plans to take ansci and nutrition in the summer - how do you enter this on the pre-reqs page??? Should I just put the UF down?

Hey so for anyone that plans to take ansci and nutrition in the summer - how do you enter this on the pre-reqs page??? Should I just put the UF down?

On the prereqs page You simply list the University you plan to take the courses at, and put planned in the grade section.

Can I turn in the vmcas before uf's app?

You can submit programs individually, but I'm not sure if you can turn the vmcas part in separately if Florida is your only program
Uf has their own on their website that im doing as well but Im waiting on paperwork for it.