UGA c/o 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Random question, what is the dress code for you guys?
There really isn't a dress code. On days that you have anatomy lab (which is usually 3-4 days per week), most people wear scrubs all day. On days without lab, it's totally up to you... most people wear t-shirts and shorts/ jeans/ leggings on these days and that's totally acceptable.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Is it true they are only accepting 15 at-large applicants during this cycle??

Reactions: 1 user

I believe that we have 15 OOS, non-contract seats in our class. That doesn't include the 19 South Carolina contracts, 2 Delaware contracts, and international students. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)

Wow, that is super discouraging. I’m OOS from Ohio and if I would’ve known they only accept 15, I probably wouldn’t have applied haha

Wow, that is super discouraging. I’m OOS from Ohio and if I would’ve known they only accept 15, I probably wouldn’t have applied haha

Dont get discouraged. I did a little research when I was applying and the majority of vet school have 15-20 OOS students in the class. So it’s not just Georgia. You never know what’s gonna happen. :)

Don't be discouraged. I'm from Delaware and was originally an OOS non-contracted seat (someone dropped theirs so I have the contract now). I know it's hard to see right now, but you never know!

AAVMC has a chart on the vmcas info page with how many seats each school has for in state, contract, and out of state. Lots of schools will also list stats of the current class on their website and those usually also have how many they take.
https://www.aavmc.org/assets/site_18/files/vmcas/geninfo.pdf
Dont get discouraged. I did a little research when I was applying and the majority of vet school have 15-20 OOS students in the class. So it’s not just Georgia. You never know what’s gonna happen. :)
Most schools have more than 15-20 OOS spots, with a lot having a good bit more and some accepting more OOS than IS, so not sure where you found those numbers...

AAVMC has a chart on the vmcas info page with how many seats each school has for in state, contract, and out of state. Lots of schools will also list stats of the current class on their website and those usually also have how many they take.
https://www.aavmc.org/assets/site_18/files/vmcas/geninfo.pdf

Most schools have more than 15-20 OOS spots, with a lot having a good bit more and some accepting more OOS than IS, so not sure where you found those numbers...

Thats why i said “most” and those schools were the ones I am applying to. Yes i know some accept more than that, for example, Oklahoma State accepted 48 OOS last year and Illinois I believe accepted around 60 OOS. When I looked at these numbers I looked at the vet school’s website.

Thats why i said “most” and those schools were the ones I am applying to. Yes i know some accept more than that, for example, Oklahoma State accepted 48 OOS last year and Illinois I believe accepted around 60 OOS. When I looked at these numbers I looked at the vet school’s website.
Yeah but it’s NOT most. It’s like max 10 schools. Most schools do accept a lot more OOS than 15-25 students.

Yeah but it’s NOT most. It’s like max 10 schools. Most schools do accept a lot more OOS than 15-25 students.

I apologize for my wording. I don’t want this to spiral into anything. I just wanted to give someone some encouraging words in not to lose hope because some schools only accept a small amount of OOS because I have felt the same way last cycle.

I apologize for my wording. I don’t want this to spiral into anything. I just wanted to give someone some encouraging words in not to lose hope because some schools only accept a small amount of OOS because I have felt the same way last cycle.
I do appreciate encouraging people to still be hopeful, but you were spreading misinformation about what most schools take. If most schools only took that many, then everyone would REALLY be SOL since there’d be only like 500 or so seats for OOS students ANYWHERE. Which are even ****tier odds.

I do appreciate encouraging people to still be hopeful, but you were spreading misinformation about what most schools take. If most schools only took that many, then everyone would REALLY be SOL since there’d be only like 500 or so seats for OOS students ANYWHERE. Which are even ****tier odds.

When rereading my previous my post I can see where you are coming from. When I said that most accept that much I was referring to the schools that I am personally applying not all the vet schools combined. I should have specified that in my initial post. I apologize if my previous post was mis worded but at the end of the day lets not lose hopeful or get discouraged when applying to vet school

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I just got notified that one of my references was emailed to set up a phone call!

I just got a general update email! No email about my references though :/

Reactions: 4 users
Did your reference tell you this???
Sorry let me clarify! Lol. My reference is the one who notified me that they were contacted, not the university. I did however just receive an update email from the university.

Reactions: 2 users
Do they contact every single person who wrote you a rec or just like 1 or 2?

Do they contact every single person who wrote you a rec or just like 1 or 2?
I think it's usually one or two, but some people get three called. They have a lot of people to go through, so I don't think they would do more than three if you had more people write you letters. Also guys, they said by the end of February and that is officially three weeks away now :)

I think it's usually one or two, but some people get three called. They have a lot of people to go through, so I don't think they would do more than three if you had more people write you letters. Also guys, they said by the end of February and that is officially three weeks away now :)

Last year I received my decision email right after Valentine’s Day (that Friday). Is the reason they are saying its end of February this cycle because there was an increase in the number of applicants? Or do they always say the decision email get send out end of February?

Last year I received my decision email right after Valentine’s Day (that Friday). Is the reason they are saying its end of February this cycle because there was an increase in the number of applicants? Or do they always say the decision email get send out end of February?
They probably did get an increase in applications just like everywhere else did (ugh). Last year they said mid-late Feb and we got our emails on the 16th. They have been saying late February for a while now, so I'm not expecting much until probably like Friday the 22nd.

Last edited:
thanks! yeah one vet texted me that she "got the email" but another one didn't so I was confused. And yeah if I could guess when we would get the decision letters I would think the 22nd. Historically it's been on Fridays! Good luck to everyone:banana:

I talked to Parker Moore today and he said that they will most likely finish making decisions on the 22nd and send out letters on the 25th.

Reactions: 7 users
Yes sorry I meant letters by email!

Did all of you get an email on Monday saying the cycle was almost finished and decisions were going out soon? I know I saw one person say they did, but three of my IS friends never received this email. Just thought it was odd?

I got the email and I am OOS
Did all of you get an email on Monday saying the cycle was almost finished and decisions were going out soon? I know I saw one person say they did, but three of my IS friends never received this email. Just thought it was odd?

also got it OOS!

I got it and I’m IS! Also had a lor writer get a call from admissions.

I got an email and one of my references was called as well. I’m IS!

Ah man, only another week or so until we know.

Can a current student tell us a little bit about scheduling? When do classes start? When are breaks and how long are they?

Does anyone know if we find out through only emails or do they also do phone calls?

Does anyone know if you make it to this point in the cycle if your reference will definitely be contacted?

Does anyone know if you make it to this point in the cycle if your reference will definitely be contacted?
From what I've heard, they usually contact references for applicants they're on the fence about. They don't call for the top applicants or for the bottom ones, just the folks in the middle.

From what I've heard, they usually contact references for applicants they're on the fence about. They don't call for the top applicants or for the bottom ones, just the folks in the middle.
Per the website:
UGA : CVM DVM Selection Process

"The College of Veterinary Medicine does not conduct interviews as part of the admission process. The Admissions committee will call and interview one or more of the candidate’s references, asking a standardized set of questions. Based on the candidate’s academic credentials, the faculty file evaluations, and the interviews with the references, the Admissions Committee selects Admitted Candidates and Alternates."

Edit: They don't call references of applicants who are definitely out, but I believe they call at least one of all who make it to this point. The exception may be the few outstanding OOS students who are accepted early or for applicants who have applied multiple times and whose references have been contacted in previous years.

Per the website:
UGA : CVM DVM Selection Process

"The College of Veterinary Medicine does not conduct interviews as part of the admission process. The Admissions committee will call and interview one or more of the candidate’s references, asking a standardized set of questions. Based on the candidate’s academic credentials, the faculty file evaluations, and the interviews with the references, the Admissions Committee selects Admitted Candidates and Alternates."

Edit: They don't call references of applicants who are definitely out, but I believe they call at least one of all who make it to this point. The exception may be the few outstanding OOS students who are accepted early or for applicants who have applied multiple times and whose references have been contacted in previous years.

Yeah from what I’ve been told it’s definitely a good thing for your references to be called!

Reactions: 3 users
I did not receive that email... makes me very nervous

Does anyone know the date we’re supposed to find out? I saw someone said possibly next Monday. This wait is killing me :help:

Does anyone know the date we’re supposed to find out? I saw someone said possibly next Monday. This wait is killing me :help:
Parker Moore came to my school last week for a UGACVM info session and he said it would “more than likely” be the last week of February. He said it will definitely be before March, and it won’t be a Friday this year.

Reactions: 8 users
Parker Moore came to my school last week for a UGACVM info session and he said it would “more than likely” be the last week of February. He said it will definitely be before March, and it won’t be a Friday this year.
Hopefully on the 25th then!

Can a current student tell us a little bit about scheduling? When do classes start? When are breaks and how long are they?

First year is usually 4 lectures in the morning (8a-12p) with an hour lunch and then either one lecture and/or lab in the afternoon lasting between 2 to 4pm. At UGA, you get Wednesday mornings off (most weeks) as your "wellness Wednesdays".
8-4 is about regular for both semesters of first year, and it starts to be variable as your progress.
During second and third yeary some days you'll get out at noon and some days you'll get off at 5pm. But the anatomy classes and labs are a bulk of the hours first year. I've rarely felt that I've been at school for so long that I wasn't able to complete everything I needed to do that day. It's really about time management to keep up with stuff but also to keep yourself sane.

Hope that's helpful.

First year is usually 4 lectures in the morning (8a-12p) with an hour lunch and then either one lecture and/or lab in the afternoon lasting between 2 to 4pm. At UGA, you get Wednesday mornings off (most weeks) as your "wellness Wednesdays".
8-4 is about regular for both semesters of first year, and it starts to be variable as your progress.
During second and third yeary some days you'll get out at noon and some days you'll get off at 5pm. But the anatomy classes and labs are a bulk of the hours first year. I've rarely felt that I've been at school for so long that I wasn't able to complete everything I needed to do that day. It's really about time management to keep up with stuff but also to keep yourself sane.

Hope that's helpful.
Do you get summers off??

Do you get summers off??

Yes, there's opportunities for externships, research, and such but it's not required.
I don't get an official summer break this year (3rd year) because I'm going into clinics next week and won't have a break until graduation in 2020.

Also, at UGA the vet school goes back sooner that general UGA for some reason. I think we went back January 2nd after Christmas break past two years and rest of UGA was 7th or so. Not too much of a difference, but still kinda stinks.

I did not receive that email... makes me very nervous
I got this email on February 4th, is this the same one?

Thank you for your continued patience during our admission process. We are in the final stages of this cycle, and plan to have decision letters emailed to you by the end of February. Please note that the University of Georgia does not conduct interviews as part of the admissions process. Thank you for your interest in our program.

Reactions: 3 users
I got this email on February 4th, is this the same one?

Thank you for your continued patience during our admission process. We are in the final stages of this cycle, and plan to have decision letters emailed to you by the end of February. Please note that the University of Georgia does not conduct interviews as part of the admissions process. Thank you for your interest in our program.

Yes thats the email. I found mine in my junk email

I'm really starting to lose my mind. I need to know!

Reactions: 5 users