UGA CVM c/o 2016 hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the words of advice. I do plan on doing the review.
It is my first try. Do you think your chances go up in successive years or not? I hear that your chances are better the 2nd time you apply but have also hear that the further you are out of school, the less favorable it is. Everyone seems to Have a different opinion. I do plan on applying one more time next year.
I'll be working for a vet this year and hope that the extra experience looks good on the application.
Thanks again.

Well, I was told by veterinarians and professors that have seen a lot of grads get accepted and denied over the years that the second application cycle seems to be the most successful. That being said, I took a year off of school after graduating to gain more experience before I applied and *All* of my advisers told me waiting to apply was a terrible idea for my application because "the longer you are out of school, the worse it looks." One of my lors let me see some of his lor and he went so far as to bluntly point out all of the reasons I waited a year after finishing undergrad to apply the first time. He said he wanted to make sure that adcoms knew i had very practical reasons for waiting to apply so they wouldn't hold it against me. Thus, I feel like multiple application cycles work favorably to a degree, but only if you can explain what you have done to strengthen your application. I assume that they think the longer you are out of school, the less "fresh" certain materials are in your mind. And thus, the more you will have to relearn when you begin school.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do people know their rank on the waitlist? If not when do people start finding out?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, yes, April 17th is what I was told.

Thanks! This is what I thought but a friend told me that they knew someone who said they were number one on the waiting list :confused: thought maybe there was more than one waiting list!

Thanks! This is what I thought but a friend told me that they knew someone who said they were number one on the waiting list :confused: thought maybe there was more than one waiting list!

Hmmm...unless they know someone who knows someone who knows someone. :) To my knowledge they haven't given that info out yet. However, I imagine they must have the list ranked already. Also, I believe there are different lists depending on whether you're in-state, at-large, or a contract state.

Received my official letter 2 weeks ago! Did not expect early acceptance at all. Icing on the cake really. Good luck to everyone out there. Hope to see some you in the fall!!

Received my official letter 2 weeks ago! Did not expect early acceptance at all. Icing on the cake really. Good luck to everyone out there. Hope to see some you in the fall!!

That's awesome! Congrats! I hope I can meet some of you guys next semester!

Hey waitlisters-has anyone heard anything from UGA? I called and left a message early this week and received no response. This is the kind of thing I have experienced with them all admission cycle long. I have never received a return call or email from them regarding anything. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else? Or if UGA is just ignoring me specifically.:confused:
My friend that applied last year said she had only the best contacts with the admissions office, not sure what I'm doing wrong.....

I'm not an applicant, but have emailed them a few times. Usually u get really quick answers, but lately they've been much slower. In still waiting for an email also.

I was told through email that they will not be releasing the wait list rankings until April 17th(commitments are due by April 16th). I'm not sure why we have to wait so long since all applicants have been evaluated and ranked but those are the rules..

CanHardlyWait, I doubt admissions is ignoring you personally :) For me, in the past, contacting/hearing back from admissions has been either a hit or a miss. I'm sure right now is busy for them...I think open house may be coming up soon...so that could explain some of it. turd ferguson, idk why we have to wait to find out our rank on the wait-list. I wish we didn't have to...I think it'd make the waiting much easier. On the bright side, we only have to wait about another 3 weeks for our number.... :eek:

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. It may be just me. I have never gotten any responses from the admissions office at UGA, whether about an email that I sent or a call that I made.
It helps to know others are waiting it out also. I got in OOS in Virginia but I would go to UGA if accepted because I'm a contract student from SC. I just dislike waiting to plan the move and all. I know it's whiny of me, sorry.

Members don't see this ad :)
To anyone who was accepted or knows the answer: I was told the c/o 2016 has a Facebook page now.. Does anyone know where it is? :-/.

I found a page you can like, but couldn't find the actual group..

I will do it when I get back to my laptop!

UGA Page

This is just a page that everyone can like. It says there that they have a closed group also, but I couldn't find it.

anybody else counting down the days till the 17th??

Congrats to everyone who got in so far!

I made an offer on a house today and am hoping to hear back soon. I would have two or three extra rooms that will be rented out. If anybody is interested, send me an e-mail and we can talk about it as soon as I hear back from the current owners. :)

(I prefer older students, because they hopefully won't be partying as much. haha I figured vet students will be quieter, because they have tons of stuff to do, too)

anybody else counting down the days till the 17th??
Yes!!! I've accepted OOS but would take a UGA offer because it is my contract state and has MUCH lower tuition. It's so hard trying to decide if should sign a lease in VA (where I've been accepted) and if my husband should start looking for a job. ARRG! I almost hope that I'm super low on the waitlist so that I can just go ahead and plan already!
Sorry to be so whiny about a problem I'm sure many of you would love to have. At the end of the day, I'm going somewhere and I know I should just be grateful.:oops:

Hey everyone!!! Don't forget to call and get your waitlist numbers...maybe ya'll will have better luck than me... :luck:

Sorry kittkat, but you never know. There could be some serious wait list movement:xf::xf::xf:

I called and got my number for SC contract. It's high enough to have a chance and mess with my mind as I plan to move to VA. So it's back to the ambiguous waiting.
On a positive note, she actually answered the phone when I called-a first.

Does anyone know the usual time frame in which the first wait listers are offered acceptance? The school has been unnecessarily cagey with information(almost comically so). The beuracracy in Kafka's 'The Castle' comes to mind..

I just got in a few weeks ago and was wondering if anyone has been getting information from the school (i.e. orientation info...). Im looking forward to meeting you all soon...feel free to messege me so I can get to know my future classmates! Any tips for living?

So hey, does anybody still need housing? My offer on a house just got accepted and I am looking for roommates! If anybody is interested, just send me a PM and I can tell you where it is and whatever else you would like to know! I'd prefer vet students over random UG students, because you will probably be quieter like me, because you also need to study. :)

Does anyone know the usual time frame in which the first wait listers are offered acceptance? The school has been unnecessarily cagey with information(almost comically so). The beuracracy in Kafka's 'The Castle' comes to mind..

Are you IS? Typically the list moves most the end of April and throughout May. However, they will keep making notifications as they arise. I've heard of people getting calls a week or two before classes start. If I were you I'd probably check back with Laura Leigh about once a week maybe via e-mail to see where you stand. Unfortunately, it's hard to say how many get pulled off the waitlist because it's different every year.

Just for the sc contract students, i found out i'm #1 on the waitlist for the sc spot and just talked to laura and she said the class is currently full. i'm going to accept if something happens but right now it seems the class is full at least for the sc contract.

Just for the sc contract students, i found out i'm #1 on the waitlist for the sc spot and just talked to laura and she said the class is currently full. i'm going to accept if something happens but right now it seems the class is full at least for the sc contract.

Thank you for posting. I'm #5 but on SC waitlist but have been accepted elsewhere. I've been really anxious as I prepare to move, getting a lease and everything, while worrying that UGA will call me at the last minute. Glad to hear the class is full and the #1 is still interested (sorry other waitlisters), now I can just plan on with less to worry about. Thanks again!

Glad to help. I wish I could do the same - I've been accepted OOS elsewhere but have decided that I am waiting to hear back from UGA before making final commitments like finding housing, ... I don't know the odds I'm waiting on, starting to feel like it's not going to happen but who knows.

I wish you luck! And if you need last minute housing for UGA, just message me. ;)

If it's any help to you I'm number 2 on the in-state alternate list and I haven't heard anything. They sent out that email last week asking us if we are still interested which I hope means they have some spots to offer and they are refining the list.. but who knows.

Has anyone else who was rejected gone for their review meeting?

I did and felt like I got fed a load of total BS. "Oh, I cant imagine why you didnt get in this year. You should have. You are sure to get in next year."

What crap. You have no idea how I will stack up against next years applicants. You have no idea about what I may do this year while I'm waiting. You really dont have a clue about why I didnt get in this year if all you say is you cant imagine why I didnt get in.

I understand the urge to be positive, but there is a difference between being positive and shoveling a load of "manure" at me. I think I am more angry than anything.

My meeting is coming up next week. I am going in person this year and plan on bringing all of my papers, etc, and being very direct because last year I got the "you're a good candidate and everything is great" speech. This year I talked to a pre-vet advisor there and got the "I don't know why you didn't get in" speech because everything he suggested I had already done. So....yeah. WHAT do they WANT? Hoping for some answers this time.

"i dont know why you didnt get in" sounds like their basic line and its a cop out. The bottom line is that it may not be anything you did or didnt have. Its just that others looked better.

I dont think there may be anything to do differently. I dont think there is any one answer. Unless you have a seriously deficient GPA or scores or bad references, I doubt they can tell you why. I think we have all worked hard to be competetive. Its just that some are more competetive than others and thats life.

In theory, the meeting is a good idea. But when you actually look at it, its just to make you feel better. Like someone cares. Getting expectations up by saying "you should have gotten in" or "you'll definately will get in next year" is not good.

I've been told before that Uga uses a point system to compare applicants and determine who is admitted. In that case, there may be no defined reason adcoms can pinpoint that an applicant was not admitted. An applicant might have a competitive GRE, GPA, and experience but still not quite stack up against other applicants in points.

It would be ideal if Uga released an idea of what goes into the point formula that they are using to compare applicants. That would eliminate all the guess work. I don't really understand why parts of the admissions process have to be so top secret.

Last edited:
The sectret part is to keep us guessing!!
It probably is done to give them some control over the proceedings. Even if someone has high points, but are known to be someone they dont want, it would be easy to not admit them and you'd never know.
As long as they arent keeping people out due to race, gender, nationality etc, its their call.

I think that for maybe 90%of the rejected applicants, they cant pinpoint a specific reason. Rather, you just arent as good as the others.

I think the thing that really bugged me was telling me I would definately get in next year. I think that is just ethically wrong. No one knows that nor should they say that.I cant believe UGA condones doing that (or at least I'd like to hope they dont).

Hey people, I am a grown up. Tell me the truth. I can take it. Dont tell me stories so I wont feel bad. This is real life, not kindergarten.