UHS Class of 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Russell,

I am interested in sharing a house because I want to be wise with my spending.
Have you already purchased the house? If yes, can you please tell me how far itis from campus and describe it. How much will a room cost?

When is yor family going to move in with you? I am a devoted christian black male if you don't mind.
Take care

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys just wanted to drop my stinking no good for nutten soon to be DMU attending head in here and say hi.

HI
:p

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everybody!!

Just wanted to let you all know that I broke a school record for my softball team by having pitched 7 innings with 14 strikeouts. Just thought this little note would bring us out of the dungeons of SDN!!
hahaha

Talk to you all later!

Vanessa

I was just wondering if anyone else out there was having to decide; roomates or no roomates?

Here's my beef for both.

To roomate:
1.) Cost of living is essentially .5 or some similar factor less than living alone.
2.) Social interaction, comradre` and study partners, provided they are all med students.
3.) People to watch each others back on pets, and task like holding the other end of the board or couch . . . :laugh:

Not to roomate:
1.) Your schedule is the only schedule to work around (ie. sleep, study, music, drink, mess, clean, etc.)
2.) There is no number two, but number one almost deserves repeating again. :)

Synopsis: I have lived with roomates for 6 years and can say that I am quite good at it. Having lived in complete pigstie fraternity's (and houses) to immaculate well ordered apartments, I have become quite acostomed to just about anything; and anybody! I think my old and current roomates would agree that I'm about as easy to live with as they come. However, I am currently in a job where I must be in the lab by 6:00 am everymorning. This requires me going to bed at ~9:00 so I can be up by 5:00. My roomates, and the rest of the normal world go to bed at 11:00 pm. This leaves me good and sleep deprived by the end of each week.

I can say with 100 percent confidence that the person that lives above me right now . . . can play the intro to almost every pop rock song known to man, but somehow is quit bad at guitar beyond that. I'm reminded of this nearly everytime I'm looking for peace and quiet. :rolleyes:

While these things are part of school in general, I would most like to have the best of both worlds, and as of right now, I can't see an obvious solution in mind. So . . . anybody's feedback would be great. I'm about as broke as bad kitchen china, so I have limits.

I'm going to look around KC for living conditions the weekend of 3/8 and 3/9.

Anybody else out there feel my pain? Thanks, John

Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to welcome you all to UHS. It has been a wonderful experience for me. Tougher than I ever imagined, but great. (Talk about sleep deprivation!!!! :rolleyes: ) And you won't believe how fast it goes. Seems like just a month ago that I was on here in your shoes, but now we are almost done with our first year!

Just thought I'd comment on the White Coating Ceremony. They encourage your family support, so last year they didn't limit the number of people we could invite. I'm sure that wouldn't be any different for your class.

Good luck to all of you! Can't wait to see you around campus next year.

- Tammy

(p.s. Hilary, Mary, etc...I remembered my password! Can you believe it...I haven't been on here since last summer! ha! ha!)

Thought I would throw in one more comment...on living arrangements.

If any of you have kids and are worried about school districts (or have big pets and need reasonable rent), you might check out River Oaks apartments in Parkville, MO. It is 14.8 miles from campus and while it is not extravagant, it's not bad either. I pay $570/mo for a 2BD/2bath apartment, plus there is a weight room, playground, sand volleyball court, swimming pool and laundry room. (You can also get washer/dryer hook-ups if you live on the ground floor.) The school district is great and you can have up to 2 large pets.

I think you can find them at www.forrent.com, which is a good website to limit your search anyway.

Let me know if I can help any of you!

- Tammy

Thanks for the feedback, I'll certainly check out those apartments when I come down in a couple weeks. I'm curious . . . just how long does it take to get to campus from 14 miles? half hour????
thanks, John

Hey Jbear,

It takes 20-30 minutes depending on traffic. There are a couple of alternative routes available for days when I-29/35 is backed up, so it's really not too bad of a drive.

If I can help you with anything, let me know!

- Tammy

Hello, I am a UHS class of 03 too. I was kind of afraid that I won't get into Century Tower and so I was wondering where can I look for apartments other than Century Tower. Also, I think it would be great to have a roommate that is a MSI just like me. Anyone interested? If so, please e mail me at [email protected]

Does anyone know if UHS pays for a Board Review Coarse for its students like some other DO schools? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wolverine,

I know our 2nd years are in a Kaplan course right now, which is optional. I am pretty sure it is included in tuition. If I am wrong, hopefully someone will correct me.

Another thing, during our regular lectures, many professors will point out items that have been known to appear on boards in the past. They recommend we keep a separate notebook for "board pearls" to refer to when we are studying at a later date.

- Tammy

PrettyMean,

There are so many places to choose from!!! I would recommend going to www.forrent.com. On this website, you can choose things that are important to you...such as having a swimming pool, weight room, pets, laundry hook-ups, etc. I believe you can also type in a radius of UHS' zip code to narrow the search to a certain area. This will help you to find a place that meets your requirements.

I haven't seen too many MS-Is or IIs posting, so I'll give you some names of complexes I have heard people talk about...Camden Passage (I think that's the name...it is right off I-29 and Highway 45 in North KC), Bennington Ridge (north also), Pinnacle (close to school and cheap), River Oaks (north also).

Are you guys working with the apartment locator people? Jennifer was very helpful last year. Let me know if you need her e-mail. I think I probably still have it.

Hope this helps.
Tammy

Hello Tammy, thank you for the conscientiuous reply. :) Forgive my ignorance, but who is Jennifer? What does she do? And yes, if she can help me I would very much like to have her e mail also.

Again, thank you.

Hey guys...I'm disappointed in you! You were falling to the bottom of the thread! AREN'T YOU STILL EXCITED?????? :D

Tammy, I was tired of talking to myself so I shut up for a while. But believe me, I am very excited.

Hopefully you knew I was just razzing you anyway! <wink> I take it upon myself to give everyone a hard time! ha! ha!

for all of you fortunate people that have already been accepted congrats! How long after your interview did you have to wait for a decision??

Hey newfocus,

Have you interviewed??? I'm a first year and it took about a week to find out.

Best of luck! Hope to see you here next year!

- Tammy

I am a first year as well and it took less than a week for me to find out. I remember those days when I would go to the damn mailbox everyday awaiting eagerly to get accepted somewhere..........

Man, Tammy, why don't you just stop going to class and join the next years class since you are always on here talking to them???? :D :D :D :D

You know I'm just playin!

Chris

Wolverine,

I would like to correct Tammy's response regarding Kaplan.

In UHS, the Kaplan course is not included in the tuition. This year it was $750.

Igor.

Tammy~

I interview this wed! UHS is my first choice school so hopefully in a week or so I will be posting on this thread as an actual member of the class of 2007.

I just found out that my secondary is being reviewed today, so I suspect I should be hearing about an interview (or complete rejection) late this week. I have a couple friends in the 2006 Class and hear that the program at UHS-Com is great, so I'm hoping for an acceptance.
Any interview tips will be appreciated!

Hey guys,
I bet you know that I've been posting a lot of questions about KCOM vs. UHS on those threads, but I finally decided to go where I was the happiest on interview day and where I feel I'd fit in with fellow classmates. So I chose UHS, if anyone who is applying has any detailed questions, I got a lot of answers from admissions office in my time of indecision.
Thanks,
Anthony

Good luck to all of you getting ready to interview. UHS has a very relaxed interview style...they want you to get to know UHS and they just want to get to know you. They won't try to trip you up or anything.

Know why you want to go into osteopathic medicine and something about AT Still. Some interviewers especially like those questions. Mostly, they will ask you about your background and such. My interview got into ethical questions about abortion, assisted suicide and stem-cell research, but I think that is not the norm. I may have led the interviewer to that place by accident! oops!

Take the time to read the interview feedback pages...they are very helpful and will let you know what interviewees are being asked at UHS.

Best of luck to all of you!

And Anthony, welcome to UHS!!! I think you'll really love it here. The classes are phenomenal (mostly) and your classmates will become your second family. Rest up now though as it will take all your energy to get through the mounds and mounds of material!

G'night all!
Tammy

Hi Anthony,

Welcome to UHS.

It probably doesn't make much of a difference what school you go to. Medical school is what you put into it; and your future as a physician depends a lot more on your personality and work ethic.

Still, UHS is an excellent school with a great program and I would agree with Tammy, the class does really feel like a family. I am sure you'll love it here.

Take care,
Igor.

Thanks Igor and Tammy,
I'm really excited to begin medical school in the fall.
Anthony

Anthony,

It's going to feel like FOREVER until August gets here for you...but once school starts, time flies!!!

Try and do everything fun you can this summer. Take trips, visit friends and family, etc. Time is at a premium once you start school!

Look us all up next year!

- Tammy

Hey all,

I just wanted to vent some frustration I have with the human body. I am 21, and just this past week I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. I am still shocked that at my young age, there is something that can go wrong with me and even keep me from doing the things I love. I already had to give up playing softball because of a case of Optic Neuritis, and this latest attack of numbness in my right leg. I guess the good thing is that I caught it early, and can start treament right away. I guess my beef is that I feel like my life hasn't even started yet, and it is already set for hardships. I know that I need to focus on the positives, but right now it just seems so hard to do!!! I look forward to meeting you all and hope to lean on you in my times of need that will surely exacerbate themselves in the stressful times that are ahead. I don't mean to be a downer, but I really just needed to get this off my chest! Good luck everybody, and If any of you have any words of wisdom, my ears are open. August 18th here I come!!!

Vanessa:clap: :clap: :clap:

Vanessa,

So sorry to hear about your news. I'm afraid to say that at this point I don't know much about MS. So the only advice I can give is to keep your head up and look forward.

Russell

I know for a fact that many people with MS still live a normal life because MS simply does not progress very far in many people. The chances are that you'll lead a regular, productive life in spite of some inconveniences.

Vanessa,

I'm going to e-mail you.

- Tammy

Hey everybody,

I feel a lot better about the whole situation. I have started on my MS treatment called Copaxone. It is a daily injectable that modulates the immune system and tries to keep my T-cells from becoming Bad inflammatory T-cells. It should reduce the number of relapses of MS by about 30%, so I am pretty excited!! Well, gotta go I will talk to you all later!!

Vanessa

Hello fellow UHS class of 2007 classmates! I just had my interview last week and found out early friday that I have been accepted! I was wondering if any other SDN'er who interviewed on the 12th will be joining the 2007 class? I can't wait to meet everyone in the fall.

Congrats NewFocus!

Why don't you tell us a little bit about yourself (most of us have done so earlier in the thread).

Russell

Congrats NewFocus!

Why don't you tell us a little bit about yourself (most of us have done so earlier in the thread).

Russell

well, I am a 24 year old male from KC, I am a virgo, and I like long walks on the beach and puppies.

OK for real. first off I am very excited to be going to UHS it was my first choice school. Several of my firends go to UHS and they love (dang near) everything about it. I have spent the last three years working in health care as an ER tech and currently as an EKG tech. I have also spent the last year volunteering at the Kansas City Free Health Clinic. My favorite form of stress relief is the gym and my new found love of mountain biking. I cant wait to graduate and have a ton of fun this summer (which includes a medical mission to Africa and lots of mountain biking)before I hit the ground runnin' come august. I look forward to meeting you all in the fall!!

oh yeah, my name is Brad

Congrats, Brad!!! Can't wait to see you around campus next year!

- Tammy

If you don't mind me asking, where are y'all going to stay for school? I still have problem finding a place.

I'm buying a house. Still don't have definite roommates, though some prospects have shown interest. Check back in the thread for details and pm me with any ?s

Russell

I sent in the fee for Century Towers and they still had a lot of openings if you don't mind living in that type of area.

I have noticed many people have questions about living arangements. I am from the KC area and have been casually apartment shoping over the past several weeks, and actually went and checked out several places today. It seems to me for a UHS student what is known by the locals as "the north land" (anything north of the river) is your best value. I have chosen to live at The Woods of Walnut Creek. They are about 5 miles from UHS and in non rush hour traffic it took me 10 min to get to campus. They are also running awesome specials for one bedrooms. If you are looking for a two or three bedroom apt I would definatly recomend Aloha Bay. They were just built last year and are right across the road from The Woods of Walnut Creek. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

I'll be interviewing at UHS on April 7th. Anyone else got that date?

WannabeDO - where are you buying your house at? I will be buying a house too. I am from St. Louis but I have alot of friends in KC who have suggested locations.

congrats on the interview invite. Hopefully we'll see you in the fall :clap:

Originally posted by apass
WannabeDO - where are you buying your house at? I will be buying a house too. I am from St. Louis but I have alot of friends in KC who have suggested locations.

I am primarily searching in the Park Hill, North Kansas City, and Johnson County (KS) areas. I have limited my search to these areas because of schools. My wife and kids will be joining me after the MSI year and these areas are where the best public schools are. If you don't have kids to worry about I would concentrate on houses close to UHS (there are lots available and prices are very reasonable. Do you have a realtor yet? If not I can suggest someone who has been extremely helpful for me so far. Feel free to PM me and I'll answer any more questions.

Russell

Hey whats up Russell? Are you getting pumped up for school yet?

Hey Docgeorge,

Yeah, I'm nervous. All these years of hoping, and now knowing. It gives me the heebiejeebies. Don't get me wrong, I am extremely excited, but I am going to miss my family lots.

Russell