UHS Class of 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I had a question about housing. Do most people go to Century Towers? I am considering finding apartments around the city since I think I can find better. I was wondering about the good and bad areas around Kansas City. Can anyone help?

Members don't see this ad.

Look for a loft in the Rivermarket area. This is by far the best place to live in KC. It is only 2 miles west of the school and most of the lofts are newly renovated. Also, you will be able to enjoy the many concerts they have in the market. Do not live in century towers!!

What are rents like for a loft in that area?

Members don't see this ad :)
I live in a studio apartment in a complex called the Pinnacle. It has a sister building directly to the East called University Towers (different from Century Towers). I pay $375/mo with all bills paid. I have to pay for phone, plug in electric (usually 10-15 bucks/month) and parking which is 35 bucks. So rent and parking are $405.

I highly recommend this place. Also if you decide to live there, please give them my name. I will get $300 off a months rent!!!!!

Thanks. Any questions, please email me

-C
[email protected]

Hey Chris,

Wassup? How is that weekend drive treating you? Did you convince your wife to move to KC yet?

Later,

Russell

Thanks for the apartment info drchris33, Im thinking we can split that $300 if I move in to the place. I'll scope it out.
Perhaps you know my buddy Grant, he is in your class, kind of a goofball but nevertheless charming. Anyway, I'll be flying into KC Friday night and interviewing Monday. I hear the 1st yr class is finishing up a block of exams and that there may be some fun to be had :D .

Davyboy--
Are you referring to Grant from Texas?? The Loco Mexicano??

I will be one of your ambassadors on Monday, so I will see you then. Yeah we have finals tomorrow and Friday, so I assume from Friday to Monday night, it will be party time!!!!

See u Monday

-C

Yeah, thats the crazy Mexican Im talking about. We both grew up in El Paso, so Im a loco Mexicano too:D .

Hey Scummer, wuz up... I sit next to Grant in class and must agree with you that he's a piece of work. Heard that you were flying in on Friday, so hope you like KC. Good luck on the interviews, and I'll see you on Monday. Peace...
James

Hey drchris33, thanks for showing me around yesterday. I was really impressed with the school and all the students I met. I definitely felt welcome there and am really hoping to get an acceptance. To think, I could eat at Chubby's every day after I study.........Chubby's:love:

Hey guys--
No Russ, I haven't been able to have my family move up here yet. I don't know when they will...probably after my second or third year. The weekend drive isn't too bad.....goes kind of quick anymore!

Davyboy--my pleasure to show you around. I am glad you liked the school. Again, I want to apologize for the mix-up with the interview thing. I felt really bad about it.
Hopefully everything went well and we will see you in August. Let us know about your acceptance.

Well gotta get back to this GI stuff......

-C

Russell-
Im thinking that my interview went fairly well. I was asked some questions about ethics that made my think a little. I wouldn't say it was confrontational, more like a friendly discussion.
Unfortunately, my vocabulary decreases by about 20% when Im under pressure, and I tend to stammer a bit. Aside from that I was satisfied with my performance.

Chris-
No sweat, it couldn't be helped, and I wouldn't let something like that get to me. Like I said on the walk back to the lounge, I think the extra walking loosened me up a bit. So, it probably was a good thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Darci, and I am also a first year med student. I graduated from CSU, Sacramento with a BS in Biology. I am engaged to a fellow first year med student who will attend DMU. I have two cats and a dog, but I will only be taking one cat with me to share my apartment at Century Towers.
You know, I just watched the movie "Bend it like Beckham," and it made me start itching to play soccer again. I was wondering if anyone of you plays, and if there was a club or group of people at UHS who play. Granted, I am not as talented as I used to be, but I still love the game.
Hey Russell, I posted my response on the other thread.

Is anybody familiar with The Trails apartments located in Lenexa off Renner Blvd? If so, what is the approximate driving time from the apartments to UHS in morning and afternoon traffic? Thanks

Hi guys. I will be joining the class of 2007.

My name is Elisabeth and I am a senior who will be graduating next month from Oakland University in Rochester Hills Michigan.

I'm from Michigan, and have lived here all 22 years of my life. I am a teaching assistant for gross human anatomy at my college, and I will be graduating with a B.A. in Biology.

I'd love to make some new friends so we can get to know each other before Orientation!!

I will be flying down this upcoming wednesday to get an appartment, and I just can not wait to start UHS!

Hope to talk to everyone soon.

E

Hi Elisabeth!

You don't know how relieved I am to know that there is somebody else coming to UHS that is slightly on the young side like me! I am also graduating this semester, and can't wait to get to KC. I will be living in Bennington Ridge, so maybe if you live there I will see you. Look forward to meeting you at orientation! PM me if you wanna talk!

Vanessa

Does any body here know for sure that O-chem is a pre req for UHS.

The only way to know FOR SURE is to call and talk to someone in the admissions department.

816-283-2000 or there probably is a 800# on the website.

there could always be exceptions to the rule so you never know unless you call.

I don't understand. How will you be able to score well on MCAT (which is important to get acceptance into med school) without taking Organic Chemistry?

BTW, for those who got accepted into UHS, I have a question: UHS requires us to get immunized against Hep B prior to matriculation, but I just got notified of this and the process of Hep B immunization will take more than 6 months. So there is no realistic way that I will be finishing my boosters before going to UHS in August. What should I do? What are some of you doing for your Hep B immunization?

Thanks

I posted in the wrong place asking if anyone would be interested in softball perhaps?? I see interest in soccer... so I was just wondering.

As for MCAT, I know... How could you do well without OChem... and how will it go doing biochem without some of the mxn?

Immunization wise... I already got my set in high school... I guess if they require it... start the series, and finish it in the first few months we are there... I don't really see any alternative. You should probably ask them. They are really nice to talk to.

YAY FOR KANSAS CITY!! LEAVING TO GO THERE IN 4 DAYS!!!

HAPPY EASTER:love:

:confused: Where should I go to school UHS or KCOM??? HELP!

KCOM is considered top notch as far as DO... but I love UHS ... please help!

NE comments... ?

You have to go where you feel most comfortable at. It doesn't matter which DO school you go to. You are going to graduate and no one will care where you went, they will care if you are a good and happay physician. If you chose a school that you will be happy in , then you will do great. This is totally your decision. Pick whichever place you can see yourself living for the next 4 years. I know that I chose UHS because I felt at home the moment I stepped onto the campus. Good luck, and we hope to see you next year.

Vanessa

:DCentury towers looks ideal to me... anyone have any suggestions as to something in a nicer neighborhood and cheaper?:clap:

If you read farther back in this thread you will find a plethora of posts on people giving their opinion on where to live. as I have said a couple of times before I chose to live at The Woods of Walnut Creek. They are off Parvin road in the northland about 5 (mostly highway) miles from UHS. Also if you are looking for a one bedroom they are offering great specials. the only bad thing is that the northland doesnt really have much to offer for entertainment. So if your looking to go to a nice place for dinner or hit the bar scene you have to go to the downtown/westport/plaza area which is about a 10/15/20 min drive. hope this helps. see ya in the fall.

Anyone having similar problems with Hep B Vaccination?

Prettymean,

I remember thinking about the same thing last year, and I am fairly sure that if you had your first HepB shot, UHS will allow you to begin classes as long as you show that you intend to get the second one. Perhaps you can speak with the admissions office. I am sure it will work out. At the end of the first semester, one of my friends was told that her immunization file was not complete and that she had to get it done. They didn't suspend her from school, they just made sure that it was taken care of. If they let her matriculate with an incomplete file, then you should be okay. Btw, we are studying about hepatitis right now. :)

Igor.

Does one know when we will recieve a booklist? Yes, yes. I know that the summer before medical school should not be spent studying. Trust me, that's not going to happen;) However, as a poor undergrad and soon to be poorer med student I would like to shop around for the best book deals. Maybe one of the 2006ers could post the list they recieved along with recommendations as to which books were truly nessecary and which books would make better door stops.:) Thanks.

:)I think I forget that I am going to be a med student... :) The only thing I have on my mind right now is how many places I can go in the summer and how many parties I can throw.... :pBut thanks for the reality check... I still have to send my deposits in and such... BTW... where should I live... I think I am going to live in CENTURY TOWERS>>> I know myself too well driving to class will definately make me late...

:clap:

Let me know if any current students or such are selling their place nearby or moving out...

Ankur
[email protected]
:cool:

does NE one know how to change that signature at the bottom of my message?

xXAnksXx:

to change your sig, click on User CP at the top of this screen. Then click on Edit Profile. You will be able to change it on that screen.

Russell

Hey Ankur,
I was making the same decision you were a few months ago...KCOM was good, but I felt "at home " while at the UHS interview...so I chose UHS sent a payment to CT so I could live next to the school...I'm not sure if you decided, but go where you'll be the most comfortable and happy...and I saw UHS had their students get into a bit better residencies...as well when I spent a week comparing the two schools. PM me if you have any questions between the two schools since I have a list in my head of the differences and similarities of the two schools.
Anthony

Hi Farm Girl:
Welcome to UHS! Regarding the book list...you will get a list about a month or so before starting school and let me give you a word of advice. You will not even need 1/2 of the books listed as REQUIRED. You will not have the time or luxury to read textbooks, they are used primarily as references or to clarify a point in lecture (which can easily be done in the library since they have a copy of all the texts).
Everyone makes the mistake in their first year of going hog-wild with buying all the books- I made that mistake and there are some REQUIRED texts I haven't even opened yet!
But if you really want to shop around, and also keep in mind that the 3rd years this fall will have a bunch of used texts to sell, here is a basic list of MUST HAVES:

*Moore-Dalley, Clinically Oriented Anatomy
*Grant's Anatomy Atlas OR Netters Anatomy Atlas
*You will NOT need an Anatomy Dissector (although they will try to make you think you will need it)- there are a ton of dissectors lying around the anatomy lab. Waste of money, don't buy one.
*Curran's Atlas of Histopathology (or any other path atlas)
*Berman's Histology Atlas (or any other good histo atlas)
*Baynes-Dominiczak Medical Biochemistry (or any other medical biochem book)
*Mosby's Exam to physical examination (the big one is expensive, but is a nice resource to have- the small one will be adequate though)
*Guyton- Text of Medical Physiology (or any other good physiology text- a lot of the review books are good and Costanzo has an excellent physio book)
*You will need a good immunology book: Lange Medical Immunology is what the school suggested, but it is really detailed.
If you haven't had immuno before I would check out "How the Immune System Works" by Sompayrac. It is less than 150 pages and is designed for med students, less detailed than a text, but more info than a review series. Easy read, can finish it within a week. A lot of students struggle with immunology, it is a difficult subject to cram in with everything else and if I had to do it all over again I would have read this book just before starting school. Just a suggestion...
*You will need a microbiology book, but you don't really need a hard core micro book. Many students really like the review series for micro, especially Lippincott's, which has colored micro pictures.
*Pathology: you really don't need a path book, but Big Robbins is a nice book. UHS has one of the best path programs and Dr. Friedlander will give you lots to read! Plus his notes are on the web (pathguy.com). In fact if you don't already know this, many medical schools in the country use his web site- it is that good!

That is it. Unless any other UHSers can think of a book I forgot about. You will need a good EKG book, but you don't study cardio until next January (a lot of students picked up the EKG book and browsed through it over Christmas break- another easy read). Hope this helps.

:D

DrSmiles,
Thank you so much for giving us advice about which books to buy. You are a lifesaver. My fiance, who will be attending DMU, and I are trying to buy review books now so we can "prepare" ourselves. Unfortunately, there are so many books out there that it's hard to tell which ones will be the most helpful.

Irisbeeker,
Welcome. I am sorry that I don't play softball, but I can teach you how to play soccer. I would like to say that I am willing to learn softball, but I cannot throw or catch. Do you play tennis?

Actually Darci, I do play tennis. Soccer I don't mind playing, but i'm definitely better with hand to eye coordination rather than foot to eye.

I just got back from Kansas City yesterday. I found my appartment. I will be living at Whispering Lake. It was beautiful, and for anyone looking, you can find the information on rent.com.
I took a power run from Michigan down there, and in about 24 hours found everything I need **Hopefully** in a place to live.

I can't wait to start, and I have to thank Dr.Smiles for the booklist.

I have to definitely recommend Netters, as I have used it in my cadeavor lab, and it works out great.

:laugh:

:) You are welcome! I am glad I could be of assistance!
And Whispering Lake is a beautiful complex- the commute to school isn't horrendous either, except for all the construction they are doing. I believe there are a few UHSers at Whispering Lake.

Nice booklist Dr.Smiles. Have you, or anyone you know, used the ".........made Ridiculously Easy" or "High Yield" books? I have heard that they are essential from a few people, none of whom went to UHS. What do you think?

Daveyboy, thanks for the info, now I'll just have to wait for the site to come back online. I really like the Anatomy made ridiculosly simple for Anatomy. I recomend this the PT students I TA. I liked the Physiology book too, Although the Neuroanatomy one was pretty weak, it did me no good in my undergrad Neuroanatomy class. Just my $.02

There are several people who like the Ridiculously simple series. I think it kind of depends on how you use the books. I hear the Microbiology book is supposed to be a good review book. I had the Anatomy book, but it is really not detailed enough to be of much use- a few of the memory aids were useful but that was about it. I also had the Biochem book which I did not find helpful at all, maybe it is just a good board review book, I don't know.
The Lippincott review books are by far the best and probably the most popular- especially for Pharmacology, Microbiology and Biochemistry. I use my Micro book all the time for lab- very user friendly.
I wish I could suggest an easy review book Anatomy, but I don't know of any. It is just one of those subjects that is tedious and you have to learn it all. The Moore-Dalley textbook is an excellent anatomy book-very clear explanations and pictures, and it is required, so I don't use any other anatomy books except for the atlases. I might also mention that if you can pick up an anatomy atlas with real pictures it will help TREMENDOUSLY during musculoskeletal section, especially if you have never taken anatomy before. Unfortunately I didn't pick one up until cardiovascular section and I wish I had known about it earlier....live and learn I guess!

Irisbeeker,
How long have you been playing tennis? I haven't played in years, so I am really rusty. It would be fun to go out and hit with you, but only if you aren't a Venus Williams or a Monica Seles. :laugh:
It's too bad that you chose not to live in CT. That is where I will be living for two years. I will be living with my cat, Osler, and quite possibly another cat. I have to convince my fiance to let me have another cat. He is afraid that the cat won't like him because he won't be able to bond with it.

Hey UHS class of 2007. My name is David Roshal, I am 22, and I will be an MS1 at UHS in the Fall of 2003. I am from New York City and I will be graduating from Rutgers U, in NJ, in May with a BA in CellBio&Neroscience. I am very excited about attending UHS and I am looking forward to getting to know as many of my fellow classmates as possible. I am currently in the process of deciding whether I want to live in Century Towers. I have been reading posts that many of you made and I have been getting a feeling that living in Century Towers, despite its proximity to UHS, may not be such a good idea. I really feel that safety is important, especially when I will be comming back from school late after working in the anatomy lab or after doing some research in the library. Some student wrote that he asked a policeman about the area, and the policeman said that although he is armed, he still would not want to be in this area. That statement is really upsetting. I would really like some more input from any of the class of 2007 students or any of the current UHS students who have lived at CT or have friends living there. I would also appreciate it if someone knows of any other appartments close to the school. I look forward to receiving responses from you guys. Thanks a lot and I hope to see all soon :) .

Originally posted by DRoshal@UHS
I am currently in the process of deciding whether I want to live in Century Towers. I have been reading posts that many of you made and I have been getting a feeling that living in Century Towers, despite its proximity to UHS, may not be such a good idea.

Congrats on your acceptance to UHS! You will love it here!

Sorry to hear of your apprehension re: Century Towers. If I was in your shoes, I would wonder what all the negative publicity means, too. I moved in last year, without having anyone tell me good or bad about it. No one lived in this building prior to last year; they just completed the renovation.

I really like living here. It works very well for me. If I know I'll be at school late, I'll drive over there. Regarding safety and security, as I said before in the class of 2007 icebreaker thread, the locals keep their distance.

If you have any questions, ask. Otherwise, good luck with your decision. Live at a place where you'll be comfortable.

M.

DRoshal@UHS

Personally I didn't feel at home at CT, mostly cause of the room set up and the way it really didn't feel like a home. I just got back from KC on thursday. I looked around for the first time really since the interview and noticed quite a few things.

But all in all, the place I choose is on a lake, with trees, and a beautiful landscape with a gated enterance. I'm just looking to see if anyone else will maybe carpool with me.

Darci,

I'm no Seles, but i'd love to play again, I haven't played competitively since high school. Hopefully we will have time to play!! I'm sorry I am not living in CT. :(

I am driving across country before orientation with my SUV so that I can have one, and I don't have to pay a Ryder truck. I am also renting my furniture from the company suggested at Whispering Lake.

Hope to hear from everyone.

Elisabeth

Hey UHS '07...

Elisabeth,

That place you were describing sounds really nice. What is the name of the location? I am probably looking for a 1bedroom or studio... It sounds really nice...so I'm assuming the price must be nice as well. ;) Let me know if you have any idea about openings there or someone who I should contact... Aslo, the distance from school would be ~Key~:p

Thanks...

Tennis is good... I didnt see any courts around UHS... but im sure there is something in the area... let me know if you guys are heading out sometime...

Take care,

Ankur

PS.... NE one have any idea of what we are supposed to do over the summer? Other than party?:)

By the way, thanks for the advice about KCOM vs. UHS, I chose UHS. Location/size of the city were a big factor... Thanks.

David,
Welcome! I understand your concerns about the area in which our school is located. It scares me, too. Although, I did talk to a couple of students about the area, and they said that it is pretty safe. In terms of crime, I was told that only a couple of cars have been stolen from campus. Having been told that and knowing that CT is gated, I have chosen to live in CT. Let us know what you have decided.

Elisabeth and Ankur,
We should all play sometime. Hopefully, there are tennis courts in the area north of the river. I was told that was a nice area.

Thanks a lot guys for your input on CT. I thought about the positives and the negatives of living in CT, but the proximity and low cost of living really helped me made up my mind about moving into CT. I am from New York City so I am used to living in bad areas and I think that with the security of the building and the gated parking lot, things should be ok. I would appreciate it if any of you who are planning to live in CT to mention yourself on this thread and include your email address so all of us can get to know each other before we move in. My email is [email protected] so if any one of you wants to email me, feel welcome to do so. I hope everyone is having a good time, if not, you really should be.:)

David

That place you were describing sounds really nice. What is the name of the location? I am probably looking for a 1bedroom or studio... It sounds really nice...so I'm assuming the price must be nice as well. Let me know if you have any idea about openings there or someone who I should contact... Aslo, the distance from school would be ~Key~

A,

It is called Whispering Lake. You can contact them through rent.com. I spoke to Debra. It is about 580 for a one bedroom. It has a lot of things going for it, not to mention the surroundings. It includes all the utilities except electric, and it also has washers and dryers in every unit. It is more for the top floors, and more for a lake view, but you'll find the prices and the floor plans at Rent.com. They offered me a 500 dollar rent credit when I applied, plus rent.com gives me 100 dollars for citing them as a source. So I believe with the vaulted ceiling, fireplace, lakeview...etc... it will be about 605 dollars a month for me. They have tennis courts, a workout room, boats, fishing, tanning, a pool, etc... I like the gated access, and the security patrol. Distance from UHS = 12 minutes on expressways. I took a drive to make sure. It isn't bad at all. Hopefully I'll find someone to carpool with, as that is my hope. I will have an SUV to drive, and I have commuted for the 15 minutes each day for the past four years. I guess the way I saw it was that I loved the place, and I can escape from school. I also like the fact that I can choose to have a cat, bird, or fish for no additional money. Just a dog costs extra in fees/rent. I looked north of the river, and though it appears safe, I like the location of Whispering Lake being near Target, etc...

I also liked Bennington Woods. You can find them on Rent.com as well. They are North of the River, and also about 10 minutes away from UHS. They are really nice as well.

Good Luck in Everything.

I'm leaving my email here.... [email protected]

It is so beautiful in Michigan today.... I wish it was like this everyday!!!

Does anyone know if anyone else is attending UHS from MI? Just a curious thought.

I'm glad there are at least 3 of us that are 22.

Lots of thoughts, in no particular order.

E
:D :D

Hey you guys, at 25, I'm an old geezer compared to you people. I'd sure like to get whipped into shape by you yungins. I've always wanted to learn tennis, so I'm game.

Russell

I am planning on living at CT despite all the warnings. I think I would like to get a 2 bedroom and a roomate. If only it was that easy. NE one looking for a roomie? Male, preferably vegetarian, quiet most of the time. I'll be 22 when I start UHS (if that matters). I've been living with a roomie for the last 4 years in Chicago. I'm used to it.
Send me an email [email protected]
:p