UIW DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MADD!!!

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So something interesting I noticed... UIW is going to be on AACOMAS even though it's a Texas school. Anyone know why this might be? (I'm really happy about this, but also surprised).

Members don't see this ad.

Probably because it's private, like how Baylor is on AMCAS. Sucks because it means tuition will be much higher than the rest of Texas. Does anyone know of they have laid out a plan for rotations? I would love to live in SA but don't want to have a crappy clinical experience

I'm also interested in this school since I'm a Texas resident. Hopefully the tuition won't be too high

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably because it's private, like how Baylor is on AMCAS. Sucks because it means tuition will be much higher than the rest of Texas. Does anyone know of they have laid out a plan for rotations? I would love to live in SA but don't want to have a crappy clinical experience

It will probably depend on how much support the state of Texas will give for the school. Although Baylor is private, it still receives state funds. So I would assume the same with this school, but of course it will be more expensive. I don't see much about their GME sites on the website, but they seem to have a goal of 1.1 GME spots to 1 student.

Last edited:
State funding is typically tied to an OOS cap, which is what happened at Baylor - it was a government intervention because Baylor was in dire financial shape. I don't believe UIW will get any operational funding from the state in this fiscal climate, nor will they have an OOS cap. Assuming they will exercise good judgment and keep the enrollment reasonable (and not make it a cash cow), their students should be able to access rotation sites in the greater San Antonio area. Elsewhere the environment is a bit different - they will have to compete with new students from UT RGV, UT Dell, the new MD school at UNTHSC/TCOM, and perhaps a new DO school at Sam Houston. UIW will not be part of TMDSAS because of its private status - main advantages to applicants are grade replacement which is not allowed by TCOM and other flexibility not available to state-run schools, main disadvantages are tuition cost and the lack of state support. As far as GME, UIW grads should be ok especially in primary care, thanks to the PC shortage and $300 million for residency slots from the state.

Reactions: 6 users