Ultimate comparison: CCOM vs. Western vs. KCUMB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also, does anyone know which schools has the lest of family medicine/rural rotations during 3rd and 4th years?

Members don't see this ad.

there is no note service at ccom, profs give you the packets your you buy it from the bookstore

so the profs create it...regardless.....it is a lame excuse for crappy notes

well, the student noteservice looks the same. You do not have to buy them. I like student noteservice better because they put everything from the lecture, even questions and jokes.

Syncope, so where do you end up going? It seems like you always have a first hand information about DO lifestyle and etc. Are you planning family medicine or will specialize?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was also surprized that CCOM has only like 78% first and second choice match. Also. 92% step I pass rate is not as impressive as KCUMB's 98%. At KCUMB, director of admissions told us their students get 88-90% match into their first choice. That was impressive.

I am not familiar with KCUMB, but maybe the difference in first choice match rate is due to more people at CCOM trying to go for various specialties. Again, I don't know anything about KCUMB so I'm just guessing that the majority of their graduates go for family practice. When I interviewed, I remember hearing a high number for graduates that specialize at CCOM, I don't know the exact number, but I want to say its somewhere around 70%. Don't hold me to this, though, just throwing it out there.

Also, the lower step I pass rate might be due to their rigorous curriculum (as some have already pointed out), so something to think about. I came from a school that uses the quarter system and I liked it a lot, but then again that was undergrad and this is going to be a med school curriculum (a LOT more info). I believe the majority of U.S. schools use a semester system, so maybe the students had trouble adjusting to the faster pace (curriculum + quarter system).

I myself have to choose between the two, but most likely I am going to choose COMP because I want to eventually practice in Cali. The only thing I have against CCOM is the location and the technology.

Edit:
And one more thing about CCOM's curriculum: although they are on a quarter system, when the quarter ends and you go on break, you still have exams waiting for you when you get back (in undergrad, we didn't have to worry about anything after the quarter ended). I'm pretty sure that's how the semester system works also, but again if you're like me and are used to a quarter system, don't expect to be able to do nothing during winter/spring break.

if anyone has any info, could we compare KCUMB and Western COMP? more specifically, i'm interested in the academics, both pre-clinical and clinical. any opinions would be much appreciated.

and to add to the previous post, when i was at KCUMB, they said about 65% (i think) of students go into specialties.

I am not familiar with KCUMB, but maybe the difference in first choice match rate is due to more people at CCOM trying to go for various specialties. Again, I don't know anything about KCUMB so I'm just guessing that the majority of their graduates go for family practice. When I interviewed, I remember hearing a high number for graduates that specialize at CCOM, I don't know the exact number, but I want to say its somewhere around 70%. Don't hold me to this, though, just throwing it out there.
To fill in where you are guessing - KCUMB sends a large majority of its students into specialties... typically about 3/4 of the class.

Also, the lower step I pass rate might be due to their rigorous curriculum... maybe the students had trouble adjusting to the faster pace (curriculum + quarter system).
I really know nothing about CCOM (don't even know if the information in this thread is accurate), and I'm certainly not trying to be negative about the school, but why would you want to go somewhere that has a more rigorous lecture and exam schedule and yet doesn't prepare you as well for the boards? I'd rather be a little more relaxed and a little better prepared. Something to think about.

Syncope, so where do you end up going? It seems like you always have a first hand information about DO lifestyle and etc. Are you planning family medicine or will specialize?

I have a uncle that's a DO, along with 2 cousins, so I am intimate with the field...

plus, I live in the chicago area and I know plenty of students who went to and who are currently at CCOM.....and please don't ask why I chose to go elsewhere besides CCOM..

Also, the lower step I pass rate might be due to their rigorous curriculum (as some have already pointed out), so something to think about. I came from a school that uses the quarter system and I liked it a lot, but then again that was undergrad and this is going to be a med school curriculum (a LOT more info). I believe the majority of U.S. schools use a semester system, so maybe the students had trouble adjusting to the faster pace (curriculum + quarter system).

I myself have to choose between the two, but most likely I am going to choose COMP because I want to eventually practice in Cali. The only thing I have against CCOM is the location and the technology.

Edit:
And one more thing about CCOM's curriculum: although they are on a quarter system, when the quarter ends and you go on break, you still have exams waiting for you when you get back (in undergrad, we didn't have to worry about anything after the quarter ended). I'm pretty sure that's how the semester system works also, but again if you're like me and are used to a quarter system, don't expect to be able to do nothing during winter/spring break.

Well, if people say rigorous curriculum, I always think good board preparation. What's the point of teaching a lot of stuff that is not tested on the boards anyways?

Also I noticed a lot of CCOM people are going doing Traditional Rotating and Transitional years. Any advantages doing those? Why so many people do it?

if anyone has any info, could we compare KCUMB and Western COMP? more specifically, i'm interested in the academics, both pre-clinical and clinical. any opinions would be much appreciated.

and to add to the previous post, when i was at KCUMB, they said about 65% (i think) of students go into specialties.

KCUMB for example got 91% of 1:1 match (http://www.kcumb.edu/resintern.asp) and 71% going into specialties.

Also I noticed a lot of CCOM people are going doing Traditional Rotating and Transitional years. Any advantages doing those? Why so many people do it?

It's not a bad thing, many sub specialties require you to do a transitional year before entering their residency programs. My cousin who is an opthomologist was required to do a transitional year before starting his residency.

Transitional year =/= a bad/negative thing.

Well, if people say rigorous curriculum, I always think good board preparation. What's the point of teaching a lot of stuff that is not tested on the boards anyways?
on the other hand, it could burn you out, and not allow you to prepare for the boards to the best of your ability

people choose CCOM because it is one of the oldest do schools and it is in chicago..and that means good rotations

Edit:

Our quarter ends, we have finals week, then we have a week break. But your right...in med school, no matter what school you are in, do not expect to do nothing over break.

Marcia

What?!? You gotta do something fun! We are not just med school robots. At Western COMP, we go snowboarding on the weekends. I was able to do 2 weeks in Asia after my first semester of med school, and I am doing a week in Rome for spring break. Some of my classmates are going to Costa Rica or Mexico. Most are just going home to visit their families. The timing worked out that we don't have a neuroscience exam until 2 weeks after spring break!

Go do something fun! You deserve it after busting A** in med school all semester!

What?!? You gotta do something fun! We are not just med school robots. At Western COMP, we go snowboarding on the weekends. I was able to do 2 weeks in Asia after my first semester of med school, and I am doing a week in Rome for spring break. Some of my classmates are going to Costa Rica or Mexico. Most are just going home to visit their families. The timing worked out that we don't have a neuroscience exam until 2 weeks after spring break!

Go do something fun! You deserve it after busting A** in med school all semester!

I like skiing as well. I just decided that I can always fly to colorado over some holiday and ski there.

I like skiing as well. I just decided that I can always fly to colorado over some holiday and ski there.

ooh..my favortie..skiing

but why would one choose a school based on how much they can ski? if you really want to do it..you can do a quick 3 day trip to CO for a ski trip..airline tix are only like $175 roundtrip from chicago to denver :)..already went 3x this winter already...and plan on going 2x more!! i love skiing and plan on going as much as I can this year

ooh..my favortie..skiing

but why would one choose a school based on how much they can ski? if you really want to do it..you can do a quick 3 day trip to CO for a ski trip..airline tix are only like $175 roundtrip from chicago to denver :)..already went 3x this winter already...and plan on going 2x more!! i love skiing and plan on going as much as I can this year

where do you usually go?

where do you usually go?

breckenridge and keystone...usually breck for the day skiing..and off to keystone for the night skiing....this way you can take full advantage of it

breckenridge and keystone...usually breck for the day skiing..and off to keystone for the night skiing....this way you can take full advantage of it

I just was at breck on x-mas. Stayed at Marriot near the lift. It wad NICE. I usually go to Vail, sometime to Loveland since it is close to Denver.

I just was at breck on x-mas. Stayed at Marriot near the lift. It wad NICE. I usually go to Vail, sometime to Loveland since it is close to Denver.

nice...i just missed you..i was there a week before xmas as well...

we end up staying at one of my buddies lodge down there..a very nice lodge....it's extremely beautiful..however, it's not ski in/out (it's nice to know rich kids :D)

CCOM

Found: 1900
Question: what is the board score average for this school?

Pros:

- All the 3rd year cores done in Chicago
- Extensive list of rotations plus possibility of doing elective locally in NW, Rush, Loyola, etc.
- Safe area
- Proximity to great research schools
- Notetaking service
- Good reputation (from what I hear)
- Someone on SDN mentioned competitive environment: I thrive on competition. But I enjoy friendly competition, not cut-to-throat kind of competition.

Just FYI, to my knowledge, there is no notetaking service at CCOM.