UMass

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
slb830 said:
Got Updates?

anybody have any status change this morning? no change here as of 9:30.

Members don't see this ad.

wilson bitt said:
anybody have any status change this morning? no change here as of 9:30.

Me neither.

Members don't see this ad :)
Orthodoc40 said:
No changes.

I hate them for taking so long!

I second that.

I don't think enough UMASS people monitor this site.....
I think we need a sample size greater than 4 right now to make a conclusive decision here...

slb830 said:
I second that.

I don't think enough UMASS people monitor this site.....
I think we need a sample size greater than 4 right now to make a conclusive decision here...

:laugh:

A lot read it though, looking at the # of views. Maybe they are the one's getting acceptances...

All I know is, this means I have to re-take the April MCAT, and I'm pretty bummed. Especially if I hear a week later...... :rolleyes:

Orthodoc40 said:

A lot read it though, looking at the # of views. Maybe they are the one's getting acceptances...

All I know is, this means I have to re-take the April MCAT, and I'm pretty bummed. Especially if I hear a week later...... :rolleyes:

Yikes..have you been studying?

Orthodoc40 said:

I applied to Umass before and my experience is that we heard around this time next week. I am not sure if they are on the same schedule though this year. I feel for you because I was in your position last year in terms of re-taking the April MCAT. I found out that I was wailisted the Friday before the MCAT. So, I guess what I am saying is hang in there buddy and study like crazy because Umass is sooo slow. On the bright side if they follow the same pattern as before, we may know soon!

MedChef said:
I applied to Umass before and my experience is that we heard around this time next week. I am not sure if they are on the same schedule though this year. I feel for you because I was in your position last year in terms of re-taking the April MCAT. I found out that I was wailisted the Friday before the MCAT. So, I guess what I am saying is hang in there buddy and study like crazy because Umass is sooo slow. On the bright side if they follow the same pattern as before, we may know soon!

I too applied last year (as out of state to the md/phd program) was waitlisted sometime in early may. hopefully it moves faster for the in-state MD pool (which i am now in).

anyway as far as online status mine has not changed as of 11:02 am.

im not checking that site again untill tuesday night, it's a healthy decision i think.

good luck all

slb830 said:
Yikes..have you been studying?

Yah I have, like crazy! It will really be a weird feeling of gladness & relief but also annoyance if I got good news and realized the last 4 months of prep were wasted! (Like, I could have been working full time to pay off my credit cards!) Not that I'd turn it down...! :love:

MedChef said:

Wow - the Friday before??!!! That's a nightmare I have been hoping to avoid... So, did you re-take? I mean, you can't get a refund at that point, and a waitlist is no guarantee... Yuck. It helps to know I'm not the only one who suffered through this, though.... :)

Orthodoc40 said:
Wow - the Friday before??!!! That's a nightmare I have been hoping to avoid... So, did you re-take? I mean, you can't get a refund at that point, and a waitlist is no guarantee... Yuck. It helps to know I'm not the only one who suffered through this, though.... :)

Yes, I did re-take it which was a good decision because I never got off that waitlist. Getting that waitlist made me even more determined and I brought my MCAT up a few points. I got into a couple other schools this time around, but I am waiting it out to see whether or not Umass is gonna be a heartbreaker....for the third time in a row.

MedChef said:
Yes, I did re-take it which was a good decision because I never got off that waitlist. Getting that waitlist made me even more determined and I brought my MCAT up a few points. I got into a couple other schools this time around, but I am waiting it out to see whether or not Umass is gonna be a heartbreaker....for the third time in a row.

Does anybody have a clue as to how many acceptances are out at this point? Are the 100 out yet, and they are just going to waitlist/reject now in preparation for the 40-50% of those original 100 who don't end up accepting their spots? Some of us have been waiting for so long that intuitively it feels like the only chance now is the waitlist. Agree? Disagree?

wilson bitt said:
Does anybody have a clue as to how many acceptances are out at this point? Are the 100 out yet, and they are just going to waitlist/reject now in preparation for the 40-50% of those original 100 who don't end up accepting their spots? Some of us have been waiting for so long that intuitively it feels like the only chance now is the waitlist. Agree? Disagree?

They may not have the full 100 filled, but I'd be surprised if they weren't close to it. It's been a constant trickle of people here and I am assuming that others have been accepted that don't post here. So I'm thinking that waitlist is my best hope right now. Anyone have any idea as to how many people they waitlist?

Members don't see this ad :)
wilson bitt said:

No idea on the numbers, but I think it is safe to assume that it's waitlist or bust at this point. I don't like being negative about it, but I'm just basing it on what I've read from past year's posts and what past applicants have said. It seems they basically will wait list a bunch of people in April, and rejections go out in May. Or maybe the other way around? And I think they said usually about 50 people get in off the wait list.

stressed522 said:
bump. any news?

since I decided not to check my status at all (as opposed to every 3 hours) my stress level has gone way down.

Something about feeling rejected just a little bit when my status hasn't changed made the decision to wait until mail arrives the more prudent choice.

windzilla said:
since I decided not to check my status at all (as opposed to every 3 hours) my stress level has gone way down.

Something about feeling rejected just a little bit when my status hasn't changed made the decision to wait until mail arrives the more prudent choice.

Yah - I feel that way, too... plus I'm supposed to be studying for the MCAT right now....! :laugh:

I've been waiting on UMass since september, although my interest is fading fast. I think waitlists will come out in the next few weeks followed by rejections after that. As soon as I get my Financial Aid package from Pittsburgh I think I will be withdrawing, but I'm waiting to see what they give me.

Good Luck

Jim

JDWflash44 said:
I've been waiting on UMass since september, although my interest is fading fast. I think waitlists will come out in the next few weeks followed by rejections after that. As soon as I get my Financial Aid package from Pittsburgh I think I will be withdrawing, but I'm waiting to see what they give me.

Good Luck

Jim

Good luck! :luck:

JDWflash44 said:

Good Luck

Jim

Hello my former Umass co-applicants!!
I just wanted to let you know that as of today, One more spot is officially opening up at Umass, since I am withdrawing today!!!
Good luck to everyone who is still waiting to hear, on the waitlist, etc. !!!

And......I am officially finished with the entire process!!!!

Yeah!!!!!!!!

Hebrew Hammer said:

Yeah!!!!!!!!

I look forward to the day I can say that.

Congrats and thanks for the opening

Hebrew Hammer said:
I just wanted to let you know that as of today, One more spot is officially opening up at Umass, since I am withdrawing today!!!

Yeah!!!!!!!!

Congrats, HH!! Enjoy Yale & New Haven! And make sure to wear your Sox gear with pride down there - close to empire territory... :scared:
:luck:

Hebrew Hammer said:

Yeah!!!!!!!!

Congrats and thank you!! Tell them you want me to have your spot.

I haven't been able to access the Umass status site for the past few hours?

Anyone else having difficulties?

slb830 said:
I haven't been able to access the Umass status site for the past few hours?

Anyone else having difficulties?

yeah I can't log access it either. it gets so part of the pages is loaded but its not any content, just the upper tool bar. I noticed this last night and just checked again.

I was hoping it was a sign that i was in. (full scholarship maybe too) :laugh:

Flyfisher said:
yeah I can't log access it either. it gets so part of the pages is loaded but its not any content, just the upper tool bar. I noticed this last night and just checked again.

I was hoping it was a sign that i was in. (full scholarship maybe too) :laugh:

Hey, maybe it was HebrewHammer trying to transfer his acceptance directly to your account!? ;)

Orthodoc40 said:
Congrats, HH!! Enjoy Yale & New Haven! And make sure to wear your Sox gear with pride down there - close to empire territory... :scared:
:luck:

I'll be strutting my red sox gear with pride!! I can't wait for the first sox-yanks series.

Luck yall!!!!

Hebrew Hammer said:
I'll be strutting my red sox gear with pride!! I can't wait for the first sox-yanks series.

Luck yall!!!!

can't wait is a phrase the pretty much sum's half of my life right now. the other have is "have to wait"

anyway I cannot sign in either

windzilla said:
can't wait is a phrase the pretty much sum's half of my life right now. the other have is "have to wait"

anyway I cannot sign in either

Okay, it's fixed, but still no change.

Hebrew Hammer said:

Luck yall!!!!

and don't forget the Tom Brady jersey, either!! Make sure they know where the champions come from!! :laugh:

Okay I have decided that if an envelope from UMass comes between now and the MCAT (April 22nd) I am NOT going to open it!! Unless it is an acceptance (BIG envelope) I just can't be depressed by reading a rejection letter right before the test. Hey, I figure, they made me wait this long, their letter can wait a few days to be read! :laugh:

Hey all. I just wanted to let you know that I receved a waitlist letter via snail mail today :(

ON the bright side, my medical school application process is over and I have chosen a medical school :D ! On the not so bright side, receiving that waitlist letter still hurts.

Best of luck to everyone else!

MedChef said:
Hey all. I just wanted to let you know that I receved a waitlist letter via snail mail today :(

ON the bright side, my medical school application process is over and I have chosen a medical school :D ! On the not so bright side, receiving that waitlist letter still hurts.

Hey, thanks for the warning! Congrats on completing your process! I'm still waiting till May 15th so mine can begin. If I get waitlisted at UMass, it'll be my 4th.

MedChef said:

At least you have a choice!! Looks like I'll be reapplying. :mad:

Where do you live medchef? The area, so that we can figure out delivery time. Looks like if we dont get one of those letters in a few days, rejection letters will follow. Story of my life.

blueicyrose said:
Where do you live medchef? The area, so that we can figure out delivery time. Looks like if we dont get one of those letters in a few days, rejection letters will follow. Story of my life.

Yes, and where did you decide to go?

MedChef said:

Anybody else get a waitlist letter from them? Am I the only one left out? :oops:

Orthodoc40 said:
Anybody else get a waitlist letter from them? Am I the only one left out? :oops:

nope, I too have heard nothing yet. They may not send everything out all at once for the waitlist, so take heart.

windzilla said:
nope, I too have heard nothing yet. They may not send everything out all at once for the waitlist, so take heart.

Nothing in Newton. :scared:

I was told on Thursday, by the head of the PhD program, that there wasn't going to be anything going on in terms of med school acceptances until May 15th. I guess that means that you just need to sit tight for the time being. Remember, no news is good news.

Best

Hari Kari said:
I was told on Thursday, by the head of the PhD program, that there wasn't going to be anything going on in terms of med school acceptances until May 15th. I guess that means that you just need to sit tight for the time being. Remember, no news is good news.

Best

Yea, don't freak out too much, I was waitlisted last year (to the Phd/Md program for out of state) and the waitlist letter, which was a standard medical school letter, came out around may 15th, totally by surprise. Anyway, Hari Kari is right, no noose is good noose

waka waka waka

windzilla

Hari Kari said:

Best

So I don't understand...UMass is not sending out acceptances until May 15th? So how does that work in terms of decision making? If I decide on one school that I'm already accepted at, and then on May 15th by some chance I get into UMass, how long do I get to decide which I am going to? Seeing as I am not supposed to hold more than one spot after May 15th.

HC05nmd said:
So I don't understand...UMass is not sending out acceptances until May 15th? So how does that work in terms of decision making? If I decide on one school that I'm already accepted at, and then on May 15th by some chance I get into UMass, how long do I get to decide which I am going to? Seeing as I am not supposed to hold more than one spot after May 15th.

What it means is that UMass has already sent out all of their acceptances and will now be sending out rejections/waitlists to everyone else. Then, when their class opens up from withdrawals they will accept people off the waitlist. So if you get in on or after may 15th you will have a few days to decide if you want to go to UMass or the other spot you are holding. At least thats the way I understand it.

Jim

No news here.... I was away for the weekend and really hoping i would have something in the mail from friday or saturday but no.

sleepless in somerville

Hi,
I got a waitlist letter on Friday. I live in Northampton. How bad is it to be on the waitlist? Does anyone know what the odds are of getting in off the waitlist?

There is always a ton of movement on the Umass waitlist as the school cant act like a private school and send out more acceptances than it has room, figuring that x% will decline. From the 2005 stats from USNews, UMass accepted 176 in-state last year, leaving 76 coming off the waitlist. Figuring that 5-10 of those were likely md/phd candidates, that would put it anywhere between 66-71 md folks getting off the waitlist. The bulk of the class is going to come from the waitlist.

Good luck next month!

-another noho resident

Flyfisher said:
No news here.... I was away for the weekend and really hoping i would have something in the mail from friday or saturday but no.

sleepless in somerville

I was just reviewing the thread from 05.

people seemed to recieve their waitlist letters by mail dated from as early as april 8th to as late as the 27th.

Plus the girl who was waitlisted on the 27th was also accepted off the waitlist.

so do not dispair, if you can help it.

Waiting for a waitlist

windzilla

FrannyGlass said:
Hi,
I got a waitlist letter on Friday. I live in Northampton. How bad is it to be on the waitlist? Does anyone know what the odds are of getting in off the waitlist?

You guys that got waitlist letters last friday, when did you interview?

Flyfisher said:

Has anybody received rejection letters yet?

And yes, of those who were waitlisted, woud you mind telling us when you were interviewed and also if your status page online changed at all?

Flyfisher said:

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I received my waitlist letter on Friday and I live outside of Boston; my status page has still not changed as of this second. I interviewed in January.

Does anyone think ANY acceptances will be sent out prior to May 15? I just want to know something - interviewed back in Decemeber and am still in suspense.