UMDNJ Discussion Thread 2009-2010

Started by Turkelton
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yesss! The packet arrived today! The wait is finally completely over. Got the call on the 20th so everyone who is still waiting it should be a matter or minutes or a day or two!

so i am always excited to leave work but now i REALLY want to get out of here and see if my packet is waiting for me!
 
so i got my packet 👍

i was hoping there would be a little more info regarding financials.....how much is tuition, some sort of rounded cost of attendance number, etc......does anyone know if this info is posted online anywhere?

thanks!
 
so i got my packet 👍

i was hoping there would be a little more info regarding financials.....how much is tuition, some sort of rounded cost of attendance number, etc......does anyone know if this info is posted online anywhere?

thanks!


I've heard that the tuition cost for in state students is around 27k and out of state is around 40k. Additional costs estimate around 20k/year. I've also been told that they ask out of state students to pay the 40k the first year and thereafter you can declare yourself a resident for tuition purposes and pay the lower amount for the following 3 years. Hope this helps.

edit: you can see these numbers at: http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/cib2010/2010-umdnj-som.pdf
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've heard that the tuition cost for in state students is around 27k and out of state is around 40k. Additional costs estimate around 20k/year. I've also been told that they ask out of state students to pay the 40k the first year and thereafter you can declare yourself a resident for tuition purposes and pay the lower amount for the following 3 years. Hope this helps.

edit: you can see these numbers at: http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/cib2010/2010-umdnj-som.pdf

thanks for your post.....i didn't realize that the aacom website had all of this info (i kept looking all over umdnj's website)....thanks again!
 
LOVED IT! Everyone there was awesome, it seemed like such a good and positive environment to study in. My interviewer was incredibly nice and all of the students that I met were so hopeful and willing to answer my questions. I REALLY hope to hear from them next Friday!!!
 
I interviewed Wednesday as well! I really liked the school...but I pretty much knew that I would. My interviewer was nice but I don't have a good feeling about how I did..I dunno...I tend to be a pessimist. Next Friday seems sooo far away and I know this whole week is going to drag on by...Good luck to all the others who were with me!
 
I interview this Wednesday--for those who've already done so is there just one interviewer? Or is it group?
 
I had one interviewer...I know one girl I was talking to had the same interviewer I did as well as a 4th year student. All of the questions were extremely ordinary and predictable. Nothing strange. Know a little bit about the Obama healthcare plan, as that might come up.
 
On the AACOMAS site, it says that UMDNJ-SOM is closed file interview, but on the interview feedback on SDN, it says its open file. Can anyone confirm what it actually is?
 
Open file. I walked in and my file was right there in front of her. She asked me specific questions from it, as well as referenced my GPA/MCAT scores. I was surprised since I had read that it was closed file as well.
 
Anyone have any idea about how long secondary review is taking these days? My secondary was received last week (ugh! 😡) and I'm curious if I'll hear anything soon or if I'm even competitive this late in the season.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I haven't heard anything either! What's going on? Im going crazy! :scared: Someone please tell us when you get the call!!! :xf:
 
ACCEPTED !!!! got the call around 3 from my interviewer ..AHHHH FIRST ACCEPTANCE ! good luck everyone !!!
 
Anyone have any idea about how long secondary review is taking these days? My secondary was received last week (ugh! 😡) and I'm curious if I'll hear anything soon or if I'm even competitive this late in the season.

I called the admissions office last week to make sure my file was complete. It was a good thing that I did because there was an error with my LORs through virtual evals. UMDNJ said they never got them. They soon realized it was a computer glitch and they had actually received them the first week of september. I'm only telling you this because my file was only considered complete last week and they still offered me an interview for 12/22. So I don't think your timing automatically disqualifies you. Best of luck to you.
 
congratulations avp6!!! thats awesome!!! I did not get a call : /

I am not that surprised though I didn't really feel like I was going to get in or that I did very well on the interview...

still sad ) :
 
Yes congrats to avp6 👍!!! Blueskies486 I wouldn't worry about it too much, I think because of the snow storm they didnt get around to making all of their calls. If you don't hear by sometime next week then call....there's still hope...A lot of us still haven't heard!! 😉
 
accepted! 😀Heard from them Friday around 3:30, I really loved this school. I can't wait for the accepted students day in March!
 
Hey just got a call about an interview today! Im super excied.

However, i have a few questions.

Does anyone know the number applied, interviewed, and accepted?

Im sure the first 2 years D.O.'s do their thing and M.D.'s do theirs but for 3rd and 4th do they combine their MD and DO students at hospitals for rotations? or do they have certain hospitals set aside for DO and some for MD?

This might have previously been discussed but does UMDNJ have good hospital connections? Meaning will you get good rotations and not have to move around much?

Also, just an observation, im surprised more people havent been posting on this thread only 5 pages and schools like PCOM and other high ups on the DO "rankings" are in the teens. Not that this says anything about the school just surprised.

Hopefully this means not many people have applied 👍 (highly unlikely lol)

Thanks in advanced for your responses! good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey just got a call about an interview today! Im super excied.

However, i have a few questions.

Does anyone know the number applied, interviewed, and accepted?

Im sure the first 2 years D.O.'s do their thing and M.D.'s do theirs but for 3rd and 4th do they combine their MD and DO students at hospitals for rotations? or do they have certain hospitals set aside for DO and some for MD?

This might have previously been discussed but does UMDNJ have good hospital connections? Meaning will you get good rotations and not have to move around much?

Anybody?
 
So I finally got verified 12/03 and while other schools have sent me secondaries I havn't heard anything back from UMDNJ. Is it normal for them to take so long to send out a secondary app? Anybody else get verified recently? and if so could you please tell me how long before secondary was received? Thanks.

Also, I called my school and UMDNJ is also one of the few that hasn't downloaded my LOR through Virtual Evals. Would that have anything to do with it?
 
Last edited:
So I finally got verified 12/03 and while other schools have sent me secondaries I havn't heard anything back from UMDNJ. Is it normal for them to take so long to send out a secondary app? Anybody else get verified recently? and if so could you please tell me how long before secondary was received? Thanks.

Also, I called my school and UMDNJ is also one of the few that hasn't downloaded my LOR through Virtual Evals. Would that have anything to do with it?

all umdnj does is send out an e-mail directing you to the secondary link, so i don't think it would be any problem if you just go ahead and submit it even though you were never formally invited (they do not screen for secondaries)....after you submit it make sure you call and make sure that they have it.....i waited about a week after they had received it (i used delivery confirmation) to ask if i was complete and i was not, but the receptionist (the entire admissions staff is incredibly helpful) then went and found my file, marked me complete, and i received an invite that same day....best of luck to you, and below is the link for the secondary:

http://som.umdnj.edu/education/admissions/apply.html
 
Thanks so much for the link! I used it and did my secondary...now just gotta wait and hope they call me back!🙂

P.S. I hope your interview went well. Good Luck!
 
How's the decision making coming along, call me x?

I'm deciding between UMDNJ-SOM and VCOM right now (and have a PCOM interview coming up). If anyone has anything they could input, it would be much appreciated. I might need to end up making a thread like everyone else.

ahh i'm as indecisive as ever haha.....i am between umdnj and pcom right now and i think i'm going to end up making one of those threads as well and laying out all my thoughts in it....at least both of the deposits are reasonable (pcom is $250 initially) so if i can't decide right away at least i won't be completely breaking the bank holding my spot at both.....good luck at pcom when is your interview?
 
I applied to UMDNJ a while back and called about my application and they said i Was under review but that was like over 2 weeks ago. Does UMDNJ said you letters of rejection even if you havent been invited for an interview or how will I know what is going on about a potential interview. Also if I do get an interview eventually how long do they take to responf about acceptance. Do they send rejection letters if youhave not been accepted after an interview.

I am at the stage of review and not been offered an interview yetand was wondering when should I give another call and if they do send rejections even if you have not been interview.
 
has anyone who sent in their deposit had the amount deducted from their checking account.....i hate it when things don't add up haha
 
does anyone know how the "alternate list" works at UMDNJ-SOM?

how much does it usually move and when?

thanks.
 
wychillis - didyou get waitlisted? how did you hear about it - phone or via snail mail?

if u got waitlisted did they rank it and let you know if you are high or medium on the waitlisted?
 
hello all, I just sent in my secondary. Do you think that I have a good chance? HOw full do you think the class is so far?
 
i found out that i was put on the waitlist in the beginning of December via snail mail.

i called yesterday to ask about the ranking of the list the woman told me that there were currently 90 people on the list. she also told me that I was very close to the middle of the list.

she said that the list will start moving at the end of january but that is all the information she gave.

do you have any other information about how the waitlist works?
 
thanks for the information wychillis! i'm not sure how the waitlist works, that's why i was wondering about the ranking of waitlist. i know other schools rank them, not sure how umdnj works.
 
did anyone interview here and thought the interview went really well and then get waitlisted or rejected. (especially interviewing before jan)

or the opposite, did anyone interview and thought it didnt go so hot and get accepted?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wait-listed too, my interview didn't go so well, I was expecting a wait-list or rejection. I am going to call tomorrow and find out where I am on the list. Wychillis-was the admissions office helpful and receptive to you asking about your status?
 
My interviewer told me the interview does not count for much. It gets a numeric score that gets entered into a formula that includes mcat, gpas, a numeric score for your activities/experience, a score for your undergrad school and maybe a couple other things. Those numbers get added up and if you above a certain number you are accepted, below waitlisted and below another number rejected. He said in the interview they want to make sure you are not really strange, other than that it has little to do with admission.
 
yeah the person that i talked to at the admissions office was helpful and answered most of my questions.

its just a waiting game at this point however so i'm not sure how much information there is.

good luck when you call.
 
I think tomorrow is the 3rd friday of the month, so the admission committee meets!!!! I hope to get a call! Good luck to all.