UMDNJ Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else excited/nervous?

Yeah my app was sent last week and they just charged me my sec app fee 01/11. I wonder how long of a delay before my app makes it to the Committee but if I'm lucky enuf to get reviewed tom that would be awesome and nerve wrecking! Good Luck All!

Also, anybody know, do they only meet to review apps the third Fri of every month? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand that waitlists at schools probably won't start really moving until closer to summer, but does anyone know if they also make waitlist to acceptance calls on the 3rd Friday of the month? Or is it random?

Today is the day the adcom meets!! No call so far, i guess after 4ish?

Just received the call. Interviewed 12/5. 33/3.5.

i hope more of you received good news on friday!

....so i sent my deposit check in about 6 weeks ago, i called to make sure they received it and they had, but they STILL haven't deposited it....umdnj you are killing my ability to balance my checking account lol.....regardless i can't figure out why they haven't deposited it yet.....very strange]

......hey elftown have you decided btw umdnj and vcom yet?

That is strange that they haven't deposited the check. Have you been able to set up your my.umdnj account and email?

Every day I'm back and forth between the two. I just interviewed at PCOM on Wednesday, so I've started to think about if I get in there too. I did decide to pay the large deposit at VCOM though. I figure that I would rather lose the deposit than the opportunity to attend the school. I was thinking about driving down there again to visit. I'm sure I'll also be stopping by UMDNJ and PCOM again soon since they're so close. How about yourself?

yea i have the umdnj account but i already had one since i did my master's with umdnj....but som stuff now appears which is new haha

i ended up putting down deposits at umdnj and pcom to buy myself some more time to think as well....i'm waiting to hear from 1 more school too so i might have a 3-way dilemma as well.....ahh decisions decisions haha

Got the interview call yesterday (1/19), received the interview info packet today. I was complete around 1/5. It seems like they're still looking for candidates, so if you're still waiting, good luck!

Got the interview call yesterday (1/19), received the interview info packet today. I was complete around 1/5. It seems like they're still looking for candidates, so if you're still waiting, good luck!

Congrats on the invite! I'm interviewing in a week and a half and was wondering if you would mind sharing with me what was in the interview packet you received. I received an e-mail with attachments including the interview letter, essential functions, and a parking voucher. Is that what was in your packet? I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything... I'm really interested in this school!

Thanks so much and best of luck. :)

Congrats on the invite! I'm interviewing in a week and a half and was wondering if you would mind sharing with me what was in the interview packet you received. I received an e-mail with attachments including the interview letter, essential functions, and a parking voucher. Is that what was in your packet? I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything... I'm really interested in this school!

Thanks so much and best of luck. :)

Congrats to you as well!

Anyway, I got the exact same thing. Also, I sent two emails. One was to Monique Kramer (the person who emailed me) to confirm receipt. The second was because the interview letter said to confirm intent and also because it said there would be directions attached, which there weren't. They never replied so I just let it go since I had technically confirmed with Monique and already planned out my travel itinerary.

Yeah, I'm really interested in this school as well. Good luck!

Last edited:
I called today and the admissions office told me my application was under review....Anybody know how often and when the committee actually meets?When should I hear back?
For those waiting I was complete 01/13....

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick summary of my travel experiences for anyone who might need it in the future for interviews:

I drove in from OOS and needed a place to stay for one night. For me, that place was the Howard Johnson Express in Bellmawr, about 5 miles from the UMDNJ campus.

The place is NOT the best hotel you've ever stayed at. However, the essentials are all there. The rooms are clean, free of any smells, and everything works. I was pleased to find that the heater didn't reek of mildew. Rooms have a TV, mini fridge, and free wireless internet (which was a wonderful thing to have). There's a basic breakfast in the morning - coffee/juice, bagels, etc. It gets the job done.

The best part is that a 2 bed room cost $55 through Kayak/Orbitz. Obviously your results may vary but if you've never been to the region and have a car, I think it's a good choice. Also, a tip: when you exit the HoJo to go to UMDNJ you can either turn right to go to the highway or left and take the local roads. If you've got a GPS or plan out a route beforehand (with that free wireless internet), the local roads are better since the highway is pretty congested. Plus, you get to actually see more of the area. The highway is set up so that you have to stop at the end of the on-ramp and try to wait for an opening. If you've got a not-zippy car like me, going from 0 - 60 is... hard.

Finally - if you're driving through Pennsylvania, it costs ~$33 in toll fees to cross the entire state. That buys you nice roads and plentiful, clean rest stops with eco-friendly bathrooms, but just be sure to have cash.

Last edited:
I called today and the admissions office told me my application was under review....Anybody know how often and when the committee actually meets?When should I hear back?
For those waiting I was complete 01/13....

Sorry Futuredoc, can't help you there. However, take what you will from this tidbit of information: the Admissions Committee meets on the third Friday of each month to determine acceptance/waitlist/rejection. I was offered an interview on 1/19 after being complete around 1/5 (and I'm OOS, gpa is nothing to write home about, strong MCAT). I'm not sure what the timelines for others have been like but it's possible perhaps that you just missed having your application reviewed for interview invitations.

In any case, I talked to a student at the interview who told me that he and one other classmate were accepted after interviewing on the final day of interviews. Don't give up! Best of luck to you.

Thanks Cheshyre for the feedback...Hope your interview went well and you get offered a spot!:0)

Thanks Cheshyre for the feedback...Hope your interview went well and you get offered a spot!:0)

Thanks! I'm one of those poor kids who fell hard for a school during their interview visit. I never thought I would say these words, but I would love to find myself in Jersey this year.

New Jersey would love to have you. We're all rootin' for ya. :)

That just made my night.

I'll keep everybody updated. Good luck to everyone else who's still waiting as well!

hey guys,

i was granted an interview, but i dnt think ill be able to make it, anyone canceling their interview for the week of February 22nd? Send me a pm or write on the message board, i gotta some how get that spot, because that's the only date i would be able to make....

Thanks

hey guys,

i was granted an interview, but i dnt think ill be able to make it, anyone canceling their interview for the week of February 22nd? Send me a pm or write on the message board, i gotta some how get that spot, because that's the only date i would be able to make....

Thanks

Wow.

I cannot wait for the Feb. 19th AdCom decision date. In fact, I'm so jittery about it that I've visited the UMDNJ website and read through both this thread and last year's UMDNJ discussion thread a couple times now. The reason? I don't know. I can't just sit still and wait.

During a break at work this morning, I saw that "UMDNJSOM" posted to the UMDNJ Discussion thread.

In the best "Charlie Brown misses the football" voice, "AUGH!" :scared:

What is up guys! Congrats on the acceptance to some of you and for the ones who are still waiting, BE POSITIVE!

I am an undergrad (junior). I plan on taking the MCAT in july and completing my application in August. I was wondering if that is too late? When did everyone else apply (and I don't have the best stats like the some of you --- 3.3 GPA).

What is up guys! Congrats on the acceptance to some of you and for the ones who are still waiting, BE POSITIVE!

I am an undergrad (junior). I plan on taking the MCAT in july and completing my application in August. I was wondering if that is too late? When did everyone else apply (and I don't have the best stats like the some of you --- 3.3 GPA).

I'm 3.3/3.1sgpa from a competitive undergrad institution, 35S MCAT. 2ndary complete 1/5, interview 1/28.

I wouldn't suggest doing that at all. Apply much earlier. Apply in June or July if you can, then crank out your secondaries. For many of my secondaries, I tried to make the essays perfect. It'd take me nearly a week to get out a single secondary at times. Don't do that. Get it to a point where you're happy and get them out there.

However, don't worry secondaries right now. You need to take the MCAT. You should shoot for earlier rather than later, but of course, if you can't prepare properly, don't take it. The test is $200 and 5 hours. You don't want to do it twice. Also, I'd say that you need at least 2 to 3 months of preparation. Especially for people like us with lower GPAs, MCAT performance is much more important.

There's a lot to do. Make sure your LORs are ready to go - those need 1 to 1.5 months of lead time. Go to office hours and get to know professors NOW if you have to, and do it repeatedly. GPA, of course, needs to stay as good as you can keep it. Add MCAT on top of this. It's going to be hard - nobody thinks applications are fun. However, it's doable. Keep your goals in mind. Best of luck.

I took the MCAT last July 31st and submitted my application as soon as my scores were available. I got an interview invite in November, actually went on the interview in december. You will probably be ok.

^^If you don't mind me asking; what were your stats like?

3.6 gpa, 3.3 sgpa...MCAT was awful...I mean seriously awful. The woman who interviewed me at umdnj said my LOR's and essays were really good and really counted a lot in my favor...so never underestimate the importance of them. good luck.

So someone totally needs to make a facebook group for us UMDNJ-SOM 2014'ers....is there one already does anyone know? If not maybe ill make one today or tmrw ill name it UMDNJ-SOM Class of 2014 so you can search for it

see you at accepted students day!

So someone totally needs to make a facebook group for us UMDNJ-SOM 2014'ers....is there one already does anyone know? If not maybe ill make one today or tmrw ill name it UMDNJ-SOM Class of 2014 so you can search for it

see you at accepted students day!

if you go into the osteopathic class threads, the umdnj-som class of 2014 thread has a link in one of the last posts

edit: here it is!
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=285565441359

anyone have an idea how full the class is?

anyone have a match list? i googled it but the links didn't work

Hey guys. I know that the next time adcom meets is Feb 19th, but I have a deposit due for NYCOM the very same day. Do any of you think there's any point in calling UMDNJ SOM admissions and asking if they can tell me the decision earlier? I wouldn't have bothered if the dates just weren't so close. Plus, the deposit for NYCOM is a hefty 1500. :smack:

Hey guys. I know that the next time adcom meets is Feb 19th, but I have a deposit due for NYCOM the very same day. Do any of you think there's any point in calling UMDNJ SOM admissions and asking if they can tell me the decision earlier? I wouldn't have bothered if the dates just weren't so close. Plus, the deposit for NYCOM is a hefty 1500. :smack:

In order to be accepted, your application needs to be reviewed by the entire admissions committee. Because they do not meet until the 19th, it is highly unlikely that the admissions office will tell you if you are accepted or not.

Losing deposits is part of the risk in applying to medical school. This is another reason it is so expensive to apply. You can check with NYCOM's policy on getting back the deposit or a portion of the deposit. When I received my acceptance to UMDNJ, I had already sent my deposit to UNECOM ($1000). When I withdrew my acceptance, they refunded me the entire amount even though I was under the impression that it was non refundable.

You can certainly try, but I am just giving you the heads up on what they more than likely will say. However, if they do tell you then I am glad to be proven wrong in this matter.

Thanks for the advice, EMT2ER-Doc. :) I figured as much.

Friday, Feb. 19th, 2010. Ye Gods.

Good luck to everybody who's got an admissions decision then! :luck:

Hopefully I'll get the chance to meet some of you fine people soon.

WAaaaaAAH! It's today!

Work is going to be interesting...

Good luck to everybody!

Oh my gosh I am so nervous! Does anyone know around what time the ADCOM meets and the calls go out? It's going to be a loooong day...

Best of luck to everyone! :xf:

Oh my gosh I am so nervous! Does anyone know around what time the ADCOM meets and the calls go out? It's going to be a loooong day...

Best of luck to everyone! :xf:

Seems like the usual time is 3-5pm, and if you don't get a call, there's a slim chance you might get one on Monday.

Yeep!

Seems like the usual time is 3-5pm, and if you don't get a call, there's a slim chance you might get one on Monday.

Yeep!

Thanks! Wow I'm freaking out much more than I initially thought I would. I hope my boss doesn't want overly focused work today... let the obsessive compulsive checking of SDN and my cell phone begin! lol

Yeep!

I got my call around 4:30pm and people got calls well after 5pm so try to relax until at least 3pm (I don't think anyone has really gotten calls before that)....best of luck!

I really didn't think Id be this nervous.. My interview went well and I really fell in love with the school. I havent slept all night because Im so nervous about that call after 3pm and I have a final 4-6! (Im on Quarters here at RIT). FINGERS CROSSED!!!!

i haven't heard anything yet either!! AHHHH i interviewed the 28th...I'm IS too.