UMDNJs- NJMS vs. RWJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

megkudos

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone has an opinion of which of these NJ State schools they would prefer. If you have a sec and would like to comment on why also, that would be awesome. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak for NJMS, but RWJ is an excellent program. I was very impressed with the students and faculty that I met there. Their primary care program is regarded very highly -- even is "ranked" by the gods at USNews&World Report. In addition, it is a bargain -- after 1 year of out of state tuition, you will be eligible to become a NJ resident and have in-state tuition. One thing that you have to decide at RWJ is whether you'll do your 3rd and 4th years at Camden or New Brunswick. Both clinical programs are reportedly excellent, and students match well from either clinical campus. Ultimately, I decided to attend another program, but I would definitely have been happy at RWJ. Hope this helps!

Regarding Camden or New Brunswick:

I can't comment on the program at either, but I can tell you plenty about both towns.

It will be cheaper to live in the area outside of Camden -- DO NOT live IN Camden if you can avoid it. I haven't been there in a while, but the last time I was, the city was so economically depressed that they could only fund 2 police cruisers, and the city was falling down around people's ears. There has been some improvement since then, but personally, I'd live in Philly or in N. Collingswood and take the speedline in to Camden. (I used to live in N. Collingswood which is right past the Camden border and walk to the train station every morning.) Philly is a great city, and the "suburban" area on the New Jersey side has become *very* developed. If you aren't a big fan of urban living and you have your own transportation, consider going a little further out, like Gloucester County. The commute isn't bad, the housing is resonable, and the area isn't so over-developed.

New Brunswick has nicknamed itself "Hub City" and a gateway to New York. I did my undergrad at Rutgers there and housing is *very* expensive for some not-so-nice places due to the fact that Rutgers cannot house its students and the slumlords have a captive market. When I moved out (way back in '87) they were getting $500/month for a basement effeciency that I would have been afraid to live in. The train to Penn Station in N.Y. is very convenient, though. Again, if you have your own transportation, try to find a place in Somerset or North Brunswick. The housing market will be much better.

(FYI, if you happen to be Orthodox Jewish, try to be in or near Highland Park. Kosher Restrant Central, big Orthodox community.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for your help everyone :)

megkudos, have you decided where to go yet?

Well I've pretty mcuh made up my mind that I'm going to go to NJ Med :) ...for a bunch of reasons I'll post later if anyone's interested....too tired now :)

Resurrecting an oldie. Can anyone recommend good places to live around both schools? Im fortunate to have gotten an acceptance from both schools and I would like to purchase a home/condo in the next few months.

X.O. said:
Resurrecting an oldie. Can anyone recommend good places to live around both schools? Im fortunate to have gotten an acceptance from both schools and I would like to purchase a home/condo in the next few months.

Near Newark - Bloomfield is nice. Not to far from UMDNJ. My friend went to the dental school and lived in bloomfield. The housing market is very steep in NJ unless you live in the decreped (sp) cities.

In New Brunswick - the school for RWJ is really in Piscataway so Edison or piscataway. There are lots of townhouses and condo type places on Medlars Lane. Highland park is pretty nice and a really cute little town.

I went to Rutgers undergrad - how I know some stuff.

krabmas said:
Near Newark - Bloomfield is nice. Not to far from UMDNJ. My friend went to the dental school and lived in bloomfield. The housing market is very steep in NJ unless you live in the decreped (sp) cities.

In New Brunswick - the school for RWJ is really in Piscataway so Edison or piscataway. There are lots of townhouses and condo type places on Medlars Lane. Highland park is pretty nice and a really cute little town.

I went to Rutgers undergrad - how I know some stuff.

Thanks for the info. Any take on Jersey City or Hoboken? Im leaning toward NJMS at the moment.

Hey X.O.,

How was your interview at NJMS? I have one coming up soon.

thanks!

X.O. said:
Thanks for the info. Any take on Jersey City or Hoboken? Im leaning toward NJMS at the moment.

Hoboken is nicer than Jersey City but hoboken is also very pricey due to so many NYCers moving there.

The prices in Hoboken are about the same as NYC and parking is hard.

Other than that it's great, close to NYC, and great bars in hoboken.

at NJMS you can look at society hill which is a bunch of townhome/condos that are within 2-5blocks (depending on where u end up living) from school

By 2006 they will have their dorms so for the C/O 2010, its very convenient

For the prospective NJMS 2009 peeps... does anyone know if NJMS is going to have some meet'n'greet anytime so that we can meet potential roommates and find out about housing?

Members don't see this ad :)
X.O. said:

The majority of students at RWJ live in Society Hill here too, which has a development both in North Brunswick, and Piscataway. I actually live in the city of New Brunswick, and I don't think you want to move there. :)

UDbiochem said:
For the prospective NJMS 2009 peeps... does anyone know if NJMS is going to have some meet'n'greet anytime so that we can meet potential roommates and find out about housing?

usually they have a breakfast luncheon for the incoming class near the end of january - housing they wont really give you any information about until the 2nd luncheon which is in May

Yeah info has been sparse from both UMDNJs. When does the post-acceptance wooing begin :D.

I checked out the Society Hill condos near NJMS and the proximity is nice but the new dorms and higher mortgage rates just seem like a recipe for disaster for buying anything around there. Im also pretty sure that my class attendance will be the teens if that :laugh:.

X.O. said:
Yeah info has been sparse from both UMDNJs. When does the post-acceptance wooing begin :D.

I checked out the Society Hill condos near NJMS and the proximity is nice but the new dorms and higher mortgage rates just seem like a recipe for disaster for buying anything around there. Im also pretty sure that my class attendance will be the teens if that :laugh:.

there is no real "wooing" for both schools

At NJMS you get the 2 luncheons - one in january and one in may which is combined with "housing day"

On that housing day, you look mostly at a few areas - society hill, the townhomes in the ironbound (i suggest against it because of the route 21 traffic in the morning that can make it a long commute). Also, there is a financial aid part in one of the seminars but once again, that is useless since they direct you to the website

over the course of june u just have to get ur immunizations and paperwork for financial aid done

at the end of july (last week)/ or first week of august, you get a schedule for orientation

AND - for all those that will hate hearing the advice to the questions "what should i do in the summer prior to med school" you get the traditional answer of "have as much fun as you can before starting"

X.O. said:

Hey there,

This is my first post, so forgive me if I make any grave mistakes. I was recently accepted to NJMS and am planning on probably attending next fall. Currently I live in Hoboken and commute (drive) work at NJMS in a Neuroscience lab everyday. From the "time to get to school" perspective it takes me about 25-30 minutes in the morning along Route 1 and 9 around 8:30 AM . I take a different route back to Hoboken during rush hour around 5:00 PM (along route 280 and 530) and that takes about 25-45 minutes depending on traffic. All and all it's not to much of a hassle unless there's an accident of some sort, in which case you'll be pounding your head against the steering wheel for an hour or more. (But again, that's only in the absolute worst cases.)

Otherwise, Hoboken is a great place to live thus far. I got a nice apt with a friend of mine. It costs ~1000 per month and includes a parking spot. But anyway, if anyone would like any more info please let me know.

i think that there is a luncheon on Jan. 7th.....thats wat the director of admissions told me...i think its still tentative....hope to see yall there...

do NJMS students still stay together as a class throughout medschool?

also, is there still the "physician's core" program?

thanks

do NJMS students still stay together as a class throughout medschool?

also, is there still the "physician's core" program?

thanks
Wow....
First of all, thanks for using the search function, I think you might be the first person who ever made a search before creating a new thread.

And the answer is yes to both of your questions.

Wow....
First of all, thanks for using the search function, I think you might be the first person who ever made a search before creating a new thread.

And the answer is yes to both of your questions.

thanks chuckrock! :)

Hey all,
I just got accepted into NJMS, and I just wanted to know (for the people who go there), what you absolutely love/like about the school and maybe some of the things you can't stand.!!

yay!

Hi, I just relocate from Long Island to New Milford. Can anyone tell me:

1)What do they use for step 2 ck?

2)Does anyone what to go over High yield info for step 2ck?

If interested please email me at [email protected] of PM me on this forum.