Unbalanced MCAT score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BobbyJoe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the MCAT back in July and I got a 520 (CP - 130, CAR - 131, BB - 128, PsS - 131). Will medical schools question my lower score on the BB section?

Members don't see this ad.

128 is between a 10 and an 11, so it's a little low compared to everything else, but it's not going to really raise any eyebrows. Congratulations on a solid score and stop worrying.

I have NO idea of the new MCAT scoring - so my input probably won't help (wouldn't mind if someone explained as I am not that motivated to look up conversions).

But the scores appear pretty damn close?

My MCAT ranged from 6-15,lol

Edit: Does anyone know why they changed the grading system?
could've just done 45+15, and made it out of 60 instead

Members don't see this ad :)
I have NO idea of the new MCAT scoring - so my input probably won't help (wouldn't mind if someone explained as I am not that motivated to look up conversions).

I think that would be too confusing in the first few years when some applicants have the old scoring system and some applicants took the test with the new scoring system. For example, if someone took the new test with the scoring system you are saying, and got a 9 on each of the 4 parts, that would be a 36. That is a good score for the old scale but maybe an average score for your said new scale. So it is more of a hassle for Adcoms to look and see if they took the old or new test. But maybe they did it for a better reason?

yeah you probably won't even get an interview with that horrible bio score OP... :rofl:

Reactions: 1 user

They wanted to increase the number ranges for overall percentiles. Hypothetically two people could score a thirty with 4 question correct difference. Now those two people get a 508 and a 509. Something like that.

Oh my God. Really? You're worried about a 520? Please stop.

Reactions: 1 user
This must be devastating for you, I haven't been able to stop crying since I read this.

Reactions: 2 users
Have you ever mentioned your MCAT score to random people on the street, OP?

I'm just wondering if I apply to top schools like Duke, Stanford, Baylor, etc. if they won't like that BB wasn't as high as the other sections. I've always heard it's better to get straight 130's than to score all over the place.

I'm just wondering if I apply to top schools like Duke, Stanford, Baylor, etc. if they won't like that BB wasn't as high as the other sections. I've always heard it's better to get straight 130's than to score all over the place.

Apply anywhere. You're fine.