UNC Dental- Applying 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good question...first year my problem was my interview and of course i was lacking in volunteer and shadowing hours. Second year I upped my volunteer hours big time working with the NC Missions of Mercy and also upped my shadowing hours big time working along side two periodontists in Raleigh as well as my family dentist in raleigh. I have 5 years of research under my belt with two first author publications (heart disease). I worked on my interview skills and the past 3 years i have scored a 9 out of 9 on my interviews. Also threw a little biochem in the mix cause i never took it as an undergrad!! I hope it all finally works out for me!!

how do you know you got a 9 out of 9?

and have they stopped calling tonight....will they continue tomorrow? lol can u tell im anxious?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats Ann. WOW, I just saw you took the MCAT and scored a 37Q. How did you end up applying to dental school and did they inquire about it at your interview. Haha, I worked in a hospital for one summer, and at my interview the first thing my faculty interviewer said was, "looking over your app everything looks good, but one thing really stood out, which I found interesting. How and why were you working in a hospital????"

I ended up applying to dental school because I realized that I really liked dentistry after shadowing some dentists and doing some volunteer work in a dental clinic. So, I ended up applying to both med and dental school this year...because I really wanted to see which med schools I can get in with my score and stuff...and a part of me felt that if i didnt apply to med school, I'm wasting my MCAT score. Only 2 of the places I applied to asked me about why I applied to both schools...and I told them I applied out of curiosity. They didn't really seem to mind that much.

Sorry I meant to say the past two years Ive gotten a 9 out of 9 I have no clue what I got this year. But I found out by speaking to the former Dean of Admissions Dr. Guckes

Members don't see this ad :)
and have they stopped calling tonight....will they continue tomorrow? lol can u tell im anxious?

I hope so. Don't think everyone would have time to make all the calls today. :xf: Geez, you got into 6 schools and you're anxious??

Annnn!! Congrats! :thumbup::thumbup:

people who got the call today might be the minorities who also got the scholarships? How about you Ann? Did you get it?

omg...the anxiety is killing me...UNC is my top choice, and my fiance was already accepted to Duke law

This cycle sucks for NC residents. Next cycle UNC will increase from 81 seats to 100 seats (the majority being instate) and ECU will have 50 at its new school(NC residents only) :thumbup:

has anyone heard anything this morning??

haha yea you gotta train to get used to it...imagine 4 years worth of this!! But im right there with ya, im goin nuts...I just want to get on with my life!

13 users are viewing this thread right now... PEOPLE, have some compassion and once you get a call, let us know here.

Last edited:
This cycle sucks for NC residents. Next cycle UNC will increase from 81 seats to 100 seats (the majority being instate) and ECU will have 50 at its new school(NC residents only) :thumbup:

So if you get in a private college this year but not UNC, would you reject and apply again next year to save money?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard it's near to impossible to transfer dental schools. And if apply for 1st year - what's the point of wasting 1 whole year on tuition in private school?

??? lol I don't know? I am not applying this cycle I am just procrastinating instead of studying for exams it just sucks for you guys.

??? lol I don't know? I am not applying this cycle I am just procrastinating instead of studying for exams it just sucks for you guys.
why are you even on this thread? making fun of us? don't you think we know it sucks for NC residents this year? just keep on loughing... your time will come... :poke:

Annnn!! Congrats! :thumbup::thumbup:

people who got the call today might be the minorities who also got the scholarships? How about you Ann? Did you get it?

Thank you!!! I'm super excited!!!! I didn't get the scholarship...I didn't even know UNC dental school offered a scholarship...but good luck to you!!!! I hope you hear good news soon!!!!

I just called the admissions department. She said that everyone who was extended an acceptance has been notified by phone.:( Not sure if she just didnt want to tell me my status or not.

Congrats to everyone that got in.

I just called the admissions department. She said that everyone who was extended an acceptance has been notified by phone.:( Not sure if she just didnt want to tell me my status or not.

Congrats to everyone that got in.

I'm choosing not to believe that. Especially since only 5/30 people on predents got accepted. :(

I'm choosing not to believe that. Especially since only 5/30 people on predents got accepted. :(
UNC is VERY selective in respect to their December acceptances. It's not like other schools where they send out enough acceptances to fill their class, UNC only attempts to fill half their class with the top candidates, and expects everyone who they extended acceptances to, to commit. This is the picture that I have been painted after talking to people and reading this forum. Sarah Bellum, or a current student, correct me if I am wrong.

What is all this about "this cycle sucks for NC residents" ?

Why so?

So if you get in a private college this year but not UNC, would you reject and apply again next year to save money?
I do not recommend anyone do this. There is NEVER a guarantee that you will be accepted into a dental school. If you have been accepted somewhere and are rejected from UNC, make a rational decision.

What is all this about "this cycle sucks for NC residents" ?

Why so?
ECU opens a dental school next year so increased chances being accepted to a NC program with in-state tuition. And UNC will expand it's class size by 20 in 2011 or 2012. 10 to in-state students and 10 to OOS students. This cycle does not suck for NC residents, yet in the future there will be more options. And with ECU being a new public institution, I imagine they will accept 100% in-state students

Well ... looking at 2009 ... it looks like about 5/30 were accepted in Dec.:scared:

But since you are out of state I would think you have a better chance of someone OOS declining UNC's offer and you getting accepted later.

Congrats to those accepted and good luck to everyone in Feb or at other schools.

Clueless applicants like you fail to realize that some dental schools accept students from their bordering or in proximity states. For example, Louisville extends many acceptances to NC residents and also VCU to some extent. Since you will probably ask for evidence, go look at NC applicants profiles at predents.com

in my opinion, UNC's acceptance process is very strange. I would think they lose a lot of students by only admitting a small portion of their class on december 1st. How many students are going to wait till february 1st if they have been accepted at another school?? idk, maybe im wrong.....

yea that's what I think too...I'm not sure what I'm going to do since I have to accept/reject other schools by mid January and I even have one last interview around that time. Being considered "twice" once in Dec and another in Feb seems like a good thing but it can be a little up in there air trying to coordinate with other school's schedules

in my opinion, UNC's acceptance process is very strange. I would think they lose a lot of students by only admitting a small portion of their class on december 1st. How many students are going to wait till february 1st if they have been accepted at another school?? idk, maybe im wrong.....
I agree with you. If I was OOS I would move on, especially if I had good options (this is my personal opinion, not suggestion). Unfortunately, the majority of in-state students will hold out for that in-state tuition, plus UNC is a great school. I know a lot of kids who interview pre-december end up getting in, in February. With that in mind, what changes about their file from December until February? I know this happens all the time at private schools where students get accepted and go elsewhere, so students are chosen off the waitlist. But we're talking about a prestigious public school. I can't imagine many NC residents turning a Dec. acceptance down...

Yeah, I agree. Plus, the more you think about it, it seems like not only would it be in our best interest but also UNC. If only half of the class is accepted Dec, with most if not all of the total OOS students being accepted at that time, I would imagine most of the people UNC would call up next in Feb would also have acceptances at other schools. Although for all intense and purposes most applicants are well qualified to be future dentists, it seems to kind of defeat the whole purpose of UNC trying to pick the next best applicants..

My friend was told the same thing by her predent advisor yesterday afternoon before more people posted they received later calls, so who knows what's going on.

Clueless applicants like you fail to realize that some dental schools accept students from their bordering or in proximity states. For example, Louisville extends many acceptances to NC residents and also VCU to some extent. Since you will probably ask for evidence, go look at NC applicants profiles at predents.com
ECU will only take nc residents just like ECU brody school of medicine has NEVER in its history accept an applicant that is not a North Carolina resident not from TN VA SC or GA ever

I think it makes sense, why OOS students at UNC get first pick... If u are In-State, and not get picked by Dec, you would deposit w/ other school, but still go to UNC if accepted in Jan - because u will only loose deposit and win in-state tuition.
If you are OOS, and get accepted in Jan - most likely u already accepted and deposited w/ other school and would not want to loose the deposit unless UNC is THAT much more appealing to you.
Hence OOS get first pick and in states are left last - because eventually we will have no choice but to accept and loose the deposit... Cruel, I think, but IMHO - true...

I think it makes sense, why OOS students at UNC get first pick... If u are In-State, and not get picked by Dec, you would deposit w/ other school, but still go to UNC if accepted in Jan - because u will only loose deposit and win in-state tuition.
If you are OOS, and get accepted in Jan - most likely u already accepted and deposited w/ other school and would not want to loose the deposit unless UNC is THAT much more appealing to you.
Hence OOS get first pick and in states are left last - because eventually we will have no choice but to accept and loose the deposit... Cruel, I think, but IMHO - true...
Yea, what you say makes perfect sense. But my question is why do they not send out 65+ in-state offers and theoretically try to fill the class, as most schools do? Do they feel that out of all 200+ in-state applicants they have interviewed already, they don't have enough ideal candidates, or do they want to give the January interviewees a fair shot??

ECU will only take nc residents just like ECU brody school of medicine has NEVER in its history accept an applicant that is not a North Carolina resident not from TN VA SC or GA ever

Yeah so what, everyone is well aware of that fact. Just because a new school is opening does not mean that you can get in with subpar stats. The only difference ECU will make is that applicants who once chose to go out of state because they did not get into their first choice (UNC) will have the option to stay in state.

Yeah so what, everyone is well aware of that fact. Just because a new school is opening does not mean that you can get in with subpar stats. The only difference ECU will make is that applicants who once chose to go out of state because they did not get into their first choice (UNC) will have the option to stay in state.
who said sub par stats? nvm your right I am wrong and I love you.

Can any1 confirm they are done giving out acceptances for December? As an out of stater, this is a very depressing day lol

Can any1 confirm they are done giving out acceptances for December? As an out of stater, this is a very depressing day lol

dude....you have been accepted to EIGHT (8!!) different schools...some people on here would kill to have at least ONE acceptance!

I'm fairly sure they've notified everyone via telephone, but that's just based on their history.

Don't get down. I had the first interview date and wasn't accepted until early February.

I just called the Admissions Office and they said that they are in the process of notifying everyone.

dude....you have been accepted to EIGHT (8!!) different schools...some people on here would kill to have at least ONE acceptance!

yea i know...i'm just saying that i was hoping for unc...it's my 1st choice

I just called the Admissions Office and they said that they are in the process of notifying everyone.

I am guessing this is someone's idea of having fun ... first post ... troll

I got really excited when I just got a call from a 919 number... but alas, it was just the UNC alumni fund asking me for money. :bang: If they let me in, I will be able to give back more later!

A 6th person just said they got in according to Predents. However, not a lot of info to go off of (other than insane DAT scores), and UNC did not have a Sept. 26 interview. :rolleyes:

lets settle it....some1 find out if they are done or not for december lol

when I head to work tomorrow Id be glad to walk over there to find out for everyone if ya like...but historically they do all of their accepting in a very short time frame (which unfortunately has passed)...sucks!!

just talked to Dr. Morano.
yes, they are done for Dec.
if you didn't get in Dec, please don't give up your hope for unc yet! lots of people get in Feb, so you just need wait two more mo! GL!!