UNC Dental- Applying 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just stopped by and asked the academic affairs office when the last round of interview invites (January) are going out for you guys: The end of next week!

Hope this helps. :xf:Good luck!:luck:

I'll be there!! Invited for an interview Jan. 9th. I'm an in-stater though.

Members don't see this ad.

received my interview invite via email shortly before 3:00 PM. look forward to meeting some of you there...

note: please check your spam folders...that's where I found my invite. thanks to everyone for the heads up that it would come this week, otherwise i may not have thought to check for it.

-waystinthyme

Can you tell me what the subject line was for the email that your received? I don't want to miss it accidentally if it ends up in spam. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you tell me what the subject line was for the email that your received? I don't want to miss it accidentally if it ends up in spam. Thanks!

'Interview for UNC School of Dentistry'

-waystinthyme

All I see in my spam is en1arge yourpen1s size :-/
Hope they haven't finished sending all of them out.

Got the interview invitation through email on Jan 9th.
Looking forward to meeting everybody there!
I am in-state.

Last edited:
when did you submit your secondary app?

Around the begining of oct, (late I know). They cashed my check for my secondary the 1st week of dec, so I was hopeful.

first time i applied I also submitted in oct and didnt get an interview. Second time i submitted in sep and got jan interview and this time submitted in aug and got a nov interview. Keep in mind they are reviewing around 950 completed files, they are facaulty and they have a practice to run so they are extremely busy people. I'm sure there are people who applied late but still got an interview but why take the chance.The early the better. Why did you apply to only 1 school?

Congrats to Jan interviewees!! Make a predent profile so we can see what kind of competitors everyone else is against:)

first time i applied I also submitted in oct and didnt get an interview. Second time i submitted in sep and got jan interview and this time submitted in aug and got a nov interview. Keep in mind they are reviewing around 950 completed files, they are facaulty and they have a practice to run so they are extremely busy people. I'm sure there are people who applied late but still got an interview but why take the chance.The early the better. Why did you apply to only 1 school?

My wife and I recently purchased a house, and she works locally, so moving really wasn't an option. I'm going to contact them and see if applying late was the major problem, get my stuff together and apply again early when things are so hectic.

Thanks for the info about what you went through. I'll keep that in mind. This next time around I should be able to have everything submitted in June/July

Members don't see this ad :)
just checked my statement and my check was cashed beginning of oct and remember for each interview UNC picks 64 people. So applying early prob means that you are competing against small applicant pool since not everyone has submitted their secondary apps. Also save your secondary application answers for the next time so you can make minor changes (if those answers are okay) and submit most of it as is and that only takes likes few minutes. Make sure you make backup copy, my hdd crashed and I was lucky that I had made a backup copy of everything on a flashdrive.

just checked my statement and my check was cashed beginning of oct and remember for each interview UNC picks 64 people. So applying early prob means that you are competing against small applicant pool since not everyone has submitted their secondary apps. Also save your secondary application answers for the next time so you can make minor changes (if those answers are okay) and submit most of it as is and that only takes likes few minutes. Make sure you make backup copy, my hdd crashed and I was lucky that I had made a backup copy of everything on a flashdrive.

Thanks, good advice. I'll keep that in mind. Good luck!

Just called, all interviews have been given out already. Only chance is if someone who got invite for interview rejects to it.

Just called, all interviews have been given out already. Only chance is if someone who got invite for interview rejects to it.

Thanks for the info. I called yesterday but never heard back from them. Good luck at the interviews!

My AADSAS application was sent out Sep 1st but I didn't submit my secondary application until Nov 14th after I retook the DAT. My status on AADSAS changed to "Under review" last Thursday 12/10 then I got interview invitation this Tuesday. But my check was still not cashed yet. Hope this help!

Last edited:
My AADSAS application was sent out Sep 1st but I didn't submit my secondary application until Nov 14th after I retook the DAT score. My status on AADSAS changed to "Under review" last Thursday 12/10 then I got interview invitation on this Tuesday. But my check was still not cashed yet. Hope this help!

Interesting. Well, they invited who they felt were the best candidates. I'll get my stuff in order for next cycle.

Don't lose your hope yet....I thought there still couple interview spots left.

They invited 64 people, I'm guessing atleast one or two might decline because they got in somewhere else, busy that day, etc.. But chances of us getting that are really slim it seems.

Btw, I submitted all my stuff in July and even secondary in first week of August and even targeted a little of my personal statement (which I used for 19 schools) towards UNC. And I attend UNC undergrad... I dont know how I didn't even get an interview.

They invited 64 people, I'm guessing atleast one or two might decline because they got in somewhere else, busy that day, etc.. But chances of us getting that are really slim it seems.

Btw, I submitted all my stuff in July and even secondary in first week of August and even targeted a little of my personal statement (which I used for 19 schools) towards UNC. And I attend UNC undergrad... I dont know how I didn't even get an interview.

That's the way it goes man, I'm in a similar situation as you, but there are lots of people who desperately wanted to get in to school and didn't. We can only try to improve what we can to increase our chances. There is always next cycle, which might be easier being a NC resident with ECU opening and UNC class size increasing. Things will work out.

January interviewees' only disadvantage is your file is only reviewed once. They've already reviewed all the pre-december interviewees files once and chose to pass up on us. Not a great feeling and quite discouraging. Makes me want to go elsewhere. They will review our's again come early February. I honestly don't believe this puts you at too much of a disadvantage.

Last edited:

I see you got into NYU. Congratulations! Are planning on going there? (if it ends up being the only option)

I guess to me it would pose a dilemma. Would you wait another year and try your chances for instate? I mean if I got into NYU or U of Pacific it makes you think.... if it might be a good idea to try instate again to try to save money. I mean NYU will probably end up costing 350,000+. But there's a chance we could go through the whole process again next year and not get in anywhere. Just checking to see what you think.

I guess my choice would probably be to go with the sure thing ... and go wherever I got accepted. (if that happens... I haven't got accepted anywhere)

your gpa is the question. do a one year masters in biology or medical sciences, rape the living crap out of it (not easy, this will be hard and take dedication) and you will more than likely be granted an interview if you submit earlier as well. i'm talking june/july have EVERYTHING submitted.

also according to your predent profile, what exactly is "some volunteer work". you might want to go abroad and do some sort of mission because unc definitely cares about serving the community and you have to show that you are dedicated to service.

well, when Feb rolls around I look forward to talking to them about my application.

For those who have applied to UNC in past cycles, is the admission office helpful in telling you your weak areas?

well, when Feb rolls around I look forward to talking to them about my application.

For those who have applied to UNC in past cycles, is the admission office helpful in telling you your weak areas?

Yes. Schedule an appointment with the Assistant Dean of Admissions earlyl next summer (May/June), talk to him about what you need to do. He'll be helpful, but don't ask him if you'll get in because he will have no idea until he can compare you to other applicants. It's a good time to gain valuable information as well as for the Admissions Committee to get a good look at your face/personality even before the applications begin. Make up some questions before hand and don't take it to be an interview because it isn't an interview, just a good chance to get to know him and get your name out there.

Yes. Schedule an appointment with the Assistant Dean of Admissions earlyl next summer (May/June), talk to him about what you need to do.

Isn't May/june kinda late? Thats the time when you should be filling in aadsas. Are you reapplicant DDMess?

Isn't May/june kinda late? Thats the time when you should be filling in aadsas. Are you reapplicant DDMess?

its more about building a relationship with the adcoms than anything else. most people know what the weak areas of their application are. you need to show that you are making those improvements in all areas. they want well-rounded professionals.

Yes. Schedule an appointment with the Assistant Dean of Admissions earlyl next summer (May/June), talk to him about what you need to do. He'll be helpful, but don't ask him if you'll get in because he will have no idea until he can compare you to other applicants. It's a good time to gain valuable information as well as for the Admissions Committee to get a good look at your face/personality even before the applications begin. Make up some questions before hand and don't take it to be an interview because it isn't an interview, just a good chance to get to know him and get your name out there.

Good advice, I'll look into doing that.

Last edited:
most people know what the weak areas of their application are.

True, I just feel my application is weird because I have some weak areas, things I tried to do to improve those weak areas and a few things that make me different. I think meeting with them and just talking my application over would help a great deal. Thanks again for the advice.

January interviewees' only disadvantage is your file is only reviewed once. They've already reviewed all the pre-december interviewees files once and chose to pass up on us. Not a great feeling and quite discouraging. Makes me want to go elsewhere. They will review our's again come early February. I honestly don't believe this puts you at too much of a disadvantage.

You got the whole thing wrong. I meant the people who didn't get interviews so far have a very very slim chance, if any chance.

You got the whole thing wrong. I meant the people who didn't get interviews so far have a very very slim chance, if any chance.
Oh, my bad. Yea going back and reading your statement, I am not sure why I thought you were talking about acceptance... Maybe that's why I got a 19 on RC

last round of interviews jan 9th guys...i got an interview...yes!!!

Congrats to all the Jan 9th interviewers! Best of luck to you. Anyone have any ideas when the ad com is meeting in January?? I know last year I found out 1st week in Feb that I was waitlisted. Just curious if anyone knows the exact date yet? I have to start praying specifics - lol. :xf:

Congrats to all those with Jan. interviews. Be sure sure to keep us up to date if yall hear any new info. about the process or exactly when they call for the last of the acceptances.

anyone want to talk about their Jan 9th interview experience?

to those who just interviewed on the 9th.....any word on when final round of acceptances are being sent out?

FYI, the admissions committee is meeting on January 27th.

FYI, the admissions committee is meeting on January 27th.
Wow, that's a week earlier than I thought it would be. Does this mean they will be giving out calls that same week or wait till Feb?

It was great seeing everyone at the pizza social last Friday, during the tours, and at the student panel. If you guys have any lingering questions please don't hesitate to ask. Also, there's a fB group set up for the UNC DDS 2014 class already, so please join when you find out in a couple weeks. Good Luck.:thumbup:

anyone know how many OOS people have been accepted to unc? I think my interview went well but it won't matter if x OOS people have already committed...

that aside, the school is beautiful. i want.

Well I know that they aren't full yet if that's what your asking. There were OOS interviewees at last week's and it would've been pointless to invite more if the the spaces were already filled.

10 out of 16 OOS offers have been made according to someone in the admissions office.

10 out of 16 OOS offers have been made according to someone in the admissions office.

:xf:

i don't want to get my hopes up but wow i fell in love with unc on sat... :oops:

regardless of what happens unc is a beautiful school. had some really humble interviewers. hectic day but surprisingly well organized. ughhhh now i have to wait till early/mid february -_-

:xf:

i don't want to get my hopes up but wow i fell in love with unc on sat... :oops:

regardless of what happens unc is a beautiful school. had some really humble interviewers. hectic day but surprisingly well organized. ughhhh now i have to wait till early/mid february -_-
UNC has a great reputation and I too would love to go there, but I am curious what it was about UNC that appealed to you so much. The campus is amazing, but the interview day runs so quickly you really don't have much of a chance to see the school or get a feel for it. I am just curious because you really do seem to love it.
After I left my interview, I had a positive feeling toward the faculty and students, but was indifferent when it came to the facilities, just because I didn't even really get to soak in the surroundings.

students may be getting acceptance phone calls by the end of jan since Jan 27th is a wednesday. I remember people started getting phone calls right after the selection meeting this past december.

And if SDN and pre-dents are reliable, which they may not be, at least 2 of the 10 offers have been turned down.