Apr 11, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
A resident of NC and got accepted to both UNC SOM and ECU Brody SOM. Could use some help on deciding which to pick. I have listed my mental checklist of pros and cons for each:

ECU: Positives
1) Financials: I got nominated for Brody Scholar so if I get it, I would get a tuition full ride there. Plus ECU is about 20K cheaper per year
2) Very Small class size (~80) compared to 200 for UNC

Cons:
1) Greenville doesn't have a lot of opportunities (mainly concerned about research)
2) NOT pass/fail
3) Primary care isn't currently my top choice specialty. I will likely want to get a competitive residency program.

UNC: Positives
1) I did undergrad here so I already have an extensive network and research connections
2) Pass/fail
3) Higher ranked than ECU
4) In a much better location

Cons:
1) Huge class size
2) More expensive than ECU (specially if I get the full ride at ECU)

So, overall, I guess the biggest question is given these pros and cons, is it worth to go to UNC with a potentially much higher loan burden than ECU with a full ride.

About the Ads

u_raptor

Victim of the Mayo bamboozle
2+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
I would also vote UNC, having also interviewed at both.

ECU is VERY primary care focused. While you can definitely see and do a lot coming from ECU (they have a good hospital, and I am sure students there match to all specialties), the focus means you will be off set from the beginning. Beyond that the graded curriculum, imo, is a huge con. A lot of students seemed stressed about it, especially compared to UNC (which seemed less stressed overall). UNC, while the class is big, will have both more opportunities and a pass/fail so less stress.
Since you obviously qualified for in state tuition, UNC is already pretty cheap iirc. If you get a full ride, then it may be worth going to brody just because no debt is a huge stress relief and adds to earning years. However, without the full ride, I would say UNC is worth the price tag.

Reactions: 1 user
Apr 11, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Have you made a choice? I am in the same situation except I am graduating from ECU for undergrad. Thus, I have research connections and physician connections at Brody not UNC. I am conflicted between the two. I am trying to decide if UNC's better reputation and matching is worth it. I figure I can make new connections and at UNC I can start a similar project to what I want to continue at Brody.
Yes I decided to go to UNC since they are much higher ranked in terms of both research and primary care (https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-medical-schools). From the conversations I have had with current medical students, they believe that since STEP 1 is now pass/fail, it is very likely that school ranking/prestige will matter much more if you are interested in a competitive residency. Also, many of them suggested that the additional loan burden from going to UNC wont be that bad since I am in state (I am guessing you are too). I realize that its already May 1st but hopefully this was helpful!

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.