This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OccamsRazor97

Reaction score
A resident of NC and got accepted to both UNC SOM and ECU Brody SOM. Could use some help on deciding which to pick. I have listed my mental checklist of pros and cons for each:

ECU: Positives
1) Financials: I got nominated for Brody Scholar so if I get it, I would get a tuition full ride there. Plus ECU is about 20K cheaper per year
2) Very Small class size (~80) compared to 200 for UNC

Cons:
1) Greenville doesn't have a lot of opportunities (mainly concerned about research)
2) NOT pass/fail
3) Primary care isn't currently my top choice specialty. I will likely want to get a competitive residency program.

UNC: Positives
1) I did undergrad here so I already have an extensive network and research connections
2) Pass/fail
3) Higher ranked than ECU
4) In a much better location

Cons:
1) Huge class size
2) More expensive than ECU (specially if I get the full ride at ECU)

So, overall, I guess the biggest question is given these pros and cons, is it worth to go to UNC with a potentially much higher loan burden than ECU with a full ride.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would also vote UNC, having also interviewed at both.

ECU is VERY primary care focused. While you can definitely see and do a lot coming from ECU (they have a good hospital, and I am sure students there match to all specialties), the focus means you will be off set from the beginning. Beyond that the graded curriculum, imo, is a huge con. A lot of students seemed stressed about it, especially compared to UNC (which seemed less stressed overall). UNC, while the class is big, will have both more opportunities and a pass/fail so less stress.
Since you obviously qualified for in state tuition, UNC is already pretty cheap iirc. If you get a full ride, then it may be worth going to brody just because no debt is a huge stress relief and adds to earning years. However, without the full ride, I would say UNC is worth the price tag.

Reactions: 1 user
Have you made a choice? I am in the same situation except I am graduating from ECU for undergrad. Thus, I have research connections and physician connections at Brody not UNC. I am conflicted between the two. I am trying to decide if UNC's better reputation and matching is worth it. I figure I can make new connections and at UNC I can start a similar project to what I want to continue at Brody.
Yes I decided to go to UNC since they are much higher ranked in terms of both research and primary care (https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-medical-schools). From the conversations I have had with current medical students, they believe that since STEP 1 is now pass/fail, it is very likely that school ranking/prestige will matter much more if you are interested in a competitive residency. Also, many of them suggested that the additional loan burden from going to UNC wont be that bad since I am in state (I am guessing you are too). I realize that its already May 1st but hopefully this was helpful!

Reactions: 1 user