Underage drinking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rfathi1

Post-bacc student
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If someone got an ordinance violation for underage consumption of alcohol in college, does that kill their med school chances? Also, does anyone know a way to check one's record? Just to make sure.

Members don't see this ad.

If i was on the admissions committee I would not let anyone in who did NOT drink underage.

But i dont think it shows up on your permanent record so don't worry about it.

LOL if med schools rejected everyone who ever drunk underage, we would have whole another crisis in healthcare.

Members don't see this ad :)
If someone got an ordinance violation for underage consumption of alcohol in college, does that kill their med school chances? Also, does anyone know a way to check one's record? Just to make sure.

Such shocking moral turpitude and blatant disregard for the law might not keep you out of med school, but when you apply for your liscense to practice medicine, they will surely deny you.

Such shocking moral turpitude and blatant disregard for the law might not keep you out of med school, but when you apply for your liscense to practice medicine, they will surely deny you.

And that is EXACTLY what you should say if a question like this came up in an interview. It would show you're not *$#%ing around...

I think it's funny when people assume you have to be some sort of saint with an absolutely spotless record to be considered a candidate for medicine. Granted, things like a DUI or assault charge will certainly keep you out of med school, med students are all people too. Most of them have done all the same stuff as other college students, like drinking underage and even *gasp* smoke pot! A minor charge like that won't break you, you just may have to give a 2-3 sentence explanation of it in an interview if you decide to disclose it for some reason (which I don't think is wise). Anyway, stop worrying. You'll be fine as long as your stats are kosher.

Dont worry about it. you can order a background check on yourself the process varies by state... in texas its pretty easy

well... I am in a similar situation, first, know that in my state a "MIP" or minor in possession, is a misdemeanor, so yes, it is on your permanant record and med schools may see it when they look at your record. I have applied to jobs with background checks and it has come up, because I have had to talk about it in interviews. Also, whoever posted before this is absolutely not correct, MANY adcoms, advisors, etc have assured me this will not stop me from becoming a doctor.

Last year I applied to PA schools and I had NO problems getting interviews/acceptances to good schools like GW, etc... I had to explain the incident, talk about it in an interview, explain how I regret the disregard for the law, etc. but they understand making mistakes. I have so far had similar experiences with the med school process, I have to explain it on most secondaries (the dreaded "check the box if you have been committed of a crime other than a minor traffic violation" ha), but it did not stop me from getting an early interview at MSU, and it did not come up once while there. SO... just explain the incident well, do NOT have any more problems, and hopefully it will remain in your past and you can move on to become a great physician! Good luck!!

Also, whoever posted before this is absolutely not correct, MANY adcoms, advisors, etc have assured me this will not stop me from becoming a doctor.

I'm pretty sure noone said this will stop anyone from getting in... except in sarcasm...

Lozza: I'm sorry, I did not mean that towards you... the forum was going sooo quickly, i meant towards whoever was up a few posts now who said when applying for a liscense no one would give you one,

(sorry, i should use the quotes!!)

I had an underage and reported it on my amcas. I haven't had a single question about it in interviews. I also just got accepted to a top 20 med school. It doesn't ruin your chances. Just don't get more than one.

If i was on the admissions committee I would not let anyone in who did NOT drink underage.

im with this guy. i mean, cmon....if you haven't at least had ONE drink as an undergrad, that's just sad (you are really missing out). I mean, even if you are super studious (which is a really good thing to be), you can spare ONE night out of the seven day week to go to a party or chill with ur friends...

as to the OP, i doubt it will be a problem :luck:

Underage Drinking
Underage drinking is a serious problem. The total cost attributable to the consequences of underage drinking was almost $62 billion per year in 2001 dollars. (Miller, et al, 2006) Drinking before the age of 21 is associated with:

Damage to growing brains (White, 2001; Kuhn et al, 1998; Giedd, 1999)
Alcohol dependence (Grant and Dawson, 1997; Grant, 1998; Hingson et al, 2003)
Violence (Hingson, et al, Fall 2001; Hingson and Kenkel, 2003)
Dropping out of school (NIDA, 1998)
Drinking and driving (Hingson, et al, Jan. 2001; Hingson et al, 2003)
Riding with drinking drivers (Hingson, et al, Jan. 2001)
Unplanned and unsafe sex (Cooper, 2002)
Fatalities and injuries from drownings, burns, falls, (Levy, July 1999) homicides, suicides, (Institute of Medicine, 2003) and crashes (Levy, July 1999; Hingson and Kenkel, 2003; Hingson et al, 2003).

Members don't see this ad :)
people who hope to get into medical school and become doctors DRINK!?!? like alcohol!?!? REALLY?!?!? :eek:

*sighs, shakes head*

I know this would not be applicable with something like an MIP, but this brings up a good question:

If a med school looked past a big no-no (violent crime, drugs, DUI, etc.) and you then went through the expense and time of med school, could you still be refused a licence? I mean, it would really suck to not get in b/c of something like that, but to not be granted a license after all of that work... wow.

I know this would not be applicable with something like an MIP, but this brings up a good question:

If a med school looked past a big no-no (violent crime, drugs, DUI, etc.) and you then went through the expense and time of med school, could you still be refused a licence? I mean, it would really suck to not get in b/c of something like that, but to not be granted a license after all of that work... wow.

i think that's part of the concern. what good is it to train someone if they won't ultimately be able to practice?

That's a huge issue with law schools, actually. They'll admit you, educate you for 3 years for thousands of dollars, and then your state's bar won't accept you and you've got an absolutely worthless degree and massive amounts of debt.

Damage to growing brains (White, 2001; Kuhn et al, 1998; Giedd, 1999)
Alcohol dependence (Grant and Dawson, 1997; Grant, 1998; Hingson et al, 2003)
Violence (Hingson, et al, Fall 2001; Hingson and Kenkel, 2003)
Dropping out of school (NIDA, 1998)
Drinking and driving (Hingson, et al, Jan. 2001; Hingson et al, 2003)
Riding with drinking drivers (Hingson, et al, Jan. 2001)
Unplanned and unsafe sex (Cooper, 2002)
Fatalities and injuries from drownings, burns, falls, (Levy, July 1999) homicides, suicides, (Institute of Medicine, 2003) and crashes (Levy, July 1999; Hingson and Kenkel, 2003; Hingson et al, 2003).

And everyone knows that once a person is over 21 they're no longer at risk for any of these

#1: You must report institutional actions.

#2: An alcohol violation will not will not eliminate you from consideration by medical school adcoms.

#3: An alcohol violation as a minor will not make you ineligible for medical licensure.

I got an underage ticket as a freshman, but in the state I was living (I've since transferred) I got out of it by taking a dumb alcohol class. I was under the impression that it could be a pretty bad thing to have on your record, and that it doesn't go away later or anything, but I'm sure you can get in with a charge like that as long as you've shown that you have learned and grown since then. But if there is a way you can pay a bunch of money/take a class to get it off your record I would DEFINITELY do that. My stupid $500 class was worth not having to worry about it.

I interviewed at Loma Linda and on their secondary there is a place where you put if you have had drinks before, currently drink or do other drugs. I put that I have consumed alcohol in the past, but don't consider it a huge part of my social life. One of my interviewers brought it up and thanked me for telling the truth and that it made the biggest difference between me and other applicants.

I'm not telling everyone to do that on their secondary, but I think it's great that a school with a very strict alcohol policy actually rewarded me for not lying on the secondary.

Not that this is an underage drinking issue, but I think for LLU it is looked upon as the same kind of law-breaking.

I think that if the offense required some institutional action (probation, suspension, expulsion), I think you may have some answering to do and explaining to do both at the application stages and the interview stages.